Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

An interesting thought experiment: how might our draft strategy change if we went to a 4-3 defense?  Certainly a possibility given the change at D.  It's just so hard to find that nose tackle who can anchor your defense, and moving to a 4-3 would mean those guys we're thinking we can't draft ("he's a 4-3 DE") would make sense.  Plus, it might actually fit our current personnel better.  Why?  It means Su'a Cravens could move to weak-side OLB, which to me is his natural position.  You also have several guys who would seem to make sense at 4-3 DE in Kerrigan and Smith, a guy who could swing between 4-3 DE and DT (on passing downs) in Murphy, and guys who could fill in at DT until we fill the position out (Jean-Francois and assuming we re-sign him, which I would recommend, Chris Baker).  The starting point up front would be:

DE Preston Smith

DT Chris Baker

DT Ricky Jean-Francois

DE Ryan Kerrigan

WLB Su'a Cravens

MLB Will Compton

SLB Mason Foster

That does mean we have to fill SS, but to me it really opens up the draft possibilities.  You can look at guys like Caleb Brantley or Carlos Watkins at DT, but now they'd be in a 4-3 where their ability to penetrate would fit perfectly.  Or Chris Wormley who can fill two roles like Murphy - outside at DE on run downs, kick in to DT on pass downs.  You could look at a guy like Derek Barnett from Tennessee and say, hey, rather than waiting for him to learn to be a 3-4 OLB, we can just throw him into the 4-3 DE mix with Kerrigan and Smith and boom, you have tons of pass-rushing depth there.

Hypothetical draft:

#17: Caleb Brantley

#49: Carlos Watkins

Now, the D-line is good.  You have several good options at every position so you can do what most of the best D-lines do: have enough depth to rotate guys so they can give max effort and not get worn down by having to play every down.  Use the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks on CB, FS, SS, and perhaps WR, then fill out the roster as needed with the 6th and 7th round picks.  Might need to look for a smaller, quicker LB as well for SLB since Foster is really an ILB.

Just seems like to me that's the best way to fix the D-line.  Stop trying to find that giant space eater like Damon Harrison who can anchor the D-line and move to a 4-3 where you can put more big bodies at the line.

5 hours ago, Area51 said:

If that guy falls into the 3rd/4th round, I would love it if we took him.  He looks like a Jason Witten clone

Yeah but..........he's not going to ready.

I like Evan Engram too!

1 hour ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Joe Mixon turning pro. Obvious off-field concern with the domestic violence video, but it's going to come down to team interviews. Le'veon bell/Clinton Portis like skill set. Would absolutely flourish and put up pro bowl numbers year 1 in this offense 

Absolutely he would 

3 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I still think Su'a would play SS 

Ian Rapaport naming Steve Wilks as possible candidate does suggest Scot/Jay are moving towards a 4-3 base. I wonder how long it'll take us to hire, you'd think not very long so he can come in and evaluate the personnel with Jay and Scot 

Its really up in the air. If they are serious, interview could be soon

4 hours ago, saltydog75 said:

An interesting thought experiment: how might our draft strategy change if we went to a 4-3 defense?  Certainly a possibility given the change at D.  It's just so hard to find that nose tackle who can anchor your defense, and moving to a 4-3 would mean those guys we're thinking we can't draft ("he's a 4-3 DE") would make sense.  Plus, it might actually fit our current personnel better.  Why?  It means Su'a Cravens could move to weak-side OLB, which to me is his natural position.  You also have several guys who would seem to make sense at 4-3 DE in Kerrigan and Smith, a guy who could swing between 4-3 DE and DT (on passing downs) in Murphy, and guys who could fill in at DT until we fill the position out (Jean-Francois and assuming we re-sign him, which I would recommend, Chris Baker).  The starting point up front would be:

DE Preston Smith

DT Chris Baker

DT Ricky Jean-Francois

DE Ryan Kerrigan

WLB Su'a Cravens

MLB Will Compton

SLB Mason Foster

That does mean we have to fill SS, but to me it really opens up the draft possibilities.  You can look at guys like Caleb Brantley or Carlos Watkins at DT, but now they'd be in a 4-3 where their ability to penetrate would fit perfectly.  Or Chris Wormley who can fill two roles like Murphy - outside at DE on run downs, kick in to DT on pass downs.  You could look at a guy like Derek Barnett from Tennessee and say, hey, rather than waiting for him to learn to be a 3-4 OLB, we can just throw him into the 4-3 DE mix with Kerrigan and Smith and boom, you have tons of pass-rushing depth there.

Hypothetical draft:

#17: Caleb Brantley

#49: Carlos Watkins

Now, the D-line is good.  You have several good options at every position so you can do what most of the best D-lines do: have enough depth to rotate guys so they can give max effort and not get worn down by having to play every down.  Use the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks on CB, FS, SS, and perhaps WR, then fill out the roster as needed with the 6th and 7th round picks.  Might need to look for a smaller, quicker LB as well for SLB since Foster is really an ILB.

Just seems like to me that's the best way to fix the D-line.  Stop trying to find that giant space eater like Damon Harrison who can anchor the D-line and move to a 4-3 where you can put more big bodies at the line.

4-3 defense means one gap. The DL must be quick and be able to get up field, pressure the QB.

17 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I still think Su'a would play SS 

Ian Rapaport naming Steve Wilks as possible candidate does suggest Scot/Jay are moving towards a 4-3 base. I wonder how long it'll take us to hire, you'd think not very long so he can come in and evaluate the personnel with Jay and Scot 

There are 3-4 candidates mentioned in the mix, too.  I think people are just throwing stuff against the wall right now, i wouldn't take it as Jay decided to switch to a 4-3.    It possible but don't see Rapaport throwing a candidate out there as a signal for it.  We are 75% of the time or so in a 4-3 anyway.

Wilks has been mentioned on NFL shows as a good potential future D coordinator.  He's becoming a name. You have Norman on the team.  So why not him as a possibility -- it adds up.  I am gather that's Rapaports speculation.  Generally, reporters like him if they knew there was certain interest would say it that way:  heard Redskins interested in... Manusky has been mentioned more than anyone, he's been mostly a 3-4 guy.

15 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Joe Mixon turning pro. Obvious off-field concern with the domestic violence video, but it's going to come down to team interviews. Le'veon bell/Clinton Portis like skill set. Would absolutely flourish and put up pro bowl numbers year 1 in this offense 

I'm so torn on Mixon. Look, the video was reeeeeeeeaaaasally bad. The dude lost an entire season(I thought he should have been kicked off the team and been forced to finish college in ****ty d2 school purgatory, but that's neither here nor there) and has faced and will face national backlash for his actions. But, he seemingly has done all the right things since he got in trouble. I think that the only reason he will get a shot is because he is young and still has his legs(I also think that Ray Rice would have gotten another shot if he wasn't breaking down). No way am I dropping a first on the guy, but if he's there in the 4th? I seriously think about putting his name on a card. Totally agree that he would be a stud in our offense.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We are 75% of the time or so in a 4-3 anyway.

I really wish people would get over the 34/43 designation stuff. If you want to say we run anything it's more of a hybrid now because of so much nickel. Look at Belichick's defense. They went 34 but then Wilfork started getting up there and they moved to more nickel looks to keep up with the spread passing attacks that are becoming more commonplace. 

Its tough to run a true 34 anymore because 3 down nts are near impossible to find. If there's one that can allow us to stay in our base defense more we should try to get him but right now we just need players.  

8 minutes ago, squatch66 said:

I really wish people would get over the 34/43 designation stuff. If you want to say we run anything it's more of a hybrid now because of so much nickel. Look at Belichick's defense. They went 34 but then Wilfork started getting up there and they moved to more nickel looks to keep up with the spread passing attacks that are becoming more commonplace. 

This is what our D coördinator should think. Let's just look at the current roster and our opponents...and then Come up with a strategie. 

When I look at our current roster I would play Preston Smith and Kerrigan more hand in the ground. We need to stop the olineman from running around and getting to our second level. 

5 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

This is what our D coördinator should think. Let's just look at the current roster and our opponents...and then Come up with a strategie. 

When I look at our current roster I would play Preston Smith and Kerrigan more hand in the ground. We need to stop the olineman from running around and getting to our second level. 

Honestly I don't care what we run or who plays where. I'm just sick of seeing our edge defenders get sucked inside and sealed off while the back bounces outside and is off to the races.

46 minutes ago, squatch66 said:

Honestly I don't care what we run or who plays where. I'm just sick of seeing our edge defenders get sucked inside and sealed off while the back bounces outside and is off to the races.

It's funny. I got sick of watching RK and PS going way wide and overcommiting every play and watching running backs gash them inside.

The more I watch Zach Cunningham, the more I think there's only one legit 1st round linebacker in this draft, and that's Reuben Foster.  Cunningham, is fast, he's athletic...but he's definitely not a "football player" McCloughan style.  He sucks at tackling and he's not physical.  His block shedding is below average.  If he can't get around the blocker with mostly athleticism, he's done.  He does extend his arms, but then he tries to sidestep or swim around him the blocker, often losing gap integrity as the RB just moves to the other side of the blocker.

He doesn't hit when tackling, he doesn't wrap up, he doesn't take legs out, he prefers to catch the ballcarrier.  He whiffs because he's playing too high, he usually doesn't tackle with leverage and drive through them for the tackle.  I have a hard time believing NFL RB's wouldn't make him look pathetic through either jukes or just plain trucking him.  I mean, just put on a random cutup of Cunningham and start a missed tackle tally.  You'll be surprised by how many a guy this hyped is missing. QB's, WR's, RB's, whoever.

I think Cunningham could be a good player on a team with a good d-line and a linebacker beside him who is physical and aggressive in taking on blockers.  Perry Riley, Bart Scott, etc.

To put a player comparison out there.  Zach Cunningham is a faster Keenan Robinson that's worse at tackling.

3 hours ago, squatch66 said:

Its tough to run a true 34 anymore because 3 down nts are near impossible to find. If there's one that can allow us to stay in our base defense more we should try to get him but right now we just need players.  

Yeah, it's true almost everyone is some hybrid.  The main concern I have with the system we're running is that in base it's really vulnerable to the pass.  It's so hard to ask guys like Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith to do anything involving not being at the line of scrimmage.  In base, really, who's going to do any sort of quality pass defending?  You cannot expect Kerrigan/Smith/Compton/Foster to do that.  You need that guy like Su'a Cravens who's faster and more athletic.  I thought the defense played much better with Cravens at ILB because you actually had a guy who could play like a DB and make the QB think about throws.  

What I think we can learn from all of these hybrids is that you shape them to put your best players in position to make as many plays as possible, and to me, the guy that is the key right now is Cravens.  I think he can be a difference-maker.  I just don't think putting him at SS is the right move.  I think OLB is the perfect spot for him because it lets him do everything.  He can rush the passer.  He can cover like a DB.  He can stop the run.  So any scheme where we can keep him there is A-OK with me.  When Gus Bradley's name came up I looked at his schemes and those are ones I can buy into for this D.  He runs what's more or less a hybrid where you have the LEO position at LDE along with three other big d linemen up front, which allows you to have a guy like Cravens at one OLB spot with two guys like Compton and Foster filling the other two spots.  That takes Kerrigan and Smith away from doing anything other than playing at the line, which to me is where they're clearly best.

redskins_150.png
SOLOMON THOMAS
DL, STANFORD
Did you see the Sun Bowl? This dude already looked like an NFL veteran playing against overmatched college linemen. Thomas has the power to push through OTs off the edge, coupled with the quickness to slip past interior blockers. He’s a fit for all schemes and all downs. Exactly what Washington is missing up front.

29 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

John Ross is kinda DJax...so I understand why it makes sense to draft him. And if Scot is high on him, it could happen.

But if it happens. I'm not going to Come on ES for a month. This forum will be one big riot. 

I don't see a scenario where Ross is going to be the BPA at 17 so I really don't see this happening.

admittedly, i have to go back through at least the last 15 pages here to get caught up...but i just got into film sessions this week, & the first guy who just FLIES off the tape is Zach Cunningham - MILB - Vanderbilt.

i am pretty excited about him as an ILB prospect.  best i've seen in a while out of college.  the intelligence on the field, the film study is obvious...the way he unloads on opposition....he either blows up OL in the way, or stacks/sheds so well that he's always in position to make a play, or to wall off a runners options, & direct them into traffic.  he's very good in coverage, & with his size/length, he is just a pure spaceater in the middle.  his size alone makes it difficult to complete passes in his zone.  he takes excellent angles, & takes very few missteps.  his angles are always on point, & he makes blockers pay for their troubles.

i'm locked in on this prospect right now.  i simply have trouble finding things i don't like on tape.  they're there...no doubt...but he has all the tools i normally find missing on these 1st round projected MILB prospects of late.  he steps in on day 1 & makes a significant impact.

Archived