Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Well, we have a new addition to the 2018 hotlist.  The Ravens owner said he gave consideration to a coaching change this year but was satisfied with how the Ravens finished.  He does expect improvement next year- meaning playoffs or change may happen then.  John Harbaugh is on the hot seat for 2018.

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Irsay is a jerk and he deserved what he got?  Wasn't it the Colts who turned the Pats in for Deflategate?  The ultimate Patriot revenge.

My guess Josh knows Bill is going to retire and will be the Pats new coach or he has been promised the job.  I know reports say that isn't true but what else could it be?  Josh by doing what he did; probably kills any shot of a head coaching job other than New England. Who would trust him to keep his word?

I was expecting to make my final post  for the year in this thread but looks like, that will wait another week probably.

Edited by Rdskns2000

12 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Colts fans should be happy that the young ego from New England spared them this huge mistake. They'll be much better off with someone else as HC. McDaniels is bad news.

Actually, it is quite the opposite.  As I said earlier in this thread, JM would have been a fool to take that job.  The Colts are the worst run franchise in the league.  Any coach would fail there at this point.  Ego has nothing to do with it.  JM never officially accepted the job; it couldn't legally be offered to him until after the SB.  When it was, he declined it.  Belichick is going to mentor him, most likely to take over the Pats when Bill retires in a couple of years.  Josh will be a much better HC his second time around, and will be part of an organization that knows how to win and is one of the most competently run in league history.  He would have been a fool not to take advantage of the opportunity he has been given.

2 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Actually, it is quite the opposite.  As I said earlier in this thread, JM would have been a fool to take that job.  The Colts are the worst run franchise in the league.  Any coach would fail there at this point.  Ego has nothing to do with it.  JM never officially accepted the job; it couldn't legally be offered to him until after the SB.  When it was, he declined it.  Belichick is going to mentor him, most likely to take over the Pats when Bill retires in a couple of years.  Josh will be a much better HC his second time around, and will be part of an organization that knows how to win and is one of the most competently run in league history.  He would have been a fool not to take advantage of the opportunity he has been given.

One can debate the merits of the Colts job; but Josh doing what he did; kills his chance of getting a NFL Head Coaching job anywhere but New England.

No team will trust to hire him.   His only shot at head coaching in the NFL is New England.

11 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

He did indeed accept the job, and the parameters of the contract were ones to which he fully agreed. Granted, he ultimately didn't sign the contract, which is his right, but there is also such a thing as going about this with professional ethics. No one ever associated him with such beforehand, and they certainly won't do so now. But he did, in fact, accept that job. There are assistant coaches who quit their jobs with other teams and flew to Indianapolis at his behest (not at the behest of the team) in order to take part in the introductory press conference; they're still there! You don't do this to guys and their families, and not expect there to be repercussions. It's a disgusting display of amateurism and hubris. Sure, he can walk back to NE and hope that he's able to succeed the current HC (no such guarantee was made), but he's radioactive now, as far as other teams are concerned.

I won't dispute your perspective about the appeal of the Colts job. Something is clearly awry with Irsay, and Polian is no longer there to make consequential football decisions. But Chris Ballard is no slouch and, thankfully for Colts fans, he's also not Ryan Grigson. The Colts are going to be okay, and they'll actually be better than okay with a coach other than McDaniels.

• Like 3

I've always wanted to see McDaniels get another shot and assumed he learned some lessons from his first failure, so would be a really good HC candidate. He's been on my list of guys I'd like toes the Skins consider. But I have two thoughts on him after this debacle:

1. He screwed over the Colts, no other way to put it. Apparently their second choice for the job was Mike Vrabel, but they let him go to Tennessee because McDaniels had promised them he was taking it. Lord knows if their 3rd or 4th choices are still available. But whoever they eventually hire will have a greatly diminished set of assistants to pick from, since many of them have been hired by now and whoever is going to be coaching the Colts hasn't gotten started in building a staff, apart from the 3 guys McDaniels wanted, who are already under contract. And the odds that they are great fits for the new guy are remote. Meanwhile, those assistants have left their old jobs, committed to a new place and franchise, all to work with McDaniels. And there are likely other guys McDaniels was talking t about jobs there who have been waiting for that to become official who are now scrambling. 

It's so hard for me to imagine having the lack of personal integrity to leave this trail of destruction in my path. An entire organization, as well as several people he is presumably friends with, are all screwed over here. And why are they screwed? Because they took McDaniels at his word. I just can't imagine being able to live with having people so damaged because they made the mistake of believing me when I promised them something. If I were him, no matter if I decided I didn't want to go to Indy and no matter what the Patriots offered (I honestly wouldn't have even listened to their offer at that point), I would stick to my word. People made consequential decisions based on my word, and I'd want to live up to that regardless.

2. There is a good deal of talk on Boston radio these days about whether McDaniels has the balls to be a good Head Coach. This is like 4 offseason in a row that he's been pursued fro HC gigs and he's either backed out during the interview process or flat backed out of a job. The people here are tarting to wonder if they really want their next head guy to be someone who appears too scared to crawl out form Belichick's nest and forge his own path. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

colts hire eagles offensive coordinator frank reich as head coach

Well, the coaching hiring/firing season finally comes to an end.

One more post to make and that's it until the fall.  I'll give my final thoughts again and how the new coaches will do and of course, my hot seat list for 2018. Yes, Jay Gruden is on it.

Congrats to Frank Reich -- solid hire by the Colts. I think he'll be successful there once Ballard and Co. can get that roster rebuilt. And also congrats to Mike Shula on landing the OC gig with the G-Men. He should've never been let go in Carolina. He'll be great for whatever young QB they bring in as they transition from Manning.

Well, with the official introduction of Frank Reich as the Colts new coach yesterday, the 2017 hiring season comes to a close.  Some final thoughts on the hires.

1. Giants: Pat Shurmur -  I think he can have a successful run.  His second time as a head coach, should go better. He should be able to squeeze out what's left in Eli's career; assuming they stay with Eli. He can also groom's Eli's eventual successor.  I don't know if he will win a Superbowl, but he should have some success.

2. Colts: Frank Reich -.I think they lucked out in McDaniels backing out. Frank is a great hire.  If he can a healthy Andrew Luck back; I don't see why he can't eventually take the Colts to a Superbowl.

3. Raiders: Jon Gruden -  Well, he gets a decade. I think sometime in that decade, he will win a Superbowl..

4. Bears: Matt Nagy - I think he will be mediocre at best.  The Vikings Defense and Aaron Rodgers are tough obstacles.  How much did he really do under Andy Reid?  My guess, he's gone after 3 years.

5. Lions:  Matt Patricia - After that pathetic Pats defense performance in the Superbowl; this guy will do better.  The Bellichick coaching tree has a poor record. I think he ultimately fails in Detroit. At best, he does no better than Caldwell does.  I give him 4 years tops.

6. Cards: Steve Wilks -  I still think he will ultimately fail. Cards are aging.  Even if they get a decent QB, their window is closing.  My guess, once that window closes; he's gone.  Being in the NFC West with Seattle, Los Angeles and an improving San Francisco; is a tough task.  My guess, he's gone after 3, maybe 4 years.

7. Titans:  Mike Vrabel - His success is tied to Mariotta.  If Mariotta succeeds; so will Mike.  

Here's my final look at the hot seat for this year.

2018 Hot Seat 

1.  Redskins:Jay Gruden -   He has the QB situation resolved with a shiny new QB. The fact the Skins traded for Alex and gave him that 4 year extension; means they are looking to win now.  Jay absolutely has to make the playoffs this year. A failure to do that and he's joining his brother in Oakland-Las Vegas in 2019.

2.  Cowboys: Jason Garret -  Despite what the owner says, another non-playoff season and Jerry goes looking for a new puppet.  Jerry needs to win now, with Prescott and Elliot and if Jason doesn't do that; he's finally gone.

3.  Bucs:  Dirk Koetter -  He got a reprieve but if the Bucs don't at least a .500 season; he's done.

4.  Broncos: Vance Joseph - He also got a reprieve.  If the Broncos get a decent QB, they expect to return to the playoffs. Anything short of playoff birth and he's done.

5.  Ravens: John Harbaugh -  The owner has put him on the hot seat. He expects a playoff birth or else.  So, no playoffs and it's over.

6.  Dolphins: Adam Gase -  A poor season could end his run.

7.  Jets: Todd Bowles - He also got a reprieve, after doing better than expected.  I think the Jets will expect at least .500, if their new QB is a veteran. They may be a little more lenient if it's rookie. 

I'll mention Ron Rivera, not for being on the hot seat; but with a new owner by the time the season starts; that new owner may want his own guy in 2019.

Okay, SkinsFTW reminded me; I forgot one coach:

8.  Browns: Hue Jackson -  1 win in 2 years, he's definitely on the hot seat.  Honestly, I think he's gone in 2019; unless the Browns finish .500.  

So until the Fall, the hot seat is now closed!

Edited by Rdskns2000

5 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

So for some unknown reason the 1-31 Hugh Jackson eluded the hot seat? :rofl89:

Maybe he's already in the toaster oven though.

Oops.  I went back and added him. Don't know why I forgot him?  Guess, it's the Browns. Who even remembers they exist.  Probably, the only team more hopeless than us; though they are slowly rectifying that. 

On 8/31/2018 at 1:14 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, with the season a week away; it's time to start up the hot seat for 2018.

USA Today's first look at 2018's Hot Seat.

Eight NFL coaches who could quickly land on the hot seat in 2018

8 of 32 is 25% of the league's coaches are on the hot seat according to the article.  Thought there are three on the list I find hard to believe are actually on the hot seat. The list:

1. Dirk Koetter, Buccaneers.  Honestly, I keep forgetting he's actually the coach of the Bucs.  Doubt he is after this season. 

2. Vance Joseph, Broncos.  Yep, hot seat.  Better QB and should have a defense.  And only an average division. 

3. Hugh Jackson, Browns.  Sure, if you win 1 game in 2 years, you're on the hot seat.

4. John Harbaugh, Ravens.  See, this one I disagree with.  I don't think the Ravens would fire John unless he completely tanked a few season in a row.  He is a SB winning HC for them, and they're mostly competitive year in and year out.  Plus he's a ****, and that plays well for a team that has a reputation of being full of them.

5. Jay Gruden, Redskins.  I think so. 

6. Adam Gase, Dolphins.  Who?

7. Jason Garrett, Cowboys.  I think most of the fans would have fired him a while ago, but Jerrah loves his boy.  I doubt he gets fired unless the whole thing turns into a dumpster fire. 

8. Marvin Lewis.  Hasn't it been sortof proven that he gets to retire whenever he wants to, and will never get fired even if he can't win a playoff game?