Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

Man I hope we hire Wade. Can't be Raheem, fanbase won't buy into it and why should we? Team needs to distance itself from failures on D, Raheem good or bad is still a reminder of the failures. Wade is legit, would help out Jay big time, and show the fan base that coaching staff is being taken seriously. 

Make AJ personnel exec, do some spring cleaning in the scouting department, hire a QB coach, draft OL high and target quality ones in FA, same with secondary, and the team is in much better shape IMO and fans would actually be looking forward to next season.

When the Chargers won the AFC West and qualified for the playoffs in 2004 on the heels of a 4-12 season in 2003, Wade kept his streak intact of helping to turn teams with non-winning records into playoff participants the following year.

Phillips earned recognition as the PFW/PFWA Assistant Coach of the Year in 2011 after the Texans’ defense finished second in the NFL with 285.7 yards allowed per game. Phillips installed a 3-4 scheme that yielded the third-largest single-year improvement since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, flipping a unit that gave up 379.6 yards per game and ranked 31st in the NFL in 2010.

Houston allowed the fourth-fewest points in the league in 2011 (compared to fourth most in 2010) the second-fewest yards allowed (third-most in 2010) and third-fewest yards per play (4.8, compared to 6.0, second-worst in 2010).

On Jan. 27, 2012, he was also named Sporting News 2011 NFL Coordinator of the Year

"I don't know anybody who doesn't like Wade Phillips," says former NFL coach Dan Reeves. "He makes everyone around him comfortable, from the owner right down to the janitor."

http://www.wadephillips.net/biographyht.htm

If they decide to do this the right way, I still wouldn't count Olivadotti out of the race yet. Guy knows football.

Depends what route they take. If they want a proven guy, Phillips is a fairly obvious choice. If they want "new blood" Olivadotti is a great choice. If they want the good ol boys, Morris fits the bill.

It's gonna be Joe Barry isn't it...

I'm sorry, but anyone tied to Tampa, I'm just...no. 

Ha. Here's a post of mine written nearly exactly a year ago:

Welp, since it's already established that Bruce is using the fraternity.com search method, I guess you put Joe Berry's name in there too, for DC.

Don't know him from Adam and don't know if he's any good, but we have an established track record here with Bruce. Might as well keep making it a family affair.

​Haha. It's just ... phew. 

draft OL high and target quality ones in FA, same with secondary, and the team is in much better shape IMO and fans would actually be looking forward to next season.

I think part of the sell to get a credible DC here will involve saying we are going to target D heavily at the start of FA and at the top of the draft.

If they decide to do this the right way, I still wouldn't count Olivadotti out of the race yet. Guy knows football.

Depends what route they take. If they want a proven guy, Phillips is a fairly obvious choice. If they want "new blood" Olivadotti is a great choice. If they want the good ol boys, Morris fits the bill.

Everything I'm seeing so far, seems "doing it the right way".

But, Even if you want to make it so, you may make some mistakes.

I'm fine with Wade Philips and Olivadotti. But I would prefer Olivadotti to me. It would be a better choice long term than Philips. And we've already had dad and son working together for not so great results.

I always liked to give guys a chance, to see what they're really up to. Perhaps Olivadotti is a better LB coach than a DC. Who knows? Phiips is a better DC than HC according to his history (and he's not that bad as HC).

Many here seems to think that you better have proven guys at key positions than some new blood. They forget that those guys with experience were first given a chance to see what they were really worth, and stood to it. Some might has well fail at some point, but rebound elsewhere. That happen all the time. Many successful HC got fired from their first job, to go on win SB on other teams.

Philips and Olivadotti, even Donatell (always good to have some TMNT in here, just in case...) all looks fine to me. Just like Gruden seemed like the right guy to get. Even if that looks weird after his first year, I'm still behind him.

And if we end up with Gruden, as HC and Olivadotti as DC. If Gruden finally fails and Olivadotti turns this thing out on the D side, he would be an easy choice as a future HC. Almost same thing for Donatell, while Philips is closer to retire definately.

Everything I'm seeing so far, seems "doing it the right way".

But, Even if you want to make it so, you may make some mistakes.

I said that last year. Word for word. We wound up with a dog and pony it's possible they do it the right way, but I'll wait and see.

And if we end up with Gruden, as HC and Olivadotti as DC. If Gruden finally fails and Olivadotti turns this thing out on the D side, he would be an easy choice as a future HC. Almost same thing for Donatell, while Philips is closer to retire definately.

I made the same point days ago, and that should be considered. Still, Phillips' style would fit our personnel very well. 3-4 cover 4/8. Aggressive?

Hope not. I think we need Ol, more.

It depends what faith Gruden has in his 2014 signings when we picked up an OG straight away in FA followed by both an OG and OT within our first three picks in the draft.

I'd hope we'd pick an OL early in the draft but think we're going defence heavy.

I made the same point days ago, and that should be considered. Still, Phillips' style would fit our personnel very well. 3-4 cover 4/8. Aggressive?

I would hope that if Phillips comes here KO becomes his mentee, and is sort of groomed to be his successor.

As good as Phillips has been, if he's hired I question whether he's a 5 year solution.  Maybe more like 3, if we don't blow it up.

The funny thing about this whole situation is that Gruden is the biggest impediment to getting a good DC it seems.  If he's out in a year, the new HC could want to change everything.  Phillips and KO could be out, unless somebody from within moves up, which is probably not going to happen.

Snyder knows he needs to bring in a big enough name to get a bit of fan interest back. Promoting Morris makes zero sense. 

Wade Phillips I can definitely see happening. Ticks all the boxes. 

Are you saying you would be happy and it's the "right decision" if Morris would be promoted to DC?  Morris is borderline AWFUL and it's just as amazing he is still here coaching this team as Haslett was.  Continues to field the worst DBs year after year.

Are you saying you would be happy and it's the "right decision" if Morris would be promoted to DC? Morris is borderline AWFUL and it's just as amazing he is still here coaching this team as Haslett was. Continues to field the worst DBs year after year.

No not at all. I'm all for Wade Phillips getting the job personally. Morris should have been fired along with Haslett in my opinion.

I said from Snyder's point of view it makes zero sense to promote Morris. He needs a big name hire which will get a bit of excitement back in the fanbase.

I don't see a promotion of Morris happening.

I'd be happy with anyone who doesn't have a track record of failure at this point. That means no Morris, no Barry, maybe no Donatell. 

Either someone with a record of success i.e. Phillips or a promising positional coach from a team with a good defense and good results at the coach's position group. 

I wish DanAllen really knew the mental state of the fans because they are one Morris-to-DCoord promotion away from a damn riot.

Ed Donatell-My 1st choice

Wade Phillips-2nd choice

Distant, distant, distant distant, distant, distant

Distant, distant, distant 3rd

Barry

Sheehan said today his sources tell him Barry is in the lead because of the Bruce-Jay connections.  Phillips though has a shot.  If its Barry I bet the media has lots of fun with the infamous 0-16 year with the Lions.

Head Coaching candidates usually spend a few hours interviewing. Joe Barry met with Redskins yesterday & today. Told he has inside track

Archived