Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

17 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Denver fired their OC, that won't do much. Joseph has good shot of being one and done.

Bowles needs to finish strong, a double digit losing season and he's done.

Koetter is on the way out, Bucs have been a major disappointment. Rumors are Chucky returns.

Caldwell got an extension during the offseason apparently. He has Lions in playoff hunt, he's returning.

Del Rio is on the hot seat but not 100% sure he's gone.

Lewis's contract expires at the end of the season; doubtful Brown gives him a new one.

Can't disagree strongly with most of your assessments. 

Yeah, I thought Joseph early in the season was safe no matter what just because he's a rookie.  But, I have to think Elway can't live with a coach that has his team look so ill-prepared and unmotivated. 

Firing Bowles would be crazy IMO.  He's outperformed expectations this season, but crazier things have happened.

You are probably right about Caldwell, especially since they seem to be surging lately. 

del Rio's team looks awful.  Not their "fault" there was  high expectations for them, but they are screwing up a chance to win the NFCW b/c it doesn't seem the Chiefs want to.

Lewis should be gone, but he's kind of like Jeff Fisher and "What about Bob".  ("He's not gone....he's NEVER gone!")

Hue is a pretty good OC, but a nut as HC. No team with any sense would ever hire him in that capacity. Stands to reason that the Browns did. The Jets need to get Bowles some players. I'm telling you now that a killer combination would be Cavanaugh as HC, Bowles as DC........not as far-fetched as some might think, and if I'm a GM I call MC this off-season and gauge interest.

The G-Men were in a holding pattern; that's all McAdoo has been there for. Dude has never been their choice for a long-term HC. They're waiting for their guy to either become available or make himself available.

Bucs -- show the same (im)patience with Koetter shown to Lovie. No excuses; he's simply not HC material. I'd like to see Marvin have a graceful exit from Cincinnati. He wanted to retire at the end of the 2015-2016 season ago, but didn't want to walk away with the stink of that final playoff game as the final reminder of his legacy with the Bengals. I'm really curious to see who takes over in Indy, and who would actually want to work for Irsay.

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

I'm telling you now that a killer combination would be Cavanaugh as HC, Bowles as DC........not as far-fetched as some might think, and if I'm a GM I call MC this off-season and gauge interest.

What makes you think Cavanaugh is a good HC? It's the first time he's been an NFL OC in 13 years and he's been absolutely average, with most of our noticeable offensive successes/failures being attributed to Gruden. I don't see anything in Cavanaugh that says head coach material.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

What makes you think Cavanaugh is a good HC? It's the first time he's been an NFL OC in 13 years and he's been absolutely average, with most of our noticeable offensive successes/failures being attributed to Gruden. I don't see anything in Cavanaugh that says head coach material.

I view him as a more seasoned and experienced Doug Peterson. Pair him with a strong DC of his choosing, and it could be a very good combination. My ol' crystal ball has been wrong before; just something I've been tossing around in my head the last few months. You could be right that he's not HC material, but I would take him over Gruden every day of the week. I don't think that he's really our OC, btw, at least not in the traditional functional terms for that role. There are some in the league who wonder if he actually wants to be HC, but think that he'd be a very good one. Some covet becoming a principal; others relish the role of teacher and stay there for their entire careers.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, Boss_Hogg said:

I can see Jay Gruden's seat getting warm if the Skins **** the bed thursday night. 

LOL.....After THIS Thursday's (tonight's) debacle, someone on PFT tweeted that Gruden's name might be added to the Black Monday list 

Teams with Openings 

1.  New York Giants - Fired McAdoo..

Sizzling Hot 

1.  Browns - Hue Jackson.  No way he survives the NFL's second 16 game, winless season.

2.  Bears - John Fox - Third coach stint wasn't the charm.

3.  Colts - Chuck Pagano - A possible in season firing.

Very Warm 

4.  Bucs - Dirk Koetter - Complete failure. He's done.

5.  Broncos - Vance Joseph - Probably, one and done. Can't imagine him getting a reprive.

6.  Bengals - Marvin Lewis. Contract is up, doubtful he gets an extension. Brown can make a change and he owes Marvin nothing.

Mild 

7.  Cards - Bruce Arians - I don't see a firing, but a retirement.

Other Possibilities 

Jets -  Todd Bowles - he has them fighting and they have won more than expected. He probably gets reprive.

Raiders - Jack Del Rio - They are making a late surge. That might be enough for Del Rio to come back but, Raiders have severely underperformed this year.

Dolphins -  Adam Gase - It may not be working.  Probably returns but disappointing season could doom him.

Texans - Bill O'brien - Losing their promising rookie QB derailed their season. You can't blame that on the coach. If there's a surprise coaching change; the Texans would be it.

Cowboys - Jason Garrett -  Until they beat us, they were horrible without Elliot.  Jason probably returns but you never know. Maybe Jerry needs a new puppet. 

Redskins - Jay Gruden -  Injuries this season gives him plenty of excuses. Still, if the Skins finish 6-10 or 5-11; Snyder may can him. After all, Snyder has never had a coach make it to year 5.

I think we could see at least 8 openings/coaching changes.  This year seems like a year when alot of teams will make changes. I edited my post to include McAdoo's firing.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Thanks 1

I think Bowles is safe, the Jets play their tails off for him. People in the preseason were picking them to win 1-2 games all year. I also think the thursday win saved Garrett's job. He is Jerry's puppet, Giants next week gets them to 7-6 and Zeke returning gives them life.

The top 4 on your list are definitely gone, no idea why Denver thought Vance Joseph was a good hire, I believe his Dolphins D was ranked in the 25-30 last year when he got the job.

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Anybody think Jim Schwartz gets another shot this off-season? There are gonna be a TON of opportunities, and given his success in Detroit and what he has the Eagles D doing, I guess he warrants a long, hard look. Tampa, Cincy, or Chicago would be my guesses.

If Gruden gets the axe, you could possibly add Washington to that list. 

I do think that Schwartz will definitely get a look this off season.