Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

So, we close the hiring cycle for 2015 and on to Black Monday 2016: 1/2/17.

Coaches on the hot seat for 2016

1. Bills: Rex Ryan - a second straight playoff miss and the owner may just eat that contract.

2. Jaguars: Gus Bradley - Yeah, they gave him a one year extension but missing the playoffs for a 4th year will do him in.\

3. Chargers: Mike Mccoy - got a reprive but the future LA Chargers won't give him another chance, if he fails in 2016.

4. Rams: Jeff Fisher - Kroenke got to move to L.A. A non-playoff season and it's over for Fisher.

5. Lions: Jim Caldwell - He got another chance but a repeat performance and the new GM looks elsewhere

6. Cowboys: Jason Garrett- Another non-playoff season, injuries or not; JJ may need to hire a new puppet.

Even if Jay misses the playoffs in 2016; he bought himself a 4th year by making the playoffs as NFC EAST champs.

• Like 1

Coaches on the hot seat for 2016

1. Bills: Rex Ryan - a second straight playoff miss and the owner may just eat that contract.

I can definitely see this, especially after he took such a highly ranked defense and turned them into a bottom half ranked defense (19th), and now has brought in his brother to coordinate that defense, I'd say Rex has a lot to prove and very little wiggle room.

2. Jaguars: Gus Bradley - Yeah, they gave him a one year extension but missing the playoffs for a 4th year will do him in.

I think the Jags took the smart path here, knowing there were so many opening around the league and that they really don't have much to offer to shine above the competition as far as enticing a possible hire, they decided to go one more year with Bradley so that they could have a better opportunity to get their guy next off season.  The writing is on the wall.  Outside of a winning, playoff berth season, Bradley is already done.

3. Chargers: Mike Mccoy - got a reprive but the future LA Chargers won't give him another chance, if he fails in 2016.

I think he is in the same boat as Bradley.  If he doesn't produce at least a WC appearance next season, his termination papers will be signed.

4. Rams: Jeff Fisher - Kroenke got to move to L.A. A non-playoff season and it's over for Fisher.

I think Fisher was only retained to give the players a semblance of stability during this moving process.  The fact that he seems to have Seattle's number doesn't hurt him either.  But, I think the writing is on the wall for this one, and Fisher will be looking for a new job come 2017.

5. Lions: Jim Caldwell - He got another chance but a repeat performance and the new GM looks elsewhere

Caldwell may not last the entire season next year.  If the Lions only have two wins or less by November, he could be the first coach to fall.

6. Cowboys: Jason Garrett- Another non-playoff season, injuries or not; JJ may need to hire a new puppet.

I think Jones already knows who he wants to replace Garrett, so I doubt he will be shy about pulling the trigger.  Though, with a healthy romoSUCKS and Dez, the Cowboys should be competitive enough to get Garrett through the season. After a year like this, it is easy for NFCE fans to sleep on the Cowboys, but I think they will be the biggest challenge to the Redskins repeating as NFCE champs next year.

Even if Jay misses the playoffs in 2016; he bought himself a 4th year by making the playoffs as NFC EAST champs.

I don't believe this.  If the team falls flat and looks out coached like it did during many games in 2014, GMSM may help Snyder run Jay out of town.  If we lose close, hard fought games, I think that will help Jay's cause.  It all boils down to if we lose, how we lose, so Gruden better not rest on his laurels.  

Edited by Taylor 36
  • Like 1

2. Jaguars: Gus Bradley - Yeah, they gave him a one year extension but missing the playoffs for a 4th year will do him in.\

1. The Bills were competitive this season. I think if they do the same next year he's fine, if they don't, he'll be on the hot seat in 2017. Safe next year.

2. Gus Bradley, the Jags' new owner has been a pretty patient guy so far (partially proven by the fact that he hasn't shown any desire to move the team when 3 other teams were dying to get to LA). If the team shows improvement regardless of whether or not they make the playoffs, I think he's fine next year. He may be on the hot seat in 2017.

3. Mike McCoy is on the hot seat now and if they don't improve he's gone next season.

4. Jeff Fisher, I think the move to LA is what stopped him from getting fired (and they were 4-2 in their division beating the Cardinals once and the Seahawks twice). I think the team changes a lot heading out to LA to make a big splash and give LA it's own team, not St Louis' castoffs. Fisher's gone after next season unless they make the playoffs, regardless of whether they improve.

5. Jim Caldwell should be fired already, so I agree with Taylor 36, he's gone midseason (the guy sucks at everything but getting your team in position to get the #1 pick).

6. Garrett just signed a 5 year extension and Jones has a strange infatuation with Garrett and always has (he was a 3rd string QB for the Cowboys back in the day). He desperately wants Garrett to be his HC for the remainder of his life. Garrett is safe as long as Jones can think of another reason the team underperforms. Garrett is going to be there for at least 2 more years, IMO.

Still not comfortable with how Lovie got the shaft down in Tampa. Pretty clear what went down. He inherited a stinker of a team (as much collective, NFL starting-caliber talent as the 1980s Bucs). You've got to give the man time to build. And if there is a problem with the trajectory of talent acquisition, then the Glazers fired the wrong person. We'll see how they do.

6. Garrett just signed a 5 year extension and Jones has a strange infatuation with Garrett and always has (he was a 3rd string QB for the Cowboys back in the day). He desperately wants Garrett to be his HC for the remainder of his life. Garrett is safe as long as Jones can think of another reason the team underperforms. Garrett is going to be there for at least 2 more years, IMO.

Garrett is a good yes-man and puppet for Jones.

Jones doesn't want a strong HC that will but heads with him and have his own ideas (like he did with Parcells). He wants someone he can control.

He has that with Garrett.

Who do the Bills think they are? They haven't been good in 20years. Why fire a proven coach after 2 seasons? Makes no sense

Probably because they haven't been to the playoffs in 17 years. And they may still have hopes of moving to Toronto. If they can pull that off after next year, why not fresh city with a fresh new coach? Not saying I think it's sound (I'd hate to play in the same division as the Pats until Brady retires), but we're all shocked that Fisher is staying while the Rams move so...

Red Ryan....a proven coach? He failed with the jets. How many years has it been since he took a team to the playoffs, 5 years? I've always thought he's overrated.

3 straight AFCCG with Sanchez at QB is nothing to sneeze at. But it's not like the Bills have been relevant since 1999.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The 2016 Hot Seat Going into Week 2 

1 game, 15 more to go.  Already some coaches maybe on the hot seat.

1.  Chargers -  Mike McCoy.  Good chance he's the first guy fired.  This team has the option to move to L.A. next year. They have that vote for a new stadium in November.  He won't last much longer.

2.  Rams - Jeff Fisher.  Now that the team is back in L.A.; they probably will want a new coach so that they are winning by the time the new stadium opens in 2019.

3.  Bills -  Rex Ryan.  Never should've been hired. He made their defense worse, which was his strength.  Probably done at the end of year.

4.  Titans -  Mike Mularkey.  Mariota isn't do as well as Winston.  He probably doesn't last the year.

5.  Jaguars - Gus Bradley.  It's playoffs or goodbye for Gus.  He must win this year

6.  Cowboys -  Jason Garrett is on the hot seat. He loses Romo again but Jason needs to somehow how the Boys play at least .500 ball this year or Jerry may find a new puppet.

Coaches that could join them.  Lions- Jim Caldwell, Bengals- Marvin Lewis may finally get the ax, if Bengals fail to win a playoff game. 

I could see the Bears- John Fox joining this list.   Didn't they give the Colts- Pagano an extension?    Our own Jay Gruden could join this list & I do now think that a second losing season; would seal his fate.

This man's immortality simply defies logic.

No other franchise would tolerate such mediocrity, especially when it comes to that 2012 draft class. They should have been set for life

18 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Grigson/Pagano should be out the door this offseason, and that would be my #1.

Ryan, Fisher, McCoy are all good guesses that take little imagination to see, and I'd have them all tied for #2 right now.

The fact that the AFC South could be the best division in football by seasons end should grease the skids for Pagano and Grigson

Dunno who you get to go there. Irsay seems like he's fairly unstable

Also if Ryan gets canned I want Snyder to do a Don Corleone and make him an offer he can't refuse. Let him have complete control of the defense, and let Jay worry about the offense, if this season goes the way I think it will.

They inexplicably passed on Wade Phillips. Ryan would be their chance to correct that blunder

Edited by Mr. Sinister