Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

6 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

"Curse" implies some wrongdoing: Did DC sports incite anything to elicit this drought? is it Jim Zorn's slip n' slide exercise during training camp? The swinging gate debacle? Can I blame it on Gilbert Arenas? On RG3? On clown questions? 

What triggered the curse 

I blame UnWise Mike, its his fault.

I don't get it. I just don't get it. NOTHING in this town works.

When we have the heavy favorite #1 team, we lose. When we have the underdog out of nowhere, we lose. When we have a hot offense, we lose. When we have a shutdown defense, we lose. We hire coaches with championship pedigree, no dice. We sign players of MVP caliber, no dice. We get the #1 overall pick in 3/4 sports(and trade up for #2 in the other), no dice.

I'm not angry. I'm not sad. I'm more confused. Everytime one of our team bows out like this, I get more confused. At some point, pure probability kicks in and you win just by sheer force of luck. I'm not even talking championship, just getting to a league's final four.

And each time one of the team fails, it adds more pressure to the others. This is an undeniable fact at this point. If the Caps beat the Penguins and won the Cup, the Nats would have swept the Cubs. Its a domino affect. Look at Boston. They didn't win jack for years. All of a sudden they get Tom Brady and the Pats win. Three years later, the Sox break through. Four years after that, the Celtics. Three years after that, the Bruins.

The incredible thing is, its not even that we lose but HOW we lose. The Caps and Nats have made losing these games into a damn near artform at this point. I don't really put the Redskins in that category, they've largely been bad in recent years and their playoff births are just hot streaks where they barely get in. The Wizards losses have all been as the underdogs so they're kind of the exception, but even then they blew a couple playoff games in Boston in the conf. semis this past year.

This past year I didn't watch a single Caps regular season game because it simply didn't matter until the playoffs. I will adopt the same tactic with the Nats now. Maybe Wizards too. Nothing that happens in the regular season means anything to me in any of these sports. Absolutely nothing.

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

And each time one of the team fails, it adds more pressure to the others. This is an undeniable fact at this point. If the Caps beat the Penguins and won the Cup, the Nats would have swept the Cubs. Its a domino affect. Look at Boston. They didn't win jack for years. All of a sudden they get Tom Brady and the Pats win. Three years later, the Sox break through. Four years after that, the Celtics. Three years after that, the Bruins.

I have been saying this for years. Once 1 team does it. We will be title town. 1 team had to overcome the pressure to win it

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This past year I didn't watch a single Caps regular season game because it simply didn't matter until the playoffs. I will adopt the same tactic with the Nats now. Maybe Wizards too. Nothing that happens in the regular season means anything to me in any of these sports. Absolutely nothing.

I have been doing this for a long time.  It definitely takes away some of the pain.  I forget when I stopped caring about Capitals regular season, probably 2008 or something.  Regular season hockey is probably the least important of the four major sports.  A team gets hot, a goalie, whatever you wanna call it in the playoffs and they can win the Stanley Cup.  Seeding doesn't matter.  Baseball season is so incredibly long, they need to reduce the amount of games to 140 or something.  You play 162 games just to get to the playoffs and play a 5 game series?  Make the divisional round a 7 game series.  Why play that many games just to get cheap if you will.  I still watch during the season because I like to see how the team develops but even that is starting to get old.  NBA is similar to NHL, I just happen to play basketball and enjoy seeing the game played so I will tune in more often.  NFL is the only sport I watch consistently for obvious reasons.  Every game is critical and the season is much shorter.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

gue's final four.

This right here. The tension, the "feeling" carries over from big game to big game. Once things go bad, the fog and cloud form quickly.

In other towns, when our teams have to play these games on the road, they don't have the fear in the atmosphere that our stadiums do. So Rangers fans in game 7 '15 didn't get down when it was 1-0 Caps early. Celtics fans weren't down in Game 7 this past May. We damn well know Seahawks fans were never down when the Redskins visited the NW in those playoff games.

At this point, I am out of any potential answers. I am as confused as you are 

The best chance of us breaking the curse faded away when we went all in on KD2016, and we couldn't even get a meeting with him and he signed with GS. 

Wall, Beal and Durant would have run circles around the Eastern Conference for the next 5 years. Probably beat any team that came out of the West too.

Approaching 20 years of futility is remarkable. Kind of amazing to think that it's encompassed my sporting experience from the days of being in elementary school, to my late 20s as a working professional. 

Probably going to be in my 40s and this thread will still be getting bumped.

Archived