Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

I'm not sure how I feel about Malik McDowell. He has so little production rushing the passer. Obviously, hie size is great, and his athleticism really pops in his highlight tapes. I wouldn't be a big fan of choosing a guy at 17 that hasn't produced on the college level.

I've seen very little on the board about Taco Charleton. Similar size to McDowell, but had 9.5 sacks this year. He looks less athletic than McDowell in his movements, but Kiper now has Charleton above McDowell on his big board. 

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18455035/mel-kiper-nfl-draft-2017-big-board-movers-shakers-2016-college-football-bowl-season

On 1/13/2017 at 5:38 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think most of this board would be happy with McDowell at #17.  I think he needs to gain more weight than Solomon Thomas despite being 5 lbs heavier.  He makes me uneasy.

I would not be happy with McDowell at 18

On 1/13/2017 at 7:37 PM, clskinsfan said:

I am finished with tape on LB's and Safety. Keep in mind these rankings are only based on tape review. Things could change up until the draft. (ie Combine)  And once again I do this for fun. My opinion means absolutely nothing. DL and Edge are next.  Here are my top 10 at each position:

Edit: After looking at some tape of the DL. That position is SO DEEP in this draft. That I am going to just do DT and DE next. I will follow up after that with Edge and CB.

LB

Reuben Foster

Zach Cunningham

Jarrad Davis

Raekwon Mcmillan

TJ Watt

Kendell Beckwith

Elijah Lee

Richie Brown

Ben Boulware

Ben Gedeon

Safety

Jamaal Adams (by a wide margin)

Justin Evans

Malik Hooker

Marcus Williams

Obi Melifonwu

Budda Baker

Jabrill Peppers

Marcus Maye

Eddie jackson

Fish Smithson

I would be upset with McDowell in the first.  Also, Malik Hooker and Jamal Adams are neck and neck imo.  Adams if you want a SS and Hooker at FS.  The rumors are that Su'a will be moving to SS for us so I would be definitely more interested in Hooker.

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Peppers tackles well and for me, when it comes to LB and S, that's HUGE. Nothing worse than seeing someone get dragged 4-5 yards, hanging on for dear life.

And can we start looking ahead to 2020, because I can't stop watching footage of Houston's Ed Oliver.

Peppers may well be BPA when we pick. If that is the case, I honestly think we might be in a better position to change back to a 4-3 and field an D. Kerrigan, Baker, Murphy and Preston are all decent 4-3 starters. Cravens at SS. Peppers at Will. 

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I do think DT and ILB are our bigger needs but I love Peppers' versatility and I think he could succeed at FS on this team. He was always around the ball and was a big help with Scribling when he was in the game for Michigan. 

I agree with you about team needs. I just think there is a good chance that Peppers is there at 17, and not a great chance that a similar caliber ILB or DT/DE is available. BPA and adjust the scheme to fit your talent. 

I will also say however, that both of our OLB's probably fit better as 4-3 DE's, and that Baker could also easily fit. A Bradley coordinated 4-3 with Peppers and Norman could be flexible and scary, similar maybe to Sherman and Chancellor. Although, we have no Earl Thomas. 

Just watched Malik McDowell and Dalvin Cooks vids and cut ups.  I just don't see how we can go wrong in the first round as far as defensive talent goes.  Dalvin Cook is one of the best college rbs I've seen on tape.  I actually would love to have him.  Shame our defense is in such a state of need.

If Peppers fell to us I hope we would run to the podium to draft him. Like others said if we are a 4/3 defense then we can have a above average Defensive line with Kerrigan, Baker, Murphy and Smith. Then Peppers at Will and Cravens at SS. Our DBs are solid. All we would need then is FS, ILB, LG and RB. Possibly need a WR but that would be icing on the cake. After that it's just a few solid back ups at a couple positions and this team is built to win now and young at most positions. That's if we sign Cousins or use the tag on him again. I think paying him whatever he wants is the best answer. He's the best QB we have had since I have been a fan and the type of man you can be proud to have as the leader of your team. 

19 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

If Peppers fell to us I hope we would run to the podium to draft him. Like others said if we are a 4/3 defense then we can have a above average Defensive line with Kerrigan, Baker, Murphy and Smith. Then Peppers at Will and Cravens at SS. Our DBs are solid. All we would need then is FS, ILB, LG and RB. Possibly need a WR but that would be icing on the cake. After that it's just a few solid back ups at a couple positions and this team is built to win now and young at most positions. That's if we sign Cousins or use the tag on him again. I think paying him whatever he wants is the best answer. He's the best QB we have had since I have been a fan and the type of man you can be proud to have as the leader of your team. 

That would be a terrible defensive line.  Unless we plan to play Peppers and Cravens at safety, someone else can take him.  We need some bangers up front.

On 1/14/2017 at 2:20 PM, Redskins Reparations said:

Tanoh Kpassagnon would be an excellent draft pick and fit a desperate need as a 3-4 DE who excels as a runs topper and pass rusher. I have seen some analysts expecting him to be drafted as high as the 2nd round.

I mentioned him a while ago to deaf ears 

3 hours ago, cleibo2 said:

That would be a terrible defensive line.  Unless we plan to play Peppers and Cravens at safety, someone else can take him.  We need some bangers up front.

That's not a terrible D line. Baker can be a beast at DT. Smith and Kerrigan at DE and Mirphy backing up at DE. One more solid DT either in the draft or more likely in free agency and that's a solid line.

On 1/14/2017 at 2:54 PM, redskindan07 said:

I'd like to see Kpassagnon play against some good competition to get a better idea of his talent. He looks good in his highlight real though  

Agreed. Interest on how he does in the Combine and Pro Days later this year. Did enjoy the highlight reel on Bryon cox Jr. that I clicked on afterwards.

Two interesting prospects at de for the later rounds

One thing you can bet on is that Scott will make signings in Free Agency that fill our areas we deem "needs" as much as possible.  I fully anticipate Scott signing 3-5 quality defensive players in free agency so ultimately he can follow his draft philosophy to take the best player available.  Whether its a defensive player or a player like RB Dalvin Cook....

you heard it here first.

If Dalvin Cook is available and Reuben Foster is off the board, the Redskins better take Cook. How exciting would it be to have technically two rookies (Doctson & Cook) tearing it up out there like they were in college for us next season. I believe Kirk is the long term solution, and hope they lock him up but if things go to hell with his contract, whoever would be our quarterback would have a nice core for many years to come. Not including one of the best offensive lines in the league, that could be arguably the best if they added a pro bowl caliber left guard or center in the near future. 

7 hours ago, H-O-G said:

One thing you can bet on is that Scott will make signings in Free Agency that fill our areas we deem "needs" as much as possible.  I fully anticipate Scott signing 3-5 quality defensive players in free agency so ultimately he can follow his draft philosophy to take the best player available.  Whether its a defensive player or a player like RB Dalvin Cook....

you heard it here first.

We've heard a bunch of times from different sources.  So I think so, too.  Having said that, we've also heard a heavy emphasis on defense in the draft -- but I doubt he boxes himself to draft according to need.

Archived