Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

10 minutes ago, RonPaul said:

Tanoh Kappasagnon looks like an ideal 5 tech who could be had in the 3rd.  6'7" 288 very athletic and tremendous potential, any thoughts on him

He's extremely physically talented.  Somewhere early Day 3 is my guess.  He's raw.  He's got no instincts, he's got no real moves, certainly nothing that's refined.  He played at Villanova which is an FCS team, against mostly FCS competition.

Best you can hope for with him is a special teamer in the first 2 years, and then see if he's developed enough to contribute in year 3 or 4.  Ideally you stash these guys on the practice squad, but with his measurables he's probably a healthy scratch for awhile so nobody else can poach him.

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

1) Billy Brown is massive for a WR.  254 lbs?  Damn!  Avery Moss checks all of the boxes for measurables so far. 

2) No idea what to think about that OT's measurables, maybe we're looking for a new long snapper or something?

1 - yes...first thing i thought as well........possible TE/H-back/hybrid?

2 - OG?

Even Guards have longer arms than 31 and 5/8ths inches.  Our o-line for comparison.

Shawn Lauvao - 33 inches

Spencer Long - 33 and 1/8th inches

Brandon Scherff - 33 and 3/8ths inches

Trent Williams - W/o looking up, I think he's 34 and 1/4th

Morgan Moses - I think he's longer than 35 if memory serves.

McCloughan also drafted Arie Kouandjio who has an arm length of 34 and 1/8th.  Austin Reiter doesn't have an arm length that I can find.

If that PFF article is accurate and OJ Howard is best run blocking TE, I think it is reasonable to snag him in 1st. Given Pauls is likely done, Davis maybe has a year or 2 tops and Reed's injuries and lack of run blocking it makes a lot of sense.

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

If that PFF article is accurate and OJ Howard is best run blocking TE, I think it is reasonable to snag him in 1st. Given Pauls is likely done, Davis maybe has a year or 2 tops and Reed's injuries and lack of run blocking it makes a lot of sense.

With all of our needs a TE is a luxury 1st round pick we can't afford.  We need a 1st rounder at safety, I (or M ;->) LB, and DT.  With a class reputedly as deep as it is reputed, we can get our TE in later rounds.

20 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

With all of our needs a TE is a luxury 1st round pick we can't afford.  We need a 1st rounder at safety, I (or M ;->) LB, and DT.  With a class reputedly as deep as it is reputed, we can get our TE in later rounds.

They have different qualities.  A lot of the other TE's are awful blockers and some show a complete lack of interest in being physical with defenders.  I think we either draft OJ Howard early, or go after a UDFA guy.

12 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

They have different qualities.  A lot of the other TE's are awful blockers and some show a complete lack of interest in being physical with defenders.  I think we either draft OJ Howard early, or go after a UDFA guy.

Wasn't Andy Heck (Frost Jr. High, yo) a TE in college who was converted to an OT?  Let's find an OT who used to be a TE and convert him back.  There's your blocking TE/safety valve.

Kiper just did his first mock.  He had Adams going #4 and the Redskins take Malik Hooker at #17.  I haven't seen M. Hooker that far down the draft in any mocks.

Among the players discussed here a lot: Solomon Thomas at #9.  Foster #11.  Cook #12. McKinkey #15.  Peppers #16 -- before Hooker. Jarrad Davis #22.  Malik Mcdowell #24.  Budda Baker #25.  Cunningham out of the first round.

I don't think much of Kiper as a judge of talent.  But Kiper had admitted much of his mocks are simply driven by sources he has to teams-scouts.    So his mocks usually aren't a mile off.   But its still early in the process.  I've wondered about Davis versus Cunningham especially post combine where I am guessing Davis will outshine him physically.

You know, this may be weird.  But I kind of like Solomon Thomas more than Jonathan Allen.  Allen seems to be a really good fundamental player, he has good technique already, but isn't imposing.  Isn't dominant.  Doesn't have any ability where you say, "Wow, that's something not everyone can do".  He's talked about as the 2nd overall pick.  Yet there's no skill or physical trait I can pinpoint and say, that's why he's the 2nd overall pick.  He's going to be able to come in Day 1, and play in a DL rotation.  He's versatile, but not extremely so.  Watching his cutup Vs Washington, Alabama used him on the Edge more than Stanford used Solomon Thomas, which is surprising.  Thomas also lines up at the 1 technique more than Allen does, which is surprising.

He's a little small at 290 lbs, needs to get bigger for the NFL.  I don't think his agility is elite, so adding more weight might make his game suffer.  One thing I don't like is how Guards or Tackles will let him swim over them then shove him out of the play.  He doesn't have the burst to evade that shove, the anchor/power to withstand it, or the agility to redirect and get back into his lane when the RB cuts back into it.

I don't understand how he's 2nd overall.  He looks consistently good against college o-lineman.  Is he going to keep that up against NFL o-lineman?  I don't know.

For example, the "undersized" but 10 lbs heavier Aaron Donald went somewhere in the low-mid teens overall.  Aaron Donald's tape was freakish.  There's nothing about Johnathan Allen that says freakish.  Just fundamentally solid.  He's the in his 30's Tim Duncan of the DT Draft Class.  Except if Tim Duncan was 6'8 instead of 7'0.

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kiper just did his first mock.  He had Adams going #4 and the Redskins take Malik Hooker at #17.  I haven't seen M. Hooker that far down the draft in any mocks.

So I guess we should take this as a sign that Hooker is very much in their cross hairs?

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So I guess we should take this as a sign that Hooker is very much in their cross hairs?

I don't take it that literally, its more in line of people he's talking to as for where players are ranked versus which teams they are going to.   But Hooker is the one outlier that jumps out to me among his other choices which don't seem out of step with other mocks.

As for what player is going where I think mocks are meaningless especially this early in the process. 

21 hours ago, RonPaul said:

Tanoh Kappasagnon looks like an ideal 5 tech who could be had in the 3rd.  6'7" 288 very athletic and tremendous potential, any thoughts on him

20 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He's extremely physically talented.  Somewhere early Day 3 is my guess.  He's raw.  He's got no instincts, he's got no real moves, certainly nothing that's refined.  He played at Villanova which is an FCS team, against mostly FCS competition.

Best you can hope for with him is a special teamer in the first 2 years, and then see if he's developed enough to contribute in year 3 or 4.  Ideally you stash these guys on the practice squad, but with his measurables he's probably a healthy scratch for awhile so nobody else can poach him.

We already have our own Tanoh Kpassagnon. His name is Anthony Lanier

2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Is TE a luxury pick?  Remember, one of our biggest issues this year was the red zone. Another huge issue was Reed not being 100% down the stretch and w We may be losing our best threats to score outside the red zone.  If we'd just been marginally better in the offensive RZ, we might have been the winner in all but two of our losses and our tie might also have been a win.  We also know we that Cousins likes his TEs and that much of our ball control tactics are based around short passes to TEs.  Finally, we know that the guy who runs the draft is a BPA guy and won't reach in the first round.

OJ Howard would not be a "luxury" pick.  At this point, there's no such thing on this team.  Pretty much every position had issues whereby bringing in a top-talented player to compete would be a fantastic idea.  Yes...even Reed, or Cousins....OT is about the only position we're ok at for now, & i'm certain we could debate that for a while too.

Factor in that Howard comes into the NFL as one of the best blocking TEs from day 1, combined with our Red Zone woes, & it should definitely be of no surprise if he is high on our boards as BPA.

Also...piggybacking on Kiper's statement on this year's draft...& we've kinda been saying it all along, this is a spectacular year for defensive prospects.

By that reasoning every position on every team has issues.

There are positions that are 10x the need of TE, it would be very unwise to neglect them for a third straight offseason.

If this truly is a spectacular year for defensive prospects, then man, 8 picks should yield us a lot of talent for that defense for years to come.

If you thought people were upset with using our 1st rounder on a potential stud WR instead of addressing our defensive line issues last year, just wait until we pick a TE this year...

McClu is generally a BPA guy, but has drafted by need as well.
When considering the fact that he's known for assembling top tier defenses while our D is currently in the "atrocious" category, I'd bet a pretty penny that our 1st round pick is reserved for the defensive BPA.

I dunno. I wouldn't mind an offensive guy for the first pick if we made several quality defensive FA acquisitions. The Howard kid would get no argument from me

It's pretty much accepted now that Reed cannot be counted on for 16+ games. David played well enough, but who knows where he'll be come TC time. He's getting up there. Paul can no longer stay healthy either. Howard gives you another athletic weapon to take advantage of the middle of the field (Kirk's strength), and add a bigger body for rz offense. I'd welcome the pick.

I am all about O.J. at 17. 

I'm tired of watching Reed dog it in blocking and having to change personnel every time we want to run it.

Not to even mention his injury history. He's one hit from out of football.

A great TE who doesn't think he's still a WR is a huge need on offense. Maybe the biggest.

Cowboys have two things I've always envied. Witten and Lee.

I think a dark horse position that might be addressed is corner, especially in the 2nd round  The draft is insanely loaded at the position.    Scot likes to draft corners throughout his drafting history.   Breeland had a tough year.  And if you judge by PFF (who are hit and miss) and Cooley its a code red position. PFF had Breeland ranked as basically a train wreck this season and in their initial post season draft articles stressed corner as the main position of need. 

Cooley when he did his end of the year assessment as for what needs to change in 2017 highlighted the 2nd corner big time.  He said he likes Breeland and hopes he bounces back.  But he more or less said during some of his film study during the season that Qb's at times barely would even look at Norman because they knew he was good but they can beat Breeland like a drum.  

Not saying Cooley is the be all and end all but for what its worth, he thought the D line and MLBs need upgrades and weren't good but at the same time not terrible.  He thought what made the defense look like a laughing stock was safety, nickel corner and whomever was playing the 2nd corner spot who was usually Breeland.

The Giants IMO climb this season was partly by adding another shut down corner next to Cromartie.  I think in theory, many of us thought we'd have two shut down corners too but that ended up a mile off.   

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Among the players discussed here a lot: Solomon Thomas at #9.  Foster #11.  Cook #12. McKinkey #15.  Peppers #16 -- before Hooker. Jarrad Davis #22.  Malik Mcdowell #24.  Budda Baker #25.  Cunningham out of the first round.

I don't think much of Kiper as a judge of talent.  But Kiper had admitted much of his mocks are simply driven by sources he has to teams-scouts.    So his mocks usually aren't a mile off.   But its still early in the process.  I've wondered about Davis versus Cunningham especially post combine where I am guessing Davis will outshine him physically.

Id take it!

On 1/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Sure he's raw, but a 3rd rounder with his physical attributes would get scooped up in 2 seconds

On 1/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If he goes Day 3 it's early within the day. The whole level of competition thing doesn't really have the same "mystique" that it used to. We just saw an FCS QB play FCS competition and go #2. Tanoh is going to be really good 

Archived