Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

On 1/18/2017 at 10:52 AM, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Targets at 17 (for me)

Defense: Solomon, Lattimore, Barnett, Foster, McKinsley

Offense: Cook, Fournette, Howard 

I love McKinley as a prospect, but edge is by far not real high on the Skins priorities IMO,  need some athletic 300 lb DL's, ILB and a RB 

I do like Solomon and Foster in your list

anyone into draft apps?  I found a really good one - finally

9 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

@RonPaul I agree, but if McKinley is high on our board it's tough to say no because EDGE isn't a huge need. Similarly, if Marshon Lattimore is available at 17 I think it'd be very hard to pass, even if we don't necessarily need a CB

Breeland his contract runs out. Fuller looks to be in the dog house. Dunbar is questionable as starting corner.  Scot really likes and values DB's...thats why he signed Culliver and Norman and I think in general in Seattle they spend a lot of picks on DB's. And a lot of this years corners have size.

So it would not shock me if we draft one early.

4 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Is TE a luxury pick?  Remember, one of our biggest issues this year was the red zone. Another huge issue was Reed not being 100% down the stretch and w We may be losing our best threats to score outside the red zone.  If we'd just been marginally better in the offensive RZ, we might have been the winner in all but two of our losses and our tie might also have been a win.  We also know we that Cousins likes his TEs and that much of our ball control tactics are based around short passes to TEs.  Finally, we know that the guy who runs the draft is a BPA guy and won't reach in the first round.

No, he wouldn't be a luxury pick. You're right there. Apart from Reed's health issues and the potential of two TE sets, there is also the desperate need to have a blocking TE to help out our running game. A case could be made that improving TE blocking is the best thing we could do for the running game.

5 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't understand how he's 2nd overall.  He looks consistently good against college o-lineman.  Is he going to keep that up against NFL o-lineman?  I don't know.

There is nothing weird about your take on Allen.  I feel the same way.  I think he's being significantly overrated and I think Solomon Thomas and Malik McDowell are way better than him.

I think his draft position comes from being productive two years in a row for great Alabama defenses.  But he's not special.  He's slow off the line of scrimmage and he only wins against single blocks and the bulk of his production comes from all of the favorable match ups he gets playing in a loaded Alabama front. He goes unblocked a lot and that is almost never the case for McDowell and Thomas.  Unlike him, McDowell and Thomas are the straw that stirs the drink for their defenses, and they are both so much more explosive.  They are the two that should be going top five and Allen is the one who should be going late teens or twenties.

16 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I wish I saw what some see in McDowell. I can agree Solomon and Allen being in the same class, I think both are top-15 picks. Allen is a stud

I agree. I like McDowell's size but just don't see him being very productive in the NFL but could be wrong. I absolutely LOVE the thought of Soloman Thomas in a Skins uni. He reminds me of a smaller Suh the way he just throws guys around but without the dirty plays and the guy has a relentless motor and has been called a leader in the locker room. I like Allen too but think he excels best with talent around him like he had at Bama and isn't a guy that's gonna take a game over at least early in his career but once again could be wrong. I heard Cooley say a couple weeks ago that Jonathan Allen helped him move some furniture at his house back in the summer and he's a super nice kid and really smart but I think we have enough nice guys on the team as it is (not that Allen will ever fall to us anyway). I'm not advocating that we start bringing in Vontaze Burfict's or Richie Incognito's but we could def use some more guys that care less about what you think of them and more about letting you know that they came to play from the first snap of the game.

5 hours ago, nemocystem said:

Also...piggybacking on Kiper's statement on this year's draft...& we've kinda been saying it all along, this is a spectacular year for defensive prospects.

Might be why GMSM was spending the 2016 draft adding picks to the 2017 draft. :) 

JP Finley has said multiple times including tonight they are looking heavily at D line early in the draft.   Finley said an agent told him today that he (the agent) has a better shot to grow to 7 feet tall then Malik Hooker dropping to pick #17. 

He said two guys to keep eyes on are:  Wormley and McDowell.   I am guessing Finley was just throwing 2 names out there that he's seen from the draft versus having inside info.

I got the vibe talking to Scot D line is major priority (no shocker of course) but hard for me to see him abandoning his BPA approach.

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

Breeland his contract runs out. Fuller looks to be in the dog house

Fuller may have been sat down, but I don't think he is in the dog house. That implies he is in some sort of trouble.

I think, as a rookie, Fuller got a little overwhelmed. Keep in mind, he was also coming off an injury many thought would keep him from playing early in the year.

I think he will be alright.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

No, he wouldn't be a luxury pick. You're right there. Apart from Reed's health issues and the potential of two TE sets, there is also the desperate need to have a blocking TE to help out our running game. A case could be made that improving TE blocking is the best thing we could do for the running game.

Not 100% sure. I think that's a big part of why Doctson was drafted. A big body in middle of field for tough catches.

3 hours ago, RonPaul said:

I love McKinley as a prospect, but edge is by far not real high on the Skins priorities IMO,  need some athletic 300 lb DL's, ILB and a RB 

I do like Solomon and Foster in your list

anyone into draft apps?  I found a really good one - finally

If McKinley runs as some suspect in the 4.4-4.5 range and he's as good as some say (posed an article where a scout compared to D. Ware) -- I think he indeed fits a need.  We have power rushers but as Cooley likes to say part of the problem on third and long is we don't have a speed edge rusher that for example can go wide 9 and just run by the OT and just freak out the QB. 

If you look at most of the d coordinators they are checking out (except for Bradley) these guys are mostly either disciples or from the tree of Rex Ryan (Pettine, Rob Ryan, Thurman) or Phillips (Manusky, Pagano).    Chris Russell who has been on the money with some of these names before they popped up has said what he learned is they are looking for a defensive coordinator who loves to attack.  

IMO its screaming D line and or D end or OLB depending on if they go 3-4 or 4-3.    As for pass rushers the missing ingredients IMO are: interior pass rush and speed edge rusher.  Trent Murphy, Kerrigan and Preston Smith IMO are variations of each other -- power rushers but not quick first step-speed rushers.      

A player I'd be thrilled to see added to the Redskins -- Haason Reddick, 6'1, 230lbs pass-rusher out of Temple. He might have Von Miller potential.

A former walk-on DB turned standout edge player, Reddick is a hyper-athletic, highly productive pass rusher who seemingly has all the intangibles one could want in a prospect. He was 3rd in the nation in tackles for a loss with 22.5, had 9.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, an interception. He's going to rise on draft boards between now and April.

I'll let some blips do the talking:

He was 6th in Bruce Feldman's "Top 20 Freaks in College Football" for 2016.

A former high school running back whose recruitment was derailed because he had some injuries, Reddick came to Temple in 2012 as a walk-on cornerback and developed into a big-play man. He is now a fifth-year senior and the Owls’ version of Von Miller. The 6-1 Reddick, who like Miller also wears No. 58, has clocked a 4.47 40, broad jumped 10-10, verticalled 36 inches, benches 400-plus and is now weighing in at 235. Last season, he made 12.5 TFLs, had five sacks and five QB hurries. Temple coach Matt Rhule told me Reddick reminded him of Aaron Maybin, who he coached against in the former Penn State star’s final college season. Rhule, a former NFL assistant, says Reddick projects as a 3-4 OLB at the next level. Reddick’s 6.75 3-cone drill this offseason would’ve been the second-fastest by any linebacker at the NFL Combine last February.

Von Miller's combine numbers, for comparison:

40 yard dash: 4.53 combine, 4.49 pro day
3-Cone drill: 6.70 combine, 6.88 pro day
broad jump: 10'06"
vertical: 37"

"The two things that stood out are his motor and his instincts. His pursuit in both the pass rush and the running game are insane," CSNPhilly.com draft analyst Paul Hudrick said of Reddick's game. "He clearly carries the chip of being a walk-on with him when he plays. His ability to play with his hand in the dirt or out of a two-point stance stands out. For a pass rusher, he understands the scheme and is able to diagnose plays and pursue like an inside linebacker.

"I think Haason is indicative of many of the things we do here. The way we try to win here is by putting all of our time, energy and attention into developing the players to be the best that they can be," [Head coach Matt] Rhule said. "You hope that one day you look up and have a bunch of really good football players that are really smart men and tough physical players. You want them to be accountable. I think there is no better example of this then Haason Reddick."

He had his best game on the national stage against Memphis, when he recorded 11 tackles, 5 for a loss, with 2 sacks.

"Haason played probably the best game I have seen a defender play at Temple. Just unworldly what he did during the Memphis game," Rhule said. "Even the little things that don't show up on tape were phenomenal. It was unreal how well he played."

“He’s really got good genetics. He can run and jump and he’s probably the second-fastest guy on our starting defense as a defensive end,” Temple defensive coordinator Phil Snow said of Reddick, who’s been invited to play in the Senior Bowl in late January.

Over his time at Temple, Reddick has been tutored by the likes of Tavon Young, Matt Ioannidis and Tyler Matakevich, all of whom were selected in the 2016 NFL draft. One of the most important things he learned from that trio was leadership. Reddick, along with senior linebacker Avery Williams, are the unquestioned leaders of a stout Temple defense that’s third in the nation in total defense behind only Alabama and Michigan.

When the Owls need a play, the focus falls on those two. Perhaps just as important, when the Owls need a voice to speak up, whether internally or externally to the media, the focus again falls on those two. The leadership role is one Reddick has embraced and that’s not lost on his fellow defenders.

FanSided Scouting Report:

Haason Reddick has spent the majority of his college days working off the edge. At this spot, he uses his athleticism and quickness to put pressure on the quarterback. His role at the next level is more clouded in that he won’t be able to routinely lineup at defensive end.

Reddick will need to move into a linebacker role which shouldn’t be a major problem. He has experience dropping into coverage and the athleticism to play in space. This is a balanced athlete capable of changing direction and quickly closing on the ball carrier.

He reminds me of a poor man’s Bruce Irvin whose best attribute is his ability to create pressure, but someone with the raw talent to be a more versatile contributor.

Reddick doesn’t solely rely on his speed to get after the quarterback. He features good suddenness which allows him change direction. Reddick also does a good job dipping his shoulder and flattening around the edge.

Against the run, he works to set the edge and plays with a ton of effort. Reddick is always in pursuit of the football and does an excellent job closing the backdoor. He does need to improve his hand usage and ability to disengage.

Reddick could step in on Day 1 and be the quick-twitch, bendy situational speed rusher we've long been needing... what we hoped to get with Junior Galette. And over time -- with his athleticism, experience as a DB, and high football IQ -- he could develop into a rangy, versatile, 'queen on the chessboard' type player. As he develops, the 3rd down possibilities with Su'a Cravens could make us one of the hardest defenses to diagnose with a creative defensive coordinator at the helm.

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If McKinley runs as some suspect in the 4.4-4.5 range and he's as good as some say (posed an article where a scout compared to D. Ware) -- I think he indeed fits a need.  We have power rushers but as Cooley likes to say part of the problem on third and long is we don't have a speed edge rusher that for example can go wide 9 and just run by the OT and just freak out the QB. 

If you look at most of the d coordinators they are checking out (except for Bradley) these guys are mostly either disciples or from the tree of Rex Ryan (Pettine, Rob Ryan, Thurman) or Phillips (Manusky, Pagano).    Chris Russell who has been on the money with some of these names before they popped up has said what he learned is they are looking for a defensive coordinator who loves to attack.  

IMO its screaming D line and or D end or OLB depending on if they go 3-4 or 4-3.    As for pass rushers the missing ingredients IMO are: interior pass rush and speed edge rusher.  Trent Murphy, Kerrigan and Preston Smith IMO are variations of each other -- power rushers but not quick first step-speed rushers.      

good point

Well, I finally found a really good draft app and here's my redskins mock

from 

http://draftwired2.com:8888/apps/DraftWired

Trades:
(88) from OAK for (111, 122, 156)

Picks:
Rd 1   Pk  17 - Zach Cunningham (ILB) Vanderbilt
Rd 2   Pk  49 - Alvin Kamara (RB) Tennessee
Rd 3   Pk  81 - Chris Wormley (DE 3/4) Michigan
Rd 3   Pk  88 - Obi Melifonwu (SS) Connecticut
Rd 5   Pk 162 - Ahkello Witherspoon (CB) Colorado
Rd 6   Pk 203 - Carlos Henderson (WR) Louisiana Tech
Rd 7   Pk 239 - Derek Rivers (OLB 3/4) Youngstown State

I'm a big fan of Cunningham, reminds me of a young Derrick Johnson.  Kamara actually reminds me of a sturdier version of Jamaal Charles

You might have guessed, the Chiefs are another team I follow. 

We're all talking about the spine of our defense. Well I think Shawn springs mentioned it easier but you need an animal at ilb. Raekwon McMillan from OSU could b a target. Like most in the board I think Solomon would be my top choice as a dlinemam, but he won't be there at 17, guarantee it. 

My draft crush is Budda Baker out of Washington. Add him along side cravens at ss and you've got some dogs out there!and we need more attitude, more dogs!

And can people stop overlooking Ben Boulware?!?? In the late rounds would love to grab him.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wish Kiper was occasionally right and Hooker falls to us. That'd be amazing.

Hooker, Adam's, O.J. and Ru are the 4 I'm hoping for.

Kiper is the guy that bases his mock on chats with scouts right? Because when the coaches start getting into the proces Hooker will shoot op the board. Scouts will down grade him because his mwha tackle ability. Coaches will be like "that potential! I can learn him to be better in tackling" 

This guy his range is Earl Thomas and Eric Barry like but his tackling bad. The is an issue. 

12 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Breeland his contract runs out. Fuller looks to be in the dog house. Dunbar is questionable as starting corner.  Scot really likes and values DB's...thats why he signed Culliver and Norman and I think in general in Seattle they spend a lot of picks on DB's. And a lot of this years corners have size.

So it would not shock me if we draft one early.

I'd be surprised if we did. Scot seems to be able to find db's that can play well late. All of the db's he had in SF were late round guys who did well on those teams. most of seattle's db's were late round picks as well, with the exception of Thomas who went 14th overall. Plus he found Jarrett here in the 5th and that dude could play before the injury. I think if Scot takes a db real early he must feel REAL strongly about him, like another Norman type talent.. Otherwise I think he can do well in the later rounds.

As for draft picks, I think my #1 for this year is Solomon Thomas.. wow what an athlete. He will go in the top 10 though. Leonard Fournette is amazing as well. I think there may be a slight chance he's there at 17 because of his perceived deficiencies in the pass game.. but what a punisher.

I like Takk Mckinley but not at 17. Tim Williams is an amazing athlete, but I wonder if his wacky tobaccy problem pushes him out of the first.

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Kiper is the guy that bases his mock on chats with scouts right? Because when the coaches start getting into the proces Hooker will shoot op the board. Scouts will down grade him because his mwha tackle ability. Coaches will be like "that potential! I can learn him to be better in tackling" 

This guy his range is Earl Thomas and Eric Barry like but his tackling bad. The is an issue. 

His tackling wont make a difference in where he goes. He's hands down the best ball hawking,  center fielding true FS to come out since Earl Thomas and there really isn't a more important or harder to find position. 

I am 100% sure Hooker will be gone by #17 and I also have a strong feeling that Solomon Thomas will be gone. Since Adams won't be available as well I personally do not have that 1 player i absolutely want. So I really hope we close the holes at DT and ILB (at least one) via free agency and get a halfway servicable veteran to play FS next to Sua so that we can do BPA without any constraints or even trade down.

10 hours ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

A player I'd be thrilled to see added to the Redskins -- Haason Reddick, 6'1, 230lbs pass-rusher out of Temple. He might have Von Miller potential.

Watched his Draft Breakdown video versus Cincy. He is no Von Miller, not very thrilling footage at all actually. 

Blockers easily get their hands on him on the pass rush, moves ineffective. He was turned at will in the run game. His measurables will get him drafted and Temple is a hard nose football school. I loved when we drafted Ionidis because at very least I knew he was a football player. However, pass on this kid outside of a 7th round flyer.

Archived