Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Yay! We're no longer the most dysfunctional organization out there!!

The Phins really have had a lot of big free agent signings blow up in their face, haven't they?  Mike Wallace barely lasted two years, Cortland Finnegan lasted one year, Brandon Marshall lasted two years, and now Suh has looked underwhelming (given his contract) down there in Miami.  It's good not to be the Offseason Champs for a change. 

• Like 2

It's hard to believe that so many in the sports media during the Summer were not only picking the Dolphins to be contenders, but would seriously challenge the Patriots for the AFC East.

Does that seem like a long time ago now.

was the same media that predicted our team to win 1-2 games in 2015. 

• Like 1

Per ESPN:

"According to multiple reports, there was tension between quarterback Ryan Tannehill and the team's defense on Saturday during the team's walk-through in London. Tannehill, upset that his passes were intercepted by players on the scout team, said, "enjoy your practice squad paychecks," according to the reports.

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, following an altercation that prompted the team's defensive players to go even harder after Tannehill, they were advised to no longer practice full speed and in protest stopped practicing completely when the quarterback took his snaps."

Sounds ugly. And slightly dickish by Tannehill.

Ugly indeed.  But not slightly dickish by Tanny.  Very dickish.  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tom-brady-rewards-practice-players-for-ints/ar-AAfaRf0?li=BBieTUX

That report had Pro Football Hall of Fame tight end Shannon Sharpe calling out Tannehill:

Tannehill if those guys are picking you off. Imagine what's going to happen . When you play experienced dbs. Guppy problems.

Following up on Sharpe's tweet, Stallworth—a Patriots receiver in 2007 and 2012—revealed that Brady is pretty much the opposite of Tannehill:

Donté Stallworth 

Brady actually paid practice squad and look team guys if they picked him off in practice. http://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/651374235311558657 

Ugly indeed.  But not slightly dickish by Tanny.  Very dickish.  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tom-brady-rewards-practice-players-for-ints/ar-AAfaRf0?li=BBieTUX

I believe this Tannehill thing has been taken out of context. The reason Tannehill was pissed is because the picks happened during the Sat. walk through. The Def is not supposed to make any picks or tackles. The purpose of the walk through is just that, walk through the plays to make everyone is on the same page.

Having said that, there must be a reason the PS players were doing what they were doing. But Tanny being pissed is kind of understandable. I would like to know the whole story. There is a lot I think they are leaving out. Like how it got to this point.

I believe this Tannehill thing has been taken out of context. The reason Tannehill was pissed is because the picks happened during the Sat. walk through. The Def is not supposed to make any picks or tackles. The purpose of the walk through is just that, walk through the plays to make everyone is on the same page.

Having said that, there must be a reason the PS players were doing what they were doing. But Tanny being pissed is kind of understandable. I would like to know the whole story. There is a lot I think they are leaving out. Like how it got to this point.

Even if him being pissed is understandable, he still handled it poorly and did not show good leadership Edited by Bliz

It's hard to believe that so many in the sports media during the Summer were not only picking the Dolphins to be contenders, but would seriously challenge the Patriots for the AFC East.

Does that seem like a long time ago now.

What really deserves mention, again, is how any time during our recent history we've signed Free Agents, there is a quick "dumb Redskins, they're too moronic to realize signing players doesn't work" line from the media. But the Dolphins are umpteenth example of a different team going on a big spending spree and the same media collectively saying "brilliant!"

• Like 2

I figured that krappernick would've gotten Tomsula on the list but there is time.

Doubt Tomsula gets fired this year, this collapse was obvious and inevitable. They didn't hire him to win, they hired him to shepherd this tank job rebuild. He's like the firemen that orchestrate the planned forest fires, making sure it goes in the right direction until the team is ready to be on the upswing again. He was a cheap in-house option that the players will like playing for even when they're losing, no way he can be held responsible for that **** show, one that he's arguably not even qualified to oversee.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Hot Seat 2015- Week 6

Fired - Joe Philbin.

1. Chuck Pagano at 3-3.  He's dead man walking. Baring a superbowl appearance; his contract will not be renewed. After Thursday game. he's on his way out.

2. Jay Gruden at 2-4.  He's back on the list. He loses on Sunday; possible chance he is the next coach fired.

3.  Jim Caldwell at 1-5.  The win isn't going to save his job.

4.  Gus Bradley at 1-5.  It's time for a change in Jacksonville.

5.  Mike Pettine at 2-4. He could be done after 2 seasons also, never know with their owner.

6.  Sean Payton at 2-4.  It really hasn't been the same since bountygate.

7.  Love Smith at 2-3. The Bucs aren't good. The owners may want someone else to develop Winston.

8.  Ken Whisenhut at 1-4.  The owners may want someelse to develop Mariota.

9.  Jeff Fisher at 2-3.  No playoffs and he's probably gone.

10.  Tom Coughlin at 3-3.  A non-playoff season seals Tom fate- retirement.

Jay returns to the list and Chip Kelly drops out.  Added Ken Whisenhut.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Jay returns to the list and Chip Kelly drops out.  Added Ken Whisenhut.

Meh, I think Chip is still in deep water. Yes, he surfaced to take another breath, but if he loses some more, it'll be still be a bad start after putting the team through the wood chipper over the offseason.

Edited by NickyJ

Meh, I think Chip is still in deep water. Yes, he surfaced to take another breath, but if he loses some more, it'll be still be a bad start after putting the team through the wood chipper over the offseason.

He could always return.  Maybe he decides that USC job is a better option for him.

I think there will be more changes this year, than we may have thought going into 2015.

I don't get the people that think Jay will be gone during the season, especially this early in the season.  I don't think our GM is that stupid.  He is going to give Jay the rope and see what he has done with it come January.  I also think the only way Jay gets replaced during the next offseason is if Scott finds a QB he can get that he thinks can be our QB of the future.  He won't sell the farm for one he isn't sure on.  And he will consider bringing Jay back with a "gap filler" QB if he doesn't see one he can get for a good price this off season.  He will build talent at other positions this off season and wait on a QB he likes.  Our head coach replacement will be at the same time that Scott gets the QB he believes in.  And Scott won't rush it. 

• Like 1

That would be insane.  Is this just speculation by you, or do you have any evidence the Snyder or the GM are actively thinking this way? 

Of course it's complete speculation, and any "evidence" he could try to produce would just be other media outlets speculating as well.  People keep thinking that this is Dan Snyder circa 2000, when he fired Norv in season (the only coach he ever fired in season by the way, and Norv deserved to go, but the timing was bad).  One decision over 15 years and people want to act like that is his MO.  The truth is, Snyder has shown more patience with coaches than the media and the fan base that bash Snyder for being meddling and having a quick trigger.  It's completely hypocritical.  

The only mistake Snyder has made when letting a coach go was Marty, but Snyder didn't want to let him go, he just wanted Marty to give up some of his power.  Marty said no, so they parted ways.  He did not fire Spurrier; Ball Coach quit.  He did not fire Gibbs, Joe retired again.  Is anyone going to blame him for firing Zorn?  Shanny?  The truth is that Snyder is no where near the meddling owner and quick fire guy that many portray him to be.  You want to talk about how he has run the front office and who he has hired as coaches, sure, that's fair game.  But, this whole idea that Snyder just cans people left and right and does so without giving them a chance is disingenuous at best.

As far as Jay is concerned, I think that both the GM and the coach knew going in that this was going to be a growing pains kind of year.  With all the injuries, I think it has been worse than they initially thought.  I think Jay has that working in his favor.  I'm not of fan of his, nor was I a fan of his hiring.  I don't think Jay is a good coach, and he definitely doesn't fit here.  But, he's not getting canned.

Edited by Taylor 36
  • Like 5

The Hot Seat 2015- Week 7

Fired - Joe Philbin.

1. Chuck Pagano at 3-4.  Even if the Colts win the division, he's dead man walking.

2.  Jim Caldwell at 1-6.  He's on his way out.

3.  Mike Pettine at 2-5. Browns are no better.  Bye, Bye Mike.

4.  Bill O'Brien at 2-5. He has failed with the Texans.

5.  Gus Bradley at 2-5.  Still think he will be gone after season.

6.  Ken Whisenhut at 1-5.  The owners may want someone else to develop Mariota.

7.  Love Smith at 2-4. The Bucs aren't good. The owners may want someone else to develop Winston.

8. Jay Gruden at 3-4.  Unlike the last comeback win, Jay remains on the list. He drops down. He's still on the hot seat, but a much cooler hot seat this week.

9.  Mike Mccoy at 2-5. With a good chance the Chargers will be in L.A. soon; I could see the owners wanting a clean slate.

10.  Tom Coughlin at 4-3. I don't think Tom will be fired but if he  misses the playoffs; there will be forced retirement.

Sean Payton & Jeff Fisher drops out this week. Added Bill O'Brien and Mike Mccoy..You know, there's a strong chance; the entire AFC South will have new coaches in 2016.  2016 is starting to look like a high turnover year.

Edited by Rdskns2000

The Hot Seat 2015- Week 8

Fired - Joe Philbin

Fired - Ken Whisenhut

1. Chuck Pagano at 3-5.  Even if the Colts win the division, he's dead man walking.

2.  Jim Caldwell at 1-7.  He's on his way out.

3.  Mike Pettine at 2-6. Browns are no better.  Bye, Bye Mike.

4.  Gus Bradley at 2-5.  Still think he will be gone after season.

5.  Bill O'Brien at 3-5. Hot seat cooling a little this week..

6.  Jim Tomsula at 2-6.  Will York admit his mistake and clean house & get a real coach?

7.  Love Smith at 3-4. Hot seat is cooling a little, maybe some life in there?

8. Jay Gruden at 3-4.  Cooled off for now but next 3-4 weeks could be brutal and Jay could move up on the Hot Seat.

9.  Mike Mccoy at 2-6. With a good chance the Chargers will be in L.A. soon; I could see the owners wanting a clean slate.

10.  Tom Coughlin at 4-4. I don't think Tom will be fired but if he  misses the playoffs; there will be a forced retirement.

Added Jim Tomsula this week.  2016 is starting to look like a high turnover year.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Not a great year to need a new coaching staff...there are going to be tons of openings, and a bunch of those teams have young potential franchise QB's already in place, which I imagine is a very desirable box to be able to check for potential candidates.