Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Tomsula gone in SF. He's not a good coach but its not like the 49ers had talent. Its funny to me how often teams scapegoat coaches when they have crappy rosters.

Going 5-11 with the likes of Kaepernick and Gabbert at QB is respectable to be honest.

With the massive turnover they had, crappy QBs and that division, yeah it was definitely respectable. He was always just a stopgap tho, poor dude and his farts Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

No one else is currently reporting it, and the Browns haven't even announced the firing of Pettine. That wold be completely messed up to announce a hiring before a firing.

Especially since they have to interview a minority for the job before hiring someone. It wouldn't be the first time, but they could have league intervention (fine or something) coming to them if this is true.

Not that I really care. It's the Browns. Vince Lombardi couldn't get them to win consistently. I actually looked at every team since we won the SB and the Browns and, I think, Lions had the lowest winning percentages by a lot. I can't remember exactly, but they were awful. Considering how futile we've been, we weren't even close to their level of suck.

• Like 1

Granted, I'm taking two pieces of unsupported speculation and stringing them together, but.

Saw a comment that maybe AlMo winds up wherever Shanny goes. Granted, I'm an idiot, but it sounds logical, to me.

AND I saw a report that Shanny has expressed interest in the opening in Philly. And again, I'm an idiot, but my impression is that Philly has a pretty fast roster, which Shanny's system knows how to produce with.

I could see those things actually being matchups.

...Philly has a pretty fast roster....

I don't think they do. Not all the way around anyway. I think they've got some speedy RBs and one fast WR (Josh Huff, maybe there's another I'm forgetting), but other than that, I don't think they have much.

If Shanny is headed to Philly, then I also can't see him getting another RB to go with the 3 they already have. That's a pretty solid group and there's a lot of money spent on RB already (Mathews, Murray, Sproles). 

I wouldn't really be bothered if he went there, he'd likely want GM power and that would save us...also, Mark Sanchez (terrible) and Sam Bradford (a mostly healthy season this year, probably will keel over next year)....

Edited by jflow78

Yeah, granted, when I watch us playing Philly (the only time I watch Philly), I'm often struck by how fast they seem. But I'm usually looking at their pass D, when I'm thinking that.

Just the impression of a really casual observer.  In my mind (and possibly nowhere else), "Philly" is associated with "fast"   (And "hyped".  To me, they always seems to be really pumped up.) 

• Like 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000616825/article/saints-want-secondround-pick-for-sean-payton

Saints would seek second-round pick for Sean Payton

Would you like Saints head coach Sean Payton to be your head coach in 2016? All it would take is a new contract and a second-round draft pick.

The pick, reported by NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport Monday, is the sticking point here. The Saints are obviously listening and could part ways with their Super Bowl-winning coach for the right price.

FOX Sports first noted that the Saints could be seeking a second-rounder for Payton.

Although some teams might scoff at losing a high draft choice, others could view it the same way head coaches do when former top-five picks become available in free agency. Sometimes, these players are worth the treasure trove of money simply because good players don't come around very often.

Payton's star rose rapidly in New Orleans and resulted in one Super Bowl title, but only recently dimmed thanks to massive salary-cap issues and a defense that has criminally underperformed. Drew Brees has not been healthy and his massive contract has prevented the team from adding depth across the board.

All of this, coupled with the fact that Payton has been in black and gold for the last 10 years, could prove to be motivation for a mutual departure.

Teams like Eagles, Giants and 49ers would be wise to at least check in on the matter. Payton would ease some of the risk that comes with a first-time head coach and could install a successful offense right away. They just have to decide if easing a risk is worth a potential star in the second round.

Edited by visionary

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000617019/article/chargers-keep-mike-mccoy-as-head-coach

Chargers keep Mike McCoy as head coach

The San Diego Chargers are one of the few losing teams that will not be pushing the panic button this offseason.

Per NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, the team will not fire head coach Mike McCoy. The news was first reported by the San Diego Union Tribune.

John Spanos, the team's president of football operations, issued a statement on Monday afternoon seeming to confirm the news, and reiterate his confidence in both McCoy and general manager Tom Telesco.

"As the 2015 season has now concluded, we are disappointed with the outcome as our expectations have not been met," Spanos said in the statement. "I have the utmost confidence in our leadership. Tom Telesco, Mike McCoy and I have already begun evaluating every aspect of the team to take the essential steps to put a winning product back on the field. We will waste no time in making the necessary changes.

"Throughout a trying season, our players never wavered in their dedication or commitment to the team. I firmly believe the decisions made today and moving forward will get us back on track in 2016. Thank you for your unwavering support and passion."

McCoy went 9-7 in each of his first two years with the Chargers before a 4-12 campaign in 2015. The last-place finish was tough to stomach for an organization that does not know where it will be playing football a year from now. At least they can now take solace in knowing that Philip Rivers will be under center and McCoy will be on the sidelines.

The warm feelings will probably not last in San Diego for long. Per Rapoport, the concession to keep McCoy will likely mean that staff changes are on the way. Rapoport mentioned defensive coordinator John Pagano, brother of Indianapolis head coach Chuck, as one of the potential changes.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Tom Coughlin has informed his coaching staff that the Giants are making a head coaching change, source tells ESPN.
2:13 PM

Tom Coughlin Resigns as Giants' Head Coach

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14502429/tom-coughlin-new-york-giants-coach

After 12 years and two Super Bowl titles, Tom Coughlin is no longer the coach of the New York Giants.

Coughlin resigned after meeting with Giants ownership Monday, one day after New York completed its third consecutive losing season. Coughlin coached the Giants for 12 seasons, leading them to two Super Bowl championships.

Wow--kind of shocked by the Coughlin resignation, since I'm sure it was essentially a sword of Damacleus like scenario, where they essentially said you can resign or we can fire you.  The person who deserves the heat is the GM, Reese.  Massive parts of that team (secondary, LB, ST, offensive line, RB) have been neglected for years.

Coughlin is an absolutely top notch coach.  

• Like 1

Coach Wanted

Dolphins

Titans

Eagles

Browns

49ers

Giants

Coach Hired

x

Still waiting for official news Pagano won't be back. Looks like Mike Mccoy, joins Gus Bradley in retaining his job. Both coaches will be on the hot seat for 2016.  Will Jim Caldwell join them or be fired?  Who trades for Sean Payton & if that happens; then who becomes the Saints new coach?

Wow--kind of shocked by the Coughlin resignation, since I'm sure it was essentially a sword of Damacleus like scenario, where they essentially said you can resign or we can fire you.  The person who deserves the heat is the GM, Reese.  Massive parts of that team (secondary, LB, ST, offensive line, RB) have been neglected for years.

When Andy Reid IV leads Philadelphia Eagles to their first SB, he will have a job for life.  Much less two!

Coughlin is a great coach and I've sort of viewed him as the glue holding an aging Giants squad together the past few years. Curious who they bring in to go down with that sinking ship.

They have Eli & Odell....better than most rebuilding teams.

When Andy Reid IV leads Philadelphia Eagles to their first SB, he will have a job for life.  Much less two!

Aren't all his kids in jail??  I know, that's in poor taste, but your point is well taken.  This is a coach who took two wild card teams to the Super Bowl and won as a heavy underdog both times.  Any other coach would have a statute outside the stadium. 

Overall, that's certainly a fair assessment. But hit year, he cost his team I believe 3 games with just mind-glowingly idiotic clock management decisions. 

I can't cry a lot of tears for coach getting fired after going 19-29 the last 3 years, 4 years without the playoffs and the comedy of errors he put forth this year. Though reese should really be going bye-bye with him.

• Like 1

...Just the impression of a really casual observer.  In my mind (and possibly nowhere else), "Philly" is associated with "fast"   (And "hyped".  To me, they always seems to be really pumped up.) 

Well, if McCoy and DJax were still there, you'd be right. Andy Reid seemed to have some pretty fast dudes. It was actually a perfect team for Kelly to fall into because of all the speed on it. Then he became GM and began getting rid of all his fast guys who were perfect for his "fast" paced offense and now he's sitting at home eating pork grinds and crying himself to sleep with the shades drawn.

Did Supreme Leader Snoke resign up there in NY yet?

I actually started cracking up so hard my wife was asking what was going on from the next room. I applaud you.

Wow--kind of shocked by the Coughlin resignation...Coughlin is an absolutely top notch coach.  

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're hoping to find in their next coach. Granted, Rufus is right, he does make some really crazy decisions sometimes, but overall the guy was good. But the Giants have been making terrible personnel decisions since their first SB. 

Seriously, I'd be shocked if they had any more success in finding guys to fit their offense and defense than Vinny did while he was here (sure, that's probably a great exaggeration, it just seems like they've been tearing their team down brick by brick). The team just seemed to die as their SB contributors retired. They haven't found anyone to play RB, LB, DL (besides JPP), OL, their DBs have underperformed. That's just a quick shot from the hip, but I think it's pretty accurate.

However, as a Skins fan, I'm like, "Sure guys, it's a great idea to join the coaching search race this year, when everyone else is doing it. I'm sure it will turn out GREAT...for us."

Edited by jflow78
  • Like 1

Overall, that's certainly a fair assessment. But hit year, he cost his team I believe 3 games with just mind-glowingly idiotic clock management decisions. 

I can't cry a lot of tears for coach getting fired after going 19-29 the last 3 years, 4 years without the playoffs and the comedy of errors he put forth this year. Though reese should really be going bye-bye with him.

That's true, but if this were any other franchise where the coach had taken them to two super bowl victories in less than a decade, there would be a street named after him.  Giants fans are an odd bunch.  I can almost guarantee they won't find a coach as good as Coughlin, and with their GM, it wouldn't really matter if they did.

Watching ESPN this afternoon, they said Chip's people contacted the 49ner's for a tryout.  Sounded possible SF would entertain at least an interview.  Shanny was tied to Miami for at least a look see.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000616810/article/dolphins-interview-mike-smith-to-interview-shanahan

This is tough to watch because they call the Giants a model franchise (F U Mara) - speculated on Schwartz. and S. Payton as possibilities

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-giants/0ap3000000617132/Who-will-be-a-good-fit-for-the-Giants