Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

23 minutes ago, nemocystem said:

admittedly, i have to go back through at least the last 15 pages here to get caught up...but i just got into film sessions this week, & the first guy who just FLIES off the tape is Zach Cunningham - MILB - Vanderbilt.

i am pretty excited about him as an ILB prospect.  best i've seen in a while out of college.  the intelligence on the field, the film study is obvious...the way he unloads on opposition....he either blows up OL in the way, or stacks/sheds so well that he's always in position to make a play, or to wall off a runners options, & direct them into traffic.  he's very good in coverage, & with his size/length, he is just a pure spaceater in the middle.  his size alone makes it difficult to complete passes in his zone.  he takes excellent angles, & takes very few missteps.  his angles are always on point, & he makes blockers pay for their troubles.

i'm locked in on this prospect right now.  i simply have trouble finding things i don't like on tape.  they're there...no doubt...but he has all the tools i normally find missing on these 1st round projected MILB prospects of late.  he steps in on day 1 & makes a significant impact.

I, admittedly, have nothing to back this up... 

When i started watching tape of him, the only thing that struck me, was "this guy shouldnt be drafted until day 3 at the earliest." Bad player on a terrible defense so his numbers and "production" are inflated. But i am certainly not a guru or any such thing on predicting someones future at the next level.

nor are any of us (gurus) for that matter...just enjoy the kick in the teeth.

starting with the Florida tape (& surely there's a better way to say: please explain your conclusions =) :

right away (2nd play, 00:13) he reads the OG's feet perfectly to where his very first movement is into the hole.  this tells me he knows his position well (unfortunately, a quality for ILBs not as often spotted as one would assume), & also has me paying attention to whether this is also part of his film study?  patterns will show up.  from there...(his first step) he takes 2 steps, & then shoots into the hole as his eyes confirm the handoff.  he gets slim, & edges by the OG with leverage, & then explodes through the block to make the assisted tackle.

the next 2 plays - first, he stays in his underneath zone well until the RB tries to sneak out.  then he steps up, & smashes him as the QB is getting rid of the football.  then, he does a great job (consistent theme) of seeing the direction of the play before it gets going, then shoots to beat the blocker to his spot, & leverages (or just plain skates him) back into the intended hole, giving the RB nowhere to go, & allowing his teammates to make the initial contact.

2:07...watch him wiggle his way into this tackle through the wash.  never saw Reuben Foster do this on tape.

2:13...(another constant theme)his DL just gets sleigh-ridden 3 yards back off the initial burst.  yet, he manages to come up, contact his way through 2 O-Linemen before making a tackle one what easily could have been a big play.  they got the first, but a fantastic play nonetheless.

2:38...this play is awesome.  just watch.  that poor OG...& that RB thought he saw some daylight.  

3:27...bad read...they were in cover-3, & he went man onto the H-back...now, if that was supposed to be man then it was great coverage...but i doubt it.

3:42...next play...i love how he stays square but is able to get beyond the down-blocker with ease before he unloads into the RB at the LoS.

i think we get the point.

this is pretty consistent through all the games i watched on Draft Breakdown.  if he isn't making the tackle, he's making a play that helps make the tackle.  he loves contact, & doesn't shy away from it, & he just doesn't get moved out of the way, or even contacted that much on the 2nd level from down-blocks.  trying to down-block Cunningham is almost always futile.  

anywho...just some observations.  can't wait to chew on some more prospects. 

aaaaannnnnd, i just read Alcoholic Zebra's thoughts on Cunningham, hahaha.

well...i'll keep looking at the other games with your goggles on to see if i'm looking at it differently, or if i'm just missing something.  the Florida reel had me especially giddy.  

i definitely don't get the impression that he's shy of contact.  my favorite thing to watch on his film was him blowing up OL in the hole & watching his teammates clean up the ball carrier.  

whoah...8:56, vs Florida....wow.

vs Georgia....lot's of great stuff here...especially a bunch of great footage of Vandy using him as a down Lineman.  he just sleds a few people.......i mean...when he gets contact with Linemen, he usually wins.

4:14....another thing i love from him, & we see it almost every time he's in coverage.  89 comes on the crossing route, &is handed off to Cunningham, who proceeds to forearm shiver him almost to ground.  within 5 yards, with the Official right there.  he does this constantly.  i mean...if the WR is on his ass, then he can't very well catch a pass.  don't see this enough at ANY level...especially this frequently, in College.  

he plays, to me, how Ryan Shazier is playing now....but with a bit more physicality.

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:
redskins_150.png
SOLOMON THOMAS
DL, STANFORD
Did you see the Sun Bowl? This dude already looked like an NFL veteran playing against overmatched college linemen. Thomas has the power to push through OTs off the edge, coupled with the quickness to slip past interior blockers. He’s a fit for all schemes and all downs. Exactly what Washington is missing up front.

Yes, unfortunately, as a TarHeel alum, I watched the Sun Bowl... Thomas absolutely DESTROYED us, and our offensive line was pretty darned good.... I would take Thomas in a heartbeat, but I am concerned he won't be available at Number 17.... I have a feeling he's going to impress the hell outta everyone at the combine and get up into the top 10.... Plus he's from Stanford, so intelligence and football IQ is obviously not going to be an issue....

17 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

John Ross is kinda DJax...so I understand why it makes sense to draft him. And if Scot is high on him, it could happen.

But if it happens. I'm not going to Come on ES for a month. This forum will be one big riot. 

Sharpens pitch fork

1 hour ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Yes, unfortunately, as a TarHeel alum, I watched the Sun Bowl... Thomas absolutely DESTROYED us, and our offensive line was pretty darned good.... I would take Thomas in a heartbeat, but I am concerned he won't be available at Number 17.... I have a feeling he's going to impress the hell outta everyone at the combine and get up into the top 10.... Plus he's from Stanford, so intelligence and football IQ is obviously not going to be an issue....

I have the same feeling. Besides his amazing on-field play he also seems like a great character and his teammates raved about him. He would be my dream pick at 17 because I think he will be a difference maker but I don't think he'll be available...

19 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

John Ross is kinda DJax...so I understand why it makes sense to draft him. And if Scot is high on him, it could happen.

But if it happens. I'm not going to Come on ES for a month. This forum will be one big riot. 

Personally, I'd be fine with Ross.

I'm not really wedded to a particular position.

This team just needs better athletes....period.

5 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Would Cunningham be best suited as a 3-4 or a 4-3 ILB? Is he that solid of a player that it doesn't even matter?

Vandy plays a hybrid 3-4 two gap defense. They use Cunningham as the center piece in a read and react scheme. It takes disciplined D lineman to run their scheme. Watch film and you will see their D lineman attach and stick to their assigned OL. They then assess where the ball is going, shed their blocker and shoot the correct gap. It is a system clearly designed to stop the read option. They allow Cunningham to just read and react. he is outstanding at it. Personally I still have Foster rated higher. But only because of size. Foster is bigger and they both do A LOT of the same things. I think they BOTH end up outstanding pro MLB's. SO to answer your question...I dont think it matters what scheme you put him in. I am looking forward to watching him run at the combine. Here is a good example:

ZacCunninghamEDIT

3 hours ago, panahoo said:

Ive been impressed with Jamal Adams from LSU so far from what ive seen.

I love him. But so does everyone else. NO Chance he makes it to 17.

I just finished watching tape on Malik Hooker (during commercials of the wild card game).  I know I am a football freak...Anyways. I am not really impressed. He is a MASSIVE safety. People are saying he could be the next Ed Reed. I am not seeing it. I see a guy that is SLOW to react and seems unsure of what he is doing. He also takes bad angles quite often. Does he make some splash plays? Yes he does. And I believe he only has one year as a starter so maybe he gets better. But I dont see the athleticism or smarts of Ed reed on the football field. There isnt a whole lot of tape out there on him yet. From what I have watched I have a preliminary late 2nd or 3rd round grade on him. But it wouldnt be the first time I was completely wrong. You judge for yourselves:

haven't really started to dive into other positions yet...have looked at a few guys outside of MILB just to ferrett out whether i believe the hype.  haven't gotten to Hooker yet, though a lot of people i know are huge on him.  personally, i am in full swoon over Jamaal Adams...but there's NO WAY he gets past 15.  top 10 if the team taking him likes him more than Hooker.  

crazy thing is that we might actually have a legit shot at Jabril Peppers...yes, i would be over the moon if we landed him.  there's a lot of guys i like though, so it would be difficult to get upset at 17, i feel.  this is all just fun exercise at this point.

13 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Interesting. I havent started on the DL yet. (just been looking at LB's and Safety) But I have seen some mocks with us picking Thomas. I will give my feedback when I take a look...Not that it matters.

40 minutes ago, nemocystem said:

haven't really started to dive into other positions yet...have looked at a few guys outside of MILB just to ferrett out whether i believe the hype.  haven't gotten to Hooker yet, though a lot of people i know are huge on him.  personally, i am in full swoon over Jamaal Adams...but there's NO WAY he gets past 15.  top 10 if the team taking him likes him more than Hooker.  

crazy thing is that we might actually have a legit shot at Jabril Peppers...yes, i would be over the moon if we landed him.  there's a lot of guys i like though, so it would be difficult to get upset at 17, i feel.  this is all just fun exercise at this point.

Just getting started. Havent looked at Peppers yet. Will try to do him tomorrow. And I agree about Adams. I think he is a top ten player in this draft.

I already stated how unimpressed I was with Cunningham. His game against Tenn seemed like a video on why not to draft this kid. Just watched Florida game, and again, very underwhelming. Doesn't like contact for a LBer and not a great tackler. 

Watched multiple Reu. Foster film, that kid is next level ready right now. He's going top ten almost certainly, so I'm not even entertaining idea. But, based on Cunningham's films, I'm actually hoping he's either gone or way off our board. That embedded gift on this page is him shedding a cut block from a WR. Foster is a bruiser, ala K. Mack. Cunningham seems like a JAG

Luckily there can only be 16 "there's NO WAY he falls to 17" players in this draft. 

Plus QB's and WR's we don't want will push some guys down. A RB or two we may or may not want will push more valuable positional talent down. An OT or two (though it is a weak class) that we don't have much use for will push some guys down.

There will be a damn good prospect available for us at 17. And most likely, taking the above into account, there will be multiple somebodies we wouldn't have expected to be there available at our pick.

OK... Anybody want to see 2 different styles of LBer watch Cunningham's film vs Florida and Foster's film vs Florida. You'll see very clearly what I mean by a player that can tackle and not averse to contact. Never mind the speed of Foster.

I understand the DL's are different. But, OMGosh, just watch Foster. I'm telling you, every film on this kid is the same. I would trade up in a split second if he slid to the 10 range. I would give quite a bit to land this kid.

Cunningham is solid. We might need solid. So many times our ILbers are either too slow or totally misread the play and we get gashed. Cunningham will make the play that is to be made. At a school like Vandy, football might not have been an all day everyday thing so IMO he could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

12 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Interesting. I havent started on the DL yet. (just been looking at LB's and Safety) But I have seen some mocks with us picking Thomas. I will give my feedback when I take a look...Not that it matters.

Just getting started. Havent looked at Peppers yet. Will try to do him tomorrow. And I agree about Adams. I think he is a top ten player in this draft.

Adams is a top 5 player in this draft.

You don't think Peppers and Sua are too much of the same??

3 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Adams is a top 5 player in this draft.

You don't think Peppers and Sua are too much of the same??

Yes I do. But I think Peppers is a better player in the box.I think Sua is better in the secondary. Just for reference I had a 4th round grade on Cravens before the draft last year! So I missed that one big time.

Jabrill Peppers is a pretty impressive force around the line of scrimmage. In MI's system he is used as a hybrid safety/linebacker. IMO he lacks ideal speed in the secondary. He is supposed to be a 4.4 guy but I dont see that speed on tape.  And MI does a good job of covering that up within their system. He definitely looks more comfortable with what he is doing than Hooker does to me. But I think Hooker is a better natural pass defender. Peppers seems to struggle with shedding blocks from bigger guys as well. Not a great tackler in space either. he does add some return ability as well though. His game tape against Penn State is pretty poor actually. He was better against Iowa and WI. My draft grade would be a third round grade. And I dont think he fits with us as we already have Sua. I actually like Justin Evans more than Peppers.

Archived