Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

7 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

^ I wouldn't have bumped this thread at this particular moment...but hey we are almost there ?

I'll ban myself if we lose this game.  In all honesty, them being here was the hard part, all that nonsense between the ears looks gone and they just playing hockey now.  Fine to say Curse isn't Broken, but neither are the Capitals anymore.

That was the complete opposite of every Elimination Game DC teams have ever played--the Lightning were the ones ringing posts, leaving pucks just drifting parallel to the goal line, floating in the crease, untouched. At one point, Caps had 6 shots, scoring on two of them

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Nobody cares about hockey. Even if they win, the curse is still alive for 85% of people that watch sports. 

(Runs) 

Lol, someone will say the same thing about the Nats (considering how many people hate baseball here), and I wouldn't be shocked if somebody said that about the Wizards (considering our fanbase can fit inside a matchbox).  They count, be happy : )

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Nothing screams curse more than losing in the finals to an expansion team in its first season, put together by your ex-GM. 

Ok bye. :)

This is true but the problem is that now that we've made a finals we've beaten out Minny-St Paul in terms of luck.  They've made conference finals but no finals since '98.  Since we've now reached a finals we can't be considered as or more unlucky as them.

So while I would agree, the general public won't hear of it.

So we better put on our war faces and win.

I LOVE all the trolling in here as if D.C. cares at all about the Wizards. Have fun being said I guess : /  we'll be over here enjoying the victories and the ride and one of the most dominant athletes in any sport this century.

Now, I will say dealing with hockey fans who pull the "why don't you like our sport!! (then when you tune in) ..."oh hey johnny come lately" stuff is the worst ... but those are mostly Canadians who have a major inferiority complex. And we don't really like them either.

If you didn't care but you do now, GET ON THE BANDWAGON, WE WANT YOU AND EMBRACE YOU. There's a seat right here and I've got a cold one for you.

I don't get people who come in here and are all like "hockey doesn't matter." Uhhm, I see more hockey gear than ANY other team in this area and its been that way for years now(Nats might be a close 2nd).

The Redskins are dead in this town and nobody cares about the Wizards.

42 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

If you didn't care but you do now, GET ON THE BANDWAGON, WE WANT YOU AND EMBRACE YOU. There's a seat right here and I've got a cold one for you.

Well, thank you, sir. I appreciate that!

I was a Devils fan back in the Scott Stevens, Scott Neidermayer, Marty Brodeur days, mainly because of those three. I loved watching Stevens decimate people. The cancelled season back in 2005--plus the excitement for FINALLY having a baseball team--killed all interest in hockey for a number of years. The last 5 years or so, I've been a casual Caps fan.

This is the type of attitude this city needs. This is huge for DC. We have been so bereft of any sort of post-season success that anyone who wants to root and pull for the Caps shouldn't be shamed. As an Aught-Fiver Nationals fan, I couldn't care less if you've just started getting into the Nats or only started liking them in 2012, or whenever.

Welcome. Cheer, enjoy, hop on board.

Edit, after watching most of the playoff games, I ****ing love Tom Wilson.

I'm happy for Caps fans and I've enjoyed watching some of their games this postseason.  Hockey is a great sport, and going to NHL games was definitely my favorite live pro sport experience.

It's just not for me.  I don't have the passion for it like I do with basketball and football.  And I find baseball more entertaining and interesting too.  And that's about all of the attention I can spare for team sports.

I know what it feels like to go on a fantastic postseason run with your team because my college football team did it the year after I graduated.  But that wasn't at the level of this.  I'm hoping that you guys get to experience a championship.  That first one is incredible.  And I'm hoping that this is a sign that the worm has turned and we'll get to see similar success from DC's other three men's teams soon.  The Nats are always a threat and it feels like the Redskins might finally be getting their act together too.

40 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Redskins are dead in this town and nobody cares about the Wizards.

The Redskins are far from dead.  They're still the dominant team in the area.  But it's true that no one cares about the Wizards.  The Nats are doing well though.  DC has become a surprisingly good baseball city relatively quickly, because baseball is not an easy sport to figure out.  It's certainly helped that we've gotten to watch a lot of good players and teams.

Okay maybe not dead, but they're dead team walking. Go to Redskins games, its 50% opposing fans. I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a Redskins jersey in public.

And I think if the Caps win the Cup, it'll take a lot of pressure off the Nats this October and they'd play better, at least at home. Look at what happened in Boston after the Pats won it or San Fran when the Giants started winning. Domino affects are real. Unfortunately the Skins and Wiz aren't close enough to taking advantage of that tidal wave.

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm happy for Caps fans and I've enjoyed watching some of their games this postseason.  Hockey is a great sport, and going to NHL games was definitely my favorite live pro sport experience.

It's just not for me.  I don't have the passion for it like I do with basketball and football.  And I find baseball more entertaining and interesting too.  And that's about all of the attention I can spare for team sports.

I know what it feels like to go on a fantastic postseason run with your team because my college football team did it the year after I graduated.  But that wasn't at the level of this.

Good sir, we want you ON THE BANDWAGON if there's a parade. You better believe we want you there to experience it (IF we pull it off), whether you're a diehard or not. This playoff run is for everyone in D.C. who has had to deal with disappointment for decades.

Honestly win or lose they've already done SO much for the city's teams - no more "they can't get it done" and "the sky is about to fall" and "2nd round - here's comes the auto L". None of that garbage anymore. When the game is close late, believe. It can happen.

Whoa baseball more entertaining than hockey?

I mean, to each their own but hockey is all action and lit AF.  Brawls in baseball are a big deal.  That's like SOP for hockey.

As for the Skins, I think the mismanagement has caught up.  There aren't any anchors.  RGIII big then fails.  AlMo big then let go.  Kirk big then replaced.  I guess we're all supposed to be huge Smith fans now?  Like he's good but I won't have the same zeal for him as someone with more history here.  Not to take anything from Trent or Kerrigan but there's a difference.

Meanwhile, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Harper, Wall.  These guys have names with weight and history.  Sure, DC is DC, with regards to success (hence this thread), but when you watch the Caps/Wiz/Nats you know some of those guys are gonna blow up given the chance and enhance the excitement about the team.

Why is everyone talking about the other DC sports teams? Personally, I'm a casual Nats fan, a casual Wiz fan, and I don't give a damn about the Skins (I'm a Miami Dolphins fan...er... long story). But what they do for anybody? This is the Caps moment, let them have it. 

Archived