Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

2 hours ago, drowland said:

Well Baker Mayfield's completion % did go from 58% to 68% with Kitchens taking over the offense.  And their offense averaged 6.9 yards per play which was #1 in the league over that span.  

If Baker's your future I think you go with the guy who worked directly with him over a 60 year old DC who hasn't had a good defense since 2011.  

Oooorrrr..... You could hire Gregg, who had a good defense just this past year lol, who would presumably want to hire a good OC. An OC that he handpicked. It's been a while since he was a head coach, so the list of OCs that he's handpicked is pretty small. In fact, I can think of only one recently: Freddie Kitchens.

In other words:

6rZ8g8R.jpg

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Jets hiring Adam Gase. I think the only teams left now are dolphins and bengals? 

Rhule was their #1 choice, but they wanted to select how staff. He wanted to select his own staff, so they went with Gase.

It's good to know we aren't the only circus in the league.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Oooorrrr..... You could hire Gregg, who had a good defense just this past year lol, who would presumably want to hire a good OC. An OC that he handpicked. It's been a while since he was a head coach, so the list of OCs that he's handpicked is pretty small. In fact, I can think of only one recently: Freddie Kitchens.

In other words:

6rZ8g8R.jpg

26th ranked D is good?  They were good with turnovers, but there were issues with that D and he hasn’t had a top 10 D since 2011.  

Gregg did not hand pick Kitchens.  When Jackson and Haley were fired the GM and owner called Gregg and Freddie in and told them your the HC and you’re the OC.  

Gregg did a good job stearing the ship but be real.  A successful 2019 season for the Browns O and Kitchens would be snatched up.  Some teams reached out to Kitchens for HC interviews and the Browns blocked them.  Who was reaching out to interview Gregg for a HC gig?  No one.  The Browns have been his only interview.  Maybe the Bengals would be interested in him but not likely. 

5 hours ago, drowland said:

Some teams reached out to Kitchens for HC interviews and the Browns blocked them.  Who was reaching out to interview Gregg for a HC gig?  No one.  The Browns have been his only interview.  Maybe the Bengals would be interested in him but not likely. 

Teams contacted the Browns to seek permission to interview Kitchens for OC. By rule, the Browns couldn't block a HC interview, but they could for a lateral move.

Looks like he's cleaning out the staff; kept DeWayne Walker, who is a really good coach. I wonder where Gregg will land.

McCarthy really dodged a bullet by not getting that Jets gig, not as long as the current GM is in place. Avoid at all costs! I think he'll basically be able to choose his spot next off-season, depending on his real preferences (and putting together a solid staff on the defensive side of the ball). I'm not sold that it was really "Jets or bust" for him. I think he wanted that year off. 

Continuity in an offense for a young quarterback might be the most important thing for them. And if your OC made him that much more effective than the guy before... you need to keep that guy for your QB. Kitchens probably isn't the best HC fit for every team, but I think he's right for the Browns right now. In the NFL, you don't have time for a young QB to master yet another scheme, just in time for his contract to expire. You need to strike quickly.

He's also not a guy who was in football because his dad or uncle was a coach. He's self-made.

Good hire for the Browns, in my opinion.

Gregg is a blowhard who has burned countless bridges. Good DC from time to time, but not a leader of men. It takes more than yelling and puffing your man-boobs out.

He's never going to be a HC in this league again.

Edited by Hooper

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Gregg is a blowhard who has burned countless bridges. Good DC from time to time, but not a leader of men. It takes more than yelling and puffing your man-boobs out.

He's never going to be a HC in this league again.

But does he let his players fondle his man boobs? That’s the preferred method of coach-player interactions of the current head coach. 

• Haha 1

This whole Kingsbury thing is laughable to me now. He went into the two interviews with a pathetic list for his coaching staff, most of whom had no NFL experience, and the rest he had no relations to at all (didn't even know their names were on his list). No problem. Keim will fix it all. He (Keim) has decided what the base defense will be next year, and has also decided that the next DC should be a veteran coordinator who can help Kingsbury through the adjustments of being a first-time HC in the NFL. So they're hiring Joseph, who isn't a veteran DC by any stretch of the imagination, and whose game and team management were not the least bit laudable in Denver or in Miami in his previous role there.  That's going to be a disaster in AZ. Let's see how much time they give Kingsbury when he stinks it up next season. I have a feeling they'll be more patient than they were with Wilks. I think our Keim would do a much better job running a football team. In fact, I know he would.

We know the Bengals and Dolphins are waiting for thair new guys season to end.

Could there be a late change? Some owner just waiting for some coach's season to end, to see if they can hire him? If yes, they would fire their current coach and hire the new guy? Doubtful but you never know.

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We know the Bengals and Dolphins are waiting for thair new guys season to end.

Could there be a late change? Some owner just waiting for some coach's season to end, to see if they can hire him? If yes, they would fire their current coach and hire the new guy? Doubtful but you never know.

I remember when Gase was let go by the Fins that there were reports that Rex Ryan was calling assistants around the league and he was going to become the next HC there, then after the Ravens were eliminated by the Bolts that Harbaugh was going to land there and the Fins were going to give the Ravens a draft pick for his services.  Then as early as last week hearing the Fins were pretty much going to tank in 19’ so that way they could get a good pick for 2020... when the dust settles the LB coach Flores for the Pats will be the new HC there.  Honestly kinda has me thinking other then possibility Bill O’brien what other Pats assistant has really has any other success?  Romeo Crannell didn’t do anything, Josh McDaniel wasn’t anything in Denver the jury is still out on Matt Patricia and Mike Vrebel but early signs is that Patricia will be gone in Detroit with 2-3 season.

5 hours ago, zskins said:

Scott Linehan is out of Dallas after 5 years. Guess Jerry wasn't too happy about his offense not getting it done and reach the SB this year. 

I hope they don't hire Todd Haley. He would add some octane and aggressiveness to that offense, and wouldn't be as predictable as Linehan.

• 3 weeks later...

Packers - Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur

Cardinals- Hire for Texas Tech coach/current USC OC Kliff Kingsbury

Buccaneers- Hire former Cardinals Coach Bruce Arians.

Jets - Hire former Dolphins coach Adam Gase

Dolphins- Hire Pats LB Coach Brian Flores

Browns- Promote OC Freddie Kitchens

Broncos- Hire Bears DC Vic Fangio

Bengals- Hire Rams QB coach ZAc Taylor

So, we close the 2018 hiring season.  My final thoughts.

Packers - LaFleur's succcess depends on how healthy Aaron Rodgers is. If he stays healthy, maybe the Packers have one more Superbowl appearance before Aaron is done.

Cardinals - This has bust written all over it. A losing coach at Texas Tech, is really going to be any bettter in the NFL?

Buccaneers- Maybe he can turn the Bucs around and have them headed in the right direction before retiring for good. This seems like a short 2-3 year tenure.

Jets- He now has a QB, maybe Gase does a better job with the Jets

Dolphins-  Probably another bust with Flores. Bellichek's coaching tree has sucked.

Broncos- Fangio- depends on what he can get out of Keenan or getting another QB solution.

Bengals- Maybe the Bengals win a playoff game in his tenture.

Edited by Rdskns2000

My last post probably until the summer, a quick look at 2019's hot seat.

1.  Boys- Jason Garrett - His contract expires after the 2019 season. Rumors abound, Jerry will go after Sean Payton.  Boys probably need to be in NFC championship game for Jason to get another extension.

2. Skins- Jay Gruden- He's dead man walking.  If ther losses pile up early, everyone will know it. Only a playoff birth, sees a year 7 for him.

3. Vikings-  Mike Zimmer- Made a bet on Cousins. Another nonplayoff season and the Vikings probably move on.

4. Lions- Patricia better show marked improvement in year 2, or he's gone. Another Bellichek coaching tree bust. 

5. Falcons- Dan Quinn needs to return to the playoffs, or else he could be done.

6. Panthers- Rivera was allowed to return by new owner but a second non-playoff season and Rivera is probably done.

7. Jaguars- Doug Marone can't afford another bad season.  A new QB is what they need.

8. Steelers- Tomlin is in trouble if they don't make the playoffs. It's probably time for that rare coaching change in Pittsburgh.

The Saints could have an opening if Jerry makes a trade for Sean Payton.   If the Skins have an opening after the 2019 season, they are probably going to be near the bottom of potential job openings.

Edited by Rdskns2000

I keep hearing about all this talk that Jerry Jones will trade for Sean Payton, but I never hear a major part of it being explained: Why would the Saints agree to trade the head coach that took them to one ref-job away from the Super Bowl? Who do they have lined up that is guaranteed to be keep the team in Super Bowl contention while Brees is still in his prime?

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I keep hearing about all this talk that Jerry Jones will trade for Sean Payton, but I never hear a major part of it being explained: Why would the Saints agree to trade the head coach that took them to one ref-job away from the Super Bowl? Who do they have lined up that is guaranteed to be keep the team in Super Bowl contention while Brees is still in his prime?

Draft picks and cash. Saints need to draft for Breed eventual replacement.

19 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Draft picks and cash. Saints need to draft for Breed eventual replacement.

They could, but as long as they have Brees, they're on the cusp. They are never going to have a better opportunity than what they have now with Brees and Payton together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

They could, but as long as they have Brees, they're on the cusp. They are never going to have a better opportunity than what they have now with Brees and Payton together.

Their window is closing soon. Maybe one more shot.

The Pats will probably be in one more Superbowl before the Saints even get there.

• 3 weeks later...

So the Eagles are going to allow Foles to become a free agent.  Do the 'Skins make a run at him? The Alex Smith situation is a shadow hanging over the organization at the moment, it is hard to go out and throw a ton of money at a QB until they know for sure what Smith's future in football is.  

I am thinking Foles is likely going to get way overpaid by a team in desperate need.

On 2/27/2019 at 4:10 PM, NoCalMike said:

So the Eagles are going to allow Foles to become a free agent.  Do the 'Skins make a run at him? The Alex Smith situation is a shadow hanging over the organization at the moment, it is hard to go out and throw a ton of money at a QB until they know for sure what Smith's future in football is.  

I am thinking Foles is likely going to get way overpaid by a team in desperate need.

Wrong thread?  Or you think letting Foles go/someone over paying for him will put someone on the hot seat?

• Haha 1