Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Philly - Desean Jackson Was a Problem for Kelly, Eagles Locker Room

Dan T.

Sounds to me after his dad died he took it real hard and maybe didn't have that strong male influence in his life. When my mom died of pancreatic cancer out of the blue back in 2012 I went into a shell and didn't reall want to associate with anyone for a year because I was devasted and angry and I lashed out at people that didn't deserve it. So maybe he was a loner and didn't make many friends on the Eagles. You could tell that love and acceptance Griffin, DHall and the other people that reached out to him from our organization when he was cut meant a lot to him. Maybe that's all he needs and he will have learned his lesson and have grown from his past experiences. Maybe he just needed people to show a young brother some love and positivity. I hope that's it because if his mind is in the right place he will be a serious weapon for us so they need to figure it out and make this thing work. He has a clean slate here, lets hope he takes advantage.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9756561

in case you haven't seen it.  Desean's not a wild child.  He's a football junkie that has a bit of a ego problem lol but can you blame him, dudes dad had him working at it since a young age. That's his edge at 5'10 170. Redskins really are the beneficiaries of a great opportunity 

wow, writer of the original nj.com report caught feelings lol. This guy is just a hardcore eagles fan on a campaign

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/04/five_things_desean_jackson_and_stephen_a_smith_got_wrong.html

In what was billed as an interview to "clear the air," former Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson sat down with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Friday for a wide-ranging discussion.

Jackson addressed an NJ.com story in whichpolice connected him to gang members allegedly involved in two Los Angeles homicides. He talked about reports that he has missed meetings, and he discussed his relationship with Eagles head coach Chip Kelly.

But in that 30-minute interview, Jackson and Smith mischaracterized the NJ.com story several times. Here's what they got wrong:

Smith said the NJ.com report stated that Jackson is in a gang.

In the story, Los Angeles police said there was no evidence Jackson was in a gang, but that they believed he was associated with reputed gang members, and police were troubled that Jackson was flashing gang signs on social media and in NFL games. (When the story was published, the NFL said it would look into whether Jackson was flashing gang signs, which would be grounds for discipline.)

LAPD Detective Eric Crosson said in the story: "You don't want to see anybody throwing up gang signs like he did in the Redskins game last year. Those were neighborhood Crip gang signs and he flashed them during a game. He may not be affiliated with the gang, but they don't [ordinarily] take kindly to those not in the gang throwing up those gang signs."

During the interview, Smith said, "You are not associated, or do not hang out, with any gang members."

Jackson, however, admitted during the interview that he associates with gang members, just not when they're doing "negative things." Jackson tried to make the distinction of hanging out with gang members as individuals while not being affiliated with their gangs.

"Do I know friends that are out there involved (in gang activities)? Yes," Jackson told ESPN on Friday. "I try to stay away from them. ... I'm definitely aware and know certain gang members, but as far as me being affiliated and me being a gang member, never not have once been. Never have had any affiliation with going out and doing things that are against the law."

Later, when addressing the gang signs, he said, "... if you see signs or if you see me in pictures with affiliated gang members or whatever the case may be, that sign I am throwing up is to connect me with me and my boys," he said.

Smith implied the story about Jackson's alleged gang ties was leaked by the Eagles to NJ.com.

The conspiracy theories surrounding the story are comical. NJ.com uncovered Jackson's ties to alleged gang members through its own reporting. The Eagles played no part in NJ.com's investigation. When asked about Jackson's alleged gang ties, team officials said they were unaware of the ties and would not comment.

The NFLPA says it will look into whether the Eagles engaged in a smear campaign. When a union official contacted NJ.com sports director Kevin Manahan, the official was told the Eagles provided no information on Jackson's alleged gang ties.

During the ESPN interview, Jackson said he knew about the story a few days before its publication -- because NJ.com reached out to his representatives for comment and to speak with Jackson. But Jackson was not made available, and his publicist's sole comment was to deny Jackson was in a gang, an accusation the story never made.

DeSean Jackson said he has missed "one meeting" in his career

According to what's already been reported, that's likely not true. Jackson was suspended for missing a meeting in 2011, and skipped an exit interview with Kelly at the end of this past season. That's two.

In addition, an Eagles source told NJ.com two weeks ago that Jackson missed multiple meetings last season.

CBS Sports reported Friday that Jackson hasn't been a model employee.

Jackson said he distanced himself from Theron Shakir, his friend and a rapper who performed for Jackson's music label, while Shakir was on trial for murder.

"Through the process, and the time where (Theron Shakir) was in jail, I kind of had to almost step back," Jackson said during the ESPN interview. "Because I'm a professional athlete. I know the ties of being around, or being seen, or making calls, or doing all that stuff that could easily make me be apart of it," Jackson said.

Jackson's instagram account, however, told a different story. Jackson posted a picture of Shakir during the trial, pleading for his release.

After the NJ.com story was published, Jackson deleted all photos of Shakir and him from his account, as well as other photos shown in the NJ.com reporting.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9756561

in case you haven't seen it.  Desean's not a wild child.  He's a football junkie that has a bit of a ego problem lol but can you blame him, dudes dad had him working at it since a young age. That's his edge at 5'10 170. Redskins really are the beneficiaries of a great opportunity

Yeah I think he is gonna turn it around and buy into being part of the team. He just got steered the wrong way a little when his dad died. My hope is that DHall, Griffin, Garçon really make it a point to befriend him and include him in stuff off the field so he feels part of the team, welcome and ready to tear it up and be a redskin for years to come. I think we really could have scored here huge with this signing.

This whole notion that NOT ONE current Eagle or former Eagle has said anything for Desean is BULLSPIT!

here's is Chris Carter's (former Eagle) take on this whole fiasco:

“Well you gotta handle your business better. You got to be able to handle your business that the organization is not put in a situation where they’re going to compromise the overall ability of the team. Because players—elite players can’t be replaced. I know fans think they can, but they can’t. And I believe if I was able to get the type of care and I would have stayed on that [Eagles] team and Reggie White had stayed in Philadelphia I believe we would have won a Super Bowl. I believe that ultimately I would have gotten the same result. That’s what I always say is my biggest regret. When someone drafts you I wish—it’s nothing against the Minnesota people, but I wish I had the same success I had in Philadelphia that I ended up having in Minnesota,” Carter said.

“The Eagles have the right to employ and cut who they want to, but I don’t believe they had the right to allow this affiliation with the gang to be perpetuated. I believe they could have stopped that. That’s a stiff accusation to put on an African-American. If you look at the guys they got in that locker room and guys who have done things and look at their roster from last year, they got Riley Cooper, they had Michael Vick. And now DeSean Jackson maybe he’s not able to play for the Eagles or get traded as a Pro Bowler because he has some gang affiliation? Like, it’s just not right. If you’re gonna release, you don’t wanna pay him and everything, that’s fine. And that’s why my greatest respect for Buddy Ryan was Buddy looked me in the eye and talked to me as a man. He said this organization does not really want to keep you, but I really do. They don’t believe in chemical dependency that you can get better.”

LeSean McCoy is trying to sound neutral but he seems a little upset

“I heard the rumors, but I was surprised for sure,” McCoy told Fox Sports. “I mean, he’s probably one of our biggest playmakers that we had. He can make plays at any given time. He can control the game. He’s probably the biggest deep threat in the NFL. To lose a guy like that is definitely tough. He’ll definitely be missed. Obviously every move is made for a reason.

“The guys upstairs made the decision for a reason. When you do things like that, you have backup plans in your mind. You don’t let one of the top wide receivers go and then not have anything to back it up. I’m sure coach (Chip) Kelly and (general manager) Howie (Roseman), they’ll be able to take care of it.”

LeSean McCoy is trying to sound neutral but he seems a little upset

Like I've been saying someone in Philly ****ed up big time and we will take him. I would have never imagined we'd be going into this season with DeSean Jackson and not having to give up a draft pick. Kelly is an idiot and can't wait to play them.

Hopefully he learned from the mistakes he made whether it was immaturity, selfishness, whatever.. was humbled by being released, and truly appreciates this organization giving him a chance to right those wrongs with a new staff and teammates. I'm sure there was some truth to his disposition at times but also a lot of media spin, smear campaign etc. I like all I've heard from him so far, he admitted his faults and his passion etc. Going forward I think he'll be great.

Yet Riley Cooper got a contract extension.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

Show one, just one source (article, video, etc. ) that even insinuates that Cooper was/is a diva, a locker room cancer, and/or a malcontent to his teammates and coaches.  Until then, stop about Riley Cooper's extension.  The situations are apples to carrots in comparison.  Cooper said some stupid things while drunk, something that no other player or person has ever done, I know, but he still had the full support of his team, even those that are African American.  One drunken incident does not a personality make.   A full season (if not as many as six) of bad attitude and disrespect is another story.

Show one, just one source (article, video, etc. ) that even insinuates that Cooper was/is a diva, a locker room cancer, and/or a malcontent to his teammates and coaches.  Until then, stop about Riley Cooper's extension.  The situations are apples to carrots in comparison.  Cooper said some stupid things while drunk, something that no other player or person has ever done, I know, but he still had the full support of his team, even those that are African American.  One drunken incident does not a personality make.   A full season (if not as many as six) of bad attitude and disrespect is another story.

Yeah.  Everyone goes on racist rants every now and again.

“The fact is, [Jackson] was a ‘me-guy’...

Well, that makes sense as to why RGMe likes him, birds of a feather flock together...

Still, doesn't mean he can't produce for us, I think he will the first year and then go down hill from there. Hope I'm wrong.

I totally believe that Desean was a big ahole a lot of the times with Kelly. I'm sure he even had a bunch of frenemies on the Eagles because of his attitude. It takes a lot for me to dislike a guy that I don't really know, and Desean was on my list. 

That being said, the fact that Chip Kelly NEVER fined, suspended, or even LOOKED like he was angry at him at any point during his career year last season to me says A LOT MORE than anything the Eagles can put out in the media. I mean, yeesh, Chip was just so frustrated with him he kept calling plays that go to him to the tune of 1,300 yards. Must've been so hard for poor old Chip to call those plays! Or, I'm sorry, not "call a play" but put a sign up with some random picture. Those signs seem to have called Desean's number a lot.   

I'd love to ask that player who gave the anonymous quote about Desean how he felt about Chip Kelly NEVER ONCE disciplining Desean all year last season. I mean, the team is sooo much better without him, right? Then why didn't he start ridding the team of this miserable cancer last season?

Yeah. Makes a lot of sense.  

Well, that makes sense as to why RGMe likes him, birds of a feather flock together...

Still, doesn't mean he can't produce for us, I think he will the first year and then go down hill from there. Hope I'm wrong.

Do you really hope you're wrong? You seem like the type that loves to marinate in negativity.

$.02

Here's my feelings. ..I could care less as long as he isn't getting suspended or arrested. I think a lot of that stuff stems from jealousy, & to much emphasis on unified programming. I know people who get upset all the time when something isn't being done exactly by the book. They figure that if they have to, so should you. Then if you're loud, or getting paid more, it becomes envy, & loathing.

I can't say with any certainty that this was the case in the Eagles locker room...but let's do some logical deduction, shall we?

1) work ethic - was he in shape? Elite shape if you ask me. Did he know the offense? He didn't seem to get lost, or run incorrect routes to me. Did he drop off in production? No...quite the contrary. Did he do things on the field consistently that negatively impacted his team on the field? Not that I ever saw.

About the only question I have here is if he couldn't get better at beating press from bigger CB's. We're not talking about Shaq even, who gained weight every off season, & simply refused to work on free-throws. & Shaq wasn't even a bad guy...but his work ethic was very questionable once he hit the pros.

2) affiliations - seriously. ..as a distant fanatic of a franchise NFL team I could care less about any accusations until an arrest is made, or we start hearing about how any of it may be effecting on field performance.

3) douchebaggery - I played on almost all of my teams as the aloof, often picked on, quiet locker-room type. Sometimes it seemed as though nobody even recognized I was there. I produced on the field in spite of this, won awards, & got accolades from the coaches all the time.

Point is...my attitude was shared by many in the locker. Do your job, & do it so that I don't even need to know your name to tell you otherwise, & we'll get along famously. We won 2 titles that way. Weren't too many friends on those teams.

Futher...I'm fairly certain that had those days been the NFL, & our situation played out the same that guys would not have come to my aid or defense, & may have even said some nasty things. Guys didn't like me...I was bullied constantly. A far cry from being a diva. ..but ostricized nonetheless.

4) media. ..etc. - shame on anyone remotely associated with this organization. ..especially after all the Shanahanegans we just went through to EVER TAKE A STORY WITH UNNAMED ANONYMOUS SOURCES SERIOUSLY AGAIN...EVER!!! I already had been at that point, but after what we just went through, I will never, EVER, give any utterance, or ounce of scribble the time of day as soon as the phrase "unnamed anonymous sources" is mentioned. Period.

Some may choose to keep an open mind on this, but you can give me 52 unnamed sources & give me their position, & I still won't think a billionth of a second over it until names are mentioned. You can tell me all day about locker-room politics this, or ethics blah-blah-blah. I don't give a scintilla of oxygen particles to the effort needed to even remotely consider a word uttered after that phrase.

Call it what you will...whether you think I'm going all Ostrich on this or what have you...I'll be the sane one.

For those with doubts about the signing and can't believe that they would just get rid of their best WR who led their team in receiving hve bought into the BS that the Eagles are slinging. The Eagles organization is such a stable organization that they have never done anything to provide a consistent winner or even a NFL Super Bowl Championship. Lurie is a cheapskate owner and doesn't want to pay his players what they are worth. Chip Kelly is an arrogant and pompous ass that takes the "my way or the highway" attitude. His Oregon teams never had any superstars on their teams and always had role players to perform. The DeSean Jackson drama that led to his dismissal is all a smoke screen by the Eagle organization. Too many different accounts about how or why he was let go have come out. That right there should give you a strong indication of how stupid the Eagles organization really is. They let a ultra talented WR go because of his attitude and disruptive behavior  to the team but kept a guy that brought disgrace to the team by using a racial slur at a country concert. They can forgive those things from an average player but not from a Superstar. Just goes to show you how little management skills both Lurie and Kelly have.

^^ Great post nemocystem

The constant in this entire drama is the silence of the Beagles. No one on record with the negative comments. All behind the veiled "unnamed source". Chicken****... Or, better, no one who says, "Yeah, I saw wtf he was doing last year to Kelly. I called his ass out on it in front of a bunch of teammates to try to straighten his ass out."

I have no doubt Jackson is a diva. A me-guy. A prick of a teammate who expects special treatment. They're on every sports team...

Yeah.  Everyone goes on racist rants every now and again.

You're right. Everyone who has ever used that word is automatically a racist. The entire NFL must be made up of nothing but racists, since the use of that word is so rampant that they had to consider penalizing it out of the game. SMH!

No line of thinking you travel on makes any sense. 

So Jackson was a distraction and didn't listen to anyone but he had more catches and yards last year than he ever had and the Eagles won the division, does this make sense.  I wonder if this is just 2 men who dont get along, its possible Jackson and Kelly just dont like each other.

Archived