Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Where is this coming from?  Second time I've seen this.  I thought Snyder got rid of Scott because he wanted to trade Cousins, not because he thought Scott was getting too much credit for what he was doing.

I thought it was common knowledge.  Here's the first link I could find that sums it up.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-redskins-gm-reportedly-blames-firing-on-clash-with-bruce-allen-not-drinking/

And here is a post article that points to a concerted effort by Allen to discredit McCloughan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-ties-to-scot-mccloughan-are-fraying-and-the-gm-deserves-better/2017/03/02/b11bfc54-ff7c-11e6-8f41-ea6ed597e4ca_story.html?utm_term=.de9a843a45c6

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I thought it was common knowledge.  Here's the first link I could find that sums it up.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-redskins-gm-reportedly-blames-firing-on-clash-with-bruce-allen-not-drinking/

That sounds like a struggle with Allen, not Snyder.  Snyder's name isn't even in the article you posted.  I may had just misunderstood and that you didn't mean Snyder made that call (as I saw in the other reference to this by someone else), but I still believe Snyder gave his blessing because him and Allen disagreed on how to deal with Cousins.  I believe that more then I believe Scott's "drinking" had anything to do with it.

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Then, with respect, why are you posting here and reading this forum?

Because this is the Tailgate, which he has been posting in for a long time, which is 1 of 3 ES main forums, 2 having largely nothing to do with the Redskins. And it's not really as big a deal as some (not really directed at you per se) make it out to be

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

That sounds like a struggle with Allen, not Snyder.  Snyder's name isn't even in the article you posted.  I may had just misunderstood and that you didn't mean Snyder made that call (as I saw in the other reference to this by someone else), but I still believe Snyder gave his blessing because him and Allen disagreed on how to deal with Cousins.  I believe that more then I believe Scott's "drinking" had anything to do with it.

I think that Allen is a puppet/proxy for Snyder.  He executes his master's wishes.

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think that Allen is a puppet/proxy for Snyder.  He executes his master's wishes.

Then that means Snyder has accepted he cannot buy a championship versus needing that dictated to him by his football personnel, which is progress.  

Edit:  Again, I want Allen gone if we miss the playoffs this year and may lose faith in Snyder entirely if he doesn't fire him.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Then that means Snyder has accepted he cannot buy a championship versus needing that dictated to him by his football personnel, which is progress.  

No, I think it means that Allen has decided that his station is life is ensured by his execution of Snyder's dictates.  He does what Snyder wants, not what a good football personnel guy would do.  He is Vinnie Cerrato's replacement as yes-man, nothing more.  

And clearly, at this point, Snyder has accepted that he cannot buy a championship because he hasn't gotten close in 20 years now.  But, instead of doing the things actually required to win a championship (or just win games consistently), he has contented himself with making money off of a perennially bad franchise.  The promising sign that he was going to listen to competent football personnel was hiring a legit GM (Scot M.  Allen is not a legit GM).  He then had that person fired for no good reason. 

Just because Snyder doesn’t do every possible price gouge or fan screw job doesn’t mean he doesn’t do it often. 

The most glaring example is when the nfl screwed us with a 36 mill dollar cap penalty Snyder did NOTHING.  Why?  Simple.  That’s 36 mill he kept in his pocket that year.  The team and fans suffered.  But Snyder kept the money. 

I cant fathom how anyone DOESNT think Snyder is only in this for money.  Sure he’d like to win a title.  But it’s always money first.  **** the fans.  They’re nothing to him. 

9 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Just because Snyder doesn’t do every possible price gouge or fan screw job doesn’t mean he doesn’t do it often. 

The most glaring example is when the nfl screwed us with a 36 mill dollar cap penalty Snyder did NOTHING.  Why?  Simple.  That’s 36 mill he kept in his pocket that year.  The team and fans suffered.  But Snyder kept the money. 

I cant fathom how anyone DOESNT think Snyder is only in this for money.  Sure he’d like to win a title.  But it’s always money first.  **** the fans.  They’re nothing to him. 

Guys who truly strike me as true fans/owners are Mark Cuban and Bob Kraft. Not this gump.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Because this is the Tailgate, which he has been posting in for a long time, which is 1 of 3 ES main forums, 2 having largely nothing to do with the Redskins. And it's not really as big a deal as some (not really directed at you per se) make it out to be

Yeah I barely watched any 'Skins football over the past three years and have basically dropped out of the team altogether but I still stay here since

1.) I like the people

2.) The 'Skins are less of a sports team than a local institution and being a fan is less of an active exercise than a borderline civic obligation. It's like how some people are "Catholic" even though they only go to Mass once or twice a year. You still know the songs and the traditions but mostly from childhood conditioning. 

3 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Yeah I barely watched any 'Skins football over the past three years and have basically dropped out of the team altogether but I still stay here since

1.) I like the people

2.) The 'Skins are less of a sports team than a civic institution and being a fan is less of an active exercise than a borderline civic obligation. It's like how some people are "Catholic" even though they only go to Mass once or twice a year. You still know the songs and the traditions but mostly from childhood conditioning. 

This is exactly my thought and I love that analogy (and will be stealing it for personal use).  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is exactly my thought and I love that analogy (and will be stealing it for personal use).  

I'm telling you, being around people who aren't D.C. area natives or 'Skins fans (or even sports fans) almost all the time makes you think about this stuff a lot.

I mean, this is objectively ridiculous. The 'Skins have given me nothing but disappointment for as long as I can remember and even if they didn't, there is no reason for them to be as connected with my identity as they are. It's a ****ing sports team for God's sake - a show business firm. You don't see people going bananas over the National Symphony Orchestra and they're more connected with D.C. than the 'Skins are. They're surely better at what they do and they actually perform, primarily, in the city limits. The Washington Redskins haven't actually stepped foot in Washington in 21 years and probably won't ever again unless things change dramatically. 

There is literally no actual, logical reason for me to be a 'Skins fan other than being born in the D.C. area and raised by Washingtonians. This ****'s in my DNA - like the Dodgers used to be in Brooklyn (except the 'Skins are much less lovable than "The Bums" ever were) or the Red Sox for Boston. When you really step back and look at it, you realize how ridiculous the whole thing is but it's grafted on you. That's why I couldn't make myself cheer for the Eagles on Sunday. 

I probably need to talk to a shrink about this. 

Any DC fan should disavow any notion of a curse when the Eagles won their first title since the 60's (NFL Championship) 

And then DC fan is so dramatic after they haven't won since 1991. What about Cavs fans who didn't see a title for 40 years? Eagles fans, 40+ years? Astros fans, first world championship? 

10 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Any DC fan should disavow any notion of a curse when the Eagles won their first title since the 60's (NFL Championship) 

And then DC fan is so dramatic after they haven't won since 1991. What about Cavs fans who didn't see a title for 40 years? Eagles fans, 40+ years? Astros fans, first world championship? 

I agree, but still:

10 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

All a part of the curse. Other cities are breaking long droughts just to torture us.

It's not just championships. It's making the league/conference final four. We haven't made one since 1998, just before Snyder bought the Redskins.

Every city with 4 teams has done that.

11 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Because the whole city hasn't won anything since 1991.  Philly won a World Series in 2008.  The Rockets won back-to-back NBA titles in 1994 and 1995.  Cleveland .... well okay, but I don't feel any better because things aren't as bad as Cleveland

34 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Because the whole city hasn't won anything since 1991.  Philly won a World Series in 2008.  The Rockets won back-to-back NBA titles in 1994 and 1995.  Cleveland .... well okay, but I don't feel any better because things aren't as bad as Cleveland

The Indians have been to three World Series, Cavs are perpetually in NBA finals.

We can't make the Conf Finals/LCS in any sport.

14 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

A bit of revisionist history there.

The owners voted to uphold it, the NFLPA filed a collusion suit and it was ultimately upheld at the federal court level.  The League redistributed the cap space among the other franchises so that the PA wouldn't lose their **** that potential wages were being forfeited by the league.

I wouldn't call that doing nothing.  What would you have them do?

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

A bit of revisionist history there.

The owners voted to uphold it, the NFLPA filed a collusion suit and it was ultimately upheld at the federal court level.  The League redistributed the cap space among the other franchises so that the PA wouldn't lose their **** that potential wages were being forfeited by the league.

I wouldn't call that doing nothing.  What would you have them do?

Snyder could have sued individually as an owner, but doing so would have exposed all of the owners collusion.  He personally didnt lose 36 mill, AND The NFLPA got to keep 36 mill in their players pockets (from other teams).  So who lost?  The other owners got extra cap room to improve their team, the players remained neutral on the cash side, but actually gained advantages because every team except the Skins had more room, and Snyder kept 36 of his own money.  Who lost?  Skins fans.  That's it.

Other teams did similar things re cap acceleration.  Why were we punished?  The rest of the owners know Danny is all about the money and knew he wouldnt do a thing about it.

14 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Just let us vent a little, okay? It's been a long 25 years and the closest we've come, as a city, to a championship is the Caps getting out scored by a nearly 2:1 margin in the Stanley Cup 20 years ago. If every obnoxious Southie could belly ache about their SAWKS going 86 years without a World Series champion despite seeing championships in literally every other major sport (along with the Red Sox winning multiple pennants in that span), then maybe it's not the worst thing in the world for us to whine a little on a 'Skins message board.

Literally no one else cares so all we got is each other. 

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

If only Cuban could be our owner.  

Cuban is a a fan that became an owner... No different than Snyder. Except Cuban grew up as a Steelers fan.

Cuban has won one ring. With arguably the best international player of all time...and a pretty damn good roster. 

Cuban runs sports like a business also...because it is. 

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Or, I dunno, DC resident and world's richest human Jeff Bezos?

Snyder seems like the kind of cat that would die without owning his precious little $$ making baby that made him all these friends.

Who's gonna make him an offer he can't refuse 

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Only downside is that dude owns the Washington Post so a name change would be guaranteed.

Wouldn't even think twice about it.

Snyder certainly didn't get wealthy because of the Redskins. 

He was already wealthy. Wealthy folks have mostly wealthy friends... those celebrities and such that sit in the box with him; are in comparison the kicker sitting next to the QB. 

Unlike others that pretend they will roll out because of Alex Smith... They change the name... I'm out. 

Archived