Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

49ers fans reactions

"I saw that. Way overpaid. We weren't going to pay that. We prolly offered 5 max per yr"

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Pass for that amount, a reason I love baalke is he will not over pay for mediocrity

NYniner85 This....enough of Baalke and his "we sign our own" BS. He has been a good CB when healthy for us. I don't think $8 million is over paying for a player of his caliber.

Originally posted by ayleswbj11:He has the size an the make up that we look for, we developed him an now we lose him.

Originally posted by ayleswbj11:Culliver is a darn good corner, this isn't overpaid when the cap has gone up so much. If you want good players you have to pay them. We just lost another one. Who are we spending our money on then

• NYniner85 Culliver was the 12 ranked CB according to PFF. I wouldn't say he was mediocre. That $8 million a year salary would rank him as the 18th highest paid CB, which is undervalued for his production.

"Nobody beats Dan Snyder to the ATM. Can you name any free agent that he's signed over the years that panned out." :D

Edit:

Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:

Originally posted by
hubbyt
:

Im a Niner fan just like you. Culliver is not the elite player your trying to make him out to be. Corners are hard to find and Balke isnt stupid. If hes that good you dont let him walk. Ive already said hes good but not elite. We will see what teams offer him. I dont believe it will be a crazy amount. Its all good mane

He was one of the best CBs in the game last year and that is not debatable. The eye test matched his coverage numbers.
  • pd24 Veteran: Yup. He is a top 10 CB.

RapSheet The #Redskins are signing CB Chris Culliver to a 4-year deal, source said. Another top corner off the board.

13/03/2015 13:08

Good first move to help our secondary. Still need help at FS.

NOW we'll see how good of a coach or not Barry is.

This, to me at least, will be an interesting exercise to all those that down played the importance of coaching verses talent level. 

If he fails with what he's being given .....

@MikeGarafolo: Brian Orakpo's deal with the Titans: four years, $32 million base value, $35 million max, with $13.5 guaranteed.

That's a lot of coin!

When did Vinny get the Titans GM gig?

Hail. 

We have a few CBs that excel in press coverage now and with a much improved DL, Id love to see us go into press coverage more often to help the improved pass rush get there. Helps the safeties out too because the ball is getting out quick, sometimes frantically and off the mark.

Should be a fun to watch the defense for the first time in a long time

I'm not sure how much I like the Culliver deal at $8 per, but I'll wait till guarantee money and structure comes out. God knows I could be wrong though. But it just seems like every few years the CB market is depressed despite decent talent and you can get someone just as good for a more reasonable price.

I'm also not one that thinks we should give up on Amerson. He's got all the physical tools you could possibly want and has played well at times. He's also played very bad, I get that...but I think there's still potential there in a young player.

Porter is gone. I liked him as a FA signing for the slot last year, but he just never was healthy. Unfortunate miss.

This does make me ponder if there's going to be a chance that Hall or Amerson moves to FS. Not sure how solid of a notion that is. Right now if we go into the season with:

Cornerbacks

Breeland

Amerson

Culliver

Hall

[Rookie Draft Pick]

I'd call that a big improvement. I'd also be very happy to see what develops out of Courtney Brigdet this summer as a VERY interesting project at 6-3.

If we move Amerson or Hall to Free Safety like some are talking about (I don't know how likely that realy is) then we need to get another low priced free agent CB I think as our #4.

Don't forget how often offenses line up in a three receiver set. Defenses regularly end up in nickel for most of the game.

Just to be the sour milk...

So, what is the difference between a McCloughin offseason and a Bruce Allen offseason.

Pie

Pot Roast

Culliver (needs a food nickname so we can call the defense the kitchen)

Jean

Maybe unlike Vinny they're not first tier names, over 40, and breaking free agency salary records, but that's a bunch of free agents. Kind of a SOP Redskins off season.

Now, like most I'm intrigued with the names (and grateful we're attacking the lines. Three d-linemen in an off season is better than three WR free agents in an off season in my book), but this feels like a typical Redskins off season three days in.

MikeGarafolo Brian Orakpo's deal with the Titans: four years, $32 million base value, $35 million max, with $13.5 guaranteed, per source.13/03/2015 11:47

I can only assume that use of film, the internet or access to injury reports has not made it as far as Tennesse ...

I still don't have a full grasp on compensatory picks!! Will the Skins get one for losing Rak(especially since they are probably not going to replace him as a starter through free agency)? What round will he be worth?

What matters is what's guaranteed.  So 13.5 / 4 years comes out to about $3.375 guaranteed a year.  Add in some change for incentives and that's not a bad deal at all. 

I would assume its structured for 13.5 in the first 2 years. Most contracts are. So thats just under 7 per year. Not a ridiculous deal for the Titans if Rak can stay on the field. But thats a big if.

So, what is the difference between a McCloughin offseason and a Bruce Allen offseason.

Pie

Pot Roast

Jean

Maybe unlike Vinny they're not first tier names, over 40, and breaking free agency salary records, but that's a bunch of free agents. Kind of a SOP Redskins off season.

Now, like most I'm intrigued with the names (and grateful we're attacking the lines. Three d-linemen in an off season is better than three WR free agents in an off season in my book), but this feels like a typical Redskins off season three days in.

There's a few major differences...

Knighton- #2 available DL yet signed to a cheap prove it deal

Ricky Jean - Being paid like the quality back up that he is

Paea - only 26

Culliver- only 26

So far we haven't signed a RT.

Or safeties, or any other lineman. 

It's almost as if free agency just started a few days ago or something. 

I still don't have a full grasp on compensatory picks!! Will the Skins get one for losing Rak(especially since they are probably not going to replace him as a starter through free agency)? What round will he be worth?

We just signed Culliver. Forget about compensatory picks. 

Somebody is definitely making sure he doesn't have many excuses. 

Well Joe Barry seems like a fired up dude so far.

I can imagine him being even more fired up with the tools we're giving him.

Pretty sure he can't wait for TC and season to start and give some boots to asses!

Pie

Pot Roast

Jean

The difference is we sign guys in free agency and STILL HAVE ALL OUR PICKS AND ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY FOR THEM. 

Pie

Pot Roast

Jean

The contracts and value seem much more reasonable.

These are proven players but young (Knighton is older but only on a 1yr deal) and have a chance to provide greater value if their play exceeds their contracts.

Bruce either signed older guys to money or the young guys that were signed were cast offs and never good up and comers and we still overpaid based on what yu projected them to be for you.

What matters for Culliver is what's guaranteed.  So a $13.5 guarantee / 4 years comes out to about $3.375 guaranteed a year.  Add in some change for incentives and that's not a bad deal at all. 

I just read that the first 2 years are fully guaranteed for 16mil.....geezus

We just signed Culliver. Forget about compensatory picks.

That's where I always get confused. Is it by total money spent? Is it by starters lost vs starters signed? Is it by players lost and signed by position? I don't know why I can't figure it out...

Yeah, i hear you. We just got to hope that McC got guys that are going to be your Justin Smiths (Pot Roast), your Nate Clements (Culliver)

Also, we have to think that McC's eye for talent, locker room chemistry, and potential is better than Bruce's. 

Pie

Pot Roast

Jean

Biggest difference so far...not overpaying for the likes of Andre Roberts and Shawn Lauvao. I think the Pot Roast deal is great for us. The Paea deal was just right. And Culliver is pretty much market value as well. 

I'm guessing we're just about done after Culliver as far as major signings go.  I know only $3 mil goes into next years cap, but if we're looking at Trent and Ryan for new money (depending on where we want to put it) that might be all she wrote.

Would love to see about Ron Parker... or maybe trade Amerson for Vacarro...?

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 1m1 minute ago

I now expect the #Redskins to sign an OT at some point. Lower end one to compete. I'm told they're setting up a few visits.

update this sucka DC9!!! 

love the measured and focused approach ... get the big bodies first. I will never forget Billichek saying you have to defend from the inside out ... now we get our DBs. 

I was off today and I slept in... REALLY late (like, just woke up) :lol:

I didn't think anything would get done that fast.  Absolutely awesome.

That's where I always get confused. Is it by total money spent? Is it by starters lost vs starters signed? Is it by players lost and signed by position? I don't know why I can't figure it out...

It's that convoluted a system I honestly wouldn't try j or your head will explode:

http://overthecap.com/basics-methodology-projecting-compensatory-draft-picks-2015-beyond

Hail. 

Archived