Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Wait a minute, Chester was one of our best OL? And for everything being RGIIIs fault, was it Colts fault as well when he was sacked 13 times in two games and sent to the IR?

Most of our sacks were the fault of the QB yes.   There's always a place to go with the ball.   RGIII took a ton of unnecessary sacks.   Colt did as well.   Cousins didn't, but, threw interceptions instead :).

The point is, and you really have to process this as it's the most important thing you can comprehend...

The players the team is picking up now, in free agency, are the players the team hopes can fit the weaknesses the team had in the priority the team felt it had weaknesses.   While there is money that factors in and there are other factors, such as ability at certain positions, the simple, pure, easy to comprehend fact is the team looked at every play from last year and came out of those meetings and are announcing to you every single day that our weaknesses from a year ago weren't offensive line.

Not in relation to the weaknesses we had.   It doesn't make it a strength, necessarily, merely having watched everything, it's a far lesser concern than what we're obviously and clearly targeting and addressing.   Free agency isn't about BPA.   It's about filling very targeted, specific needs so you can pick BPA in the draft.   

As I said, I believe we'll get bigger on the offensive line and probably spend considerable draft effort here, but, if offensive line was deemed a priority, we'd have Bulaga now.   Instead, we have Culliver.   It speaks volumes as to where the team perceives need.   You should nod and think, "Shoot, I was wrong I guess."   Whether they get the rights guys or not or whether they use them well or not is irrelevant.   Barry Switzer could watch his team play and know what his team lacked for how plays were called and what was done.   The coaching staff and personnel people know what was broken and needed attention.

That attention is the answer.

Now, safety is an obvious question given we have none.   But, as I said, I suspect there's an answer there we don't know as of yet.

How do you know?

John Keim @john_keim  ·  39m 39 minutes ago

Not sure if the Redskins will sign another corner, but they did tell people who have visited that they hoped to sign two this offseason.

If another corner is signed, something I fully support, it speaks volumes as to what we intend to do on defense.   I'd anticipate a defense without a true strong safety, a corner (Amerson/Hall/Cox/Culliver) at "free safety" covering tight ends who eat us up or slot guys and a super HIGH free safety with range in the "strong safety" position.   We've all seen the strong safety type in the box for run support.

My guess is the team is feeling they won't need a ton of run support.

But they may have a non-traditional free safety "in the box" handling the tight end or slot with a single high safety.   If Barry is the uber aggressive guy he says, it wouldn't surprise me to see us rarely shell back there and really put guys in aggressive positions.   Another starting level corner though does force you to consider the safety answer is just one of the corners rotated in.

I like what I've seen, but the oline and safety positions were a big concern.

There were only 2 free agents at oline in FA I would have even wanted:  Iupati and Bulaga

Both are studs and both are younger (27 and 25), I knew Bulaga would be a long shot to sign but thought we had a chance at Iupati because of San Fran blowing things up.  Both demanded fairly high contracts though.  

There are a lot of OT/OGs out there, I'm still banking on drafting Scherff.  Or trading back and picking up oline late first or early second round.

It appears to me that GMSM is doing a good job signing free agent players for the right price, but in the end, he was hired to help us draft better.  That's the only way I'll judge GMSM.  And I won't judge him this year either, since he hasn't hired his own guys yet.

No, this is exactly the year to judge his draft.

Because if he's anything like me, he ignores Scott Campbell and does it his way. This should be the purest sense of McC's decisions ... without "his guys," therefore the best to judge of his individual style.

In the simplest way, McC was hired because Campbell, Allen, Brown, et al, have had poor returns.

If I'm there, I don't rely upon Scott Campbell for anything. I don't listen to Campbell when he tells me he has a 3rd round grade on a nobody o-lineman from LA Tech, (Mitchell Bell). Because I already know who I want in the 3rd round. I already know who is worthy of the 3rd round. 

That's why McC was hired and why he "demanded" contractual final say for roster moves.

It's all up to McC. 

Now, when he does get his guys entrenched in the following years, that's when you hope for more of a camelot situation. Where one could delegate responsibility to certain guys who have earned it, or otherwise, have worked together for years and have the proof of legit evaluation. 

At that time, if you are McC, you can turn to your boy Reggie Cobb or Ethan Waugh and (from a combination of many things) have him give recommendations for a certain guy in the 4th round, hash over the pros and cons, debate ... (and once you evaluate the evaluation from Cobb/Waugh) a good delegator then says: "good work, I'm going with your recommendation."

Having "your guys" in place doesn't ensure that the final say GM is going to suddenly start batting .750.

The said GM needs to already have the ability to win the batting title, by himself. 

Most of our sacks were the fault of the QB yes.   There's always a place to go with the ball.   RGIII took a ton of unnecessary sacks.   Colt did as well.   Cousins didn't, but, threw interceptions instead :).

The point is, and you really have to process this as it's the most important thing you can comprehend...

The players the team is picking up now, in free agency, are the players the team hopes can fit the weaknesses the team had in the priority the team felt it had weaknesses.   While there is money that factors in and there are other factors, such as ability at certain positions, the simple, pure, easy to comprehend fact is the team looked at every play from last year and came out of those meetings and are announcing to you every single day that our weaknesses from a year ago weren't offensive line.

I don't buy that for a simple reason. We have been dreadful at 3rd or 4th and short. In fact, until RGIII came back the running game altogether was woeful.  Morris far too often had to break tackles in the backfield to get that 2-3 yard gain.  Add to that the way that Chester looked like the female partner on a figure skating team (always skating backwards) and Lavaou's woes and I just can't pin it all on the QBs.

Our line is and has been poor for several years running. It succeeded by pure smoke and mirrors during RGIII's rookie year and has been bad for two years running in the pass and run game.

I don't buy that for a simple reason. We have been dreadful at 3rd or 4th and short. In fact, until RGIII came back the running game altogether was woeful.  Morris far too often had to break tackles in the backfield to get that 2-3 yard gain.  Add to that the way that Chester looked like the female partner on a figure skating team (always skating backwards) and Lavaou's woes and I just can't pin it all on the QBs.

Our line is and has been poor for several years running. It succeeded by pure smoke and mirrors during RGIII's rookie year and has been bad for two years running in the pass and run game.

Our weakness in short yardage running is why I think, ultimately, we'll get bigger up front, but, it is a situational situation there and not something you prioritize for an instant repair.   Rather you develop and alter your selection style to fill that.   My comment on Chester is the coaching staff graded him out HIGHLY.   Was he put on skates at times?   Yes.   But I don't think those times we all viewed together were the definition of him as a player from a coaching staff point of view.  

Simply put, if he was as bad as we perceive, he'd have been cut.   Our line is built for a run game and style that will lead to it getting pushed around if we are trying to power run because it isn't that big.   The problem there is Gruden, not the line.   Either replace the line entirely so you can call power plays where you put hat on hat and maul or leave the zone game alone and call those plays which the line was built to provide.

The transition to a power running game means you'll see big fatties up there eventually, but it's clear, the clear weaknesses we feel the line has are low priority weaknesses in relation to the rest of things out there which are getting massive overhauls and/or touched up.

To me, the acquisition of Bill Callahan tells me that management believes the talent level on the line isn't a priority issue, which I think is backed up by our lack of activity in FA for the OL. I think the FO grades our men highly but believe they weren't properly coached.

We may bulk up in the interior line, but I figure Callahan would rather draft larger guards that he can mold than pay for them in FA.

Just under 4 bills. 

Really hope he gets back to whatever diet he needs to be on b/c i want him to be the dominant force we have needed for a long ass time in the middle. 

If true then he and LeRib need to start a buddy system.

Pot Roast and Ribs need to eat celery and carrots.

This guy played LT poorly but out of his natural position (RT) and got run out of NC.  Maybe he's worth a look at RT. 

T @TMM75  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Byron Bell visiting? That confirmed? or just rumors?

The Associated Press confirms that the Panthers have informed free agent LT Byron Bell (26yo) that he will not be re-signed.
Bell himself alluded to the news on social media Monday. Thrust into left-tackle duties last season following the retirement of Jordan Gross, Bell struggled mightily. He'll search for work as a right or swing tackle. Bell has dabbled at guard in the past, but always struggled on the inside (Feb-24th).

I disagree. I think the thinking is not the o-line is hunky dory, but that the cost basis for improvement did not merit the investment.  Our eyes only lie to us some of the times. For the o-line not to be a problem they would have to lie to us all the time.

Per Rotoworld:

Free agent S Jeron Johnson will visit the Redskins.

New Skins GM Scot McCloughan should have a good read on Johnson after spending a few years in Seattle's front office. Johnson is primarily a special teamer, but Washington may envision him as having the ability to do more.

Know nothing about this guy, trust in Scot though.

The OL isn't bad but they certainly aren't good.

Morris breaks a **** ton of tackles and the passing game doesn't take any 5-7 step drops.

Our passing game and Zone scheme are designed to mitigate the talent of the OL.

So yes many of Griffin's sacks are on him. But if Chester isn't getting walked back maybe some of Griffin/Colt's sacks don't happen and some of Kirks interceptions don't happen.

I hope the aim is for the OL to be a strength.

Archived