Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

If this was the 19th Century some school marm would be rapping both of you pretty hard about the knuckles right now with her ruler.(Missing old smileys) 

Nothing wrong with writing correctly although we all get lazy on a message board at times.  Take your chastisement as deserved.

BG, I try my best to use proper English, but I have re-read a few of my posts where Swype hasn't gotten things right. I mean yesterday it wound up putting an extra word into one of my posts. I'm all for writing properly but I think there's a line between a simple correction vs going too far. Maybe NewCliche's post wasn't over that line but yesterday I started getting annoyed with all the talk about "trader vs traitor" as if this was an English class. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive or showing empathy when I shouldn't be, but I've talked to drunken whino's who could barely get two words out without stumbling over themselves. Even seeing the grammatical errors here, its a lot easier having (or reading/observing) conversations on ES than at the local Buffalo Wild Wings or Green Turtle.

And maybe it'd be different if this were a work email, and I know I'm contradicting myself here so this is probably my last thought on the subject, but I just cringe when we start talking grammar in a sports message board. Start a resume writing thread or a how to apply for a job thread over in tailgate and we're golden. Or even better, why not just send a PM to the people involved instead of calling them out.

OK. Sorry for the distraction from sports talk. Have I mentioned how much I think the Eagles are going to fold over on themselves this year?

Anywho, I prefer we take the high road with Orakpo's departure and hope others join me in remembering him well. A draft pick that mostly worked out. Good production for a mid first round pick.

I think there have been enough threads and posts on the relative merits of Orakpo over the last couple of years. For me has has been injured too much, never shown up in division games that really matter, racked up sacks in clusters against bad teams and never developed a real range of pass rush moves.

I wish him well with the Titans. 

I got the news about Orakpo signing this morning via the NFL app on my phone.

Was I the only one who saw the deal he got, and then that he was listed as the 19th ranked Free Agent this year, and laughed.

Seriously, is the FA class this year just that sad?  (Seems to be)

I really tried to like Rak but his injury bug just really irked me. He thinks he's elite but couldn't even stay on the field so I'm really glad he's not on this team now. The Titans forums are thanking God they got him and I really can't understand why.

Have not signed a top tier Free Agent Safety nor drafted one. Everything has been bubble gum to hold the fort together. It has pretty much always blown up badly. Most thought Landry was that big time safety but he turned out to be a horrible bust 

Indeed. Since 2007 when they picked Landry, they haven't used better than a 4th round pick on a safety since.  Since '07, one 4th, one 5th, two 6ths, and two 7ths.  Almost all those picks wound up starting at one point, until they figured out they were better off putting Reed Doughty out there instead.  Then there was the free agent crop of Madieu Williams, Brandon Meriweather, Tanard Jackson, probably somebody else I'm not thinking of.  Merriweather would've been serviceable had he stopped trying to paralyze people.

Just now seeing the Knighton pick-up. 

I was reticent down to his age but 1 year, $ 4 million? Seriously?!!!!! There's absolutely ZERO downside to that. 

Anyone still doubting this GM is for real?

Mac in the MF house!

Hail.

Yeah what a steal.... great pickup.  Welcome Pot Roast!

Good luck to Orakpo, though I think TN over paid some for him, considering he has torn his pectoral muscle three times in the past 4 years (week 17 in 2011, week 2 in 2012, then again last season).  

Part of me wanted to keep him on for less money, other half of me wanted him to walk and part ways.  Probably for the best, too injury prone on a team with no depth and in need of a massive cleansing.

I'd rather push Safety out another year than overpay and jeopardize the future just to say we addressed it. Now, we've had some opportunities to spend big the past couple years but how well did those safeties we lost actually do? 

Sure, it would be great to have an answer there but I don't mind trying to develop our own in that spot rather than sign a big name. If we do sign someone, I'm glad we are playing it this way and looking at undervalued high upside guys that could come in at a could price and contribute. 

I'd rather push Safety out another year than overpay and jeopardize the future just to say we addressed it. Now, we've had some opportunities to spend big the past couple years but how well did those safeties we lost actually do? 

Sure, it would be great to have an answer there but I don't mind trying to develop our own in that spot rather than sign a big name. If we do sign someone, I'm glad we are playing it this way and looking at undervalued high upside guys that could come in at a could price and contribute. 

I'd be fine bringing Meriweather back for a one year deal, cheap of course.  He's not the best, but a good stop gap until we can land top talent, imo.

In his 10 games last year, 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles w/1 recovery.  If he can watch the cheap shots and keep his mouth shut off the field, not put a target on his back, we can get one more good year out of him.

Archived