Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Philly - Desean Jackson Was a Problem for Kelly, Eagles Locker Room

Dan T.

Published today, this article, more than anything I've read, likely gets to the core of why Desean Jackson was released by the Eagles and Chip Kelly.  The information has been alluded to here in the last week or so, but because this article lays it out in such stark terms, I decided to post it in a thread of its own.  

This is a sobering counterpunch to the positive vibe the signing brought. That may be good.  We need to look at this with eyes wide open. 

You could consider it a hatchet piece... it was published after Jackson's release and all the quotes are unattributed.  But there's no denying the animosity against Jackson by some unknown subset of players on the Eagles roster.  Forget the gang ties stuff. That's a minor aside in this whole thing.  

The saving grace in this is that it appears to be a case where a change of scenery can cure the evils.

Joseph Santoliquito

Philadelphia, PA (CBS) — In the days following DeSean Jackson’s release by the Eagles, speculation ran rampant as to the reasons why. Everything was to blame from Jackson’s petulant, rambunctious sideline behavior, to his alleged gang ties, to Jackson’s character, to this being Chip Kelly’s fault.

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.

Several other sources also suggested that Jeremy Maclin may have had an issue if Jackson returned to the Eagles in 2014. He wasn’t alone, if that’s true.

“The fact is, [Jackson] was a ‘me-guy’ with an attitude problem and [Maclin] is the complete opposite, a team guy, a great character guy you go to war with,” said one source. “Funny how [Jackson] has this anti-bully thing and he thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff. The team knew it. Everyone knew he had ‘ties.’ Those were his guys. That’s okay. What put him out was his selfishness. He can try and spin it all he wants how he’s ‘a team player.’ He’s not. I’ll put it this way, when it came out last Friday that [Jackson] was released, more than a few guys were happy it happened. They said ‘good riddance.’ He had no real connection with anyone.

“Yes, you can say he was the type that could catch three TDs in a loss—everyone would be down, but you had the impression he was happy, because he got his. It was all about him. A lot of guys thought that way about him. [Kelly] came in here with a plan to get this thing right, and the one major [obstacle] standing in his way was [Jackson]. If we were going to move forward as a team, he had to go. Think about it—did anyone come right out and back him publicly? Not one."

"You see little kids and how they cry and whine when they don’t get their way, that was D-Jax,” another source said. “I don’t think [Jackson] gave [Kelly] the respect he deserved. Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out. Then you look at team functions, when everyone is out together at charity things or social stuff. He was the one missing. It was like he was in ‘D-Jax world’ and we just happened to be there.”

Much more at: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/sources-desean-jackson-was-a-problem-for-kelly-eagles-in-locker-room/

Yeah Stephen A Smith brought this article up during the interview. I think you could tell that it caught him off guard a little. Didn't really delve into the Chip Kelly stuff, but did mention several "Mistakes" that he's made in the past, and how he isn't perfect.

Here's what I think (or hope). I think he did sour on some people last year. Maybe he was a little immature. I think the bottom line here is that some guys need a wake up call every now and then. I think Jackson got it, having to deal with the public embarrasment of being booted off your team after the best season you've ever had, and having your name and everything about you dragged through the mud.

Maybe he learned from whatever the hell happened there. I think he also probably realizes that now all eyes are on him, and that people are going to be watching how he reacts to all of this, particularly if the team hits some adversity during the season, and that he now has a blank slate in which he can either show his teammates that it was a) bull**** or b: a different Desean Jackson, and make things work here, or he can prove the hit pieces right and damage his potential to earn another nice contract. 

The ball is in his court and I hope he is ready to play.

^  Very well put.  I'd also like to add what are teamates in Philly suppose to say?  "Unbelievable how our front office is so stupid to get rid of a guy like this".  You can't throw Chip under the bus while your still on the team what kind of sense does that make?  Perhaps some in the locker room probably did not like Jackson, but I think some did.  The quietness from the teammates could go both ways.

I was skeptical of the Jay Gruden hire but signing Jackson may ultimately be the test of fire both of them need.  Gruden to command a lockeroom and Jackson to step up and be a real teammate.  However, it could easily backfire on us and both of these guys could be looking for new contacts in 2-3 seasons.  Too early to call really.

Yeah, Kelly just played "whose is bigger?" by firing his most obvious face-of-the-franchise playmaker, I can't imagine why anyone in the lockerroom doesn't want to call him out and say anything positive about Desean........... :rolleyes:

Mr. Sinister articulated the "change of scenery" argument beautifully a couple posts up...

So it was not the $12.5MIL cap hit.

Got it.

That was certainly a factor,  but I have to believe that if he was a model teammate, the money wouldn't have been an issue.

yet Vick one of his ex teammates...wanted him to goto the Jets...

I don't know if it helps his case to call Michael Vick to the stand as a character witness.

^  Very well put.  I'd also like to add what are teamates in Philly suppose to say?  "Unbelievable how our front office is so stupid to get rid of a guy like this".  You can't throw Chip under the bus while your still on the team what kind of sense does that make?  Perhaps some in the locker room probably did not like Jackson, but I think some did.  The quietness from the teammates could go both ways.

It would be easy for now former teammates to say something positive about Jackson without antagonizing Chip Kelly. Yet the silence has been deafening.

It seems to me we got Desean at the perfect time.  He has just entered his physical prime AND he has learned humility....perhaps what it means to be a teammate. The fact that WE, rather, our PLAYERS, showed how much we wanted him matters, especially to Desean.  He did not bad mouth the Eagles and took responsibility where due.  He was hurt and realized HE made mistakes.  Through hurt can come enlightenment.  I think, for whatever reasons, the timing and signing of Desean NOW could be ideal.  In fact, I love the way the whole team has come together.  The players pursuit of Desean showed that, and in a way, brought them together.  It's a huge deal in team sports.  The screw has turned. I could not be more excited for a season to begin.  Could we flame?  Of course, but in my opinion, this may be a very special year AND it's just the beginning.  In regards to Desean, better lucky than good; we should have never had a shot., but here we are.  I have a really good feeling about our team.  Now we need just a mince of luck in the draft and we can legitimately contend.  Good times.  HTTR 

It seems to me we got Desean at the perfect time.  He has just entered his physical prime AND he has learned humility....perhaps what it means to be a teammate.  He did not bad mouth the Eagles and took responsibility where due.  He was hurt and realized HE made mistakes.  Through hurt can come enlightenment.

Could you link to quotes or point me to articles where Desean said these things? Not doubting you, but haven't seen them and would like to. It would help me with giving him the benefit of the doubt as I adjust to having him on the team.

Could you link to quotes or point me to articles where Desean said these things? Not doubting you, but haven't seen them and would like to. It would help me with giving him the benefit of the doubt as I adjust to having him on the team.

it was during an interview on the ESPN.

DJax is a diva, like many star players in the league. Reid could handle it and the team gave him a lucrative contract extension.

Kelly was a god at Oregon and had complete control over those young impressionable kids. It's a big change for someone like that to come to the NFL and deal with diva like behavior from grown men, he couldn't handle it and his team is worse off due to it.

Hopefully Gruden, coaching staff and the players can reign Jackson's in a bit and coexist because if they can then it will help immensely. Off to a good start by having the whole organization pursue him in unison.

If you're honest about this, you have to realize that this could end up as:

1. He grows up and works out.

2. He's still an annoying jerk, but his talent is still valuable.

3. He's a locker room cancer that we get sick of quickly.

Don't we have to believe that any of the three could happen?

If you're honest about this, you have to realize that this could end up as:

1. He grows up and works out.

2. He's still an annoying jerk, but his talent is still valuable.

3. He's a locker room cancer that we get sick of quickly.

Don't we have to believe that any of the three could happen?

Not when looking thru burgundy colored glasses.

My Uncle who was very successful once had a senior manager complaining about a low level employee, my Uncle turned to him and asked..Who hired him? Joe did- mid level manager, and He said so who hired Joe? Why I did, my Uncle then said, You mean to tell me I hired the wrong guy? Guy was dumbfounded. Never saw him again, my Uncle continued to be successful. 

This is the first sign that Chip Kelly is over his head, enjoy the ride. If you can't manage your productive players, how you going to get more out of less? 

It would be easy for now former teammates to say something positive about Jackson without antagonizing Chip Kelly. Yet the silence has been deafening.

Believe me man I hear ya, that's why I mentioned the silence could go both ways.  However perhaps some players do not want to talk about the situation at all and are also taking the "high road".  We don't really know what happened behind the scenes or really how anyone is feeling.  Maybe some explayers are reaching out to DJax through texts, ect?  To me the high road on both sides is nobody talking about it.  And I doubt you are going to hear any players talk about it for awhile except for the standard "the organization is doing what's in the best interest of the organization", or the "NFL is a business blah blah blah".

I'm sorry, but any article that says he did this and that but you never hear what the second party said or did to cause or react to it is basically nothing more than a propaganda piece.  Phily's mad now and are trying to save face over this.  I don't care though.  If DeSean wants to prove something, he can do it on the grid iron.

Archived