Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Tomlin's not going anywhere. 

You know should be getting more scrutiny? Kyle Shanahan. Yes, injuries have been awful. But they have been a disaster in every way. He's on the hot seat next year. I love his offensive mind too, but even with Jimmy G -- who wasn't playing that great before he was hurt -- the future isn't bright on that team and Kyle has been picking the groceries. Just because guys from the Ringer think you're a good coach doesn't make you one.

NFL Coaching Hot Seat: Marvin Lewis, Todd Bowles Under Pressure After Week 13 Losses

Tidbit from this article:

>>>NFL Network reported Sunday morning that Lewis in fact signed a one-year contract with a team option for 2019 (and not the two-year deal that was reportedly at the beginning of ’18). <<<

If that's the case, then Marvin maybe finally done.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Things in GB are still a bit... conflicty.

Associate Head Coach Winston Moss tweeted this today:

Ponder this… what Championship teams have are great leadership! Period! It’s not the offensive guru trend, it’s not the safe trend. Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a #LombardiStandard! Period! #losingsucks!

And then later:

The Packers have informed me that there letting me go. #thankstwitter!

Guess it's not just players who need to be taught to stay off twitter.

I'm going to guess he wanted out after McCarthy was fired. The article on nfl.com said he was a long time McCarthy assistant. He's probably loyal to him. Obviously, he can't walk out and get his money. But he can get fired and get it. So just tweet something somewhat critical but not insubordinate and let come what may. In this case, he gets a paid vacation. 

Edited by Redskin4ever
  • Like 1

Looks like Gruden has succeeded in doing one thing this season -- he's pushed Reggie out as GM in Oakland. What a stupid thing to do, but then again, it's par for the course with all the dumb moves he's made since arriving in the off-season. I wish McKenzie well. He'll be snatched up pretty quickly by a team that's serious about building a winner, and not under the control of a star-struck owner.

I will be curious to see what happens to Gregg Williams.  I don't think the Browns should keep him on as their permanent coach but he may have earned a shot at another coaching job somewhere.  You know, the Browns could actually win AFC North  if they win their final 3 games and the Steelers lose their final 3 games and the Ravens lose 2 of their final 3 games.  That would be something,  0-16 to  a playoff birth.

Sometime in the next 2 years, the Skins will be one of the openings. Hopefully, it's this cycle but you never know.

NFC East

1.  Skins- Jay's seat is on fire but the injuries may buy him one more year.  2019 will see the Skins flirting with  the franchise record for losses (13); regardless who the coach is.  I'd rather get rid of Jay now and start rebuilding with a new coach in 2019 and let the new coach, draft us that franchise QB in 2020.

Would a quick playoff exit doom Dallas's Jason Garrett? Probably not.  His eat will be warm in 2019, if the Boys don't progress further than they do this year.

The Eagles are set at coach for a while. Winning a Superbowl buys you time.  Pat Shurmur will get time to develop Eli's successor; assuming they find one in 2019?

NFC North

1. Packers -  They will need someone to maximize the final years of Aaron Rodgers. Interesting who they will get.

The Lions Matt Patricia should be safe for this year but second subpar year and his tenure could be over. Bellichek's coaching tree hasn't been to successful.  The Vikings should make the playoffs this year, who else in NFC is going to get that 6th spot? Could Mike Zimmer be in trouble in 2019, if they underperform again? Especially, with all that money given to Kirk.  The Bears are set.

Nfc South

1.  Buccaneers -  Dirk Koetter is done.

Panthers have a new owner, could Ron Rivera be in trouble? Panthers have slid out of playoff contention. The new owner may want his own coach. If he comes back, Ron's seat is warm in 2019.  Dan Quinn should be safe with the Atlanta but another disappointing season in 2019 and he could be on the hot seat.   Saints are set with Sean Payton, as long has he wants; especially if they win another Superbowl.

NFC West

Could the Cardinals Steve Wilks be one and done?  Stay tuned.  49ers,Rams are set.  Seahawks are set for now but when they get a new owner if the Allen estate sells, will Pete still be there after 2019?

Afc West

I don't know what Elway will do with Vance Joseph.  The Broncos could still make the playoffs, stay tuned here. I think it depends on how the Broncos finish. They are 6-7 now.

Raiders are set for 9 more years, LOL. Chiefs and Chargers are set also.

AFC South

Jags might very well fire Doug Marrone for the collapse this year. Stay Tuned.

The Colts, Texans, Titans are set.

AFc North

1.  Browns - I don't see Greg Williams getting the permanent gig but he may have earned a shot elsewhere.

The Bengals Marvin Lewis contract is actually up. I think Mike Brown will finally move on.  Hue Jackson or Jay as the next Bengals coach?? Stayed tuned.

The Ravens are still in the playoff hunt but should they fail, Harbaugh is definitely out. Even if they make it, he may still be out unless they have a deep run.

Steelers are underperforming again.  If they somehow miss the playoffs, will there be a rare coaching change in Pittsburgh? Stayed tuned.

Afc East

1. Jets- Todd Bowles is done.

Dolphins Adam Gase should be safe for another year. A disappointing 2019 though and he may not survive.  We know the Pats are set.  Bills. I think another disappointing season and Sean McDermott is in trouble in 2019.

Right now, there's 2 openings: Green Bay and Cleveland and there will be openings in Tampa Bay and New York Jets.

Washington, Arizona, Denver, Baltimore and Cincinnati could join that group.

Alot can happen in 3 weeks.

====================================================================================================================================================

NFL Coaching Hot Seat: Vance Joseph, Dirk Koetter Under Pressure After Week 14

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I will be curious to see what happens to Gregg Williams.  I don't think the Browns should keep him on as their permanent coach but he may have earned a shot at another coaching job somewhere.  You know, the Browns could actually win AFC North  if they win their final 3 games and the Steelers lose their final 3 games and the Ravens lose 2 of their final 3 games.  That would be something,  0-16 to  a playoff birth.

Gregg has a pretty bad rep with front office guys apparently. Seen as arrogant and a pain in the butt. That's one thing when you're a DC, but another when you're a HC. 

I hope Gregg gets another shot at being HC. No idea what goes down in Cleveland. They may have their sights on McCarthy, or perhaps a younger coach. He's definitely a character, and has that rep of being difficult, but that was also the word on Zimmer, but he's turned Minnesota around (of course he's gone through a few OCs in the process). I think if he has a solid OC and a talented DC that he trusts to elevate and implement his defensive scheme, he'd be successful. His players won't be half-assing like our guys appear to be doing sometimes; or enjoying Club Med practices during the week, either. Dude deserves another shot. That whole bountygate thing was absurd.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2018 at 5:31 PM, Hooper said:

Gregg has a pretty bad rep with front office guys apparently. Seen as arrogant and a pain in the butt. That's one thing when you're a DC, but another when you're a HC. 

I doubt that Patriots fans are upset having their arrogant pain in the butt head coach.

• Like 1

NFC East

1.  Skins- Jay's seat is on fire but the injuries may buy him one more year

I don't think the injury excuse will buy Gruden any time this season.

One year of massive injuries is just bad luck. 2-3 years of massive injuries is a pattern.

It seems to show what Swearinger and some beat reporters have been saying. That practices are too soft. That players aren't pushed. They physically aren't ready for the long, grueling season.

Something has to change. Whether that is coaches or something else, we'll see.

Edited by SkinsGuy

12 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I don't think the injury excuse will buy Gruden any time this season.

One year of massive injuries is just bad luck. 2-3 years of massive injuries is a pattern.

It seems to show what Swearinger and some beat reporters have been saying. That practices are too soft. That players aren't pushed. They physically aren't ready for the long, grueling season.

Something has to change. Whether that is coaches or something else, we'll see.

Or that, in terms of season-long health, early byes do nobody any good.

• Like 1

The only way Jay is gone if Bruce Allen wants him gone; otherwise Bruce will sweet talk Dan into keeping Jay.  Bruce will say, look at the 6-3 start.  Then you lose your starting and backup QB.   Your replacement third string QB sucked but you just won a game, with your 4th QB on the road.

We know Dan isn't firing Bruce; who deserves to fired even more so than Jay.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The only way Jay is gone if Bruce Allen wants him gone; otherwise Bruce will sweet talk Dan into keeping Jay.  Bruce will say, look at the 6-3 start.  Then you lose your starting and backup QB.   Your replacement third string QB sucked but you just won a game, with your 4th QB on the road.

We know Dan isn't firing Bruce; who deserves to fired even more so than Jay.

What he won’t say is the team you beat has Kody ****ing Kessler at QB and has now lost 7 in a row or something. 

Jay should have been fired at the half for his complete give up at the end of the first half. 

At this point, I almost wonder if Jay is making the roster worse. 

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What he won’t say is the team you beat has Kody ****ing Kessler at QB and has now lost 7 in a row or something. 

Jay should have been fired at the half for his complete give up at the end of the first half. 

At this point, I almost wonder if Jay is making the roster worse. 

If Jay truely wants out, he can always resign.  I don't see Jay getting fired because of the injury excuse.

My preseason prediction was 7-9 and Jay getting fired but now I see Dan accepting the weasel excuse.  The Titans won a playoff game last year and still fired their coach.

Jay needs to finish with double digit losses to finally get fired and that can't happen this year.  Knowing this team, we probably finish 8-8.

If by chance the Skins do have an opening, it will be the last job filled.  I forsee Dan either ending up with either a Jim Zorn type candidate or a washed up retread; desperate to get back into the NFL.  We are the least attractive potential opening.

16 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Knowing this team, we probably finish 8-8.

If by chance the Skins do have an opening, it will be the last job filled.  I forsee Dan either ending up with either a Jim Zorn type candidate or a washed up retread; desperate to get back into the NFL.  We are the least attractive potential opening.

There is something to be said for a team with a 4th string QB and patchwork O-line still going 8-8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

That was based on his one year with the Raiders and his OC years in Cincy.    He still could be a coach next year.

Did he coach in Tampa during the 2000s?

Because only Bruce and Dan would possibly be moronic enough to hire Hugh Jackson as HC.

I think all the QBs from last year's draft should have been sitting this entire season to learn. Putting them out there was a disservice to their teams and, ultimately, to their coaches. In almost all of the cases, those guys were going to be part of rebuilding rosters. You can't expect them to do much with marginal skill players around them, so expectations are unrealistic, though I wasn't impressed with most of them coming out of college anyway. I hate when coaches are shown the door after one season, but I do think that Wilks is in trouble in AZ. Our Keim would be a better GM than theirs, so it ain't all on Wilks.

One week until Black Monday, Woo Hoo.

Joining the Browns and Packers are:

Jets - Goodbye Bowles.

Dolphins- Gase has been a .500 coach, he's probably gone.

Broncos- Vance Joseph is done.

Cards- Wilks is one and done.

Bucs- Koetter is done.

Could be done:

Bengals-  It's probably over for Marvin or is it?

Ravens- They say Harbaugh will coach in 2019 but could they trade him?

Steelers- If they miss the playoffs, will they decide it's time for the rare coaching change?

Jaguars-  They have severely regressed this year, don't see how Marone returns?

Panthers- They crashed after a good start. New owner may want his own coach. Rivera won't be unemployed long, if he gets fired.

Lions- Could Patricia be one and done?  This could be a surprise firing.

The Redskins should be on this list but I see Dan accepting the injury excuse and keeping both Bruce and Jay.

There should be at least 6 openings but it could go as high as 11. I think the Browns are the best opening available, even better than the Packers.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:18 PM, PokerPacker said:

Things in GB are still a bit... conflicty.

Associate Head Coach Winston Moss tweeted this today:

And then later:

Guess it's not just players who need to be taught to stay off twitter.

That sounds like a hot mess.  Would you trust McCarthy with another HC gig elsewhere?  What about OC/Playcaller?  Outside looking it looks like ya'lls front office picked Rodgers over McCarthy even though Rodgers was starting to become more insubordinate as the losing got worse.  But you would know probably better then the rest of us.