Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

As I said, I believe we'll get bigger on the offensive line and probably spend considerable draft effort here, but, if offensive line was deemed a priority, we'd have Bulaga now.   Instead, we have Culliver.   It speaks volumes as to where the team perceives need.

That's interesting, but I have to resort back to last offseason when the entire fan base was saying we needed a RT, RG, LG, and C and we saw similar lack of activity on the OL. Yes we did cut Monty, move Lich and sign Lauvao, but we did not address the right side at all. So what that makes me do is question the priority making process, if that is indeed how it went down. We wound up drafting 2 OL, but didn't address RT in FA. Wither way, I think it speaks negatively towards the people making the decisions except Scot and our new OL coach.

Then there's a big question mark of if we're going to continue to do zone blocking, which as Burgold stated, sucked when RG3 wasn't in there, especially on short yards. If we switch to man, are we hanging onto Chester in similar regard to how we're hanging on to Goldston, as a guy unlikely to make the roster, but one who doesn't need to be cut right now so no harm in keeping him around and letting him compete? Or maybe this is a Moss like thing where he's going to be given a spot on the roster even though he doesn't really deserve to stay. But if we do switch to a power scheme its a big question of who on our roster could fit into such a scheme.

Really like Johnson coming in. At a minimum he will provide a very good teams player....maybe can develop into our SS. Good football player tho.

Johnson is just the kind of player I want to sign. A high reward type player who probably wouldn't demand too much money but has been behind some of the best guys in the league. He's a bit older than I like for player with his lack of experience, but hopefully we can get him to come in and out-perform his contract.

I have a feeling that past Redskin personnel chiefs would have given Knighton what he was asking for, maybe more.

They would have fallen for every single trick, locked him up for 4 years for tons of money.  If they wanted him.  They would not have been patient enough to let things play out and then get the best deal.  

SM is working the room.  He might get passed on some guys because he refuses to pay what they want, but he's ok with that.  

True, but looking at some of the deals signed by offensive linemen, I'm wondering if standing pat with Compton and hoping Long slides in is really as horrible as some may imagine.

Maybe he started prepping like a 3 once he found out he was a 3.  I mean, that's damning as well, but I think it's possible.

I agree.  I've been saying this for weeks, they have to figure out what Moses and Long can do, because you can't give up on 3rd round draft picks in 1 year.  That's the antithesis of building through the draft.  You've got to draft mid-round guys, and then let them slow-cook for a few years.  Then they turn into solid starters.

The 'Skins OL had 2 good players (Williams, KL), 1 serviceable guy (Compton) and 2 guys who just stunk like the south end of a north bound skunk (Lavuao/Chester).  In theory, there should be competition at RT between Moses/Compton and somebody else (draft pick or FA), and competition between Long/Ribs (who's somehow still here, and also a former 3rd round pick) and Lavauao and Chester. 

So, pick up a few FAs and draft a guy or two, but until you're sure that Moses/Long/Ribs/Compton can't be solid starters, you don't put a lot of resources into plugging holes. 

My $.02.  (And I personally thought Compton played pretty well all the way around, as a late round pick seeing his first action. Maybe he gets better and becomes a solid starter.)

Ron Parker is the only other safety in free agent I'm really interested in as someone who I think is a legit roll of the dice at Free Safety. I will say the Amerson for Vacarro notion is very intriguing.

Safety is really concerning, but I think it was going to be concerning no matter what.  This wasn't the year to fix Safety issues, either through FA or the draft. 

I like what I've seen, but the oline and safety positions were a big concern.

I think they're going to be ok on OL.  Safety is very much a concern.  

The Knighton signing is really the only big difference between Bruce and Scot. That kind of contract for a player like him is the kind of thing you're able to pull off when you have a GM who is actually good at his job.

I think there are some other differences.  Cutting ties with Orakpo/Hankerson, good contracts for second tier guys, prove it deals, and concentrating on the trenches.  

People are confusing building through the draft with avoidance of free agency.

This cannot be said enough.

The other thing about building through the draft is that it really takes about 5-7 years to REALLY get returns on it.  Because you draft guys in rounds 3-5 who need 2-4 years to grow, and you need 3-4 classes of those guys.  

So, when you do the math, it just takes a while to get them in, groom them, and then see returns.

Since the 'Skins haven't either drafted well OR groomed their picks well, they're basically starting from ground zero. Which means that they're going to need FAs just to dress enough guys to play a game on Sunday.

Here's a terrible fact: There are now ZERO draft picks from 2009 and prior.  These are the players that should be the core of your team.

Form 2010, there are only 2 remaining on the roster, Trent Williams and Perry Riley (who's likely to be on the roster, but not a sure thing.)

2011: Kerrigan and Niles Paul are going to be on the roster.  Jenkins and Neild (I think) are still banging around, but both are likely to be cut.

2012: Griffin, Ribs, Cousins, Keenan Robinson, Morris and  Compton are all still on the roster.  Morris and Robinson are solid contributors, we'll see about Compton.  Ribs looks like a bust waiting to be released.  No comment on Griffin and Cousins.

2013: Amerson and Reed are on the roster.  Thomas and Thompson I think are still "technically" on the roster, but we'll see if they manage to stay on the roster.

So, here's the skinny: 

- No draft picks from prior to 2009.

- From 2010 to 2013, there are 7 picks who are likely to remain on the roster.  Kerrigan, Paul, K. Robinson, Morris, Compton, Amerson and Reed.

- 2014, way to early to judge anything.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is ridiculously bad. Even if you take out the 3 picks that they lost for gave up for Griffin, that's STILL really bad.

So far we haven't signed a RT.

Well, actually we have.  Re-signed Compton.  FWIW.  

Im hoping we still draft Shelton at 5.  Then he can rotate in throughout the season and by the time Knighton's contract is up we have a good idea of whether or not we need to extend it for another year.  Cover all your bases with 2 or 3 back up plans no cracks along the foundation

Jeron!! Yes!! This guy played well when given the chance and learned from the best in the business. Seattle thinks really highly of him but there is no way to give him time. I think he will be a steal for someone and I've been tracking him -- but haven't heard anything until now. 

Would LOVE this move. Make it so. 

And a quick read on him:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/When-it-comes-to-Jeron-Johnson-there%E2%80%99s-safety-in-numbers/1e77967d-dc44-4514-a169-a220b39eefe3

Sherman:

"Jeron is always disciplined." All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman said. "He's always technically sound. He's right where he needs to be. He's always in the right spot doing the right thing. Calling out the plays. He's a very sound player. He's going to make the open-field tackle.

"We don't miss a beat when he's out there."

Kam:

"Jeron is doing an awesome job," Chancellor said. "He always understood the playbook. He always had a knack for the ball. He has always been an athlete. And another thing about Jeron, when he doesn't know something he comes and asks me. So he's not afraid to ask questions and he's not afraid to be wrong.

"He's taking charge out there right now and he's leading from the strong safety spot right now."

Johnson is drawing more than passing grades in those categories, and many others.

DC Quinn:

"Jeron is taking advantage of the opportunity that he has, just like you would hope he would," Quinn said. "He's got a real knack for the ball. I've been really pleased, just with is mindset and the work he's been doing. He's tough, he's aggressive and he's a good tackler. I really love the style he plays with.

"He is totally proving his value and why we regard him so highly."

So what that makes me do is question the priority making process, if that is indeed how it went down. We wound up drafting 2 OL, but didn't address RT in FA. Wither way, I think it speaks negatively towards the people making the decisions except Scot and our new OL coach.oesn't really deserve to stay. But if we do switch to a power scheme its a big question of who on our roster could fit into such a scheme.

Well ... I think draft is the focus because, looking at McCloughan's track record ... that's his M.O. You have to hope Callahan can coach up Moses/Long ... but I wuold still expect us to draft 1-2 OL. Either a 1st round (trade down) T/G like Scherff or Collins paired with a mid-round G/C combo ... or if we don't trade down, I would expect us to go Guard atop Round 2 and likely OT in the 4th or 5th ...

I would like to think Callahan can get a good feel for both Moses and Long from limited game tape but also pre-season tape ... it also takes moer than 1 year for mid-round OL to adapt to the next level. I wouldn't write off Long and Moses but I also wouldn't solely rely on their emergence to be the "upgrade" this team needs ... combine their hopeful progression with an early OL and a mid-round OL for depth/development and I will be happy. 

Jeron!! Yes!! This guy played well when given the chance and learned from the best in the business. Seattle thinks really highly of him but there is no way to give him time. I think he will be a steal for someone and I've been tracking him -- but haven't heard anything until now. 

And a quick read on him:

Fine, now I want him and I'll be disappointed if we don't get him.

Some talk about the Saints guard Jahri Evans being cut to make room for CJ Spiller. Evans was pretty awful last season while he was playing through an injury. Would like to see us go after him and give him a 1 year deal similar to Knighton if he does get cut.

Oh, and of course you pair this move with cutting Chester.

Never heard anything about it and frankly, I wasn't interested anyway

yeah, that is what i thought. i wonder if the skins pre Scot would have given him more of a look. he fits the mold, over 30, some name recognition,  some past success (4 pro bowls), looking for one last big pay day, etc. 

And a quick read on him:

DC Quinn:

"Jeron is taking advantage of the opportunity that he has, just like you would hope he would," Quinn said. "He's got a real knack for the ball. I've been really pleased, just with is mindset and the work he's been doing. He's tough, he's aggressive and he's a good tackler. I really love the style he plays with.

"He is totally proving his value and why we regard him so highly."

Sure hope we sign him to prevent his former DC now head coach in ATL from snatching him up.

HTTR!

HankersonFan and 98Orakpo98?

That would be them.  

A wise piece of advice for all 'Skins fans: Never make any commitment to any current player, jersey, screen name, marriage, anything.  Because they're sure to break your heart, and it will end badly.

For the love of all things holy, nobody get a Mariota username lol

Shut up you!

Here's a trick to help you sleep.

Offensive line wasn't as weak as you believe.   Chester, who most of us feel was a sheer dog, was actually ridiculously highly graded by the staff and, I think, was out team's best offensive lineman by actual performance in the role asked.   Because Williams was injured a lot of course.

In any case, the bulk of the pressure you saw RGIII under was because of RGIII, not the line.

It is doubtless the case we will improve this area and get a bit more beefy as that's a Gruden and Callahan thing, but, they do not view the urgency here you do because they understand they weren't quite the problem fans think because fans don't know what every player is supposed to do and the real fault is often not on the player you think.

It's true that Griffin didn't help out the OL.  But at the same time, the OL didn't help Griffin either.

Both statements can be true.  The LT, C and (after Compton started to start) RT positions were solid if not spectacular. 

Both Guards were pretty bad, and got whooped 1-1 more times than they should have.

At the beginning of the off-season, I posted (like 1000 times) that the biggest needs on the team were, in order, NT, DE, FS, CB, OG (2), TE (Blocking). 

But I do think that OG is in definite need of upgrade. 

(Video removed to avoid ban)

Who said it meant anything? :P Just making sure we have our facts straight.  

Here's a trick to help you sleep.

Offensive line wasn't as weak as you believe.   Chester, who most of us feel was a sheer dog, was actually ridiculously highly graded by the staff and, I think, was out team's best offensive lineman by actual performance in the role asked.   Because Williams was injured a lot of course.

In any case, the bulk of the pressure you saw RGIII under was because of RGIII, not the line.

And I assume it's AlMo's fault that he's getting hit two yards behind the LoS, pretty much every time he gets the ball?

Here's a list of the top 10 Offensivie linement left on the FA market.  For the source click here.

Jake Long LT 29 STL TBD - - - - Justin Blalock G 31 ATL TBD - - - - Chris Myers C 33 HOU TBD - - - - Nick Hardwick C 33 SD TBD - - - - Anthony Collins LT 29 TB TBD - - - - Scott Wells C 34 STL TBD - - - - Lyle Sendlein C 30 ARI TBD - - - - Dan Connolly G 32 NE TBD - - - - Rob Sims G 31 DET TBD - - - - Erik Pears G 32 BUF TBD - - - -

Don't see any right tackles and I don't care much for the age.  Youngest being age 29.  Staying with what's in house or draft O-line to me are the smart plays here.  Luavao actually improved in his run blocking toward the end of the year.  As for the rest I think Callahan will make a difference.  It's amazing to me that not one player we drafted developed to be worth much under Foerster.  The FO is probably betting that coaching will make a difference.

Also agree with Art on the pass pro.  It really wasn't as bad as it looked.  The QB's did not help much at all.  They definitely need to get bigger though if they want to start pushing people around.

I'm wondering why the seahawks let him go ?

"Johnson will go to dinner with members of the Redskins organization Sunday, then spend a good portion of Monday at Redskins Park"

Looks like he's not going to get out without a contract.

I'm sorry, but I can't buy that Chester was as highly rated as you suggest.  It is like you are telling me that day is night.  It also makes me wonder why Lerib is still on this team, because he must be awful to be still sitting on the bench this long.  I can buy that the line isn't completely awful and worthless and that everyone needs to be changed (Gee, can we find one RB that can throw a block?  How about a TE?) and that there might be scheme confusion from one used to running a zone scheme vs a head coach that prefers a power game, but this line is far from being great, and I don't think many of the current starters will be a part of a great line.

That being said, FA wasn't going to solve issues with the OL.  Basically anyone signed would be a compromise and a stopgap.  We really need to develop some young guys, and I think drafting two last year was a good start.

I also agree that there are larger fish to fry right now.  The DL needed the overhaul and we need to actually address the safety issue with this team.

If true then he and LeRib need to start a buddy system.

Pot Roast and Ribs need to eat celery and carrots.

In my experience... birds of a feather should not...

Knighton will be fine, he's demonstrated he can be a pro.  If he isn't, he's likely out of the league at 28/29.

Ribs... Ribs is in the bottom of the 9th in his chances.

That's interesting, but I have to resort back to last offseason when the entire fan base was saying we needed a RT, RG, LG, and C and we saw similar lack of activity on the OL. Yes we did cut Monty, move Lich and sign Lauvao, but we did not address the right side at all. So what that makes me do is question the priority making process, if that is indeed how it went down. We wound up drafting 2 OL, but didn't address RT in FA. Wither way, I think it speaks negatively towards the people making the decisions except Scot and our new OL coach.

Then there's a big question mark of if we're going to continue to do zone blocking, which as Burgold stated, sucked when RG3 wasn't in there, especially on short yards. If we switch to man, are we hanging onto Chester in similar regard to how we're hanging on to Goldston, as a guy unlikely to make the roster, but one who doesn't need to be cut right now so no harm in keeping him around and letting him compete? Or maybe this is a Moss like thing where he's going to be given a spot on the roster even though he doesn't really deserve to stay. But if we do switch to a power scheme its a big question of who on our roster could fit into such a scheme.

I think it's interesting you see the evidence and it makes you question people who have more information than you and what they think, but doesn't make you wonder if you are thinking it through logically or clearly.   Multiple different eyeballs and coaches and personnel people look at the same thing we see and tell you it ain't that broken even if it ain't that strong.   It really should be ok to process and adjust.   Again, if we felt the right side was as weak as you do, we'd have Bulaga.  Instead we have Culliver and may sign another corner shortly.   The priority is fairly clear.   That said, as Haslett said, he felt there was an imbalance in money and talent on offense compared to defense, so this could be the team's attempt to even the world out a tad too.

It really isn't that hard guys.

What are we doing?

That's because other things are better than the things we are doing were.

It doesn't take a lot to get with that I wouldn't think.

Archived