Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

They probably already have their guy that's buddy buddy with Allen and Gruden and then will have numerous meaningless interviews with good candidates.. 

If they are available I'd like Sean McDermott, Ron Rivera or Vic Fangio. Not that any of them would like to come here..

any idea when we'll start seeing leaks and rumors about who the skins are in talks with for the new DC job?

interviewing when you have an opening isn't really a leak. But I imagine it'll happen soonish.

as far as DC. Fangio is going to interview for the HC gig in San Fran. I wouldn't be THAT shocked if he got it. If he doesn't. Yeah...he would be great. But also probably gone in a season or two if he turns it around here.

There are a lot of qualified defensive position coaches who are probably ready for the gig. We don't have the org to identify that guy. That's a shame. I'd like to get somebody who's hungry and ready for the job. Energy and innovation....and real coaching.

It'll probably be Raheem or some other Tampa bay castoff.

this is my best guess or Rex Ryan. i like Ryan as a DC, but i think he would be a terrible hire for us because:

1) publicity hound....last thing we need is MORE publicity, more crazy PC's, & MORE controversy/drama.

2) i'm fairly certain he'll continue to angle for a HC spot as early as possible wherever he goes, & i don't want a short-term solution to our defensive woes...i want a guy who doesn't mind sticking to what he does well (see Dick LeBeau) & honing that craft.

3) did i mention controversy? as much as Gruden fails at keeping things in-house...combine that with Ryan & i think it will be a circus worthy of putting the Ringling Bros to shame.

i'm on record for preferring Fangio or Spanos (most preferably Spanos) as my main options....i just don't have any faith that our organization will make a good decision....i figure they'll look to make a splashy hire, & we'll be doomed to suffer evermore as a result.

Fangio is the only name on my list, if he doesn't get the San Fran job I'd hope he'd want to make a change.

If that doesn't happen id settle for Wade.

We don't need a young up and coming DC. Gruden has enough things to figure out, he doesn't need a DC who is trying to figure it out too.

Wade Phillips turned that terrible Houston defense around in one year, he could do the same here.

Another problem is Gruden is a bad coach.  Most of us already knew this before the hire, but whatever.  We will lose again next year, go 5-11 and fire him and start looking all over again.  Rinse Repeat.

I just think Gruden need REAL help on offense so he can be a actual head coach... And yes that is a direct shot at McVay. We need a real OC. Gruden call the play to McVay and her relay it to the QB. Thats what I call Mickey Mouse Horse Sh..

There is no way JG can say he didnt have too much on his plate because he did.

Phillips *appears* to be in the best position to get it.

He's proven, has ties to the franchise (son, at our games, etc.), but there's a lot that could be going on behind the scenes that might make him less likely that we don't really know about.

I'd like to give Spanos a chance if we could pry him.  He's what, low 40s, but has done pretty darn well wherever he's gone, with maybe the exception of TENN, but they're in a rut like we are, so can't expect too much from him this year.  Spanos is on the rise, and if he came here and we gave him 3-5 years and he turned things around, I imagine he'd be pretty happy with things too.  He's 3-5 years away from being a big name anyway, and if no one else hands him a DC job, we probably should.

We're probably way down on Ryan's list, so I consider him out.

Fangio is interesting.  We'll see what happens, but if I was him I'd probably avoid us.  He's now a bigger name, and probably has a shot at some nice jobs as a result of his time in SF.  We....tend to be the kiss of death...so if I was him, I'd probably look to keep moving on up, or at least move laterally into a position where you're likely to succeed.

If a Coach can't pick his own staff what worth the Coach?

Not just here but in ANY pro football organisation. 

Hail. 

I agree to a point but what if Gruden was serious about bringing haz back-- I think after 5 years of dysfunction if Snyder or Allen stepped in and said "it's time for a change" its one time I don't mind nor fault them for doing so

MIKE SINGLETARY

THAT IS ALL

So he can moon the players when they under-perform at halftime?

I agree to a point but what if Gruden was serious about bringing haz back-- I think after 5 years of dysfunction if Snyder or Allen stepped in and said "it's time for a change" its one time I don't mind nor fault them for doing so .....

By all accounts Snyder did.

Gruden and Allen were lobbying for Hasshole hard!

Says it all when the demonised owner is the one man who saved us from ourselves.

Mores the pity we'll have to wait another year to see the back of the good old boys club once and for all.

Hail.

By all accounts Snyder did.

Gruden and Allen were lobbying for Hasshole hard!

Says it all when the demonised owner is the one man who saved us from ourselves.

Mores the pity we'll have to wait another year to see the back of the good old boys club once and for all.

Hail.

Well like I said this is ONE instance where I think Snyder should step in--- I think anyone would be better as DC-- I will be very disappointed if we promote Raheem but almost anyone else I would be Ok or happy with.

Very few people I can think of that would be worse than haz (Mel Tucker and Monte Kiffin come to mind though)

So Rex Ryan is most likely going to be the Falcons head coach IMO and has said numerous times he has no interest in becoming a coordinator so that's out.  

I'd like us to start by firing Raheem Morris who absolutely sucks at coaching DB's.  Making a hard run at Wade Phillips.

Archived