Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

The Colts press conference is strange. They're saying things like "we're very excited it's a great great day" but the entire mood is very down. Perhaps because it's late at night, I don't know. Seems like there's an elephant in the room or something else going on,

Yeah, that's crazy. I thought for sure he was out of there. 

Maybe he got the team pregnant and committed out of obligation, cause there sure doesn't seem like there's any love there. :P

The NFCE is ours for the foreseeable future.

Giants and the Eagles keep their Vinny over their coaches and skeletor still believes that all that "talent" is going to win with him and his sockpuppet Jason Garrett.

Not necessarily.  Looking at it right now, unless Romo is 100% all year next year, you would expect the division to be the Skins again.  But after that year, it's impossible to make predictions.  As long as the Giants have Eli, they have a chance to be very good.  The skins are going to have to PAY Cousins, which is going to make for tough choices elsewhere.

Has any NFCE team repeated in the past 5-6 years?

Coughlin walked right past Mara without acknowledging him after his departing press conference.  Looks like he was pushed out then, which I figured.  Retiring/resigning lets Coughlin save face.

http://dailysnark.com/tom-coughlin-gives-giants-ceo-john-mara-cold-shoulder-leaving-press-conference/

Watching that video really does say something.  Good for him to not acknowledge that POS.

• Like 1

Yea, that puts a little stain on Mara's mystique of being such a great person.  

Clearly the coach that is on his way out doesn't buy in to the BS the giants have been selling.

I watched that live and I wasn't sure if I just missed the handshake but it sounds like it definitely didn't happen lol.

I couldn't be happier that they got rid of Coughlin and kept Reese.  Coughlin is a hall of fame coach, IMO.  Reese is not that good at his job.  It's a great scenario for us--the Giants will be in disarray for years and will soon need a brand new QB.

As long as the Giants have Eli, they have a chance to be very good.

Eli sucks, always has but when your defense holds Tom Brady to 14 how many 1/2 way decent Qbs lose?

IMO the Giants are going to become the new Redskins of the NFCE if the Eagles don't beat them to it.

Eli sucks, always has but when your defense holds Tom Brady to 14 how many 1/2 way decent Qbs lose?

IMO the Giants are going to become the new Redskins of the NFCE if the Eagles don't beat them to it.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  IMHO, Eli's the best QB in the NFCE, and top-3 or 4 in the NFC overall (behind Rodgers, Brees and maybe Wilson?).  I'd put Palmer above him but he's done nothing in the playoffs, granted not all his fault.  If Cousins continues on his trajectory he would pass him, but postseason is where the QBs earn their $$.

Tom Coughlin is the only coach who makes me nervous, similar to the way my one high school football coach could make me wilt by just looking at me.  I watched his news conference and the intensity in his eyes, even at his age, is amazing.  I feel like I should have dropped and "gave him 20".

• Like 1

I'm really glad things worked out this year, since with all the firings, I'd hate to be in the market this year. Top coaching talent is going to be swallowed up fast and viciously. It makes for likely instability if you find yourself on the outside looking in, and there's certainly no guarantee those inside will fare much better.

Coughlin isn't a bad guy, and is a very good coach. Wish he hadn't been stuck with the Giants so I could like him more.

Garrett doesn't scare me at this point, so he can stay. He's been exposed as an average coach reliant on his QB. That's not really a knock, probably 90% of coaches are like that, but he needs Romo. Romo is that team. The next coach could roll in and be 12-4 with a healthy Romo, or he could hurt his back, and they'd be 4-12 again. Absent a truly exceptional coaching talent, their coaches and pretty much functionally interchangeable. Let Garrett stay, or kick him out, things are probably not changing. Heck, even of the random Sean Payton rumors happened, it wouldn't help much. Brees is Payton, as was that bounty defense. That isn't to say Payton is bad, but he isn't going to raise Dallas up suddenly.

• Like 1

Coughlin stepping down was pretty tough to see. I may hate the Giants ownership for their BS deal with the salary cap but I admire their coach. Wow. Great message. Great achievements.

He went out like a champion though and snubbed the Mara handshake on his way out.

*just noticed the video is here too above. Excellent.

Edited by Zazzaro703
  • Like 1