The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Going into the Final Day of games, here's how the Hiring/Firing Line looks:

Teams with Openings

1.  Rams

2.  Jaguars

3.  Bills

Teams about to Fire Coaches

1.  49ers: Chip Kelly - To be fired today or on Black Monday.

2.  Bears: John Fox - Third time isn't the charm. Bears will clean house.

3.  Chargers: Mike Mccoy - With the team probably moving to L.A. next year; need exciting new coach.

4.  Jets: Todd Bowles -  The Jets are a mess.  It maybe it for him, after only 2 years.

5.  Browns: Hue Jackson - 1-15 still may get him fired. 2 picks in the Top 10, critical they make right decision..

6.  Bengals: Marvin Lewis -  It could finally be it for him. Bengals need a new coach, to get over that hump.

Potential surprise changes:

7.  Colts: Chuck Pagano - Despite his new contract; Colts have been underwhelming. Irsay may cut ties and move on.

8.  Packers: Mike Mccarthy - If the Packers don't make the playoffs, maybe a change occurs here?

9.  Saints: Sean Peyton -  It maybe time to move on, giving him the contract extension probably wasn't worth it.

10. Broncos: Gary Kubiak- Rumors are he resigns.

11.  Ravens: John Harbaugh- 3 out of 4 non-playoff seasons. That Superbowl win is fading. Definitely on next years hot seat.

Some rumors say Cardinal's Bruce Arians may retire.  Viking's Mike Zimmer had his OC quit in the season and then had mutiny among his defense.

Interesting that you have McCarthy on there. I also think that it's time for him to move on from GB. Depending on the new GM for the 49ers, maybe he'll end up returning to the Bay Area?

Kubiak might well retire, and remain with the team in some official capacity in the front office. An ideal situation for Kyle?

I really like Marvin Lewis, but I don't think the Bengals will move any further with him. The ownership loves him and will be loyal, but what happens if a potential candidate surfaces in the midst all of these potential openings? Does Mike Brown make a move? Does Marvin simply retire?

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Is it too obvious that if Kubiak retires they look toward Kyle Shanahan? The Kubiak and Shanahan offenses have always been so similar I think it makes sense. But that's a pretty veteran heavy team, they may want someone with more cache and experience to step into and lead them

It's not too obvious.  It makes sense, especially since Kyle and Elway know each other.  Wasn't Kyle on the sidelines a lot when Elway was playing for pops?

On 1/1/2017 at 1:57 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

5th update at 4:25pm on 1/11/17.

Teams with Openings

1.  Rams

2.  Chargers

3.  49ers

Teams' new hires

1. Jaguars- Promoted Doug Marrone to head coach.

2. Broncos- Hired Dolphins DC Vance Joseph as coach. 

3. Bills- Hired Panthers DC Sean McDermott

Still think could be an opening soon.

Edited by Rdskns2000

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

To the team but to everyone else, it will be later today.

Hope his health stays good in his retirement.

Well, it's official now.

I've updated the list. It is 3 posts back from this one.  Looks like 4 hot seat coaches got a reprive:  Hue Jackson, Todd Bowles, Mike Zimmer and John Fox. Still could change.  We have 6 openings - 5 firings and 1 resignation as of 11am.  I think there will be a couple of more changes at least in the next week or two.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Shouldn't Jim Caldwell be on the potential surprise list?  The Lions GM didn't hire Caldwell and there have been talks he might bring in his own hire or possibly promote one of their coordinators.  Not sure if the Lions backing into the playoffs changes anything.  Especially if they get blown out in Seattle.

7 hours ago, drowland said:

Shouldn't Jim Caldwell be on the potential surprise list?  The Lions GM didn't hire Caldwell and there have been talks he might bring in his own hire or possibly promote one of their coordinators.  Not sure if the Lions backing into the playoffs changes anything.  Especially if they get blown out in Seattle.

Jim was on the fire list at one point but I think he bought himself another year.  It's Detroit after all, not that high expectations there.

On 1/2/2017 at 6:59 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Jim was on the fire list at one point but I think he bought himself another year.  It's Detroit after all, not that high expectations there.

True, on the outside looking in the Lions seemed to have exceeded expectations making the playoffs.  However GM Bob Quinn came over from NE last year.  He inherited Caldwell.  And from what I've read he hasn't publically said Caldwell is safe, just that it wasn't a playoffs or else kinda deal for him. He might go for McDaniels or Patricia.  Or he might follow the same trend as the Giants and Bucs and promote his OC if other teams try to interview Cotter.  Stafford's having his best year and they might not want to lose that.  

***nevermind I see the Lions announced today Caldwell will be back****

Edited by drowland

If I were a GM, I wouldn't touch any of those Patriots assistants with a 10-foot pole. Those guys are all fool's gold. They're all overrated, and always have been. My guess/hope is that Quinn is smart enough to know that, as are other GMs. I guess we'll soon find out.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Jaguars expected to make Doug Marrone their full time head coach. Yeah. Good luck with that ?? if I was a Jaguars fan I'd be drinking right about now...

It's the Jags, noone really cares.  Look like Tom Coughlin, their first head coach, will be hired as an executive also.

I keep on reading about Bill Obrien leaving the Texans after their season ends this Sunday. He won't be fired but he could be traded.

Updated my list again.

The 2017 Hot Seat is going to be long. Some coaches saved their butts for this year but next year maybe their last chances. Other coaches are making changes but no excuses if they fail in 2017. Jay Gruden would be in that category.

Edited by Rdskns2000

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It's the Jags, noone really cares.  Look like Tom Coughlin, their first head coach, will be hired as an executive also.

I keep on reading about Bill Obrien leaving the Texans after their season ends this Sunday. He won't be fired but he could be traded.

Unless he was the top campaigner for BO (ironic those are his initials, right? :) ), I'm not sure why the Texans would want him gone.  He's done well there, all things considered.

13 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Unless he was the top campaigner for BO (ironic those are his initials, right? :) ), I'm not sure why the Texans would want him gone.  He's done well there, all things considered.

The buzz is, he doesn't get along with GM.   BO wasn't his decision.

17 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Jaguars expected to make Doug Marrone their full time head coach. Yeah. Good luck with that ?? if I was a Jaguars fan I'd be drinking right about now...

I think Marrone's a good choice for them.  He had the Bills headed in the right direction.  And I don't blame him for getting out of his contract in Buffalo.  Doug Whaley is an incompetent GM who's done a nice job sucking up to the new ownership in Buffalo.  He forced the EJ Manuel pick on Marrone and then blamed coaching for Manuel's struggles.  

• Like 1

Bills hire Sean McDermott as HC.   He was the Panther's HC the last few seasons.

So 2 drop: Broncos and Bills.  What does it all means?

1. I never thought Kyle was going to Denver.  You hire Kyle, he's got to win 2 SBs in Denver like his dad did.  It's too much pressure for everybody. 

2. Wade is most likely out in Denver, though you never know.  When Tomlin was hired as HC in Pittsburgh, he kept Dick Lebeau even though they ran different schemes and Tomlin was a defensive guy. It's unlikely they retain Wade, but it wouldn't be the first time if it happened.

3. Wilks might be in line to be the DC in Carolina.  Which most likely is a more appealing job to him than the DC here. 

4. Kyle's best chance at a HC gig now is probably SF. 

5. It seems unlikely that either McDermott or Joseph goes after one of the DCs that we are targetting, with the possible exception of Wade in Denver.

6. I personally think that Wade is going to end up in LA or Oakland.  LA makes all the sense in the world, it's a talented defense, and the weather is nice.  Oakland, assuming Carr comes back healthy, if you can squeeze anything out of that defense, you've got a contender. I don't see Wade in SF or here. 

7. I think McVay is the LA coach, and Kyle is the SF coach. 

I don't know what this means to Bradley, who has apparently hitched his wagon to somebody (I can't remember who...).  but if I read it correctly, the only 2 viable HC openings where he could land as a DC are SF and LA. 

Interesting times.