Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

On 1/9/2017 at 5:35 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

The buzz is, he doesn't get along with GM.   BO wasn't his decision.

Wonder if McNair learned anything from the San Fran situation with Harbaugh. I think Bill is a good coach with a nothingburger as a QB forced on him.

8th update.

Teams' new hires

1. Jaguars- Promoted Doug Marrone to head coach.

2. Broncos- Hired Dolphins DC Vance Joseph as coach. 

3. Bills- Hired Panthers DC Sean McDermott

4. Rams- Hired Redskins OC Sean McVay.      

5. Chargers- Set to hire former Bills OC Anthony Lynn

6. 49ers- Everything is pointing to Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan being hired, once the Falcons season is over.

============================================================================================

Black Monday 2017 will bring better options.  NY Jets, Browns, Bengals, Ravens, Bears, Lions, Vikings, Colts, Saints are teams whose coaches will be on hot seats. I also say Texans Bill Obrien may try to et out of ouston next year. Finally, Jay Gruden could be on the hot seat also.

Edited by Rdskns2000

NBC Indianapolis' Bob Kravitz believes the Colts have reached out to ESPN analyst Jon Gruden about coaching the team.

Kravitz also believes owner Jim Irsay has touched base with Peyton Manning about overseeing the team in a John Elway-type role as the GM and top executive. These rumors have been swirling since the end of the season and will continue until Irsay publicly commits to coach Chuck Pagano and GM Ryan Grigson, something he's yet to do. Gruden has said he won't return to coaching unless it's the right situation with a quarterback. The Colts would fit that bill. At the end of the day, these are just unconfirmed rumors unlikely to develop into reality.

Things are quiet in Indy does not mean Pagano is safe. I can see Kyle Shanny being looked at for this job.

19 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Rams sure are taking a big risk in hiring Sean Mcvay. Is it Kyle Shanahan in San Fran?.Josh McDaniels? If I were both of them; I'd stay away. Black Monday 2017 will bring better options.  NY Jets, Browns, Bengals, Ravens, Bears, Lions, Vikings, Colts, Saints are teams whose coaches will be on hot seats. I also say Texans Bill Obrien may try to et out of ouston next year. Finally, Jay Gruden could be on the hot seat also.

I always thinks that coaches are always on the hot seat. Ever.

But right now, I would probably remove 2 of them from this list:

- Belichick, though he might retire soon (if he wins LI with Brady maybe?)

- Tomlin (except if they decide to re air Dr House series, they might consider him to replace Omar Epps)

Everyone else is on the hot seat.

On 1/13/2017 at 2:38 PM, Wildbunny said:

I always thinks that coaches are always on the hot seat. Ever.

Everyone else is on the hot seat.

Pete Carroll would be the only other name Id put up there. I think he's earned coach until he wants status in Seattle at this point. 

Until this year I would have said McCarthy.  But not any more. 

On 1/13/2017 at 10:57 AM, MEANDWARF said:

NBC Indianapolis' Bob Kravitz believes the Colts have reached out to ESPN analyst Jon Gruden about coaching the team.

Kravitz also believes owner Jim Irsay has touched base with Peyton Manning about overseeing the team in a John Elway-type role as the GM and top executive. These rumors have been swirling since the end of the season and will continue until Irsay publicly commits to coach Chuck Pagano and GM Ryan Grigson, something he's yet to do. Gruden has said he won't return to coaching unless it's the right situation with a quarterback. The Colts would fit that bill. At the end of the day, these are just unconfirmed rumors unlikely to develop into reality.

Things are quiet in Indy does not mean Pagano is safe. I can see Kyle Shanny being looked at for this job.

Can they interview somebody for a job that's still filled?  I kinda think that's not exactly ethical.  Poking around to see if somebody is interested is one thing, actively seeking out replacements is another... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Can they interview somebody for a job that's still filled?  I kinda think that's not exactly ethical.  Poking around to see if somebody is interested is one thing, actively seeking out replacements is another... 

Dan was reaching out to Shanahan while Zorn was still coaching.  Mike wouldn't discuss the job while Zorn was still here out of respect.  If they're not under contract with another team there's no rule saying they can't talk to someone.  

21 hours ago, RonPaul said:

Sorry to be off topic, but I'm new.  Isn't there a sub forum for draft talk?

We have the Comprehensive Draft thread in the Stadium forum, that's pretty much a catch all for draft talk

Here:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/404006-2017-comprehensive-nfl-draft-thread/?page=41

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Well, with the 2017 season starting; let's look at the race for black Monday on 1/1/18.

Hot Seat:

1. Colts: Chuck Pagano - Very hot seat, no playoff run and he's done.

2. Jets: Todd Bowles - May have the #1 pick in 2018, he will be fired.

3. Bears: John Fox - His tenure has been a failure. If Bears don't show some hope, they may bring someone else to groom their new QB.

4. Lions: Jim Caldwell - If they miss the playoffs, Lions probably go in another direction

5. Bengals: Marvin Lewis - They will miss the playoffs and Marvin will not get a new contract.

6. Browns:  Hue Jackson - They will stink but their QB will show some signs. Owner will hire someone else to develop the rookie.

Mild Seat:

1.  Redskins:Jay Gruden - Turbulent offseason. He did get a contract season but a double digit losing season of 10 or more losses; does him in. 

2,  Ravens: John Harbaugh - A non-playoff season again and they may make a change

Possible Seat:

1. Cards: Bruce Arians - I think he gives it one more try but resigns after the season for health reasons.

2. Saints: Sean Payton - Another non-playoff season and I think they part ways. Especially, with Brees nearing the end of his career.

I will update this during the season.  The only other coach, I think that could be on any seat would be Jason Garrett.  If the Cowboys tanked the season, Jerry may decide to make a change.

Edited by Rdskns2000

I want to see how much patience the Bucs exercise with Koetter. Lovie was shoved out the door prematurely, in my opinion. In AZ, I think Bruce will leave when he wants to, and on his own terms. Could end up with Cousins as his qb next season; that's who he wants, assuming he stays in Tempe. Fox is absolutely done, and this will be his last HC stop. He's heading to the Sunday shows. For obvious reasons, I hope Bowles has some real success this year, and things take a positive turn for him with the Jets. Part of me wonders not whether he's the right coach for NY, but instead whether he chose the right organization for his first HC gig.

15 hours ago, skinzplay said:

I want to see how much patience the Bucs exercise with Koetter. Lovie was shoved out the door prematurely, in my opinion. In AZ, I think Bruce will leave when he wants to, and on his own terms. Could end up with Cousins as his qb next season; that's who he wants, assuming he stays in Tempe. Fox is absolutely done, and this will be his last HC stop. He's heading to the Sunday shows. For obvious reasons, I hope Bowles has some real success this year, and things take a positive turn for him with the Jets. Part of me wonders not whether he's the right coach for NY, but instead whether he chose the right organization for his first HC gig.

Bruce won't be fired. I think his health isn't that good and that's why he would resign after this season.

Cousins  is going to San Francisco or Los Angeles if Jared Goff doesn't have a good season.

If the Bucs makes the playoffs, Koetter should be fine.

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Bruce won't be fired. I think his health isn't that good and that's why he would resign after this season.

Cousins  is going to San Francisco or Los Angeles if Jared Goff doesn't have a good season.

If the Bucs makes the playoffs, Koetter should be fine.

Yeah, that's what I meant with Bruce. I hope his health improves. But you're right -- he'll never be forced out.

My guess two weeks in

On 9/9/2017 at 10:50 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Hot Seat:

1. Colts: Chuck Pagano - Fired

2. Jets: Todd Bowles - Fired

3. Bears: John Fox - Fired

4. Lions: Jim Caldwell - Gets another season

5. Bengals: Marvin Lewis - Fired

6. Browns:  Hue Jackson - Gets another season

Mild Seat:

1.  Redskins:Jay Gruden - Gets another season

2,  Ravens: John Harbaugh - Gets another season

Possible Seat:

1. Cards: Bruce Arians - Retires

2. Saints: Sean Payton - Should be fired, has turned into Jeff Fisher on us. Problem is how much he is owed. The Saints say goodbye to Drew Brees this year so expect them to shop Payton in the offseason and if not get a buy out to quit

3. Jason Garrett - With the way he's calling offense this season he should be fired. The media hasn't picked up on this but guess what the percentage of passes in the Red Zone Garrett has called vs runs so far this year and remember they have the NFLs youngest best RB in the game? Over 90% pass to run. Should be fired if this continues

3 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Seat beginning to warm up nicely, Ben McAdoo, New York Giants.  Criticized the untouchable Manning & fans in turmoil.  Go read some of their message boards to see meltdown mode & in-fighting.  Tough upcoming schedule.  It may get ugly, quickly.

I remember thinking the day they Giant's hired Caughlin, "CRAP.  He's a damn good coach and that's going to be bad for us."  Then I remember thinking, when they fired him, "FANTASTIC!"

Now I'm hoping McAdoo stays as long as possible. I don't actually think he's a bad coach.  And, quite frankly, his comments about Eli were, you know, right.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I remember thinking the day they Giant's hired Caughlin, "CRAP.  He's a damn good coach and that's going to be bad for us."  Then I remember thinking, when they fired him, "FANTASTIC!"

Now I'm hoping McAdoo stays as long as possible. I don't actually think he's a bad coach.  And, quite frankly, his comments about Eli were, you know, right.  

You beat me to the punch with this thought. 

However, I think McAdoo's an Okay coordinator - just not Head Coach material.  And yes, I want New York to show him an unshakable commitment (for say, the next 5 years).  The only thing that worries me is if they have too poor a season, they'll be right at the top of The Draft picking Eli"s replacement.

Edited by Diehard Otis

My thoughts:

Scotching ho, will burn your ass if you sit downt:

- Indy: Pagano is done done.  It's probably not all his fault, he has a lunatic, drug adict owner, a hurt QB, and no talent.  But, his goose is cooked.

- Cincy: Lewis is the second longest tenured HC in the NFL behind the guy in NE with 5 rings.  Lewis hasn't won a playoff game.  And this will be a losing season.  Either he retires with dignity or he's fired.  It will be after the season.

Seat is hot, but not too hot to sit down

Saints: Payton.  It's really tough to fire a coach who brought success to the city for the first time, you know, ever, which included a SB ring.  But since 20012, they've gone 7-9, 11-5, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9 WITH DREW FREAKING BREES.  That has to be unacceptable.  And this year, they might not even get to 7-9.  

Bears: I think John Fox is a good coach, and he was brought into a bad situation.  And they're playing hard, so this could change, but they won't have patience forever.  

NYG: They've looked horrendous offensively.  This is only year 2, and they made the playoffs last year, but aye aye aye, it could get out of control. 

Teams that suck but it's really not the coaches fault but they'll probably be fired anyway:

Jets

Browns

Teams that suck but with first year HCs so they're most likely safe:

49ers,

Chargers (I think, right?)

6 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

You beat me to the punch with this thought. 

However, I think McAdoo's an Okay coordinator - just not Head Coach material.  And yes, I want New York to show him an unshakable commitment (for say, the next 5 years).  The only thing that worries me is if they have too poor a season, they'll be right at the top of The Draft picking Eli"s replacement.

I mean, I think the book is still out on him.  They did win 10 or 11 games last year and make it to the playoffs.  Maybe this is just a slow start.  Maybe it's because Eli is even worse than expected but he can't do anything about it.  Who knows.  

But he's not Coughlin.  

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, I think the book is still out on him.  They did win 10 or 11 games last year and make it to the playoffs.  Maybe this is just a slow start.  Maybe it's because Eli is even worse than expected but he can't do anything about it.  Who knows.  

But he's not Coughlin.  

This guy & his team are so overrated it makes me sick!

I know I saw a 6-10 team play on Monday Night.  Hell, Brandon Marshall's washed up, they have a goose egg in the backfield behind Eli, NO Offensive Line, and a good (NOT Great) Defense that's demoralized because they know this will be a season of no help.

The big red flag was when New York (Coached by an Offensive guy) couldn't score 20 points on anyone down the stretch last year. Now don't you worry, they still can't score.   And they beat up on a soft schedule last year.  

So their answer this season was to keep the same cast - NOT address any glaring weakness, mind you (while facing a MUCH tougher Schedule), and people actually thought this was a Super Bowl Team?

Stop the world, I wanna get off.