Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Wow can't believe lovie got fired, I feel the same way about his as I did theoretically Jay this year if he were to have gotten fired with anything 6-10 or better - as in, hasty and too quick to overall judgement with such a terrible roster starting off with.  During our year of hiring a coach, lovie was always the top of the "retread" list for me because his Bears regime felt very similar to Coughlins Jags or Fox's Panthers.  Long tenures of overall consistency which ended once a short streak of missing playoffs started happening.

They will supposedly give some details as to why tomorrow, but I have a feeling it will just be business speak. 

They lost 4 in a row down the stretch which maybe played into it, but that division was decided long before that so not sure what they were expecting.  Although, the 3 opponents prior to the Panthers probably all felt like winnable games in NO, STL, and CHI.

If W/L was part of their decision (and I hope it was something legitimate), I think our win against them was probably a loss they had circled as a factor, that would have been a huge letdown to lose like that.  

I'm glad Payton is being retained by the Saints. At least that's one decent coach not on the market for the Giants and Eagles to take a look at. 

I'm also glad that Reece is doing the hiring for NY and Lurie is going to have to find a GM before he finds a coach (assuming he doesn't do his hirings in the Cerrato order).

I'll be really interested to see how all these teams do finding new coaches. We're at, what, 7 coachless teams now? (Miami, Titans, Browns, Bucs, Eagles, Giants, 49ers).

The really crazy part is that I think most of those organizations are dysfunctional. Certainly the 49ers, Titans, Browns, and Bucs. Someone could go to Miami, Eagles, or Giants and assume they'll have a fair shake, but the Giants and Dolphins GMs aren't great and the Eagles don't have a GM.

Not sure where I'd rather be if I were a coach deciding on a team right now.

Edited by jflow78
  • Like 1

They just screwed themselves. It's never a good sign when there's a coaching/system change with a young QB at the helm.

Reading the tea leaves, I think they did it to prevent losing the offensive system and OC.  Dirk Koetter was going to get interviewed for HC in Miami and probably other spots.  Losing Lovie is not as bad for Jameis as losing Cutter would be.  

They would have to interview a minority before making the announcement, but that's how I see it.

Most of this comes from NFL Network's Rapoport, except the waiting to interview minority part.

Edited by Aireskoi

As others have said the firing of Lovie is really strange.  I wanted him over Jay when we were coach shopping.  I think this makes Tampa look dysfunctional.  As someone said above, what team out there would be attractive to a head coach.  Miami looks okay but their cap situation and roster need help.  Same with the Giants.  Though I suppose a good team isn't going to be in need of a coach very often.  All the other teams are train wrecks.  Mostly the Browns.  They remind me of the Skins organization of the past. 

A friend of mine is a huge 49ers fan.  He is praying they get Lovie.  But the way the 49ers have been running things lately, I don't think I would even want to step through the door there.

Complete speculation on my part but anyone think Winston and Smith didn't get along or maybe Winston didn't care for him that much? I can't see why else they would get rid of him. Tampa looked pretty good this year all things considered. Hell, 6 wins was the high water mark for me as a Redskins fan before Kirk decided to go all world.

Never got all the love for Lovie (see what I did there?). He's not a bad coach, but to me he was very average. He reminds me of Norv Turner or Steve Spagnolo in that he makes a much better coordinator than head coach.

Glad Payton stayed in NO. I was afraid he'd go to Philly or the Giants.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 2

Not sure where I'd rather be if I were a coach deciding on a team right now.

I would imagine prospective coaches are making their decisions on two things:  1) is there a solid front office (GM/Personnel scouting) that "I" can work with, and 2) does the team have either a franchise QB or the ability to go get one (top 1-5 pick).  So, if I had to rank them based on my crappy front office ranking, I'd say (in this order):  Giants, Dolphins, Titans, Eagles, 49ers, Bucs  ..................... and Browns.

It is mind-boggling to me how owners can't "get it".  EVERYONE in the world sees that it is fairly "simple" process for the owner:

1) Hire a competent GM that at least has experience working for a functional front office and has a vision of how to build a team.

2) Ensure GM stocks his PP team with talent.

3) Have the GM perform a coaching search that meshes with his vision.

4) Hire coaching staff for 4 years minimum.

5) Go to Carribean a lot & drink beer in the owners box during games for four years (you're making money no matter what!).

6) After(!!!!) 4 years, reevaluate. 

Invest the Vanguard way.  Stability normally = success (unless you don't get a franchise QB).  Churn in the NFL is rarely good, and definitely not for long-term success.

Never got all the love for Lovie (see what I did there?). He's not a bad coach, but to me he was very average. He reminds me of Norv Turner or Steve Spagnolo in that he makes a much better coordinator than head coach.

Glad Payton stayed in NO. I was afraid he'd go to Philly or the Giants.

He went to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as his QB...I think he should be first ballot HOF!

• Like 1

smoke-ur1336.jpg

Tampa Bay FO  might be heavily influenced by potent hApPy SmOkE. 

So most of us, 'Skins fans with reasonable objectivity and no dog in the fight with respect to Tampa's internal affairs, have the same 'WTF?' reaction to the Lovie firing.   I think that's kind of telling in itself.

velocet

Rumors are that the Bucs want their OC Dirk Koetter to be their HC to prevent him from being a HC somewhere else.

What a mess....

Hmm wasn't that their reasoning for hiring Raheem Morris a few years ago?  He was considered another Tomlin and they were afraid he would leave to be a HC so they pulled the trigger and promoted him after firing Gruden.  Didn't work out so well.  

I agree. I've never really been that impressed with the guy. He had good personnel in Chicago and they made it to one SB where they had a major meltdown and never got close again, from what I remember.

He had 5 winning seasons out of 9 in Chicago. The guy did fine, but it's not like he's John Madden or anything. I'm not worried if he comes to the Giants or Eagles. Neither team has the type of personnel Chicago had while Lovie was there.

Edited by jflow78

Jon Gruden to Philly to be their head coach?

Heard it on seriusxm and they said the only roadblock would be Roseman, their version of Vinny.

I'd think the roadblock would be his brother coaching a division rival.

Yeah, at this point he's not going to want to leave ESPN MNF for coaching, much less to coach against his brother.

• Like 1

Jason Licht is not GM material; it's simply amateur hour down in Tampa. He couldn't stand to have an experienced coach sharing power and decision-making with him. He'll want to hire someone who's grateful to have a job and who wouldn't be given a HC opportunity elsewhere. It's what he needs. Let's see what kind of tune he's humming after two seasons under the new coach. Will the new coach be fired if he has won only 8 games after 2 seasons -- no. Man, some of these teams need to stop hiring the paperboy to be GM.

I'm not saying that Lovie was an infallible coach. But you don't can the dude after only 2 seasons, especially when he had virtually nothing to work with, talent-wise, when he arrived. It's clear that Licht and the owners already know whom they're going to hire. You don't fire your coach like this unless you already have the replacement ready to take over. Anything between now and the announcement is nothing more than going through the motions. Sad.

• Like 2

Yeah, at this point he's not going to want to leave ESPN MNF for coaching, much less to coach against his brother.

Agreed. Ridiculous rumor. There's no way Gruden is going to go to the Giants or Eagles and play his brother twice a year.

Not even the Harbaughs were that ruthless.

Edited by jflow78