Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I feel your sentiment with the terrible safety play, but I feel like the skins have at least tried at the position. We routinely draft 1 or 2 safeties a year and we nearly always sign at least one free agent safety. We've just had poor luck, bad coaching, and poor scouting.

I feel like it's one of the few positions that have been emphasized.

Have not signed a top tier Free Agent Safety nor drafted one. Everything has been bubble gum to hold the fort together. It has pretty much always blown up badly. Most thought Landry was that big time safety but he turned out to be a horrible bust 

Landry, Philip Thomas, and kevin Barnes were valuable picks. We had a bunch of later round picks like chris Horton, gomes, Bernstein, Kareem moore, and rambo.

In free agency we went after oj atogwe, Ryan clark, biggers, and merriweather. That's just off the top of my head.

Talented safeties are at a premium and given the rg3 trade and cap problems, we havent been able to spend a lot in free agency or via trades, but weve adressed that position probably more than any other, it just hasn't worked out in our favor post Sean Taylor.

Landry, Philip Thomas, and kevin Barnes were valuable picks. We had a bunch of later round picks like chris Horton, gomes, Bernstein, Kareem moore, and rambo.

In free agency we went after oj atogwe, Ryan clark, biggers, and merriweather. That's just off the top of my head.

Talented safeties are at a premium and given the rg3 trade and cap problems, we havent been able to spend a lot in free agency or via trades, but weve adressed that position probably more than any other, it just hasn't worked out in our favor post Sean Taylor.

Replace Barnes and Biggers (corners, though Biggers played a couple outstandingly bad games at S) with Madieu Williams, Pugh, Robinson, Akeem Davis and Tanard Jackson.

Man, that was painful to type...

@sportjunkie: Agreed. Safety is definitely a position we've tried to address. It's not like we can sign/draft a superstar at any particular position every year--there are 22 positions, or more if you include special teams. And as you say, safeties are rare hen's teeth. Who actually were considered superstar safeties in the last 5 drafts, for example? I can't remember any. With all the new contact rules and such, the days of Lott and Atwood impact-makers are pretty much over, so nowaday safeties have to be some strange manticore-like animal. Good at everything. Line-to-line, 3rd corner, run-stopping, turnover-makers...

Definitely agree on LaRon Landry--when he was here he was better than most we've had at SS. Heck, he looked like he might be one of the league's best pretty soon. Then he sucked.

The one I'm saddest about is Chris Horton. He had flashes of huge talent, but is now out of the league.

Pot Roast is a good pick up, and will demand double teams, allowing the rest of the D to be more aggressive in getting to the QB. Thank God. Man, I can't take another season where the only time we pressure the QB is when we blitz. That was horrible last year. With the obvious exception of Dallas when we dominated them by blitzing, or faking the blitz, on almost every down :D.

The Knighton deal is good for us, and if he lights it up this season, I suspect that living round the corner from his best friend Chris Baker would be a big selling point for him looking at giving us a little discount to keep him in DC. Certainly enough to sway things our way if we matched what he was offered elsewhere.

We do desperately need to pick up some secondary help, either in the draft, or in FA (I suspect we probably get one in FA and draft the other). If Ihenacho can stay healthy, then he's starter calibre at SS but we need to find a FS from somewhere who is serviceable.

In the draft, the only FS I can see who may be ready this season is Hackett, and he has some weaknesses. Holliman is a ball hawk (Better than 1 INT per game on the season!!) but isn't strong enough in the tackle. I really like Durrell Eskridge as a late round sleeper pick. He's a project for sure, and wouldn't be ready this season, but he is smart, and has tonnes of talent and could be coached up to be a decent FS. Probably not an elite FS as he doesn't have the speed, but certainly decent.

We also need a RT who is ready to start. I'm happy to keep Moses around, but we need someone who can step in on day 1 and protect our QBs. I actually feel a little bad for RG3 in this respect, as whilst he did not play anywhere near good enough, he constantly had pressure in his face within milliseconds as Polombus stepped aside and let the D-line get to him. Polombus was certainly up there with the worst in the league in that respect, and whilst I do like Compton, his strength is playing the run, not pass protection, and there were a couple of sacks that were on him, he seems to really struggle against speed rushers. 

*slow clap*  Stoked on the moves the FO has made so far.   All very reasonable contracts with very little downside.    

It remains to be seen but if any of these DL signings pan out but I'm very optimistic.  We got younger and hopefully these guys can create enough of a push to mask our deficiencies in the secondary.  I'd like to see Jarvis J. back too.  

Last year I believe we kept 7 D lineman.  This year I'm guessing same, maybe one more. 

Chris Baker

Ricky Francios

Pot Roast

Jason Hatcher

Paea

Kedric Golston

Frank Kearse

JJ (hopefully) 

Keep that DL fresh with a solid rotation. 

HTTR

We NEED a free safety. Should be to priority. We have ? At a lot of spots, but not there. We don't even have that. There is no larger hole and there is none in the draft.

And people its too. 2 o's. Make an effort.

And brother, it's "it's"

With an apostrophe.

Make an effort.

But in all seriousness, yeah, having a hole at safety would be an upgrade for us the past couple of years.  I believe in GMSM, though.

I think the other question with safety is how much do we believe in Fewel as a DB coach? Can he get Thomas up to speed for instance.  Trenton Richardson had some flashes.  Akim Davis has the raw speed, size, and power but is raw as heck.  I think there's no question we need to add at least one, but I wonder what we have? 

For all other teams, safety is the easiest position to find and draft. For us, it's been all but impossible. I think that must means scheme and coaching are a big part of the reason. McCloughin seems based on his interviews and early actions to be reluctant to overreach or overspend in free agency. If this is a testing year, we might actually see some youngsters get tested.

AdamSchefter
Big early morning move out of Tennessee: Titans reached agreement with former Redskins LB Brian Orakpo, per source.
13/03/2015 11:01

Glad Brian found a new home. Kind of sad it's over. Injuries and Haslett took away so much from his story here. I think he gave what he could.

And brother, it's "it's"

With an apostrophe.

Make an effort.

But in all seriousness, yeah, having a hole at safety would be an upgrade for us the past couple of years.  I believe in GMSM, though.

I really don't get why people get so frustrated about grammar rules. its vs it's. their vs there. your vs you're, etc. Many of us use stuff like speech to text and swype on our phones and those technologies aren't 100% accurate. If people get the idea of our post then what's the point?

And brother, it's "it's"

With an apostrophe.

Make an effort.

But in all seriousness, yeah, having a hole at safety would be an upgrade for us the past couple of years. I believe in GMSM, though.

People like you crack me up. Get over yourself

You know what he's saying that's all that matters.

I really don't get why people get so frustrated about grammar rules. its vs it's. their vs there. your vs you're, etc. Many of us use stuff like speech to text and swype on our phones and those technologies aren't 100% accurate. If people get the idea of our post then what's the point?

People like you crack me up. Get over yourself

You know what he's saying that's all that matters.

If this was the 19th Century some school marm would be rapping both of you pretty hard about the knuckles right now with her ruler.(Missing old smileys) 

Nothing wrong with writing correctly although we all get lazy on a message board at times.  Take your chastisement as deserved.

Just now seeing the Knighton pick-up. 

I was reticent down to his age but 1 year, $ 4 million? Seriously?!!!!! There's absolutely ZERO downside to that. 

Anyone still doubting this GM is for real?

Mac in the MF house!

Hail. 

Agreed.  Smart, smart deal.

And I don't know why anyone, at this point, would doubt McCloughan.  Considering how the Skins have done business for the past 15 years -- I completely trust any decision he makes.  Hiring him is the most exciting thing, at least to me, the Skins have done in a long time. 

MikeGarafolo Brian Orakpo's deal with the Titans: four years, $32 million base value, $35 million max, with $13.5 guaranteed, per source.

13/03/2015 11:47

Good riddance!  Glad to see guys like Rak leave the team.  He wasn't a team player and was exactly what was wrong with the culture of this team.   I wonder if he still thinks he has nothing to prove. 

@sportjunkie: Agreed. Safety is definitely a position we've tried to address. It's not like we can sign/draft a superstar at any particular position every year--there are 22 positions, or more if you include special teams. And as you say, safeties are rare hen's teeth. Who actually were considered superstar safeties in the last 5 drafts, for example? I can't remember any. With all the new contact rules and such, the days of Lott and Atwood impact-makers are pretty much over, so nowaday safeties have to be some strange manticore-like animal. Good at everything. Line-to-line, 3rd corner, run-stopping, turnover-makers...

Definitely agree on LaRon Landry--when he was here he was better than most we've had at SS. Heck, he looked like he might be one of the league's best pretty soon. Then he sucked.

The one I'm saddest about is Chris Horton. He had flashes of huge talent, but is now out of the league.

There's a lot of middle ground though between superstar safety and what we've mostly been rolling out there year after year.  We didn't need a superstar, a serviceable starter would've sufficed. 

I hate how this whole offseason all the free agency articles related to the Redskins mentioned Orakpo leaving as this huge loss.  Like he's been this rock solid face of our defense for 5 years.  Kerrigan took that spot his rookie year and never let go as far as im concerned.  Never lived up to the hype

MikeGarafolo Brian Orakpo's deal with the Titans: four years, $32 million base value, $35 million max, with $13.5 guaranteed, per source.

13/03/2015 11:47

I can only assume that use of film, the internet or access to injury reports has not made it as far as Tennesse ...

Good riddance!  Glad to see guys like Rak leave the team.  He wasn't a team player and was exactly what was wrong with the culture of this team.   I wonder if he still thinks he has nothing to prove. 

You guys underestimate Rak and do his history here a disservice. Double digit sack guys don't grow on trees. Rak was one for us. Something we rarely saw since the days of Mann and Manley.  Injuries caught up with him, but he was a tough, willing player who fought for his team.

I think he peaked with us, but I hope he can make it back from injury and have nothing but well wishes for him.  More, it's easier to neutralize one guy. Now, for most of Brian's career he was the one guy. Strangely, he never elevated with the emergence of Kerrigan, but that was injuries and Haslett as much as anything else.

Anywho, I prefer we take the high road with Orakpo's departure and hope others join me in remembering him well. A draft pick that mostly worked out. Good production for a mid first round pick.

Archived