Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

What are your thoughts on Donatell IF Phillips decides to stay retired?

Phillips wants to coach. 

The question isn't "Will Phillips do it?" The question should be, "Will the Redskins hire him?"

Donatell is a smart football guy. And by all accounts a solid coach. But, Phillips track record speaks for itself. 3-4 aggressive 1-gap with cover 4 base (or 8 [which puts more pressure on the safeties to be good vertical defenders, but less in the sense that they have more help from the LBs]) is a great fit for this team. Truthfully, I've wanted Phillips since we hired Haslett.

I like Fangio and think he could be great as well. They are 1a and 1b for me, in no order.

This is from an interview last February (2014), about him retiring (Wade Phillips):

So, looks like he's willing as long as someone calls him up, and he's a big Redskins fan and his son is here...

His son being here is a large bargaining chip. Unless, of course, the 'Skins are planning on firing him. Then kiss Wade goodbye.

Bruce Allen is all about relationships, you have his back, he will have yours.  is there really going to be any contest for this job?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2015/01/01/redskins-begin-lining-up-candidates-for-defensive-coordinator-opening/?postshare=6781420136122281

Barry has ties to Redskins coach Jay Gruden, general manager Bruce Allen, Morris and personnel executive Doug Williams, having worked with them at Tampa Bay, where he coached linebackers from 2001-06. Barry left Tampa to serve as defensive coordinator in Detroit from 2007-08 and then returned to Tampa as linebackers coach in 2009.

Kirk Olividotti.  Are we not even considering one of our own?  He's done an awesome job with our linebackers and the players seem to respect him.  Not to mention I've seen Fletcher make a comment about him being a great coach as well.

Are we overlooking a potential guy who's on our own staff?????  Just saying.

If Fangio is off the board, I have no hesitation in saying Phillips needs to be #1 target.

I'll pass on a 68 year old coordinator ta. All be it a proven one. I like Wade but I DON'T want him here. 

Give me an up and coming, young, passionate guy like Spanos. 

Although as I am totally resigned to the good old boy network remaining in place for one more year, the best and cheapest option would be to just promote Morris, get this year out of the way; THEN hire who we want going forward with the rest of the new staff and FO. 

Morris works fine for me if it brings us to where we already should be. 

Hail. 

Dear sweet fancy moses.

This is as 

If we're thinking about firing Gruden next year, and hiring both a real GM and HC, wouldn't you want a DC next year who's expendable?  You get some marquee guy who wants multiple, guaranteed years, that hamstrings the next GM/HC.

Then fire Gruden this year.  

I mean, I understand the possible situation, but we would be hamstringing our ability to hire a decent DC by keeping our current HC out of fear that hiring a decent DC will hamstring our future HC's ability to run the team.

If we're gonna fire Gruden next year, fire him now.  Lame duck HCs do nothing but piss off the fan base and fail miserably.

Heck, the next coach might just hire Phillips anyway.  He's such a blindingly obvious choice that I bet that if we compiled a list of possible Gruden replacements, and polled them on their top 3 DCs (assuming we keep 3-4), Phillips would be on that list a good amount.

Also, we should begin slipping in a "If you are fired in the same offseason as X+ other coaches and your unit has averaged below 20th, then the Washington Redskins are relieved of all financial duties" clause in coach contracts (for HC's we would use a win%.  Maybe .450 win%?)

Essentially, a "blow it up" clause.  If you suck, and a bunch of the other coaches suck, and the win record sucks, we should reserve the right to blow up the team without owing people tons of cash.

Though I do wonder if other coaches would buy that.  Probably a pretty big turnoff since most of the reason anyone comes here is for the big guaranteed payday.

Kirk Olividotti.  Are we not even considering one of our own?  He's done an awesome job with our linebackers and the players seem to respect him.  Not to mention I've seen Fletcher make a comment about him being a great coach as well.

Are we overlooking a potential guy who's on our own staff?????  Just saying.

We need a fresh face with new ideas. I honestly cant believe they havent hired Wade yet. He is right there for you bozo's get him signed on. This Front office is beyond clueless.

If we're thinking about firing Gruden next year, and hiring both a real GM and HC, wouldn't you want a DC next year who's expendable?  You get some marquee guy who wants multiple, guaranteed years, that hamstrings the next GM/HC.

My sentiments exactly. 

Go cheap, bump Morris, and sort this out properly this time next year when Snyder eats Grudens deal and makes the sweeping changes he's frustratingly leaving alone for one more outing of the band. 

Hail. 

Bruce Allen is all about relationships, you have his back, he will have yours.  is there really going to be any contest for this job?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2015/01/01/redskins-begin-lining-up-candidates-for-defensive-coordinator-opening/?postshare=6781420136122281

Barry has ties to Redskins coach Jay Gruden, general manager Bruce Allen, Morris and personnel executive Doug Williams, having worked with them at Tampa Bay, where he coached linebackers from 2001-06. Barry left Tampa to serve as defensive coordinator in Detroit from 2007-08 and then returned to Tampa as linebackers coach in 2009.

Again, this would piss me off.  I WISH someone would ask Allen in a press conference and really stick "the point of the knife" in his belly that everyone that has been hired to the most important coaching positions have had ties to TB and it seems to be a good ole boy network deal IF either Morris or this Barry fella are hired.

If we're gonna fire Gruden next year, fire him now.  Lame duck HCs do nothing but piss off the fan base and fail miserably.

Does anyone honestly NOT see Gruden as a 'lame duck' HC next year?

Unless things turn DRAMATICALLY he's gone. And mercifully that will mean Allen follows him and, please God, Snyder FINALLY rips the WHOLE mess up once and for all. 

By all accounts per the guys that follow the team up close he just didn't want to eat the contract 1 year in. But Gruden is on a 1 year trial if he isn't to do that this time next year. 

Already consigned 2015 to the trash bin and I'm grasping to the hope of starting over in 2016 from top to bottom. 

Hail. 

My sentiments exactly. 

Go cheap, bump Morris, and sort this out properly this time next year when Snyder eats Grudens deal and makes the sweeping changes he's frustratingly leaving alone for one more outing of the band. 

Hail. 

Makes sense BUT Snyder IF/WHEN he fires Allen and Co. is uncomfortable in hiring someone that has any past vet experience as a GM or HC.

Jay is likely a lame duck.  But even playing with it, why not hire a guy who can turn this defense around and potentially become the next head coach.   Or if a new head coach takes over, he sees a guy that turns around a putrid defense into something good, he might not automatically discard a coach who had that kind of success.  

I don't like Jay so far but I think getting rid of him won't be hard.   Moving Bruce out of the GM spot in my view is the big challenge and by a mile will have a bigger impact on the direction of this franchise.   So empowering one more of Bruce's buddies like Raheem to have his back, isn't what I'd like to see. 

My sentiments exactly. 

Hail. 

I'm sorry an organization can not think this way.  There is so much money on the line, and season ticket renewals, etc.

Phillips wants to coach. 

The question isn't "Will Phillips do it?" The question should be, "Will the Redskins hire him?"

His son being here is a large bargaining chip. Unless, of course, the 'Skins are planning on firing him. Then kiss Wade goodbye.

This is an interesting and unfortunate wrinkle.  TE's had their share of problems this year (who didn't) and anyone eyeing underperforming units and coaches in need of serious scrutiny couldn't miss Wes Phillips.

I don't buy that theory at all.

If true, Bruce knows he's a dead man walking already. He'd be basically canning himself. Just don't see it.

This is an interesting and unfortunate wrinkle.  TE's had their share of problems this year (who didn't) and anyone eyeing underperforming units and coaches in need of serious scrutiny couldn't miss Wes Phillips.

Reed was injured as he has been most of his short career.  Niles Paul drops a ton of passes however he did better this year than in previous years (I give credit to Wes Phillips) and Paulson is too slow but is a decent blocking TE.  We need to improve as far as talent is concerned in the TE department.  Wes, did a decent job this year as TE coach.  IF Wade was hired, I'd be happy.  It'd be a good improvement over what we have had in a very long time.

This isn't the government where people are elected to terms and "lame ducks" are merely administrations where they and/or the other side (Congress) refuses to work with them.

If you're going to fire the HC after 2015,

And the DC (Morris),

And probably the OC (McVay),

And another half dozen people,

Then do it now.

And if the GM is in that group too, then Dan needs to nut up and fire Bruce too.

We should NEVER, EVER go into a season with the expectation that everyone is nothing more than a lame duck placeholder because Dan doesn't want to pay people dead money.

But as you say, we're not a professional organization.  Dan, Bruce, and everyone else up there with any amount of power are nothing more than fans, and not even smart fans with good heads on their shoulders like Monk4theHall or TK or KDawg or [insert any one of like 50 people from here, here], but dumb fans who derp things up and pick their friends over qualified people and then suddenly worry about money (after tossing it around like 5000% inflation was hitting tomorrow).

Reed was injured as he has been most of his short career.  Niles Paul drops a ton of passes however he did better this year than in previous years (I give credit to Wes Phillips) and Paulson is too slow but is a decent blocking TE.  We need to improve as far as talent is concerned in the TE department.  Wes, did a decent job this year as TE coach.  IF Wade was hired, I'd be happy.  It'd be a good improvement over what we have had in a very long time.

The larger problem is that none of them can block worth a lick.  They seem to suffer with the same malaise as the O-line and backs in this regard. Just block somebody already! To be fair, outside of Reed's routes and hands, there isn't a lot to work with at the position and this has to be addressed this coming off-season.  But, yeah, the blocking was atrocious.

I'm firmly in the Wade Phillips camp at this point.  He seems proven to be able to get more out of less.

Normally I think of a Lame Duck coach as one who is in the last season of his contract and his future status with the team is in doubt.  So the players do not respect nor listen to him. 

While I think there is some fire under Jay, that 5 year deal goes a long way to tell me that he is not necessarily a lame duck next season.  And, I am not a huge Jay fan based on what I saw this season....

So, I do not know why we would potentially settle on another DC like Morris when we could have "Pot Roast" like Phillips.  So sign Wade for a year or two deal, and have him groom a younger coach like a Baker, Olvidotti, Donatelli, or whomever.  If Gruden proves himself then our DC position should be solid for the future.  If Gruden gets canned, then Phillips was not under a long term contract anyhow. 

But, Just take a look at Wade's history as a DC....and it is pretty impressive.  While I understand the youth argument.....just think that....right now....Gruden would do better with a proven DC like Phillips than rolling the dice with unproven names. 

Again, this would piss me off.  I WISH someone would ask Allen in a press conference and really stick "the point of the knife" in his belly that everyone that has been hired to the most important coaching positions have had ties to TB and it seems to be a good ole boy network deal IF either Morris or this Barry fella are hired.

Yes!  Too bad that one didn't pop up yesterday.  I hope that press conf. had an affect on Allen, but I'm sure the odds of that are slim. 

I'd be ok with a good-ole-boy network involving a proficient franchise somewhere, but what in what ways has Tampa Bay been a model of NFL success??  Sheeez....... 

This isn't the government where people are elected to terms and "lame ducks" are merely administrations where they and/or the other side (Congress) refuses to work with them.

If you're going to fire the HC after 2015,

And the DC (Morris),

And probably the OC (McVay),

And another half dozen people,

Then do it now.

And if the GM is in that group too, then Dan needs to nut up and fire Bruce too.

We should NEVER, EVER go into a season with the expectation that everyone is nothing more than a lame duck placeholder because Dan doesn't want to pay people dead money.

But as you say, we're not a professional organization.  Dan, Bruce, and everyone else up there with any amount of power are nothing more than fans, and not even smart fans with good heads on their shoulders like Monk4theHall or TK or KDawg or [insert any one of like 50 people from here, here], but dumb fans who derp things up and pick their friends over qualified people and then suddenly worry about money (after tossing it around like 5000% inflation was hitting tomorrow).

We all know what SHOULD happen man. and should of happened as soon as the gun went against Dallas. 

But the last paragraph above is why we'll have to suffer through another wasted, non event year. 

It's sadly how we continue to roil. 

Hail. 

Supposedly meeting with 49ers DC Fangio has already been set, 49ers DB coach (Ed Donatell?), and Chargers LB's coach (Joe Barry). 

Via Fox 5 Sports.

Here.....

http://www.chatsports.com/washington-redskins/a/Redskins-begin-lining-up-candidates-for-defensive-coordinator-opening-0-10950167

The team is expected to meet with San Francisco 49ers defensive backs coach Ed Donatell and San Diego Chargers’ linebackers coach Joe Barry, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed. The Redskins also have requested permission to interview 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, but had yet to receive clearance to do so as of early Thursday afternoon. 

Another league source said that the Redskins may consider interviewing long-time defensive coordinator Wade Phillips for the position.

Archived