Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

I know Snyder owns this board so maybe this is why most of these candidates you all are naming are Snyder-esque (Wade Phillips, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith) type of guys.  None of these candidates should be willing to accept a position under a head coach they are more qualified than to be the head coach.  Some of these guys, including Fangio and Bowles, were possible candidates for our HC job last year but were passed on. Snyder likes guys with name recognition and even though Gruden wasn’t the Gruden we wanted, the name is still attached, just like Bruce Allen is attached to George Allen.

The only guy he has hired without much name recognition was an incompetent HC Jim Zorn and we couldn’t get anyone better bc a head coach won’t come here when we already have his coordinators in place.

We need to think outside the box like we did in Joe Gibbs in 1981 and look for guys who are not current DC’s and find a quality position coach who is hungry for a chance to be a DC.  Guys like Kris Richard, Rocky Seto and Ken Norton in Seattle for instance.  Dan Quinn, Seattle’s current DC will get a HC job this year and will likely bring one of these guys with him.  Pete Carroll will replace Quinn with another one of these guys so hopefully one will be left over.  I’m not saying wait until Quinn and Carroll move but we need to check them all out.

If we can’t get one of the Seattle guys, then look at people like Pepper Johnson (Bills), Todd Wash (Jaguars), Jay Hayes (Bengals), Mike Waufle (Rams) and Ted Monachino (Ravens).  Wash and Hayes would probably be more likely since they have previous relationships with Gruden in Tampa (ugh) and Cincinnati (respectively).

In regards to Snyder being involved with the Haslett decision, I don’t think any other owner is involved in what assistant coaches the head coach wants to bring in.  Snyder should stay out of all football-related business and stick to possibly getting butts in the seats next year.  Snyder is not Jerry Jones and never played a down of football in his life, he probably was the football if so.

Snyder couldn't fire Jay after 1 year, but he likely will after next year if we win less than 6 games.  Besides the general dysfunction, this job is also less attractive because there is a good chance there will be a house cleaning after next year.  It's best to line up the contractual years of the staff to be the same as the head coach.  This was a major failure last year.  The coaching staff should have been cleaned out the same time that Jay was hired.

I doubt the top guys will come here unless they have no other options or it is a promotion (i.e. currently a LB coach).  Wade might accept it because of his son and his age (probably not concerned about long term stability). 

I just think Gruden need REAL help on offense so he can be a actual head coach... And yes that is a direct shot at McVay. We need a real OC. Gruden call the play to McVay and her relay it to the QB. Thats what I call Mickey Mouse Horse Sh..

There is no way JG can say he didnt have too much on his plate because he did.

and I would say the opposite, sorta. I felt the real problem was the OL getting ran over like a steam roller and the stupid zone blocking scheme they are using. I think if they can bring in a better OL coach, and to me that would be Russ Grimm if available and willing to do the job. Then go out and get some big OL who won't get ran over. I that simply better blocking and giving the QB more time and better protection will help whoever is back there and allow this scheme to work. 

I will say though picking up a really good QB coach will go miles also. That alone would allow Gruden to handle all the other stuff vs. being up the QB's butts all summer. 

His defenses in Atlanta were subpar IMO... does anyone have the stats from 03-07 when he was DC with Jags?

If your referring to Mike Smith? he was DL coach in Baltimore under Rex Ryan as DC when they went to the SB. Somewhere in there he was the LB's coach for Baltimore also. My understanding he had a really good defense in Jacksonville when he was a DC which helped him get the HCing job in Atlanta. 

My dream would have been to make Rex DC/Asst. HC and then add Mike Smith as DL coach. 

I think we should pay attention to who the 49'ers are interviewing right now? Dan Quinn (Seattle's DC), Todd Bowles (Arizona DC) and Jim Mora (UCLA HC).

Quinn and Bowles won't come here I think, but what about Jim Mora? He's intruiging to me, Mike Singletary too btw.

This hire is important. If Gruden is canned whoever the DC is could be the next head coach. Names I wouldn't mind:

Fangio, Spanos, Olivadotti, Baker(at least talk to him), Phillips, Smart. I reserve the right to expand or shorten this list.

They need to take a good look at Fred Pugac who is the Buffalo linebackers coach. He is in his early 60's and has some DC experience with the Vikings. I don't know if many of you are aware of Buffalo's D, but they are nasty and might be the best tackling team in the league. He has no chance at an upgrade in Buffalo with Schwartz there as the DC and I think this guy deserves a shot at a DC position somewhere. He's obviously not one of the sexy names out there, but I think this is the type of guy that would be good for the Skins. 

Fire Allen. Or move him FAR away from football matters. 

Hire a proven, proper football GM with NO allegiance to this organisation. 

Let said new GM decided whether to keep or (please God) can Gruden's incompetent ass. 

Then, and ONLY then, can the HC our new man has gone with set about forming his staff. 

ANYTHING else is a fruitless exercise if ti involves changing under the present structure when chances are all that structure will be out on their behinds 12 months down the line. 

Hail. 

This is the only proper response.

I know people don't want someone cutting their teeth in the NFL but I think I could learn to deal with one of these if we were able to get them.....

Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State Spartans has built the toughest Defense the last 3 years in a row. 

Kirby Smart, Alabama Crimson Tide 

or anyone of these other perhaps.....

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/kirby-smart-brent-venables-pat-narduzzi-top-10-defensive-coordinators-coaching-carousel-081214

Phillip Daniels tweeting it will be Morris.....Please nooooooooo !!!!! :wacko:

Please God, no!  That would be right out of the frying pan and into the fire.  Besides, it's WAY too early for the FO - even one as bad as the Skins - to be making any noises about who it will be.  Daniels has to be speculating...  

I know people don't want someone cutting their teeth in the NFL but I think I could learn to deal with one of these if we were able to get them.....

Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State Spartans has built the toughest Defense the last 3 years in a row. 

Kirby Smart, Alabama Crimson Tide 

or anyone of these other perhaps.....

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/kirby-smart-brent-venables-pat-narduzzi-top-10-defensive-coordinators-coaching-carousel-081214

Can cross off Narduzzi who took the head job at Pitt.  None of these guys, unless they know Gruden already, will come here.  These guys are all college guys who want to be a HC and going from college to the NFL in the same position isnt necessarily a promotion.

What is with this ownership and picking coaches? I never saw anything in Haslett, baffled me why he was brought in. Morris as well. I've yet to see anything remotely out of Morris that makes me say "Oh heck yea make him DC." I mean if he can't coach the DB's how's he gunna coach the whole defense? 

I'd rather go outside the organization at this point. Hopefully they can agree to part ways with Morris as well. 

What is with this ownership and picking coaches? I never saw anything in Haslett, baffled me why he was brought in. Morris as well. I've yet to see anything remotely out of Morris that makes me say "Oh heck yea make him DC." I mean if he can't coach the DB's how's he gunna coach the whole defense? 

I'd rather go outside the organization at this point. Hopefully they can agree to part ways with Morris as well.

There is a lot and I mean a lot of noise right now on twitter saying Morris very well might be the man.  IF so, when we finish 3-13 or at best 5-11 in 2015 the whole bunch of baggage of coaches to include Allen will be flushed out and yep, we start all over again.  Jeez!

Biggest challenge will be convincing a quality up and comer to take their chances on an organization as dysfunctional as the Skins and an owner as incompetent and nasty as Snyder.

We may be stuck with who we get (ala Zorn when we needed a HC)

Not necessarily. We did get Gibbs back after Spurrier and then Shanny after Zorn.  Granted those were head coaching positions.  I would imagine DC or OC would be easier hires.

This team is like cancer to me. Slowly eating me away. I was around for the SB years and can remember them so the last 20 yrs have been killing me. The whole time I keep telling myself every team goes through rough patches and comes out after a few years. Every year I tell myself its changed but it doesn't. Every year I see this team as the "Off Season Champion" to end up last in the division. Then at the end of the last few years minus 2012 I feel like just packing it in and going elsewhere, but being a life long fan I have this horrible feeling when I do this team will finally get it together. 

I'm just getting so burnt out and tired of the failed attempt at winning all the time. As we all have heard the grumbling from the fans about Haslett I don't think too many people are exceptionally high on Morris either. People can be upset at Gruden but he has shown his system works as it did in Cinci. I feel the major difference between the two was the OL and it's blocking/scheme. I feel with the right OL coach, maybe a QB to work with the QB's over the off season maybe studying film, working on technique the offense will be better. 

But defense has shown nothing. Morris has not shown that his coaching made the DB's better and that he is worthy of being the DC. If anything I feel from what I see him doing is that the Defense will get worse under him. 

Bring in Wade Phillips, let him pick his assistants,  and figure out what to do with the OL and it's OL coach.

Edit: let Gruden figure out what to do with the OL. lol. no Phillips. 

Archived