Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Philly - Desean Jackson Was a Problem for Kelly, Eagles Locker Room

Dan T.

I've never liked the guy since he tanked on the field under Reid bc he was upset with his contract. Putting your team at a disadvantage on the field bc you don't like what you're getting paid is about the lowest of the low for a teammate.

That said, he's a Skin now and I'll be rooting him. I just hope this whole fiasco has given him some perspective.

[that pic is pretty telling. Your friend just won the rushing title and you're standing off by yourself holding your own jersey up?? Jesus..that's weak]

Sounds like DeSean is a dick.

Then why not release him because of these issues? First it was because he's a gangster. then when people started questioning whether that was true, it's because he's a bad team mate. The things said in this article would of been more than enough reason to let him go. Why not just say this? Is Desean a diva? After watching him play all these years it wouldn't surprise me at all. To me Chip and the Eagles look like a bunch of cowards. Maybe Chip is the real diva.

Heh, I never thought about it but, yeah he's been very proffesional not telling his side of the story. It could be a sign of maturity; at least I hope it is?

...or he knows it is all true and has no rebuttal. (Devil's advocate)

Yet Riley Cooper got a contract extension.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

It's simple...Vick (felon and still most hated athlete in sports) and Cooper (got drunk and said the "N" word) followed a prescribed program and didn't make waves. DJax was always a pain in the butt. And as I stated in the Chipadelphia thread, I have up close and personal experience to back it up. The whole "gang" crap is just that, crap. You think that really bothered them? Heck, they signed Vick, who served time in federal prison and was out of football for two years.

Man, there is some serious ignorance being shown here in so many willing to say that ANYTHING negative that comes out is just lies.

If Alfred Morris got cut, there wouldnt be a bad word said about him be unnamed sources or not, and there would be a lot of players publicly blasting the organization.  The silence is deafening, and damning for Jackson.  Just this past offseason there have been players cut, where teammates questioned the organization and expressed their support of the player, while still being respectful.  

Further, to say that its entirely Chip Kellys fault may or may not be true, but would be a bit premature to state that yet.  The idea that a coach can ALWAYS control every player, as long as he does it right, is pure foolishness.  People arent puppets.  You can TRY to influence them, but some just cannot be controlled, no matter who the person is.  Even Bill Bellichick cuts those players loose.

Now, at this point I think three things are obvious: First, that DJax was a really selfish, arrogant, non-team player.  Second, that he has an opportunity to turn that around.  And third, that we dont know which he will become, and it could go anywhere from him helping this team become a playoff team, or tearing this team apart.  One way or the other, next year Bruce Allen will either have job security, or be fired.

Vick May have bad character, but I think he has shown to be a team player. I don't remember him causing a big fuss when he was benched. So when it comes to judging someone as a cancer in the locker room...I think Vick endorsing wanting DJax does speak well for him as a player....maybe not his personal choices but as a player yes....people need to separate player from person....like separating business from personal in our own daily lives.

fair enough. I'll admit to have a blind hate for Vick and although I do agree with what you're saying and you do have a rock solid point, I'm going to allow my near childish level of grudge holding to stand by my original point, even if you are correct.

That said, I know those two were friends, so if the locker room did split away from them when Vick was benched, it would make sense that DJax felt out and became reclusive.

When we start winning, none of this tripe will matter.

I'm cool with this stuff coming out about Jackson in the Eagles locker room. To be honest, it's going to only fuel his fire. He's in a place now with people that really want him there, went all out to get him here. He knows he's going to be comfortable. Have people that want to hang out with him and Not have to worry about people tearing him down.

Chip Kelly really hurt himself with this move IMO, not so much the move but how it unfolded, you always tell a guy even privately why you are parting ways.    Jackson wanted to know why Eagles cut him, Kelly didn’t say

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2014, 7:12 AM EDT
chipkelly3.jpg?w=250AP

When Eagles coach Chip Kelly called DeSean Jackson to tell him he was being cut, Jackson wanted to know why. Kelly didn’t say.

That’s the word from Jackson, who said in his ESPN interview that all Kelly would tell him was, “We’re moving forward. I think it’s best for us and I think it’s best for you.”

Was it Jackson’s work ethic? His $10.5 million salary? His alleged gang ties? Some combination of those three? Jackson said he was hoping Kelly would address that with him, but Kelly didn’t.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/05/jackson-wanted-to-know-why-eagles-cut-him-kelly-didnt-say/

I'm sorry, but any article that says he did this and that but you never hear what the second party said or did to cause or react to it is basically nothing more than a propaganda piece. Phily's mad now and are trying to save face over this. I don't care though. If DeSean wants to prove something, he can do it on the grid iron.

That's the problem I have with this article. It throws in quotes in there at random. Not even stating an anonymous player. This lookslike a poorly done hit piece. If there is truth to any of it, then there should he at least one quote from a player or a player not wanting to comment, thaat will at least show they talked to someone from the oorganization. Hell I could have wrote that article just changed the names in it and use it over over. I cal BS.

Chip Kelly really hurt himself with this move IMO, not so much the move but how it unfolded, you always tell a guy even privately why you are parting ways.    Jackson wanted to know why Eagles cut him, Kelly didn’t say

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2014, 7:12 AM EDT
chipkelly3.jpg?w=250AP

When Eagles coach Chip Kelly called DeSean Jackson to tell him he was being cut, Jackson wanted to know why. Kelly didn’t say.

That’s the word from Jackson, who said in his ESPN interview that all Kelly would tell him was, “We’re moving forward. I think it’s best for us and I think it’s best for you.”

Was it Jackson’s work ethic? His $10.5 million salary? His alleged gang ties? Some combination of those three? Jackson said he was hoping Kelly would address that with him, but Kelly didn’t.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/05/jackson-wanted-to-know-why-eagles-cut-him-kelly-didnt-say/

Exactly, what I've been saying all along that Chip is the big culprit here, and it will show down the line. I almost feel as if his arrogance will get the better of him and have him fired and back to coaching Oregon within 5 years. I'm not saying that DJax did NOTHING wrong, but the way Chip handled it, and the way the team isn't backing ANYTHING up regarding Jackson speaks volumes that either they're afraid of being the odd ball in the locker room, or that Chip is a "my way or the highway" type of guy, who will eventually fail.

I'm taking everything coming out of Philly with a huge pile of salt.

They made a move, it was wildly unpopular, despite the NJ story (which is increasingly looking like a cover), and had to sort of go into damage control.

This kind of stuff is just as likely to be a hack and cover job as it is to be real.

We all know Jackson isn't a saint, he doesn't need to be, but pushing the HC and cussing him out is on a whole different level, and frankly I'd like to see some of it substantiated.

The problem is something like 60% of the national media does love to rip us (and 35% of the remaining is indifferent), so this kind of stuff plays perfectly into the "Redskins are racist, bad people, AND a bad team" narrative that is constantly tossed about.

Eagles are going after a top 10 WR really soon. My source is my neighbors bar owning Buddy in philthy(they are bird fans). He had a convo with someone in the eagles front office and told him,"we are gonna be making a deal for a top 10 WR in the next two weeks".

True story. Just seen it yesterday. Makes sense now why they let him go. Can't afford to pay DJ and whoever they going for. Plus Chip wants big WR, DJ isn't. Hence Chip could not tell DJ or anyone why he just wanted to move on with no other reason on why.

If this is true then 1) I'm a better reporter than anyone in philly. 2) DJ isn't as bad as advertised. 3) Chris Carter will be shown to be right.

Eagles are going after a top 10 WR really soon. My source is my neighbors bar owning Buddy in philthy(they are bird fans). He had a convo with someone in the eagles front office and told him,"we are gonna be making a deal for a top 10 WR in the next two weeks".

True story. Just seen it yesterday. Makes sense now why they let him go. Can't afford to pay DJ and whoever they going for. Plus Chip wants big WR, DJ isn't. Hence Chip could not tell DJ or anyone why he just wanted to move on with no other reason on why.

If this is true then 1) I'm a better reporter than anyone in philly. 2) DJ isn't as bad as advertised. 3) Chris Carter will be shown to be right.

Nah, it's still bird in the hand.  You know Desean can be very effective in your system.  You can only project how this "top 10" guy will do.  May be better and may be worse.  More importantly, if you wanted to switch out for philosophical reasons they still should have A) gotten some value in exchange for getting rid of a probowler because you know this mysterious other team that presently owns a top tenner isn't going to just cut them so Philly can pick him up and B) not tried to institute a smear job upon his exit.

If they do pick up a top ten guy I suspect it is afterthought damage control and it will be expensive in terms of draft pick and probably cap.

You can spin this anyway you like, but the best Redskin teams have always had colorful characters on them. Here are a few.

John Riggins - nothing else needs to be said

Dexter Manley- could not pass a pee test in todays NFL, but colorful

Sean Taylor - started out a bit dirty, but was starting to grow up, wish WE could have seen that

Gary Clark - man that guy wanted to win

Pat Fischer - mean little guy

Wilber Marshall - nasty 

True, non of the above have ever been acused of being a gang banger, but I am sure they have been called dick before by opposing teams or their fans.  Now Desean is our dick, and hopefully, after many long years of success, we can add his name to the list above.

I feel like we've seen how something like this plays out (COUGH Clark COUGH Archuleta)

Some good opinions here....I agree pretty much with what Mr. Sinister has written concerning Djax.

While I have been somewhat impressed with Jackson's demeanor thusfar during interviews.....and I thought there were many opportunities that Stephen A gave him during the interview to jsut go off on the Eagles and Kelly...but he never rose to the bait.  And as Sinister mentioned, I got the same impression that DJ was really taken aback at the comments of former teammates that Stephen A asked about.  I also really do not believe that Kelly....or any coach....would just stand there and let a player cuss them out, especially within the confines of the locker room....without taking some type of immediate disciplinary action. 

I also agree that a great coach needs to be able to manage personalities within the locker room just as much as to know X's and O's. This was a Gibbs strength.  Same with an NBA coach, Phil Jackson.  We will see if Gruden has same awareness and ability to deal with his locker room in a fair manner.....just because he is a players coach does not ensure success there if players are allowed to get away with everything.

The book on Kelly is still out....as is Jackson.  Kelly has just made a huge gamble that could easily backfire on him....and cost him his job...if the Eagles struggle this season, specifically on offense.  Everyone will remember who released Jackson vividly.  For Jackson, this is an opportunity to show he has matured (as he mentioned in the interview)....and that philly made a huge error with his release. 

If we get a hungry, dare say angry, and more mature DJ than we saw in Philly.....then we have indeed gotten a bargain at WR, and think that scoring will not be an issue with our offense this season. 

I dont think we risked that much, its basically a 2 year deal and then we can get out with about a 2mil cap penalty.  When he is on the field it will change how teams have to play us so lets hope it goes well and see what happens.

I feel like we payed below market value for him, if Orakpo is worth 10 mil a year then so is Jackson.

The other thing I like about what I have heard is Jackson has not said anything negative about the Philly organization, players, or coaches.  Maybe he has learned a lesson, we will see.

If and I do mean if this stuff is true then let's hope he has grown and learned from this experience. Sometimes it takes something as drastic as being cut and having your character attacked to make a man grow.

Sounds to me after his dad died he took it real hard and maybe didn't have that strong male influence in his life. When my mom died of pancreatic cancer out of the blue back in 2012 I went into a shell and didn't reall want to associate with anyone for a year because I was devasted and angry and I lashed out at people that didn't deserve it. So maybe he was a loner and didn't make many friends on the Eagles. You could tell that love and acceptance Griffin, DHall and the other people that reached out to him from our organization when he was cut meant a lot to him. Maybe that's all he needs and he will have learned his lesson and have grown from his past experiences. Maybe he just needed people to show a young brother some love and positivity. I hope that's it because if his mind is in the right place he will be a serious weapon for us so they need to figure it out and make this thing work. He has a clean slate here, lets hope he takes advantage.

Archived