Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

The first post of 2015.  Yes, the hot seat for 2015 is already warming up; after 3 weeks.

I am very happy to finally not see a Raiders HC on this list. Imo their fanbase has been very devoted without the team giving them reason for such loyalty.

Granted, the HC is usually the first victim of the GM's mistakes, so Del Rio might just be a benefactor of better talent acquisitions in recent history - most notably One Man Gang ;)

Firing coaches after two years is dumb imo. You barely get time to implement anything you want, or mold your roster. You will never get anywhere with that philosophy. Especially when your are taking over a garbage fire like Chicago or Washington.

I tend to agree, but there are always special cases. Like if its painfully obvious that Coach X is not geeting the best out of his players, or there are scheme issues, or the team has tuned him out.

Sometimes its just better to cut bait quickly, rather than let things fester

i think if the giants have another losing season, tom coughlin will just end up retiring instead of getting fired. he would probably know its time to hang it up instead of coaching next season.

No way ole Tom is ever fired, at least not in public.  Behind closed doors it may be a firing but it will be announced as a retiring/resigning.

Dan Snyder 

1.  Norv Turner (Was in his 6th year when Dan bought the team) -  1 year, 13 games

2.  Marty Shottenheimer - 1 year

3.  Steve Spurrier - 2 years

4.  Joe Gibbs - 4 years

5.  Jim Zorn - 2 years

6.  Mike Shannahan - 4 years

7.  Jay Gruden ( is in his 4th game of second year) -  ???

Following historical patterns of one Dan Snyder, Gruden is going to need really do well to be allowed a 3rd season.

I don't think the odds favor him.  His QB choice: Kirk Cousins is showing he's nothing more than a backup. A backup with a severe case of interceptionitus.  His alternatives are a primma donna QB, who's so bad; he got benched in preseason. A journeyman QB,at best, Colt.    Also, he is teetering on the line from either being just mediocre (7-8 wins) to have this unravel completely. He's not a coach that inspires one to believe he could stop a slide.    Also, he has a new boss; who owes him nothing.  Scott would like to sink or swim with someone of his own choosing.

I don't have any faith in Gruden to change his impending demise.

Firing coaches after two years is dumb imo. You barely get time to implement anything you want, or mold your roster. You will never get anywhere with that philosophy. Especially when your are taking over a garbage fire like Chicago or Washington.

Kind of disagree. It's one thing if a coach has shown you something, but if not, two years is certainly enough time for a guy to show you he's not doing anything.

The Jags kept Bradley for a third year in spite of their record because they liked how hard the team played and knew the record was due to the lack of talent. That's fine. But if we don't see anything from Gruden this year, you're gonna keep him around, just because? If he doesn't show me a lot more than what he has so far, it's time to move on.

Kind of disagree. It's one thing if a coach has shown you something, but if not, two years is certainly enough time for a guy to show you he's not doing anything.

The Jags kept Bradley for a third year in spite of their record because they liked how hard the team played and knew the record was due to the lack of talent. That's fine. But if we don't see anything from Gruden this year, you're gonna keep him around, just because? If he doesn't show me a lot more than what he has so far, it's time to move on.

Gruden is legitimately in a tough spot.  He was hired to coach Griffin, which it appears wasn't a great fit. (Not going to get into that again.)  Then he's got to make it work with one of the other QBs, Kirk or Colt, and neither of them are world beaters.  

He inherited an awful, awful Special Teams unit.  The worst in the history of the NFL.  

He inherited an awful defense and defensive coordinator, even though I'm not sure that he could see that due to personal relationships.

He also had his first year marred by having a GM who's not a GM.

So, the situation he was in was like putting a hood over the guy's head and dropping him down a very dark hole and then setting a bunch of fire ants at him.

That said, up to this point he hasn't really shown that he's up to the challenge.  When you get hired as a HC, you're almost always in a terrible position.  Because the reason that the team is switching coaches is because the team is awful.  And you've got to navigate that, and turn things around.  It's possible.  It happens all the time. 

So, I dunno.  He walked into about the most dysfunctional situation possible.  But he hasn't made it any better.  Is that on him? 

It's a tough call...

The Hot Seat 2015- Week 4

1. Joe Philbin, at 1-3.  Joe could be fired by Tuesday and be the first coaching casuality..

2.  Gus Bradley, at 1-3.  Third season, doesn't really look much better.  Mr. Khan will probably be making a change after this year.

3.  Jim Caldwell, 0-3.  Will be 0-4 after tonight. Could he fired after only 2 seasons?  Yes, he can.

4.  Mike Pettine, 1-3. He could be done after 2 seasons also, never know with their owner.

5.  Sean Payton, 1-3.  It really hasn't been the same since bountygate.  I don't know if he's really on the hot seat but it could be time for Sean to move on from New Orleans.

6.  Love Smith, 1-3. The Bucs aren't good. The owners may want someone else to develop Winston.

7.  Chip Kelly, 1-3. He won the power struggles. His moves are backfiring.  Could be returning to college soon.

8.  Chuck Pagano, 2-2.  Only a superbowl appearance will get him a new contract but he moves down the list for now.

9.  Jeff Fisher, 2-2.  He moves down but no playoffs and he's probably gone.

10.  Tom Coughlin, 2-2.  Giants are tied with us but wins tiebreaker since they beat us. Still, a non-playoff season seals Tom fate.

So, those are the coaches who are on the hot seat. The more they lose, the hotter that seat gets.  For week 4, Jay Gruden dropped off.  Skins season feels like a .500, which will get Jay a third year.  I did add Chip Kelly & Lovie Smith.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Per ESPN:

"According to multiple reports, there was tension between quarterback Ryan Tannehill and the team's defense on Saturday during the team's walk-through in London. Tannehill, upset that his passes were intercepted by players on the scout team, said, "enjoy your practice squad paychecks," according to the reports.

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, following an altercation that prompted the team's defensive players to go even harder after Tannehill, they were advised to no longer practice full speed and in protest stopped practicing completely when the quarterback took his snaps."

Sounds ugly. And slightly dickish by Tannehill.

Per ESPN:

"According to multiple reports, there was tension between quarterback Ryan Tannehill and the team's defense on Saturday during the team's walk-through in London. Tannehill, upset that his passes were intercepted by players on the scout team, said, "enjoy your practice squad paychecks," according to the reports.

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, following an altercation that prompted the team's defensive players to go even harder after Tannehill, they were advised to no longer practice full speed and in protest stopped practicing completely when the quarterback took his snaps."

My how the mighty have fallen in a few weeks!!

Edited by DeMarco Murray 29

Who is next?  By winning Sunday, Gruden saved his butt for a while anyway.

Gruden will not (and should not) be fired in-season.  Honestly, no coach really should be fired in season.  Norv shouldn't have been fired in season.  It rarely work at all.

The Dolphins should have fired Philbin after last season.  They didn't.  That was a mistake.

Yay! We're no longer the most dysfunctional organization out there!!

We're not.  I'd actually say that we're not really dysfunctional at the moment at all.  Scot runs player-personnel, Gruden coaches the team, Allen wins off the field, and Dan drinks scotch.

If there wasn't the whole "Dan meddles" story line for the past 20 years, this off-season would have been pretty normal, even with the benching of an ineffective QB.  

• Like 3

--------------------

btw, interesting factoid: The Lions are the only winless team.  They've lost to the Chargers, Minnesota and Denver, with Seattle up tonight.

I could see Caldwell being released if they completely tank.

I could see Cleveland making a change, but honestly, what good what it do?

Houston is tanking.  But I'm not sure they make a change yet, given that they have no QB, or really any talent on offense.  They essentially have 1 good player.  

The Jags are playing tough, they're getting better, so even with a bad record, I don't think a change will happen there.

Tampa isn't going to fire Lovie, and the Saints aren't going to fire Sean Payton. 

Chip Kelly is going to quit.

I'm not sure who's going to get fired, but it might be a smaller number this year.  

Per ESPN:

Yikes. Dude's got some issues if that's true. The QB should be encouraging his team to play better, not be bitter when they make a play because it was against him.

• Like 2

That's the worst part of this... Really should be 3-1 now.

Agreed--that was a game we should have had.  Chalk it up to a growth experience.  I'm pretty pleased with 2-2, although I wanted to see much more of an effort against the Giants.  If we kickstart them to another super bowl after their most recent 0-2 start, I will be livid.