Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

So we (sort of) agree on my BPA on defense proposal in that it's possible that an O player and D player within same tier are avail and we go with D because of the need. Therefore, we are still adhering to a basic BPA construct but also recognizing need in addition.

Correct.  Say we've got both McCaffrey and McDowell on the board at our pick and they're both tier one players of very similar grades (including the intangible stuff hypotheticall speaking).  In this case I would use position to break the tie and go with McDowell over McCaffrey.  DT > RB because they are much harder to find and we have an opening on our roster for a young DT to come in and thrive.

But I'm going to point out that the list of names I gave you are guys who I think should be ranked in a higher tier than Foster.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But I'm going to point out that the list of names I gave you are guys who I think should be ranked in a higher tier than Foster.

Agree with those names that I recognize on that list (there are many I do not).

Speaking in practical terms, most of them are likely to be gone before we pick, though.

What I have see so far in mock drafts;  Malik McDowell and Solomon Thomas are there at #17.  Obviously this will change as time goes on.  I don't think Malik Hoooker or Adams will be there at #17.  Second round maybe Justin Evans, Budda Baker or Eddie Jackson (broken leg where does he fall).  Cunningham hasn't declared yet.  SBNation did draft Foster at 17, I just don't know which Id like better; McDowell, Thomas or Foster.  The 17 spot could get difficult if a playmaker on offense is available; like a Cook but we need players on D

3 minutes ago, amm0409 said:

What I have see so far in mock drafts;  Malik McDowell and Solomon Thomas are there at #17.  Obviously this will change as time goes on.  I don't think Malik Hoooker or Adams will be there at #17.  Second round maybe Justin Evans, Budda Baker or Eddie Jackson (broken leg where does he fall).  Cunningham hasn't declared yet.  SBNation did draft Foster at 17, I just don't know which Id like better; McDowell, Thomas or Foster

Solomon Thomas and then one of those 3 safeties in the 2nd would be glorious. I could see a good ILB being available in rounds 3-4 as well 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'd pass on Boulware. I've had enough of the Charlie hustle try hards that don't bring the elite measurables. 

Not trying to single you out since a lot of the other posters feel the same way as you, but I think when you guys are making statements like this that you are looking at Boulware without considering draft value.  The question isn't just "do we want Ben Boulware?" it's "do we want Ben Boulware in the seventh round?"

Or put more directly: "is Boulware a good value in the seventh round?"

IMO the answer is yes.  In that range you're really just taking flyers and Boulware's intangibles look special and might give him a chance to make it in the NFL.  The Steelers took a seventh round flyer on a similar player in Matakevich last year, and I have this feeling he could end up panning out for them.

Rotoworld mock

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/68341/344/nfl-mock-draft-10

17. Washington Redskins - DL Malik McDowell, Michigan State - Scot McCloughan had a target in last year’s draft. Many believe it was Ryan Kelly or Karl Joseph, both selected before the Redskins’ pick. McDowell would really help Washington’s defensive front.

50 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not trying to single you out since a lot of the other posters feel the same way as you, but I think when you guys are making statements like this that you are looking at Boulware without considering draft value.  The question isn't just "do we want Ben Boulware?" it's "do we want Ben Boulware in the seventh round?"

Or put more directly: "is Boulware a good value in the seventh round?"

IMO the answer is yes.  In that range you're really just taking flyers and Boulware's intangibles look special and might give him a chance to make it in the NFL.  The Steelers took a seventh round flyer on a similar player in Matakevich last year, and I have this feeling he could end up panning out for them.

I know for a fact that mat is doing well for the steelers lol problem is cracking that lineup. He does play teams in the meantime and excels. ❤️❤️ Love him and his pops! Truely nice guys!

also, where do you see Bentley the dt from Florida  falling ?i would love him! Great story but also seems like he's a really hard working guy, with allot of potential!

17 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

McDowell has a ton of hype, and people here are excited about the chance of drafting him.  What game on draftbreakdown should I watch that shows what he does well?  What's his best tape?  Because I watched his Wisconsin game and was disappointed.  I know he's gotta have good tape out there though, and I've heard about MSU's injuries along that D-Line.

I watched the 2016 Notre Dame game.   Took on double teams, put pressure on the QB -- looked good to my eyes.   I noticed some of his big games from this season aren't posted on draftbreakdown -- like against Maryland.

16 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

You are not gonna see a lot of splash plays from Mcdowell. He is more of a space eater and a true DT. Watch him take on double teams and anchor. He is a serious force against the run. I havent started with the DL yet as far as game tape. But I was really high on Mcdowell coming into this season. Check out the Indiana tape from this season.

Checked it out, and it did look a lot better than Wisconsin.  He had a pretty impressive several play sequence against the run at one point.  But based on that tape he's an undersized run defender at 280 lbs that doesn't have as much of an impact against the pass.  The 2016 draft had a lot of those d-lineman, and most of them who were projected to go in the 1st at this point in the draft process, fell to the 2nd/3rd round on draft day.

I don't think he's BPA at #17 if he's not providing pressure.  Then I put on his tape from Wisconsin and think he needs to spend a year gaining weight for the NFL.

It's weird, Solomon Thomas is also undersized, yet I don't see the same size issues that I see with McDowell.  They both need to gain some weight, but at times it's glaring with McDowell.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched the 2016 Notre Dame game.   Took on double teams, put pressure on the QB -- looked good to my eyes.   I noticed some of his big games from this season aren't posted on draftbreakdown -- like against Maryland.

I'll have to reserve judgement until I those games go up then.

I would love for us to get Re Foster with our pick. If we can't though. McDowell would be a nice get.

What I want is for us to move to the 4-3 and Get Bradley and hopefully he runs that system he snagged from Pete.

Thoughts on Peppers being able to play Center field Safety and actually make plays?

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Foster in first, Demarcus Walker in second. 

Wishful thinking?

I'd prefer someone like Budda Baker over Walker in the 2nd.  I saw one of Walker's games, and while he lined up as a 3 or 4 tech on occasion, he was mostly an Edge guy.  He doesn't bring something to the table that Murphy, Kerrigan, and Smith don't already do.  I don't think he'd add anything to our pass rush except for depth and insurance in case Murphy has another good season and leaves in FA.

Need to watch more of Baker, but I was surprised with what I saw given his size.  Small FS's can excel in the NFL.  Look at Earl Thomas or Rodney McLeod.  For reference, those two combine heights were 5'10 and 2/8ths and 5'9 and 6/8ths respectively.  Polamalu was maybe 5'10.  Ed Reed was right around 5'11.  Shorter safeties tend to have better movement skills, and changing direction to react is paramount.

Kam Chancellor is awesome at what he does, but he has a limited role within which to work.  Earl Thomas lets Chancellor be Chancellor.

6 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Last night's game made Watson and Williams a ton of money.

My favorite though is/was OJ Howard.  I would take him at 17 if McCaffrey is not there.

None of the defensive players impressed me as first rounders... even Foster. 

OJ Howard is my dark horse candidate for #17.  I've become disinterested with the idea of paying Vernon Davis much for next season.  He's overrated as a blocker.  I think Howard would have a surprising impact on our run game.

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

SM - Ben Boulware as a starter scares me....not so much the round he's drafted in.  As a depth guy, sure...but we'll have the same problems on defense if he's out there getting regular snaps. 

He will not and should not be a starter.

He should be a backup and special teams guy.

For that, I'd be happy to spend a 7th rounder on him.

28 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

OJ Howard is my dark horse candidate for #17.  I've become disinterested with the idea of paying Vernon Davis much for next season.  He's overrated as a blocker.  I think Howard would have a surprising impact on our run game.

Last night, OJ Howard looked like Jordan Reed but with more speed and can actually block.    He's very intriguing. 

40 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'd prefer someone like Budda Baker over Walker in the 2nd.  I saw one of Walker's games, and while he lined up as a 3 or 4 tech on occasion, he was mostly an Edge guy.  He doesn't bring something to the table that Murphy, Kerrigan, and Smith don't already do.  I don't think he'd add anything to our pass rush except for depth and insurance in case Murphy has another good season and leaves in FA.

In the few FSU games I watched, he was blowing up plays right up the gut as soon as they developed. He looked particularly strong against Michigan, who could have 3 or 4 of their OL drafted in the first 4 rounds this year.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Last night, OJ Howard looked like Jordan Reed but with more speed and can actually block.    He's very intriguing. 

While Howard is a stud, he seems like a luxury for us to spend a first rounder on (I know, I know - we just had a discussion about BPA ... ).

43 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

While Howard is a stud, he seems like a luxury for us to spend a first rounder on (I know, I know - we just had a discussion about BPA ... ).

I think if you do BPA in the draft and sign for positional need in FA its the best way to do it.  Now a point or two of value here or there its worth getting the position of need, but if you have one guy graded as a future probowler/allpro at his position and he slides down, you almost have to take him.  

I have been raving to a buddy of mine about Boulware since last year.  Think i may have made an oopsie post last year in the draft thread too, where it was pointed out to me that he had at least another year.  He certainly checks off that "football player" box, & then some.  I think from the early temperature gauge, to whatever his combine numbers will be, he will sit nicely in that 3rd/4th round range, unless someone decides they can't pass up on him on the 2nd.

I would love to add him along with another dynamic piece in the 1st round.  Whether that's Cunningham, or one of the Safeties mentioned....this is part of my dream scenario.

Dude is just on top of the film study...guys like that usually play well at the next level.....measurables be damned.

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Need to watch more of Baker, but I was surprised with what I saw given his size.  Small FS's can excel in the NFL.  Look at Earl Thomas or Rodney McLeod.  For reference, those two combine heights were 5'10 and 2/8ths and 5'9 and 6/8ths respectively.  Polamalu was maybe 5'10.  Ed Reed was right around 5'11.  Shorter safeties tend to have better movement skills, and changing direction to react is paramount.

Kam Chancellor is awesome at what he does, but he has a limited role within which to work.  Earl Thomas lets Chancellor be Chancellor.

Man. You are making me salivate at a two TE set with OJ and Reed on the field at the same time. Garcon on one side and Crowder on the other. That would be quite potent. And not just in the passing game but in the running game as well. Garcon on the same side with Howard would be some serious run blocking.

Archived