Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

How likely do you guys see it that Reuben Foster falls to 17? From most mocks it seems very unlikely....but if it happened would you immediately pull the trigger or would it depend on which DT/DE guys are still on the board?

I like foster, but the way he hits is concerning. many of his big shots were really high and would be a penalty every time in the nfl.. hopefully he can adjust his strike zone.

31 minutes ago, mistertim said:

How likely do you guys see it that Reuben Foster falls to 17? From most mocks it seems very unlikely....but if it happened would you immediately pull the trigger or would it depend on which DT/DE guys are still on the board?

I think he'll be on the board at 17.  Smallish stack linebackers who aren't big time playmakers don't usually go in the first half of the first round.  Foster doesn't have the coverage skills that CJ Mosley and Luke Kuechly had.

I'm not sure he would be BPA for me at 17.

1 hour ago, crabbypatty said:

I like foster, but the way he hits is concerning. many of his big shots were really high and would be a penalty every time in the nfl.. hopefully he can adjust his strike zone.

When will he do that? I don't want to sound like Mr. Grumpy but with these limited hitting in practise...it's pretty dam hard to teach hitting stuff or get rid of bad habits. (Kinda annoing rule if you ask me) 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Immediately. I'd even be willing to move up for him. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he'll be on the board at 17.  Smallish stack linebackers who aren't big time playmakers don't usually go in the first half of the first round.  Foster doesn't have the coverage skills that CJ Mosley and Luke Kuechly had.

I'm not sure he would be BPA for me at 17.

Not saying you are wrong but if Foster is still there at #17, current mocks are wildly off on him.   Though to your point, his old MLB teammate, Ragland I recall was popular in the 15-22 or so range in mocks last year but he ultimately fell to the 2nd round.  It's not that I take mocks that seriously -- I take them as mostly driven by scuttlebutt talk-assessments.

Finally started watching Chris Wormley from Michigan.  That is one big Edge player.  Lined him inside some, but mostly 5 tech or a bit wider.  He just weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 296 lbs.  He carries that weight well.  He's got some potential, his technique looks like it needs some work on the outside.  But when he does line up inside, and doesn't get doubled, he can create pressure.

I think he can develop into a versatile DL.  I'd be in favor of drafting him.  CBS lists him as a 2nd rounder.  If he's there at #49, I wonder if McCloughan ditches his recent track record and rolls the dice on a position he doesn't value as highly.

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Finally started watching Chris Wormley from Michigan.  That is one big Edge player.  Lined him inside some, but mostly 5 tech or a bit wider.  He just weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 296 lbs.  

We've had just about every beat reporter stress D line as for what they sense from the team that the top need is.   JP Finley has twice (doubled down) on Wormley and Mcdowell.   Yeah I've watched Wormley some, too.  As you mentioned, he played a lot of DE.   And Charlton was rushing from the other side.  Formidable dual.     Ironically just noticed Finley interviewed Wormley, today.  I doubt even Scot knows who he wants to draft yet.  But I think Wormley is a safe prospect to study in that he's likely one they'd highly consider.

He fits the Scot type of player profile wise.  He's a senior.  He played in the big ten. Team captain.  He seems like an articulate guy, reading some of his quotes.  

#Michigan DL Chris Wormley has been a handful to contain in 1on1's #SeniorBowl

Retweet

2. #Michigan DL Chris Wormley has received praise from the Bears coaching staff during position drills.

#Michigan DE Chris Wormley had a missed tackler percentage of just 6.9% - he was the only North edge player in single digits. #SeniorBowl

#SeniorBowl Redskins very interested Michigan D-Linemen Chris Wormley. Natural scheme fit.

Robbie Duncan Retweeted

Intvwd #Michigan DL Chris Wormley. Dude is MASSIVE and wants to show NFL he can play 3-4. Watch for video on @CSNRedskins.

C2-SXloUEAAO_2l.jpg

I hope this is the right place to ask.  Was there every any resolution about what happened to our 5th round pick that we may or may not have traded to SF for Derek Carrier?  Do we have one or two picks in the 5th round?  (sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or earlier)

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Does anybody have any data on why our redzone fails were fails? To me it seemed we had no banger threat inside the 5.  That would put pressure on you even when you're out of goal-to-go situations.

It's that stupid assed running scheme gruden bright with him. It's so transparent the defense almost always knows run by the personnel (Ryan Grant) and those lame pack everyone in the middle of the field formations. Running traps inside the 5 ain't gonna get it done.

2 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

I hope this is the right place to ask.  Was there every any resolution about what happened to our 5th round pick that we may or may not have traded to SF for Derek Carrier?  Do we have one or two picks in the 5th round?  (sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or earlier)

That 5th is gone, I believe...the question is whether Carrier played enough snaps. If he didn't, we get a 7th back I believe. Common thought around here is that there's no way he played enough.

7 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

When will he do that? I don't want to sound like Mr. Grumpy but with these limited hitting in practise...it's pretty dam hard to teach hitting stuff or get rid of bad habits. (Kinda annoing rule if you ask me) 

I was just studying your sig.  We know the answer to 1, will know the answer to q2 next month but no answer to q3 until April.  If you had added something about FA, maybe there would be a question that would probably be answered in March.

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

I was just studying your sig.  We know the answer to 1, will know the answer to q2 next month but no answer to q3 until April.  If you had added something about FA, maybe there would be a question that would probably be answered in March.

Good one! Will try that thx 

6 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Does anybody have any data on why our redzone fails were fails? To me it seemed we had no banger threat inside the 5.  That would put pressure on you even when you're out of goal-to-go situations.

Did you see the lack of push from the OL? There is your answer.

14 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

Just out of curiosity in keeping with healthy banter, when you watch Cunningham for example, does a certain type of penalty come to mind when analyzing his tackles? 

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We've had just about every beat reporter stress D line as for what they sense from the team that the top need is.  

So now we're using need as the basis for our draft strategy? 

Because the implication being stated here is contrary to the narrative told before, that going need in the draft is bad, that McC is a pure BPA ideologue. I keep being told by ES how McC operates, yet the logic espoused by the media here contradicts that. 

I've lost count the number of times the media guys have drawn huge conclusions to prospects that the Skins have interviewed, or shown interest in, or dropped crumbs about. 

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

JP Finley has twice (doubled down) on Wormley

Which selection is being referenced in relation to Wormley? 

Steve Frederick ‏@SportsGuyTweets  3h3 hours ago#Michigan DL Chris Wormley has been a handful to contain in 1on1's #SeniorBowl

I watched the North practice and saw a few reps by Wormley, neither handful nor contain were words that popped into my mind.

NFL_DRAFT_Bites ‏@NFLDraftBites  4h4 hours ago

More

#SeniorBowl Redskins very interested Michigan D-Linemen Chris Wormley. Natural scheme fit.

So maybe I'm the only one who finds these associations lazy. I don't want to get into the whole 3-4 -- Nickel Base **** again, but I get so tired of folks "scheme fitting" us with base 3-4 front 5-Techs, as if that even relates to us anymore. Unless we hybridize the way our 4 man front operates ... and I could get more detailed about that. Just, ugh.

JP FinlayVerified account ‏@JPFinlayCSN 

Intvwd #Michigan DL Chris Wormley. Dude is MASSIVE and wants to show NFL he can play 3-4.

So, the guy who weighs just under 300 lbs is massive compared to all the other guys who weigh 300 lbs or more? I'm not quite following Finlay's logic here. I will recognizing that the 33 and 1/2 inch arm measurement is a good measurement, if the conversation relates to 5-Tech and 2-Gap. 

2 minutes ago, theboomking said:

Monk, what did you see from Wormley in the practices? How did he look to you?

I didn't see anything to draw any conclusions from. I honestly don't know how anybody could on a pretty limited rep Day 1. The tweet reeks of exaggeration or outright speculation. But folks like to micro analyze everything from the Senior Bowl.

Honestly, all you want to see, all I want to see, is an affirmation of the film. You want the reps and the technique and the body size to align with the game film if you are trying to solidify anything concrete. And, all I can tell you from the film I've seen of Wormley, so far, is "meh." Not really impressed at all. 

There was limited coverage of the practice on NFL network, I imagine there could have been something in a rep or two that guys on the field saw. I'm not in Mobile, even though I'd love to be, so, maybe he beat the dude from Bucknell badly and everyone desperate for a headline ran to the phone booth to call their editor. IDK. 

Archived