Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

All the complaints about a "DC Sports curse" and if there was why didn't they lose today? There's no such thing as curses. Sorry to break the news to you. 

Anyone else get the feeling ixc was the type of kid to tell siblings Santa wasn't real?

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Lets get two parades within six months. Caps and Nats. Maybe the Redskins can go on a miracle Super Bowl run too....okay now I'm pushing it.

It would be cool to have the SCF, MLB All Star Game and the WS in DC in a 6 month time period 

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The only thing sadder than believing in this curse nonsense is thinking that making a conference final somehow breaks this mythical curse 

It was really the dumbest thing. But we are talking about 70 sports seasons played in DC with this stupid wall for our teams.

Its nice to breakthrough it. Hopefully the Caps have 8 more wins left in them 

5 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

It was really the dumbest thing. But we are talking about 70 sports seasons played in DC with this stupid wall for our teams.

Its nice to breakthrough it. Hopefully the Caps have 8 more wins left in them 

Its not so much getting through to the Conference finals as beating the Pens and their arrogant, no-lifer, beer-swilling, donut-gorging fans. 

The worst and crassest fanbase in all of hockey (maybe in all of sports). Nothing more beautiful than watching those fat b*stards file in stunned

silence towards the exits.  

@sticksboi05

The DC Sports curse is just an excuse by bitter sports fans to mope and express their negativity. Oh we haven't won anything since 1991 HOW EGREGIOUS!!!!! News flash, Cleveland went ****ing 40+ years without a title, and Buffalo has yet to win one. Toronto hasn't won one since 1992 either. But we DC fans are so "woe is me" mentality, other sports towns exist with worse fortunes. There's no curse. Sports is funny. **** like this happens. It's not a curse, it's just how things go.

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Lets get two parades within six months. Caps and Nats. Maybe the Redskins can go on a miracle Super Bowl run too....okay now I'm pushing it.

I am so happy the Wizards / Redskins weren't the ones to break this barrier. Those trash franchises don't deserve the press or excitement. Capitals deserved to be the ones, and Ovechkin being at the focal point of the big play was icing on top.

47 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I am so happy the Wizards / Redskins weren't the ones to break this barrier. Those trash franchises don't deserve the press or excitement. Capitals deserved to be the ones, and Ovechkin being at the focal point of the big play was icing on top.

I'm a much bigger Nats fan than Caps fan, I typically dont really start following the Caps until later in the year, and then the playoffs. The Stanley Cup playoffs are the best.

Personally, I would have loved to see the Nats do it, but they're too new. They didnt have to watch former players go onto HoF and multiple cup-winning seasons like Scott Stevens and Dino Ciccarelli.

The Redskins are a terrible organization, and no one really cares about the Wizards like they do the Caps.

Objectively, the Caps breaking that 20 year run is the obvious choice.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I'm a much bigger Nats fan than Caps fan, I typically dont really start following the Caps until later in the year, and then the playoffs. The Stanley Cup playoffs are the best.

Personally, I would have loved to see the Nats do it, but they're too new. They didnt have to watch former players go onto HoF and multiple cup-winning seasons like Scott Stevens and Dino Ciccarelli.

The Redskins are a terrible organization, and no one really cares about the Wizards like they do the Caps.

Objectively, the Caps breaking that 20 year run is the obvious choice.

“The D.C. sports city thing is the biggest crock of crap in the entire world,” Nationals first baseman Ryan Zimmerman said over the weekend. “If [people] don’t like every one of their teams going to the playoffs every year, then they should go to a different city where no teams make playoffs. Where none of their teams are competitive every year. It’s the biggest crock. Of course everybody wants their teams to win championships. Move to New England.

“I mean, I get it. Whatever. ‘All the sports teams choke.’ Every city besides one chokes every year. So what. Whatever. I know. It’s fun for [media members]. It’s a great city for being a sports fan. I think people should take the positives. Everyone’s so negative nowadays. ‘Oh, they didn’t win the Stanley Cup.’ Yeah, well they’re a really good team every year that gives you guys something to go watch 80-something times a year that’s going to be one of the better teams in the league. You could be a team that’s terrible.”

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

“The D.C. sports city thing is the biggest crock of crap in the entire world,” Nationals first baseman Ryan Zimmerman said over the weekend. “If [people] don’t like every one of their teams going to the playoffs every year, then they should go to a different city where no teams make playoffs. Where none of their teams are competitive every year. It’s the biggest crock. Of course everybody wants their teams to win championships. Move to New England.

“I mean, I get it. Whatever. ‘All the sports teams choke.’ Every city besides one chokes every year. So what. Whatever. I know. It’s fun for [media members]. It’s a great city for being a sports fan. I think people should take the positives. Everyone’s so negative nowadays. ‘Oh, they didn’t win the Stanley Cup.’ Yeah, well they’re a really good team every year that gives you guys something to go watch 80-something times a year that’s going to be one of the better teams in the league. You could be a team that’s terrible.”

Hey wet blanket, why don't you let people enjoy this moment the way they want to? Some of us see the Sports Curse is a great way to vent 20 years' frustration with the most random and gut-wrenching ways to lose that few other cities have experienced. And you know what those other cities did? They called it a Curse too--"great" sports cities like Boston (Curse of the Bambino), Chicago (Curse of the Billy Goat), Philadelphia (Curse of William Penn).

So why don't you stop yelling at clouds and let people enjoy this, hmmm?

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Hey wet blanket, why don't you let people enjoy this moment the way they want to? Some of us see the Sports Curse is a great way to vent 20 years' frustration with the most random and gut-wrenching ways to lose that few other cities have experienced. And you know what those other cities did? They called it a Curse too--"great" sports cities like Boston (Curse of the Bambino), Chicago (Curse of the Billy Goat), Philadelphia (Curse of William Penn).

So why don't you stop yelling at clouds and let people enjoy this, hmmm?

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

You don't understand what he's saying that it contributes to negativity.

"I think people should take the positives. Everyone’s so negative nowadays. ‘Oh, they didn’t win the Stanley Cup.’ Yeah, well they’re a really good team every year that gives you guys something to go watch 80-something times a year that’s going to be one of the better teams in the league. You could be a team that’s terrible.” "

8 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Try winning a playoff series first Zimm. Between that and he Leonsis quote, screw both of them.

Dude I usually have no problem with you but you are being really negative right now. what's wrong with getting behind your team.

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

You don't understand what he's saying that it contributes to negativity.

"I think people should take the positives. Everyone’s so negative nowadays. ‘Oh, they didn’t win the Stanley Cup.’ Yeah, well they’re a really good team every year that gives you guys something to go watch 80-something times a year that’s going to be one of the better teams in the league. You could be a team that’s terrible.” "

A lot of it too comes from dealing with opposing fans--the ****sburgh fans on the Art Museum steps last year chanting "You can't beat us!" (Well, we just did, assholes!) and the perpetual NLDS taunts from Phillies, Mets, and Braves fans. We'll definitely take the run the Nats have been on the last six years over the '06-'10, where the Nats lost an average of 95.6 games per year. However, I would counter Ryan's statement with a question--"Are you content with just making the NLDS?" We want a parade. We love this team--we get to watch a HoF-er every 5 days. We get to watch one of the brightest stars in the Majors every night. We get to see Rendon, Turner, and some of the best in the business. However, like I'd assume Ryan does, we want a parade down Pennsylvania Ave.

10 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Try winning a playoff series first Zimm. Between that and he Leonsis quote, screw both of them.

I have no idea where this idea DC sports fans are negative comes from...

25 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

This would be awesome if a fan or another media person said it. And a take I'd agree with 100%. Zimm ain't in a position right now to lob that one though

8 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Dude I usually have no problem with you but you are being really negative right now. what's wrong with getting behind your team.

I’m actually in a really good mood right now and think the Caps win the Cup. But **** Ted and Zimm. Ted cares more about filling seats than putting out a real winner and for him to call it embarrassing it’s taken this long right after that win was bull****. I’d be pissed if my boss called my efforts embarrassing after getting over a hurdle. And Zimm has no room to talk. He hasn’t won ****. 

The whole point of professional sports is to win Championships. 

Sure, it’s nice to have good teams over sucky teams, but I’ll quote the late Dale Earnhardt: “Second place just means you’re the first loser.”

It has nothing to do with not appreciating good teams.  At some point there has to be a reward for all of those wins and hard work.

Ask Buffalo Bills fans if they’d trade one of their SB losses if it meant they had to give up all of those other good seasons. Ask Dan Marino.

DC is the Andy Dufrense of sports...though probably without the hope. We're Andy Dufrense if we didn't know how to launder money, create fake identities, and looked at the wall and said "meh, I'll start tomorrow" every day for 12 years.

1 minute ago, pjfootballer said:

Sure, it’s nice to have good teams over sucky teams, but I’ll quote the late Dale Earnhardt: “Second place just means you’re the first loser.”

It has nothing to do with not appreciating good teams.  At some point there has to be a reward for all of those wins and hard work.

Ask Buffalo Bills fans if they’d trade one of their SB losses if it meant they had to give up all of those other good seasons. Ask Dan Marino.

tenor.gif?itemid=3983540

9 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I guess so.  The Redskins have basically sucked for 25 years, but for much of that time they've lived off the glory of their last Super Bowl.  Only in the last few years have despair and fatalism have taken over, as that past glory is now but a distant memory for many, and something alien to those who literally weren't even born when the Redskins last won.

So, to me, that last Lombardi trophy isn't looking so shiny.  From all the dust.

With the Nats and the Caps, every year there's realistic hope for a championship.  Not so much for the Redskins.  There's your curse in a nutshell.

Archived