Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

I love all sports. Of course hockey matters. I was watching and cheering hard in the days of Peter Bondra and Olie the Goalie.

I said yesterday that the Caps have been the most consistently good DC team the past 15+ years. They flop in the playoffs which makes it excruciating to get your hopes up, but this year is different. 

The Curse will not end until there is a championship. Let's end it please for the love of god.

We haven't had a championship parade on Pennsylvania Avenue since the George H.W. Bush Administration. I'm not a hockey fanatic but if the Caps are the ones to break the drought, then so be it.

If you're waiting out for the 'Skins to break the drought as if they still have the attention and adoration they enjoyed 30-40 years ago, then you're in for a long, fruitless wait. The sports landscape and demographics of the city have changed dramatically. Unless things change dramatically with the 'Skins, I'm probably part of the last generation that was raised with the mentality that they are the only show in town that mattered for the foreseeable future (and I was still teased for wearing my burgundy and gold jacket to my elementary school in Fairfax County). 

If the Redskins hegemony over the D.C. Metro Area isn't dead already, it's well on its way unless things change dramatically and in a hurry. 

tired of hearing people whine about the curse or how these playoff teams are so bad and ruin people's lives

Get over yourselves people it's just a game

The team fought hard and lost and here you are whining about how your life is ruined. Smdh 

If the Caps win I'm proud and if the Caps lose I'm still proud. No curse. 

the sooner a team wins the sooner we can stop hearing about this sad excuse of a curse from "bitter DC Sports fans" 

7 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I LOVE all the trolling in here as if D.C. cares at all about the Wizards. Have fun being said I guess : /  we'll be over here enjoying the victories and the ride and one of the most dominant athletes in any sport this century.

Now, I will say dealing with hockey fans who pull the "why don't you like our sport!! (then when you tune in) ..."oh hey johnny come lately" stuff is the worst ... but those are mostly Canadians who have a major inferiority complex. And we don't really like them either.

If you didn't care but you do now, GET ON THE BANDWAGON, WE WANT YOU AND EMBRACE YOU. There's a seat right here and I've got a cold one for you.

I very rarely agree with your opinions and I find most of them to be highly offensive but this is correct. DC don't care about Wizards. Wizards have been irrelevant since 1979. That was the last time they made a ECF. 

Sad. 

Finishing a post by unironically writing "Sad" like a Trump tweet, eh? Nice. 

But you're absolutely right - how dare people have strong feelings about their interests and then have the nerve to express it to people who share said interests? I mean, who does that, right? So lame. 

13 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

tired of hearing people whine about the curse or how these playoff teams are so bad and ruin people's lives

Get over yourselves people it's just a game

The team fought hard and lost and here you are whining about how your life is ruined. Smdh. 

297.png

13 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Finishing a post by unironically writing "Sad" like a Trump tweet, eh? Nice. 

But you're absolutely right - how dare people have strong feelings about their interests and then have the nerve to express it to people who share said interests? I mean, who does that, right? So lame. 

I find most of your opinions highly offensive! [Proceeds to tell people how much they're allowed to care about sports]. Only one person who needs to get over themselves in this thread.

19 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I very rarely agree with your opinions and I find most of them to be highly offensive but this is correct. DC don't care about Wizards. Wizards have been irrelevant since 1979. That was the last time they made a ECF. 

Sad. 

It doesn't change the fact that an equally successful Washington basketball team would take this city by storm much more than a hockey or baseball team. The reason interest in the Nats and Caps have exceeded the Bullets (and gained on the Redskins) is just success. An NBC ECF game 7 would have done double or triple the number...there are just more people in the DC area who care about basketball than hockey. 

19 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Worse part is that they have had not one 50+ game win season during that time. Came close in 2016-17, but no cigar. That takes the Skins streak of not winning 11+ games since 1991 to another level.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Since their first playoff appearance in 82-83, the Caps have made the postseason 28 times in those 35 years.  

You can probably disregard the first decade of that stretch. NHL had 21 teams and 16 made the playoffs. It was probably more of an achievement then to consistently NOT make the playoffs than it was to make the playoffs. But the Caps certainly have been one of the top teams in the league, regular season wise anyway, in the Ovechkin era.

Just now, hail2skins said:

Worse part is that they have had not one 50+ game win season during that time. That takes the Skins streak of not winning 11+ games since 1991 to another level.

You can probably disregard the first decade of that stretch. NHL had 21 teams and 16 made the playoffs. It was probably more of an achievement then to consistently NOT make the playoffs than it was to make the playoffs. But the Caps certainly have been one of the top teams in the league, regular season wise anyway, in the Ovechkin era.

LOL wizards are awful

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Wait wait wait wait wait.

This guy moves here 3 years ago and wants to talk about how calling it a curse is silly?

Also, fta:

To an outsider, it was a crazy thought, because being cursed implies that a mystical, wicked force has taken over, with the sole intention of causing harm.

This guy does know Dan Snyder bought the Redskins the year after any team's last trip to a Conference Championship and/finals, right?

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Ryan Zimmerman killed any notion of a curse with his scathing rejoinder.

OR...he's one of THEM!

They needed some way to define the pain. They needed it to be understood that D.C. is a better sports town than this, and that something beyond logic and control must be contributing to this cycle of following teams that consistently come up short. We all grieve how we need to grieve.

This is exactly the point of this whole thread

20 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

So the Nats and Caps just choke ? 

That does not make it better. 

Nats really don't choke.  They have played teams who eventually are better than them. Meanwhile the caps have choked routinely.  

The Nats have lost leads while the caps actually lose to inferior competition. 

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The "curse" really only applied to the Nats and Caps. The Skins and Wiz are just bad franchises that have consistently made bad moves.

That's been my stance all along...

The Wizards and Redskins have rarely, if ever, underachieved when they've had decent seasons. They generally lose in the playoffs to teams that should expect to beat them. Seattle in 2005/2007 was a Super Bowl contender and we were a 6-seed both years. In 2012 I suppose we could have beaten Seattle at home, but then almost certainly would have lost in Atlanta. For the Wiz, I can't think of a playoff series they've lost when I truly thought that they were the better team. 

As for the Nats and Caps, I still don't consider it a curse - rather a couple franchises that simply didn't have the right make up to win in crunch time. 

Archived