Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

The answer looks like the Dolphins with Adam Gase, which I think is a bad move. If you want a "QB Guru" on your staff don't hire him to a position where he can't give single-minded focus on developing the QB.

Agreed, head coaches these days are true managers.  They have to sit at the top and direct, handle personnel, more paperwork, deal with the staff and deal with the entire team.  They have to be able to motivate the entire team.  They don't have time to focus on one player or even one side of the ball though they can put more focus one side of the ball, they can't just ignore the rest of the team.

One of the things I like what Grudes did was figure that out.  Bring in a QB coach, give more responsibility to his O coordinator and make sure you have the best position coaches.  Of course, have a competent GM helps.

Jon Gruden to Philly to be their head coach?

Heard it on seriusxm and they said the only roadblock would be Roseman, their version of Vinny.

I'd think the roadblock would be his brother coaching a division rival.

I know there's plenty of misinformation out about this right now, but I would be terribly disappointed in Jon Gruden if he went to the Eagles (or Giants).  As like a overall "fan" of his.  My grandfather was a Bucs fan so I always rooted for them as far as the pecking order goes for people watching teams other than ours play. 

I've always felt like Jon seems to keep an emotional distance to Jay when he gets brought up, not a dislike necessarily, but just no extra effusiveness about his brother himself.  I know it's very possible that as an analyst he probably might think it's a conflict of interest, and/or, he doesn't want to draw extra attention to Jay, but it's weird that I've never heard him say ever like "I'm happy with the way his team played last week" or anything - I mean there's nothing.  Not even small brotherly praise.

It just always felt weird.  

Point is, if he's genuinely interested in the Eagles job, either they are the most competitive family of all time, or maybe their relationship isn't as great as other brothers.  And I know there are only 32 HC jobs in the NFL bla bla bla - but not only is Jon a coveted name so doesn't need to beg for a position anywhere, but there are always multiple job openings in a given year.  Something just feels odd about it.

----

Now - if Jon were to join the Eagles - I think we are the ones that gain from that.  Jay already had his territory in the NFC east and I think the players would dig in their heels and never let the Eagles get the best of Jay.  And the Eagles would ultimately look dysfunctional again.  

Eagles to talk to coughlin on Monday. Wow. What a big ol **** you it would be to the Giants if he signs with Philly

Sounds like Eagles are just interviewing everyone they think will piss off each other team in the east the most.  Rumors about Jon Gruden, a Coughlin interview.

Who from Dallas?

Jimmy Johnson?

Bill Parcells?

Wade Phillips?

They can't have Callahan, he's ours!

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Former Falcons HC Mike Smith now scheduled to interview w/ Giants on Monday, per source. Smith highly impressed Dolphins with HC interview.
12:01 PM

Eagles confirm they have completed their interview today with Chiefs OC Doug Pederson in Kansas City.
1:30 PM

Issue of Marvin Lewis' future really isn't much of an issue. Bengals have no plans to make any HC change at this time, per sources.
2:44 PM
Edited by visionary

...I've always felt like Jon seems to keep an emotional distance to Jay when he gets brought up, not a dislike necessarily, but just no extra effusiveness about his brother himself.  I know it's very possible that as an analyst he probably might think it's a conflict of interest, and/or, he doesn't want to draw extra attention to Jay, but it's weird that I've never heard him say ever like "I'm happy with the way his team played last week" or anything - I mean there's nothing...Something just feels odd about it....

I've heard him praise his brother professionally. I've also heard him say that they talk several times a week.

What that translate to for me is that he loves his brother, is proud of him, gives him advice and consults for him, and he's a football announcer and if he says, "My brother's the best. The Redskins are the best. I hope they kill the opponent today so we can go hang out and buy beer and laugh about it later" then he'd be fired.

There's no relationship issue here and really no clue that there is one. You can read anything into it you want (good or bad) because they do a pretty good job of allowing Jon to keep his job by not acting like the only team in the NFL he want to win is the one his brother is coaching.

Now, if he ACTUALLY went to the Eagles then, current or not, I'm fairly sure there would be relationship problems from now on.  :lol:

Understand the knee-jerk reaction calling for Lewis to be fired. But.....I'll be the devils advocate. Not Marvin Lewis' fault the rb fumbles the ball in that spot. Only one job there for rb. They wouldn't have definitely won with a fg, but odds were in their favor. Lewis could be blamed for boneheaded penalties for sure. I personally thot Porter should be held to higher standard than player, but the lack of discipline hurt.

Big point is, Lewis had the team in a position to win with 1.5 minutes to go, with a backup QB against the team that no one wanted to play going into the playoffs. With Dalton, they were top 2-3 team in the AFC. Doesn't help Lewis that he plays in division with steelers and ravens (2 of the top-run franchises in the NFL).

In order to fire someone, you need to make sure your have a better option. Only person that fits that bill that is available wouldl be coughlin.

PF

Understand the knee-jerk reaction calling for Lewis to be fired. But.....

I sort of put him in the same class as Marty Schottenheimer. The guy's teams were almost always competitive and his players often let him down in playoff games (like the INT with San Diego that ended up being fumbled and giving the other team the game).

Lewis' team SHOULD have won the game. They had it and the bone head personal foul handed it to the Steelers. It's like the missed FG for the Vikings. I don't blame Zimmer for that.

Tom Coughlin Any Questions?

I actually think Coughlin gets more out of the players he has. I mean, look at the garbage NY has been playing with over the last few seasons. Sure, they haven't been good, but which players from their team have gone on to have success elsewhere? I can't think of a single name.

He'd do great getting the best out of Murray and the other RBs, Bradford would be perfect for his team (Eli's not much different, just more healthy). I honestly think most of the Giants issues come from Reece, not Coughlin. So, we can all look forward to the Giants continuing to draft poorly and sign really garbage free agents.

...of course, the rest of the NFC East can look forward to this, if the Eagles hire him:

82273277.jpg

• Like 1

I sort of put him in the same class as Marty Schottenheimer. The guy's teams were almost always competitive and his players often let him down in playoff games (like the INT with San Diego that ended up being fumbled and giving the other team the game).

Lewis' team SHOULD have won the game. They had it and the bone head personal foul handed it to the Steelers. It's like the missed FG for the Vikings. I don't blame Zimmer for that.

I actually think Coughlin gets more out of the players he has. I mean, look at the garbage NY has been playing with over the last few seasons. Sure, they haven't been good, but which players from their team have gone on to have success elsewhere? I can't think of a single name.

He'd do great getting the best out of Murray and the other RBs, Bradford would be perfect for his team (Eli's not much different, just more healthy). I honestly think most of the Giants issues come from Reece, not Coughlin. So, we can all look forward to the Giants continuing to draft poorly and sign really garbage free agents.

...of course, the rest of the NFC East can look forward to this, if the Eagles hire him:

<STAFF EDIT, RULE 11, DON'T QUOTE PICS, MEMBER WARNED>

:lol:

Edited by thesubmittedone
  • Like 1

I've heard him praise his brother professionally. I've also heard him say that they talk several times a week.

What that translate to for me is that he loves his brother, is proud of him, gives him advice and consults for him, and he's a football announcer and if he says, "My brother's the best. The Redskins are the best. I hope they kill the opponent today so we can go hang out and buy beer and laugh about it later" then he'd be fired.

There's no relationship issue here and really no clue that there is one. You can read anything into it you want (good or bad) because they do a pretty good job of allowing Jon to keep his job by not acting like the only team in the NFL he want to win is the one his brother is coaching.

Now, if he ACTUALLY went to the Eagles then, current or not, I'm fairly sure there would be relationship problems from now on.  :lol:

Well there is a difference between hearing it's occurred at all vs. not once. 

I had literally never - heard jon say something that seemed nice in a brotherly way (proud, excited, etc.) about his brother lol.  Just the - "they got some nice pieces there, they got to get that secondary figured out man, they've had some special teams troubles" football related stuff. 

Even hearing it from you is enough because my burden of proof was low, and yea, it would really have been the Philly thing that took this to a real level.  It was more in that the base sense, in hindsight, I wouldn't have been as surprised only because it felt like an anomaly that him and Jay were never effusive (for NFL lifer standards) in public. 

-----------

But yea, that was the point anyway, that perhaps that's just their brotherly coaching keep the distractions to a minimum type stuff at work, but that if he really went to the eagles that would just be nuts from the competition standpoint, given that both A. Jon could choose his job unless some lower level candidates and B. they basically vie for who gets to keep their millions of dollars contracts against eachother every year. 

I've always assumed that Jay having Jon as a brother could only help as a HC, because it would help with his immediate respect by players, Jay feeling more like he belongs in that base sense of living the life on an NFL and trying to make it, and the benefits of talking football and talking tape.

Talking tape... if I were Jon, I would just send Jay my notes every day and give Jay the best weekly scouting reports in the world.  That's the type of thing I'm hoping Jon does that we don't hear about. lol 

• Like 1