Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

22 hours ago, Capt'n Obvious said:

If Gruden gets the axe, you could possibly add Washington to that list. 

I do think that Schwartz will definitely get a look this off season.

No.  If Gruden gets the ax, Snyder is going after a big name.  It's that time in Dan's hiring cycle to go after a big name again.  So, Gruden's eventual successor will be:

1. A Big name NFL coach

2. A Big name College Coach

3. A big name retread NFL coach

One of those 3 options, will be the eventual successor to Gruden.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 14: USA Today - NFL hot seat rankings: Bengals' Marvin Lewis, Bears' John Fox coaching out the string?

Edited by Rdskns2000

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

No.  If Gruden gets the ax, Snyder is going after a big name.  It's that time in Dan's hiring cycle to go after a big name again.  So, Gruden's eventual successor will be:

1. A Big name NFL coach

2. A Big name College Coach

3. A big name retread NFL coach

One of those 3 options, will be the eventual successor to Gruden.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 14: USA Today - NFL hot seat rankings: Bengals' Marvin Lewis, Bears' John Fox coaching out the string?

I don't doubt that is what Dan will try to do, but I don't think any big name coach that is worth anything will come to this disaster. Regardless of how much money ol' Danny boy throws at him, it wouldn't be worth it.

5 hours ago, Capt'n Obvious said:

I don't doubt that is what Dan will try to do, but I don't think any big name coach that is worth anything will come to this disaster. Regardless of how much money ol' Danny boy throws at him, it wouldn't be worth it.

I didn't say he had to be worth anything. :rofl89:

Here's Dan's hiring cycle:

Marty Schottenheimer - Big name retread - too bad he has Alzhemier's or Dementia now. 

Steve Spurrier - Big name college coach

Joe Gibbs - Big name retread

Jim Zorn - NFL Assistant - Newbie first time head coach - Dan's worst hire ever

Mike Shanahan - Big name retread

Jay Gruden - NFL Assistant - Newbie first time head coach.

I don't know. 4 of Dan's 6 hires have been big names. Really, the only time things really were ****ed up was in 2008 with the hiring of Jim Zorn. That never should've happened.  I think Dan will be able to get a big name, if he wants one.  Will it be a Bill Bellicheck type coach, probably not.  I think he will find someone. The big question, really how attractive is this job compared to others that will be available? Whether that's this year or next year. 

35 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't know. 4 of Dan's 6 hires have been big names. Really, the only time things really were ****ed up was in 2008 with the hiring of Jim Zorn. That never should've happened.  I think Dan will be able to get a big name, if he wants one.  Will it be a Bill Bellicheck type coach, probably not.  I think he will find someone. The big question, really how attractive is this job compared to others that will be available? Whether that's this year or next year. 

If I remember correctly, the reason they settled on Zorn was because nobody else that was a quality coach wanted the job. I think Jim Fassel was floated out at the time, but thats it.

Even last year, every big name defensive coordinator turned them down so they went in house with Manusky. 

I agree he will try to get some retread with name recognition, but I think he will fail.

On 12/13/2017 at 1:32 PM, Capt'n Obvious said:

If I remember correctly, the reason they settled on Zorn was because nobody else that was a quality coach wanted the job. I think Jim Fassel was floated out at the time, but thats it.

Even last year, every big name defensive coordinator turned them down so they went in house with Manusky. 

I agree he will try to get some retread with name recognition, but I think he will fail.

The fanbase didn't want Fassel and I think Dan listened.  

Hue Jackson may not be safe. The new Chiefs GM wouldn't say if Hue was coming back. He gave runaround talking about something else, when asked about Hue.  It will not shock me, to see Hue Jackson as the next Bengals coach.

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Hue Jackson may not be safe. The new Chiefs GM wouldn't say if Hue was coming back. He gave runaround talking about something else, when asked about Hue.  It will not shock me, to see Hue Jackson as the next Bengals coach.

I don't care how much of the blame is put on GM, you can't bring back a HC that has won ONE game out of 32.  Crazy if they do...of course, it is the ___________ we are talking about.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Possible redskins offensive coordinator?? 

God no.  Also, his specialty was defense.  He was our DC for a year I think before he become the Bengals head coach.

Also, there's a chance Gruden will not be coaching us in 2018.

Edited by Rdskns2000

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I just don’t think Gruden is in trouble.  Nothing that he says or does indicates anybody has told him he’s under any pressure at all.

I agree.  Plus, though some around here like to throw out the "excuse" word, truth is that this team would have played much differently and probably be in a much better spot if it wasn't for all the injuries.  I think that is taken into consideration by those making the call on Gruden.

3 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

I agree.  Plus, though some around here like to throw out the "excuse" word, truth is that this team would have played much differently and probably be in a much better spot if it wasn't for all the injuries.  I think that is taken into consideration by those making the call on Gruden.

The only game they really quit and had no effort was the Chargers game.  But they had great effort with a lot of injuries and beat Seattle when they really shouldn't have. So that's a wash.

Jay's an ok coach.  The injuries are a thing.  I personally don't see Jay ever winning the SB.  But (for reasons I've posted in the other thread) I also don't think he should be fired.  Mostly because I don't trust Dan/Bruce to hire anybody better, and I don't trust that anybody better would take the job.

It's a low bar.  But there it is.

• Like 1

Week 15- USA Today - NFL hot seat rankings: Bengals' Marvin Lewis only delaying inevitable 

NFL Openings 

1.  Giants- 

2.  Bengals? - Lewis contract is up. Conflicting reports says he's not coming back but he won't confirm that.  I'll say this job if it isn't open yet, will be.

Redskins - Jay Gruden.  Will Dan make a change? Will he stand pat?  If the Bengals ask to trade for Jay, will Snyder say yes?  Stay tuned.

Jets -  Todd Bowles. Will he stay or go?  Jets have done better than expected but maybe the decide to change?  Tossup.

Dolphins -  Adam Gase.  A disappointing season. Could be 2 and done??  Tossup.

Browns - Hue Jackson. Owner says he's coming back and the GM says the owner said he will be back. You get the feeling the new GM wants his own coach but can he convince the owner? If not, Hue Jackson is #1 on the hot seat for 2018.

Bears- John Fox.  2 weeks until he's fired. 

Lions - Jim Caldwell. He signed a 1 year extension but Lions will probably miss the playoffs. That could cost him his job. Tossup.

Texans - Bill O'Brien - Tension between him and the GM.  QB wants him back but does the owner? Possible parting of the ways. 

Colts- Chuck Pagano - 2 weeks until he's fired.

Bucs-  Dirk Koetter- 2 weeks until he's fired.

Raiders- Jack Del Rio - Major disappoint this year.  Will Mark Davis make a change? Tossup

Broncos- Vance Joseph- Major failure in year one.  Does Elway fire him or not?  Tossup

Cards- Bruce Arians-  Disappointing year.  Maybe he's not safe after all. I thought he would retire but he could be fired before that?  Tossup.

There will be at least 5 openings but it could be as high as 10. 2 weeks until we find out.  I figure most of the firings will happen on Black Monday or that Tuesday.

Mike McCarthy shouldn't be safe. Its been proven time and again that Aaron Rodgers masks a ton of deficiencies with that team. I guess he has the built in excuse of Rodgers being hurt, but in my opinion the QB has made him successful, not the other way around. Not sure whether or not the majority is on McCarthy or also their front office, but without Rodgers they are a disaster.

That's an intriguing thought, Capt'n. Maybe McCarthy would be better off, like Reid, moving on to an opportunity with another organization. Could rejuvenate him, and give him a chance to be part of building something new. You're right, that team has a lotta holes -- glaring ones -- most of which are masked by that crazy stuff Rodgers is able to do. McCarthy got that contract extension three years ago, so I'm thinking he'll be free after next season?

13 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Like so many other organizations, the HC gets more blame than he should while the GM doesn't get enough blame for not giving the proper tools.

In the case of Green Bay, I absolutely think Ted Thompson gets the blame as well as Dom Capers running the defense. I personally think that Rodgers makes that team go. McCarthy's offense is pretty much let Aaron handle it. His scheme doesn't get people open, usually Rodgers going off script or putting the ball in a pin hole sized window is what moves the ball for them. I don't think he will be fired, but he doesn't necessarily come off as a good coach to me.

On 12/21/2017 at 7:57 AM, Capt'n Obvious said:

Mike McCarthy shouldn't be safe. Its been proven time and again that Aaron Rodgers masks a ton of deficiencies with that team. I guess he has the built in excuse of Rodgers being hurt, but in my opinion the QB has made him successful, not the other way around. Not sure whether or not the majority is on McCarthy or also their front office, but without Rodgers they are a disaster.

It would be irresponsible to fire McCarthy.  What few people pay attention to is the fact that Rodgers was just one of many losses.  The offensive line was missing people all year which made running an offense with a first-time starter at QB even more difficult.  Started the year without both starting Tackles, and quickly lost both backup Tackles.  And then even lost for a short time one of the starting guards that had slid over to tackle, so the team was running with options #6 and #7 at Tackle at one point.

And defensively wasn't any better.  Safety Morgan Burnett, considered to be the 'QB' of the defense, missed 4 games during Rodgers' absence.  #1 CB Davon House also missed 4 games this season.  #2 CB, rookie Kevin King, missed 5 games with a shoulder injury he tried to play through that prevented him from playing press; on IR now.  #3 CB Damarious Randall was knocked out of last week's game with a knee injury.  #4 CB Quinten Rollins was lost for the season the same game that Rodgers was injured.  #5 CB started on PUP and was moved to IR.  Throw in all the guys checking in-and-out week-to-week at LB and you've got a team that's gonna struggle to cover receivers or get to the QB before the receivers get open against #6 and #7 CBs.

And this kind of injury situation has been pretty much the norm for McCarthy to have to endure.  When he won the Super Bowl, he did so with half of the team on IR.  I can recall one season in which McCarthy's had a relatively healthy team to play with (and even then Nick Collins' career ended prematurely with a freak neck injury), and they went 15-1 that year.

So yes, Rodgers does mask deficiencies on the team.  Nearly every year he and McCarthy are dragging a hospital wing to the playoffs.

Also, worth noting the last time Rodgers missed significant time, the backup QB, Seneca Wallace, only signed on with the team after the preseason was finished.  And Wallace was lost one drive into his first start following Rodgers' injury.  The next backup QB was Scott Tolzien who'd only been with the team for a couple weeks before being thrown into the fire.  Enter Matt Flynn who got the team back on track coming off the bench to lead a big second half comeback against the Vikings, and then beat the Falcons and Cowboys.  That is, Matt Flynn who was cut by both the Raiders and the Bills earlier in the season.  But also the Matt Flynn who thrives in McCarthy's offense.

Jay Gruden isn't going anywhere and he shouldn't

I saw the report regarding Bruce Arians in AZ, he's gonna be 66 next year. Doubtful he returns. 

The Giants will have a new coach

Hard to believe Hue jackson survives 0-16 but the owner likes him

edit: