Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I think you can also add, reference the Oline, that you can't address everything.  We sucked last year and did not have that many quality players, which means we have a lot of holes to fill.

The FA market doesn't look that good with the youngest guy being like 29

We have a couple young guys on our roster now - an unknown, but an unknown you have to at least have patience to determine

Upcoming draft

This is year one of rebuilding

See, I can buy that argument.  I can believe their putting some money on Long, Compton, and the others on coming through. I just can't believe someone who tells me that we had a solid/good oline.

I think you can also add, reference the Oline, that you can't address everything.  We sucked last year and did not have that many quality players, which means we have a lot of holes to fill.

The FA market doesn't look that good with the youngest guy being like 29

We have a couple young guys on our roster now - an unknown, but an unknown you have to at least have patience to determine

Upcoming draft

This is year one of rebuilding

^

This

HTTR!

We used to be smart.

Every year people in this thread (and elsewhere) have "wish lists" of o-linemen, pre-Free Agency.  Of course all of these o-linemen want to come here for veteran minimum deals.  Plus incentives of course.

Every year, a lot of us try to impress upon these wish listers that it's rare that some of these FAs to be get away from their teams, and it's even more rare that they go to a good fit (ie: they want the money).  Even more rare is the o-linemen FA that pans out well, which we actually have on the of the best in recent years in Kory Lichtensteiger. 

There were about 3 linemen worth a **** that got away from their teams this year, and they all went for the money. 

Scot knows what he's doing.  It's a re-build, it's not all going to be fixed this year, and it's certainly not all going to be fixed after 4 days.

Holy ****...

John Keim @john_keim 1m1 minute ago

In wondering about who might play slot corner: Culliver has lined up in slot 35 times in career; Breeland 80 times last year. @ESPNStatsInfo

3 years ago I would never, never say this...but I hope D.Hall is on the team next year to be a leader in the locker room.

I like Culliver, but I hope there is someone in his position group to tell him to shut the hell up when he starts saying or acting stupid.

And right now Hall is the only player in the secondary that would have the cache to do it.

John Keim @john_keim 58s59 seconds ago

Don't know how effective Culiver is in the slot, but he has some experience. If they sign Perrish Cox, he has a lot of experience in slot.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl 2m2 minutes ago

#Raiders are expected to sign QB Christian Ponder to a one-year deal, per league source.

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider 17s18 seconds ago

Chiefs free agent safety Ron Parker could be strong fit for Ravens, Redskins: http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-chiefs-free-agent-safety-ron-parker-could-be-strong-fit-for-ravens-redskins-20150313-story.html 

3 years ago I would never, never say this...but I hope D.Hall is on the team next year to be a leader in the locker room.

I like Culliver, but I hope there is someone in his position group to tell him to shut the hell up when he starts saying or acting stupid.

And right now Hall is the only player in the secondary that would have the cache to do it.

When you say D Hall, you mean Deangelo Hall, right? Who, over his 5 year tenure with team, has been the one player that has stood out the most as being the most unreliable, overreacting, petulant, post-whistle personal foul-prone player in recent memory?

If you mean on-field altercations, I'd say Hall is more likely to exacerbate a situation than alleviate it.

I don't mind signing Perrish Cox to play the slot. It would spell the end of Tracy Porter, not necessarily affecting Breeland. Amerson hasn't been consistent enough to worry what it means for him.

Agree with DG that I would want DHall back to mentor the young guys for at least another season.

^^^D. Hall is a core Redskins and vocal leader. I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't have the stats to back me up, but from memory it just feels like he draws an above-average amount of 15-yarders.  I just wonder whether he is the best man to keep things cool on Sundays.

When you say D Hall, you mean Deangelo Hall, right? Who, over his 5 year tenure with team, has been the one player that has stood out the most as being the most unreliable, overreacting, petulant, post-whistle personal foul-prone player in recent memory?

Meh... the last two years he's been a model citizen and a leader.  Last year, especially, sans Fletch.

It's all personality.  If I'm the DC, I'm either Giving Keenan or Kerrigan the C.  Those two can get the job done.

Not to happy with the Culliver signing, especially if it involves a lot of guaranteed money. Here's why:

-- I remember him getting victimized by the Ravens in the SuperBowl, .... I'll have to look at his other games, but that wasn't one of his better games.

-- Can't tell much of his 2013 season since he was on IR all season with a torn ACL. How's that holding up now?

-- So, why did the 49'ers decide not to try to retain him during his final year (2014 season)?

-- His anti-gay remarks (2012 season) and poorly chosen terms about women texted on Instagram (2013) -- at a minimum it's a red flag about his ability to react appropriately in public and poor management of himself in the media (our press will have a field day, if he ever give any impromptu interviews.)

-- This episode with the whole "Hit and Run, Brass-knuckles, driving with expired license, and threatening to hit the bystander who tried to detain him" details that came out. I'm not sure the remaining legal ramifications from this incident, but it's certainly not a 'glowing testimonial' for the quality of Culliver's first instincts, decision-making, and character traits under pressure.

I think the guy has red-flags, and shouldn't get much guaranteed money.

See, I can buy that argument.  I can believe their putting some money on Long, Compton, and the others on coming through. I just can't believe someone who tells me that we had a solid/good oline.

The logic is right for Cerrato as I mentioned it would be for Switzer.   Even the MOST incompetent of people can fully understand what their team is lacking based on what their team is trying to do.   Finding the right guys may not always work out.   But they always know what they need to make it go.   Certainly better than us.

D Hall is a leader and the locker room follows and respects him. He's had his moments where he's fired up and gotten flagged but he's been a great Redskin to me. I am hoping he is back as well if healthy to mentor some of these younger cats on football and life. 

If that kind of stuff actually happens. I think it's probably exaggerated in impact by fans but still. 

Meh... the last two years he's been a model citizen and a leader.  Last year, especially, sans Fletch.

It's all personality.  If I'm the DC, I'm either Giving Keenan or Kerrigan the C.  Those two can get the job done.

This is where it looks like I'm contradicting myself but I'll just go ahead anyway.

If Hall has a prominent role on the field, then I'd give him the C due to veteran status and the loyalty he has demonstrated.  I don't think the C on the chest creates a role that Hall has to fill; I look at it more like a reward for being an effective and loyal guy.

Edit:  I forgot these would be linked together.  They're separate ideas entirely...

I'm still confused as to why Polian is so down on Paea.

To me, the acquisition of Bill Callahan tells me that management believes the talent level on the line isn't a priority issue, which I think is backed up by our lack of activity in FA for the OL. I think the FO grades our men highly but believe they weren't properly coached.

We may bulk up in the interior line, but I figure Callahan would rather draft larger guards that he can mold than pay for them in FA.

With all due respect to Bill Callahan, I don't think he'll be able to coach this group up that much better than Foerster did.  Foerster had a good rep as an OL coach himself.  Not that Callahan might not be a better OL coach, I just think the talent level of this group is what it is.  I don't think they're getting much better than what they are. 

But maybe they're banking on better QB play, that would help out the OL.

Take the fanboy goggles off, boys. D-Hall is beyond a liability when it comes to personal fouls.

According to this, he's had 7 unnecessary roughness penalties and 0 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties since 2010. That's less than 2 a year. Not a huge concern. 

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties-player.html?yr=2010&tm=32&sort=ur

Archived