Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Philly - Desean Jackson Was a Problem for Kelly, Eagles Locker Room

Dan T.

Another issue I think hasn't been touched on enough is the whole "Didn't have/make many friends" thing. I never knew that was a bad thing. Some guys just don't own the room when they step inside, or have very endearing personalities. Some people are just very reserved. From what I've heard, Jackson was very quiet, and outside of maybe McCoy and Vick, didn't really chill with anyone else outside of football.

Coupling that with Kelly's rigid system, where he regulates a lot of what athletes do in regards operating at peak efficiency within it, on top of the whole "I'm the new sherriff in town" college coach mentality, I can see why there could've been some sparks.

And this is where Brian Mitchell comes in. On 980 he talked about how being a head coach in the NFL is just as much about managing personalities as well as X's and O's. The better the coach is in this department, the more he can get out of players. He said it was why he admired Gibbs so much, because he was more like a psychologist than a coach... He was a guy you could lay some thoughts on, and reach on a personal level. Some caches will just wash their hands of a guy, while others will work with them (depending on their talent level) and get them to perform and and be a good soldier. To me that is a very important trait.

Not every coach is capable of that.  From everything I've heard about Gruden, it seems that he is the quintessential "Players coach." The my way or the highway stuff doesn't work that well anymore... it just doesn't. So Chip Kelly's loss may be Grudens gain in this dept. Jackson himself talked in an article about "Vibing up and popping it off" (whatever the hell that means) with Gruden a dinner already. Plus when you see a locker room that went to the lengths that they did to welcome Jackson with open arms, all the way to the fanbase and other celebs showing him love to an absurd degree, during the character assassination campaign, making him feel at home, I would imagine that he was taken aback by all of the support.... support that maybe he didn't get in the Eagles locker room (for whatever reason), support that he hadn't had since Andy Reid was coach, maybe.

Locker rooms are a funny place, and even Cooley mentioned that it doesn't take much for a guy to not make friends. So as much as people complain about our team of grandma helping choir boys, maybe in this instance, its a huge plus, in making a dude with some baggage feel like he's one of them.

Yeah it sounds like Kelly couldn't make it work with Jackson and instead decided to get rid of him, instead of manage him like good head coaches do. Andy Reid had no issue with Desean Jackson.

It's also funny how this stuff doesn't come out until afterwards, not during the season when, you know, Jackson is having his best year and helping the team win a division.

We probably don't have to worry about any of this behavior resurfacing for a year or two, if it's true. He's under a microscope now and in a new environment. I doubt he's bold or stupid enough to pick up where he left off in Philly. Hopefully Hall can gain his trust and get through to him if he needs it. It doesn't sound like there was a senior player in Philly willing to do that. Maybe there was and it was futile.

I know this is going against popular opinion but I initially I did not like this signing. After reading multiple articles describing Jackson's attitude and diva mentallity I'm now REALLY not liking this signing. Can he play the game of football? Yes! He's easily a top-10 wideout and the best deep threat in the league. Think about that for a second. Our division rivals just LET GO a top 10 player at his positon for absolutely nothing. Not even a 7th rounder to the Oakland Raiders? That just doesn't add up, its just illogical. Hate them as much as you want but the Ealges organization is a fairly stable one, and Chip Kelly isn't an idiot.

I'm concerned about the effect this will have on our young guys and our 1st year head coach, who by the way, has zero experience dealing with diva's at this level. This is now just another obstacle JG must overcome,as if the list wasn't long enough..Go ahead and read about the multiple times DJ has cursed out Chip Kelly and acted up in 1 season alone! Read about how his teammates didn't like him and he was a loner.

Paint me as a pessimist, but I'm hoping we win some games next year or this is going to blow up in our face. This signing just reeks of Dan Snyder re-affirming control of the organization. We all know how that has worked out so far. <_<

What's funny is Jackson is the one taking the high road. He hasn't said anything I've seen negative about Kelly or the Eagles...

Heh, I never thought about it but, yeah he's been very proffesional not telling his side of the story. It could be a sign of maturity; at least I hope it is?

To give weight to the description in the article of DeSean's place in the locker room, these two pictures give a hint.

After the Eagles beat Dallas in week 17 to win the NFC East championship, the offensive starters gathered in the locker room for a picture to honor LeSean McCoy also winning the 2013 NFL rushing title (complete with the joke rushing title belt).

All of the offensive starters (and a couple of backups) were in the picture except for Riley Cooper

2eci36h.jpg

and one other notable exception

1z1wrx0.jpg

As to the notion that Chip Kelly didn't try to manage Jackson and just decided to get rid of him, that isn't what the article said. Everyone has their limits. Whether you think Chip Kelly is a good or bad coach, he is a student of the game, and he probably took the words of a late great coach to heart:

"Instilling the right culture almost always takes time. And inevitably there will be some who balk against your standards. But, you must have the courage to confront and even remove the dissenters from your program, even though they might be highly talented. Ultimately, you must believe that your successful culture will attract, support, and retain the right talent and people, which will help you prevail and succeed in the long run."

- Bill Walsh

Maybe getting cut was a wake-up call for Jackson, and maybe the Redskins' locker room and new head coach will be able to get him to truly be a team player in deeds instead of just words. Maybe a 27-year-old leopard will be able to change his spots.

Never knew that everyone on a team had to be best friends. I'm pretty sure there are guys currently on the roster that don't hang out with everyone. It's irrelevant

I saw the interview on ESPN and I think Desean learned his lesson and will grow from this. Until he does something wrong as a Redskin, I have no reason to not believe that he has changed

And why does the Oregon fan post here? I'm really confused. Are you even an Iggles fan? If not, why do you care about the Skins enough to post here?

DJax is coming across very well in these interviews. The guys had issues, but all this locker room trash, well there's two sides to that story. It's like the rest of the working environments in the world, they have to be managed well. Poor man management allows issues to escalate. That's on the coaches, not the player.

Don't know if all these things are true or not...

But I do have a feeling that DeAngelo Hall who went through similar situations will be perfect in helping DeSean Jackson into a better person and professional...

I'm a senior producer for a radio newsroom these days (as insane as that sounds) and that involves managing some talent.  Now, in the newsroom there's a mix of talent and personalities.  If someone is a Diva, but productive and gets what's assigned to them done and done well... then the divadom isn't an issue.  It's okay to work with people you don't like or who is aloof or even a jerk as long as they get it done and don't prevent others from getting stuff done.  Everyone doesn't need to be friends.  Disagreements are natural and criticism is good.  The boss isn't above reproach and some ideas he has (including mine) are stupid and they should be pointed out.

If I look at Desean from the outside I suspect he's a pain to work at.  Was he productive and contributing to the product in a positive way.  Well, he did so in a way that merited a huge extension from the Eagles and enough that his peers selected him to three Pro Bowls.  On top of that, he generated his best output.  So, he may be a jerk, but who cares?  Make it work.  His jerkdom didn't seem to prevent the team from being destructive, didn't seem to create divisions and distractions within the team that stopped them from winning.

In business, you needn't be friends.  You needn't have friends as co-workers.  It helps.  It makes life nicer.

I've worked in a lot of restaurants. I'm very good at what I do. I also have a large footprint. I don't always make a lot of friends and sometimes, after a new GM is brought in, I end up on the outs. That's when it's time to move on.

This isn't a big deal. I'm happy to see DJax is the one on the high road. Only time will tell.

This article does nothing but prove to me that Kelly is a poor football coach. His job is to make sure that 3 time pro bowl players are not let go due to disagreements with the HC, Pretty pathetic really. But their lose is our gain.

Exactly my line of thought on this, no matter what DJax issues are, you certainly don't let him free to go to a rival out of spite. You either trade him to Siberia for a bag of doodles or you keep him and manage in house. 

They made the playoffs with a bad apple.

We weren't close without one.

Maybe going out of the way to build a team of all good apples can be counter productive. 

Perhaps having 1 or 2 lightning rods is good. It keeps the intense media scrutiny off of players that do better without it. 

I'll say it again.

1.  You don't hear anything that another player or Chip Kelly may have said or done, you're only hearing what DJax supposedly said, which means anything in these articles is taken out of context before it's even sliced up for news.

2.  DJax made a lot of money and was cut in an unexpected way.  Its easy to knock Philly's locker room for a lack of courage, but would you put your Job on the line to give the truth, and potentially put you at odds with the others you have to work with?   It's easy to say you should always tell the truth, but its not easy to do so and become the odd man in the locker room.

3.  So someone has been leaking stuff to the press, we don't know who right now, clearly someone is upset about it enough to talk about it.

I'm not saying Jackson is a saint, or that Philly is just some cesspool but there's a lot we won't be told because of fear.  Fear does not make one a Coward, especially when your family is counting on that payday. 

All I keep coming back to is this:

He's 27, a completely healthy elite WR coming into his prime with a chip on his shoulder against a division rival.

A financially sound move that leverages exactly zero draft picks....it's the kind of personnel move that never happens....an absolute gift from god if he plays anywhere near his expected level. If he doesn't then they're no worse than they were expected to be at WR this year anyway AND it puts the Chip Kelly Eagles on uneven footing with the media and the NFLPA? ******* awesome.

Plus, and this is a HUGE point, off the field distractions IMHO are mostly the responsibility of the coaching staff. Players are gonna argue, they're gonna fight, they're gonna commit crimes unfortunately, if you let it affect your team and/or don't have the leadership ability to work it out then it's on you. Chip Kelly couldn't handle Desean Jackson, that's on him.

To be honest if the 24 hour news cycle existed back in the days of Gary Clark and his sideline antics he would have been painted as something other than the maniacal competitor that he was. I remember him sitting on the bench way after a loss just pissed off at himself (at Arizona game 1992?). Could you imagine the talking heads today? "It's all about him" "Be with your team" "blah, blah, blah, blah."

that, unfortunately, does speak volumes.

Mr. Sin, well said mehson.

that, unfortunately, does speak volumes.

Mr. Sin, well said mehson.

Vick May have bad character, but I think he has shown to be a team player. I don't remember him causing a big fuss when he was benched. So when it comes to judging someone as a cancer in the locker room...I think Vick endorsing wanting DJax does speak well for him as a player....maybe not his personal choices but as a player yes....people need to separate player from person....like separating business from personal in our own daily lives.

Archived