Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

13 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Well, Hue is back with the Bengals. One thing's for sure -- the coaching fraternity takes care of its own.

Rumor is he is actually going to be the head coach next year.

Bengals, baby!

Maybe they can hire Mike Lombardi as GM so they can be a complete joke. 

Edited by Hooper

Going into week 11, the current hot seat by me:

These coaches are definitely gone:

1. Bucs: Dirk Koetter- Should've been fired, after losing to us. He's probably the next coach to be fired.

2. Jets: Todd Bowles- He's done after the season. 

3. Broncos: Vance Joseph - Elway bomb with that hire, will he get right next year?

4. Cards: Steve Wilks -  Probably a one and done, Cards are a joke.

Depends on how they finish:

1.  Cowboys: Jason Garrett - It should be puppet shopping time, when the Boys miss the playoffs again?  Or will Jerry keep his current puppet or will he hire a real coach?

2. Jags: Doug Marrone - The collaspe should cost Doug his job but they all decided to keep Blake Bortles.

3.  Ravens: John Harbaugh- owner already issued a playoff or else ultimatum. No playoffs, he's gone from Baltimore but would be hired somewhere else.

4.  Dolphins: Adam Gase-  They are at .500, if they collaspe he's probably done.

5.  Packers: Mike Mccarthy - Will a non-playoff birth for second straight year, finally get him the boot? 

6.  Skins: Jay Gruden - We are 6-3, he should be fine. A collaspe though and hes finally gone.

7.  Steelers: Mike Tomlin-  They have rebounded but if they flame out in the playoffs???  

4 hours ago, Hooper said:

Gruden and Tomlin on the hot seat... not a chance.

They aren't on the hot seat now but if Jay misses the playoffs, he will be fired.

If the Steelers are one and done in the playoffs, maybe the Steelers decide to move on? Probably not, but you never know.

Hold on tight: NFL coaching carousel's spin set to speed up in coming weeks

Edited by Rdskns2000

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

They aren't on the hot seat now but if Jay misses the playoffs, he will be fired.

If the Steelers are one and done in the playoffs, maybe the Steelers decide to move on? Probably not, but you never know.

Hold on tight: NFL coaching carousel's spin set to speed up in coming weeks

Jay gets fired he gets a HC job somewhere else immediately. Lots of respect for him around the league. Way more than Skins fans think.

Same thing for Tomlin, who has no chance of getting fired.

There is a big shortage of up and coming candidates. Hell, the Bengals might hire Hue Jackson to be their next HC.

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Anyone see the espn report of who the browns want to interview for head coach position? You might think it’s an Onion article, but no. No. It’s true. ???

I heard they came out and said they weren't looking at her to coach but wanted her in a leadership position in the organization. 

7 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I heard they came out and said they weren't looking at her to coach but wanted her in a leadership position in the organization. 

Yeah, I could see her being in some front office position. Not saying they should hire her, but it could happen. The coaching position. There is no way in the world that even the Browns would hire someone from outside the league with zero coaching experience for their head coaching job. Schefter got trolled bad on that one. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Gruden doesn’t get the team to the playoffs after 6-4, he’s done.  Even with the injury to Smith.  He has been so vocal about Colt, there’s no excuse.

That said, I think they win tomorrow and make the playoffs so I think he’s safe.

I'm having a hard time seeing Jay getting fired as long as Skins make it interesting.

And if he does get fired, he'll probably be the next HC of the Bengals. 

Also, it would be so Redskins to fire Jay -- who is actually respected around the league -- and not fire Bruce.

Come to think of it, if Colt plays well, Bruce should be fired. Because it sure sounds like Jay was more than happy to roll with Colt and Bruce was the one who went and got Smith and his massive contract.

52 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I'm having a hard time seeing Jay getting fired as long as Skins make it interesting.

Also, it would be so Redskins to fire Jay -- who is actually respected around the league -- and not fire Bruce.

Come to think of it, if Colt plays well, Bruce should be fired. Because it sure sounds like Jay was more than happy to roll with Colt and Bruce was the one who went and got Smith and his massive contract.

Half full building, no juice, no hype, blow a 2 game division lead with 6 games to go, everybody is getting fired.

Dan has remained patient for as long as he’s able giving this tandem 5 years to have any sort of real success.  

If they blow it now, they’re all cooked.

I don’t see Dan firing Jay and not Bruce.  It could happen but I think he’s had it with this boring approach which hasnt really produced results.  That is IF they bomb out.

If the Skins win the division,Jay stays. Bruce might/might not.

Bruce is Dan’s lackey. It will be hard for Dan to find another one without getting crushed by the fans and the media. The hiring of Bruce — who was completely done in the NFL — didn’t look ridiculously bad at the time because Shanny came with him and because Vinny was a complete joke and anybody else was seen as an upgrade. 

Dan is never going to hire someone truly in demand. He wants someone to let him be him. Because of this, Bruce has a ton of job security. 

Edited by Hooper

5 hours ago, Hooper said:

Marvin Lewis was resigned for 2 years. Mike Brown will not fire him, with a year left.  Odds are hue Jackson is the next coach.

15 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Marvin Lewis was resigned for 2 years. Mike Brown will not fire him, with a year left.  Odds are hue Jackson is the next coach.

I know. And that's insane. But if Jay becomes available and Marvin resigns, I think Mike Brown will have a much easier time selling Gruden to the fanbase than Hue Jackson. Hell, he'd have a easier time selling Condi Rice.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:45 PM, Hooper said:

I know. And that's insane. But if Jay becomes available and Marvin resigns, I think Mike Brown will have a much easier time selling Gruden to the fanbase than Hue Jackson. Hell, he'd have a easier time selling Condi Rice.

Gruden to Cincy to reunite with Dalton might be win-win for everybody.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:17 PM, Hooper said:

Bruce is Dan’s lackey. It will be hard for Dan to find another one without getting crushed by the fans and the media. The hiring of Bruce — who was completely done in the NFL — didn’t look ridiculously bad at the time because Shanny came with him and because Vinny was a complete joke and anybody else was seen as an upgrade. 

Dan is never going to hire someone truly in demand. He wants someone to let him be him. Because of this, Bruce has a ton of job security. 

That’s not entirely true.  Dan hired Marty back in the day after Marty said he would never work for Dan. 

He has pulled some rabbits out of his hat at times.  

We just have to hope he had the vision to hire the right person. 

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Gruden to Cincy to reunite with Dalton might be win-win for everybody.

That’s not entirely true.  Dan hired Marty back in the day after Marty said he would never work for Dan. 

He has pulled some rabbits out of his hat at times.  

We just have to hope he had the vision to hire the right person. 

:806::705::pint::drooley:

We all know that will never happen.  Once we move on from the current era, we got another 4-5 years before it's time for the next era.  All we can hope for, is that maybe one year; we just get real lucky and go on hot streak.   We all know, Snyder will never have a consistent winner.

We have just reach the time, where it's time for Dan to be participating on Black Monday with Bruce and Jay, being shown the door.

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

:806::705::pint::drooley:

We all know that will never happen.  Once we move on from the current era, we got another 4-5 years before it's time for the next era.  All we can hope for, is that maybe one year; we just get real lucky and go on hot streak.   We all know, Snyder will never have a consistent winner.

We have just reach the time, where it's time for Dan to be participating on Black Monday with Bruce and Jay, being shown the door.

As I said I’m another thread...

923D8BD9-C991-4C7A-9C3F-6C9B4D9098BC.jpeg.2ce661d024c4b6d0f568662e98b26c01.jpeg

All we know is what Snyder has done to this point.  We don’t know what he could do going forward.  

He might just get lucky. He might have learned something.  Or he might not have.  We won’t know until after the season most likely. 

Which is more likely the cause of the Packers struggles? A Super Bowl winning Head Coach who has only missed the playoffs one time since 2009 and that was when dealing with a flurry of injuries, not the least of which being to his QB for the majority of the season, or a first year GM that cut one of the QB's favorite targets to sign a TE who underperformed, did not adequately fill the void at RG leading to a lot of interior pressure disrupting the passing game further, and sent two pro-bowl safeties packing without bringing in a suitable replacement (and only managed to get a 4th round pick out of them).

Color me thoroughly unimpressed with Gutekunst's first season as GM.  Seems to have drafted some decent players (thanks in part to Ted Thompson hoarding picks, especially bringing in compensatory selections which Gutekunst seems to have no interest in receiving as he'd rather make moves in free agency just to make moves), but he failed to keep the team competitive and is scapegoating McCarthy.

Edited by PokerPacker

@PokerPacker I think the HC gets fired for too often when the GM is often actually the one to blame.  

35 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm calling it: McCarthy goes to the Browns, who think he can turn Baker Mayfield into the next Aaron Rodgers. What happens to Gregggg, I don't know, but I don't think McCarthy works out there.

I agree he will go to the Browns.  And I think he will do well there.  Meanwhile the Packers will underwhelm and regret picking their GM over their HC.  I think William's goes back to DC (the position, not the city though I was it were the other way around. ).  I don't get a HC vibe from him.

• Like 1