Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

I've watched a bunch of his games over the last two years, but I went back and watched Reuben Foster's cut ups anyway to try and define his skill set better.

What I like:

- The explosiveness.  This kid is an elite athlete.  Super twitchy and has elite ability to change directions and breakdown in the open field and bring down shifty ball carriers.  First few steps are quick and the closing speed is good.  Shows fluid hips and an ability to mirror receivers in coverage.

- Physical.  Hits with pop.  Not afraid to leave his feet to make plays and he never shies from scrums, often initiating the contact that starts the pile.  Uses his quickness and low center of gravity to get into his blocker's pads before the guy can get set up on him.  Helps set the tone for a very bruising Alabama defense.

What I don't like:

- The size.  This kid is small for the position and he doesn't necessarily play big like other small LBs like Myles Jack and Luke Kuechly did.  His frame is compact and it looks maxed out and I don't think he looks long armed.

- Not necessarily a big time playmaker.  He's a super reliable run defender but you don't really see him making a lot of splashy plays on the ball, nor do you see him get home on a lot of his rushes, and Alabama blitzed him quite a bit and he got a lot of clean rushes.

He's the best athlete among the stack linebackers in this class, but his lack of versatility is kind of a bummer for a mid first round pick.  He really has no ability to play on the outside because he simply doesn't have the size and length to tangle with offensive tackles.  And he's just not the same caliber of playmaker that Kuechly, CJ Mosley, and Jack were.  I understand projecting Foster to be a better NFL player because he's an elite athlete, but Reggie Ragland was actually a better college player than Foster was.  TBH it feels like Foster is being pushed up into a range he shouldn't be going in the mock drafts because the top end of this LB class is weak.  He really should be a late first rounder at best.  And on the whole, I think last year's LB class was better than this year's.

14 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

Receivers!?!?!?!

oh-hell-no.gif

Did we hire Matt Millan to help with the draft?

There is a chance that Garçon and Djax will not be back. If that's the case, then Crowder, Doctson, Grant, Harris?????

The Skins could go John Ross. 

3 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Maybe he's heard rumors we dont trust Doctson?  I mean if we lose Garcon AND Djax.. We have NOTHING at WR... 

Yeah I know. If Todd had said "John Ross", I'd be okay with it.

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've seen Malik in some mocks as top 10 but yeah most of them have him available at 17.  He's the player I started watching first at draftbreakdown.com.  He has quick hands, good get off, disruptive.   McDowell and Solomon Thomas for me are the most intriguing options as for helping fix the D line.  They are disruptive and good against the run.

Very explosive off the line of scrimmage.  Heavy hands.  Good lateral quickness and agility.  Vines for arms and a mammoth frame.  McDowell gets doubled all the time and still beats them.  He'd be a game changer for our defense, probably the best or second best player in the unit as a rookie.  Not sure why he'd still be available at 17 but I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth if he was.  I like him as much as I liked Leonard Williams.

I'll need to watch Thomas's cut ups.  I actually did watch a few Stanford games because of McCaffrey, but I don't remember Thomas well enough to have a take on him.

I like John Ross too.  He is friggin dynamic.  Reminds me of Kendall Wright at Baylor.  But I'm not crazy about picking him at 17.  He's small and he has serious knee injuries in his medical history.  And his game is completely predicated on his speed.  He's an intriguing talent but personally, I think you have to go for a safer option at 17.  

SteveMc- What cutups are you referring to on Foster?

I watched 3 game films this year and he was the best player on the field and it's not even close. I just watched the Florida game. His sack on the QB showed speed and burst that puts him in Mack territory IMO. Ragland was always 'clunky' on film IMO. To say he was a better LB is more than a stretch. I'll be happy to review games you're referring to, but this kid is elite and size is never a big determinant when analyzing middle LBer's. Further, he shows about 5X more physicality on blocks than Cunningham.

I just watched his A&M and Auburn game. It's like a loop, play after play. His instincts are great, when he makes contact the play runner stops there without extra yard or 2. I am officially all in on this pick, he would be our QB on D. PLEASE fall to 17!!!

People have to watch his films

1 hour ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Hooker, Foster or Thomas would be a godsend for us. However Cook would be nice too. After watching Bell dismantle the Dolphins, I would love to have elite talent at rb.

Bell could be a free agent. So you may be able to get the real one.

McQueen & i seem to be on almost exactly the same page this year....a welcome contradiction to many years past, lol.

i'm in love with this draft class in general.  i can't wait to see who Scot picks! 

it's pretty clear there will be a bevy of options for betterment at the 17 spot this year.  i would even be ok with Cook or McCafferey, although i am beginning to think that there's little chance either of them is BPA at 17.  with it looking like McDowell, Cunningham, Foster, Adams, Peppers, Smith-Schuster, Mike Williams....heck....you could throw in Adoree Jackson, TJ Watt, Quincy Wilson, Marshon Lattimore, or even Takkarist McKinley.  just naming guys off the top.  not to mention the oft-implied Scotty surprise pick possiblity.   although i think the 1st rounder this year will be someone obvious.

i have only just started a draft board...so BPA isn't even close to sorted for my 2c...but Cunningham, McDowell, & Adams top my list at the moment.  heck...Quenton Nelson is also a possibility.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Bell could be a free agent. So you may be able to get the real one.

they just mentioned that Bell is likely going to be tagged.

46 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

SteveMc- What cutups are you referring to on Foster?

I watched 3 game films this year and he was the best player on the field and it's not even close. I just watched the Florida game. His sack on the QB showed speed and burst that puts him in Mack territory IMO. Ragland was always 'clunky' on film IMO. To say he was a better LB is more than a stretch. I'll be happy to review games you're referring to, but this kid is elite and size is never a big determinant when analyzing middle LBer's. Further, he shows about 5X more physicality on blocks than Cunningham.

I just watched his A&M and Auburn game. It's like a loop, play after play. His instincts are great, when he makes contact the play runner stops there without extra yard or 2. I am officially all in on this pick, he would be our QB on D. PLEASE fall to 17!!!

People have to watch his films

I am with you Bonez. I like Fosters size. He is thick and fast. Only 6'1 but 245. Let him get some time in the weight room with a true NFL trainer.  And I believe he will hold up better in the NFL than Cunningham. But I like Cunningham as well. I know you are not as high on him. I dont think we have to worry about it. I believe Foster will for sure be gone when we pick.

Brugler is generally reputable, here's his new mock

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-uncs-mitch-trubisky-first-qb-off-the-board-goes-to-49ers-at-no-2/

17. Washington Redskins

Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan State: McDowell has an impressive blend of size, athleticism and power to be effective from multiple positions along the defensive line.

Solomon/McDowell/Foster/Hooker/Adams/Cook/Fournette are all more likely than not to be gone by 17, but I'd accept any of them as our pick. 

KD Cannon could be just the Desean replacement the doctor ordered, in the 2nd. 

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Solomon/McDowell/Foster/Hooker/Adams/Cook/Fournette are all more likely than not to be gone by 17, but I'd accept any of them as our pick. 

KD Cannon could be just the Desean replacement the doctor ordered, in the 2nd. 

Mocks this early granted are generally off.  If the current mocks have any merit which is questionable -- Foster, Fournette, Adams, Hooker are gone by #17.  Among Cook, Solomon, Mcdowell -- one or two of them might slip to #17. 

15 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I hope you can grow one back like Jeebs from Men In Black, cuz I cannot deny that if Dalvin Cook is there, and Scot runs to the podium, I'd give em the Gatsby salute

But I'd def prefer defense

We already have one fumbler in the backfield. I like Cook. But he definitely has ball security issues. 7 Fumbles in 2 seasons isnt very inspring.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mocks this early granted are generally off.  If the current mocks have any merit which is questionable -- Foster, Fournette, Adams, Hooker are gone by #17.  Among Cook, Solomon, Mcdowell -- one or two of them might slip to #17. 

Yeah. This time last year, Brugler had us taking Andrew Billings, with Connor Cook going to Houston at 22. Among others.

His Jan 11, 2016 mock: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2016-nfl-mock-draft-cowboys-pass-on-a-qb-to-take-laquon-treadwell/

McDowell has a ton of hype, and people here are excited about the chance of drafting him.  What game on draftbreakdown should I watch that shows what he does well?  What's his best tape?  Because I watched his Wisconsin game and was disappointed.  I know he's gotta have good tape out there though, and I've heard about MSU's injuries along that D-Line.

7 hours ago, maskedsuperstar said:

There is a chance that Garçon and Djax will not be back. If that's the case, then Crowder, Doctson, Grant, Harris?????

The Skins could go John Ross. 

Yeah I know. If Todd had said "John Ross", I'd be okay with it.

I understand that but the need is greater on defense. BPA among Safety, DL, or ILB would be my preference in the 1st round. We can get a quality WR into the mid to later rounds. At this point in time, I'm cautious about spending a 1st on another receiver after blowing it on Doctson last year.

Don't mean to be crude with the gif and the Matt Millen reference. :)

16 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Some of your criticisms are accurate and some are not.  Your overall take is too negative IMO.

He's a raw talent.  There is no way he received the kind of teaching and strength training and conditioning that prospects coming out of good power 5 programs did.  There is untapped upside there with Cunningham.  I think he might struggle his first year or two, while showing a bunch of flashes in the process, but that in three or four years, a patient team is going to end up with a really good every down linebacker.  Also, don't underestimate just how valuable his solid coverage skills are for a linebacker in today's game.  We're at the point where you willingly sacrifice physicality if the guy can play nickle and dime.  And Cunningham can get off blocks.  I would be very satisfied with the value we'd get from picking him in the second round.  And I think he could eventually be part of a turn around in the culture and performance of our defense, along with guys like Cravens and Norman and Preston Smith.

Probably am being a bit too harsh on him.  You're also probably right that Vanderbilt's strength and conditioning isn't that comparable to what you'd expect.  Just looked up how often Vanderbilt players have been drafted recently.  One player was drafted in the 7th round in 2016, zero players drafted in 2015, 3 players drafted in 2014, 2 players in 2013, 2 in 2012, and zero in 2011.  So in the past 7 drafts (including this one), they would have only 3 guys go before the 3rd day of the draft.  One is solid (Matthews) and the other just made a pro-bowl (Hayward).  Andre Hall is also supposed to be a good free safety.  Not many prospects coming out, but those that do get some hype, are alright.

I do like a lot of his movement skills and think he could be a good player.  But right now, that has to be with the right fit if he's going to contribute as a rookie.  Otherwise the fanbase will revolt and the coaches will put him in the doghouse and that's not good for development.  I'd assume he'd take Compton's job, and unlike Mason Foster, being the leader of a defense isn't something you rotate in and out.  Especially since I think only one defensive player can have the helmet with the headset built in right?

If we drafted Cunningham, maybe he could split snaps with Foster like what Cravens did, before sliding over to take Compton's job in year 2?

Regardless, I don't think McCloughan is going to take him at #17 overall.

I feel compelled to say this in this forum, but I'll stake sig bet to anyone that Doctson balls in this league. You can pull up last years draft thread and I clearly stated my outright shock when some early mocks had him going in 2nd round. His ability is incredible. Injuries happen, I'll be patient on him for sure. Any bettors let me know...

With that said, I still think WR is a target for reasons that we very well may be losing 2 veteran WRs and there is some nice mid round talent out there. The perfect blend of BPA and need

Archived