2018 NFL coach and G.M. changes tracker

Current Openings

1. Giants - 

2. Colts - 

3. Raiders - Hired Jon Gruden.

4. Bears - 

5. Lions -

6. Cards -

Cincinnati is still expected to have an opening. 

This development in Houston, probably means no change there.

Rick Smith will take year off, fine if Texans hire a G.M.  The GM's wife has breast cancer. 

The Hot seat in 2018 already has Vance Joseph, Dick Koetter, Jay Gruden, Jason Garrett and Hue Jackson- if he doesn't get fired.

Edited by Rdskns2000

I don't understand the Lions and Raiders firing their coaches.  I consider those teams similar to the Redskins. I think basically with a few upgraded players and a better defense those teams can go from being average to playoff contender,

I know it was discussed here and most agreed that coaches should be fired around year 3 or 4 without a playoff win. How is the "getting a fresh start" working out for these teams like the Lions,Raiders, and Bears? What is more likely..that we see these teams improve over the next few years or that we see them firing coordinators and coaches again in a couple of years? It's like they are playing slots and pulling the lever over and over again just hoping things will finally line up.

Also, it is interesting to see that many of the GM's and scouts for these teams are not held accountable for assembling bad teams even thought they are a major player but just working in the background. A lot of times their jobs are completely secure until their is a lot of fan outcry to have them replaced.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

I don't understand the Lions and Raiders firing their coaches.  I consider those teams similar to the Redskins. I think basically with a few upgraded players and a better defense those teams can go from being average to playoff contender,

I know it was discussed here and most agreed that coaches should be fired around year 3 or 4 without a playoff win. How is the "getting a fresh start" working out for these teams like the Lions,Raiders, and Bears? What is more likely..that we see these teams improve over the next few years or that we see them firing coordinators and coaches again in a couple of years? It's like they are playing slots and pulling the lever over and over again just hoping things will finally line up.

Also, it is interesting to see that many of the GM's and scouts for these teams are not held accountable for assembling bad teams even thought they are a major player but just working in the background. A lot of times their jobs are completely secure until their is a lot of fan outcry to have them replaced.

John Fox had 11 wins in 3 years, no way he survives that.

Caldwell was lucky he wasn't fired last year.  Yes, he had 3 out of 4 winning seasons but missing the playoffs; 2 out of the last 3 years did him in. This will be a similar scenario next year; should Gruden fail to make the playoffs unless we go with a rookie to replace Kirk. 

Raiders made the change because Jack underperformed this year and they probably have been talking to Gruden alot this season. 

5 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

John Fox had 11 wins in 3 years, no way he survives that.

Caldwell was lucky he wasn't fired last year.  Yes, he had 3 out of 4 winning seasons but missing the playoffs; 2 out of the last 3 years did him in. This will be a similar scenario next year; should Gruden fail to make the playoffs unless we go with a rookie to replace Kirk. 

Raiders made the change because Jack underperformed this year and they probably have been talking to Gruden alot this season. 

John Fox I agree with but the Bears did go into the season with a backup QB as starter and a rookie. He was in a situation where he was on thin ice from the start.

The Lions just went to the playoffs last season and like you state have 3/4 winning seasons. They don't have a running game or defense just like the Redskins. I don't see where Caldwell was holding back great players. Maybe it had something to do with Aaron Rodgers being out and them not capitalizing on that or something else going on the background?

The Raiders had a big letdown year. Derek Carr looked like he wasn't mentally over his injury and their defense is bad too.  I don't see how Jon Gruden is the solution.  Looks like next season is setting up to be another weird season should be interesting.

4 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

The Raiders had a big letdown year. Derek Carr looked like he wasn't mentally over his injury and their defense is bad too.  I don't see how Jon Gruden is the solution.  Looks like next season is setting up to be another weird season should be interesting.

Ironically, the last time the Raiders and Bucs had sustained success was when Gruden was their coach.  He was a good but not great coach. He did better coaching those teams than all his successors. In his 4 years, the Raiders have had 2 .500 seasons and 2 playoff seasons. Since then, they have had only had 2 .500 seasons & 2 playoff seasons and Gruden was traded in 2002.  Gruden's record in Tampa saw 4 out of 7 winning seasons. 3 playoff seasons including a Superbowl title his first year. The Bucs have  only had 2 non-playoff winning seasons since Gruden was fired and they are on their 4th coach.

If Tampa got Gruden, their coach would've been fired.  The Raiders made a better offer apparently and it not surprising why they went after their former coach.  The Skins did that once and got a second go around of Joe Gibbs.

• Like 1

I'm reading Dom Capers is being let go from the Defensive Coordinator position in Green Bay.  I'm a bit ambivalent about it.  Defense hasn't been great the past few years, but it's also been hit hard by injuries that I think any DC would have trouble overcoming.  Especially the last two seasons where the entire CB corps was pretty much wiped out.  Sure hope they have a good replacement planned.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

FWIW, I’d hire Fox as a DC tomorrow.  

Im somewhat surprised it didn’t work for Fox in Chicago.  He’d gotten both of his previous 2 teams to the SB in very different ways.

Eh. In 13, Manning carried Fox's mediocre defense to the Super Bowl. Two years later, with mostly the same players, the defense, under Wade Philips, carried Denver to a title.

I don't really see "John Fox is a defensive genius" as the takeaway from that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Eh. In 13, Manning carried Fox's mediocre defense to the Super Bowl. Two years later, with mostly the same players, the defense, under Wade Philips, carried Denver to a title.

I don't really see "John Fox is a defensive genius" as the takeaway from that.

That’s fair.  Though I think if he’s just a DC, not HC, he’d be an improvement.  

Also I think he’d bring some needed accountability.

19 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I'm reading Dom Capers is being let go from the Defensive Coordinator position in Green Bay.  I'm a bit ambivalent about it.  Defense hasn't been great the past few years, but it's also been hit hard by injuries that I think any DC would have trouble overcoming.  Especially the last two seasons where the entire CB corps was pretty much wiped out.  Sure hope they have a good replacement planned.

Don't worry!  Any problems the Packers have on defense the Redskins will fix it for them when they face each other next season. ?

Edited by beachboy757

With the Bengals stupidly giving Marvin Lewis 2 more years and the Browns sticking with Hue Jackson, so far; the coaching openings maybe set.

Beside Marvin, all those other coaches that got a reprieve; are on the Hot seat in 2018.  Vance Joseph, Dick Koetter, Jay Gruden, Jason Garrett and Hue Jackson- if he doesn't get fired. Marvin isn't on the hot seat for 2018 because he got a 2 year deal and Mike Brown is cheap; he doesn't like to fire coaches with time left on their contracts. 

Current Openings

1. Giants - 

2. Colts - 

3. Raiders - Expected to hire Jon Gruden.

4. Bears - 

5. Lions -

6. Cards -

Edited by Rdskns2000

How in the blue hell does Lewis get an extension? Good grief.

Of the six job openings, I'd say the Lions job is the most appealing. You've already got a franchise QB in his prime and a pretty solid D. Giants job isn't bad either since there is talent there(at least on D) and you've got a #2 pick to work with.

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

While I don't mind the W, I don't they won't be facing the Redskins in their 20th game of the season.

Confused on what you’re trying to say. The packers face the redskins in the regular season in 2018, Which was @beachboy757 point (that next season, when the redskins host the packers at FedEx Field), the redskins will help the packers with whatever defensive problems they have). 

What stinks about this possible Gruden move -- assuming it isn't just a PR ploy to draw ratings for the playoff broadcasts -- is that, if true, it means that Gruden reached out to the Raiders. The fraternity of coaches is pretty tight in this league. If this is how it went down, there will be a lot of animosity towards Gruden from his colleagues. And Del Rio is well-liked by the league. I'll say more about that if Gruden is actually hired.

12 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Confused on what you’re trying to say. The packers face the redskins in the regular season in 2018, Which was @beachboy757 point (that next season, when the redskins host the packers at FedEx Field), the redskins will help the packers with whatever defensive problems they have). 

I'm saying the Redskins defense won't win the Packers the Super Bowl.

19 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Marvin Lewis gets a 2 year extension, continuing to make Jeff Fisher wish he was a Bengals HC. How he's still around is unbelievable.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bengals-give-coach-marvin-lewis-2-year-extension-010218

It is completely amazing how he still has a HC job, never mind that job.  He is 0-7 in the playoffs after 15 seasons and his teams are constantly undisciplined.  It is ridiculous.  I wish I could be half as incompetent at my job and keep it, along with getting paid a fortune to have it.  Sheesh!!!

So have the Raiders already violated the Rooney Rule with the Jon Gruden hiring?

Also doesn't this create a conflict especially since Gruden will be calling the AFC wildcard game this weekend with the AFC West Chiefs?

So weird being Jack Del Rio got a contract extension in August of 2017. 

IMO I think this is a bad decision on Lloyd Christmas's part but what do I know. 

• Like 1