Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I understand the common group think on the board by some is multiple positions on defense have about equal weight as to being desperate needs.  And they have invested so much time making that point -- that they have a hard time buying in that the FO might not agree.    That's fine.  People can stick to whatever opinion serves them.   It doesn't bother me at all.  But, it doesn't faze my point of view and for good reason.   

Dude, no one is questioning whether we should improve the defensive line. No one. 

You want my opinion on if we should? Yes, I agree. Let's have lunch together and I'll tell how much I want to improve the d-line too. You remember clearly my stance one year ago on the subject. I was upset back then at, get this, a team with a clear deficiency at the defensive line unit who didn't go hog wild in a draft which had beaucoup depth in the d-line class. Right? Novel thought. 

Like, had I had my druthers we could have walked away with Reed, Hargrave and Ioannidis. You think our appraoch to this year's draft would be different if we had them three here now instead of just Ioannidis? Honestly, I don't know that I wouldn't have taken Myles Jack at 22 because, as you know, MLB is part of the "run stopping" Front 7 you keep citing. 

And I didn't just start believing in the "depth" thing because I read some media guy write it, it was actually something I felt from looking at the class. You allow the evaluation of the class per that particular year and the evaluation of the specific player to dictate your draft, you don't presuppose or horse blinder your way into it. 

So while they may seem like completely disparate in philosophy, we were a heartbeat away from drafting Todd Gurley at #5 overall instead of Scherff. But because, (this is what I believe), the foundation of the o-line wasn't there, I felt like going Scherff was the priority ahead of Gurley, even though Gurley was my next choice. There was no great overarching philosophy. 

No one is questioning whether your info is correct or whether your interpretation of McC's apparently crystal clear forthcoming honesty is right. Guy, I believe you. You don't have to convince me. I'm not arguing the validity of going after d-line.

But you don't seem to understand what I'm pointing out here. We get "OMG, McC is hellbent to fix the d-line" ... therefore ... insert every reason to avoid every other position and only talk about d-line. Ok, exaggeration? Yes. I laughed when you cited the beat reporters who go from, "McC is hellbent to fix the d-line," to ... "oh, look here are my scouting notes on d-linemen in the draft, just coincidentally." The same people a year ago told everyone that going to the draft to fill needs leads to mistakes. It goes contrary to what the same people said a year ago justifying an athlete WR who didn't have a route tree and why McC doesn't go for need, and blah-blah-blah.

It's not that I subscribe to that aforementioned notion, not at all. It's just funny to me how people's stories change from year to year. Cause usually everyone on ES tells me, for when someone gets so obsessed with one position and goes after need in the draft it may cloud them from actually seeing the more correct play. Understand? I'm not saying that's the case here. It's a generalized sentiment. 

Can you answer me though, is there anything to be gained for McC himself in being so clear, so honest, and having the beat guys announcing his players three months before the fact? I'm not implying anything other than asking what benefit does it give him? More favorable press? It's not like I even care, or that I think it's important.

Incidentally, I don't follow the beat reporter guys at all. It's not that I think they're wrong, or that I think they don't have insight, it's that ... harken back to the age old debate since the birth of the internet in the draftnik community, "I don't care so much as to what WILL happen, as much as I care what SHOULD happen."

Got me? 

Honestly this is getting tiresome. Can we just get back to film study and stop trying to read the palms of McC?

Reading about some buzz for Alex Anzalone. Not suprised by that. Guy is a playmaker when he is on the field. Super athletic and always there to make a play on the ball(carrier). Probleme is...he wasn't a lot on the field.   

If you take this guy you do it on raw potential and good medical report. It's not his broken arm of last season that worries me but the returning shoulder injury in his first years. 

The more I read about Dalvin Tomlinson, the more I'm sure this is a Scot guy. Senior, praised by teammates and coaches for his hard work and football IQ, played at big school, has the physical ability. Like him for our day two pick. 

Not sure about the Obi Melifonwu hype. We really need one of does breakdown video's of this guy because he looks interesting in practise...but had not heard a lot about him before senior bowl. (WTF is this part of my post bigger on mobile ?)

3 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

The more I read about Dalvin Tomlinson, the more I'm sure this is a Scot guy. Senior, praised by teammates and coaches for his hard work and football IQ, played at big school, has the physical ability. Like him for our day two pick. 

Totally. This is a guy We should want.  

Good character, big run stuffer, high school heavyweight wrestling champ, etc. strong, good with hands and well balanced. 

where is he likely to be drafted? 3rd?

16 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

you don't seem to understand what I'm pointing out here. We get "OMG, McC is hellbent to fix the d-line" ... therefore ... insert every reason to avoid every other position and only talk about d-line. Ok, exaggeration? Yes. I laughed when you cited the beat reporters who go from, "McC is hellbent to fix the d-line," to ... "oh, look here are my scouting notes on d-linemen in the draft, just coincidentally." The same people a year ago told everyone that going to the draft to fill needs leads to mistakes. It goes contrary to what the same people said a year ago justifying an athlete WR who didn't have a route tree and why McC doesn't go for need, and blah-blah-blah.

Lets bring context to this discussion.  I am not just flailing around telling people not to look at players from other positions.  Read my own posts on this thread where I talk about wanting guys like D. Cook.   

The two points that generated this conversation were

A.  a reporter referred to getting word about them considering 2 players -- I said they fit the profile, I said its worth examining those guys and players like them

B.  I didn't sense that MLB is a desperate need to the degree where Scot would abandon his philosophy of not trading up for players so he can land Foster (unless he was completely infatuated with said player)

So to your last point unless you got more to say about this exchange, I'd love to move on, too.   And I enjoyed the debate so again all in good spirits :)

13 hours ago, RonPaul said:

2nd round for Riley?  wow, I don't see it.  draftwired has him as a 4th rounder.  various players (Riley for example) you can see anywhere from 3 to 6. We all have our opinions but I'm a bit surprised to hear you say he'd be a fantastic value in rd 2.

it you want to see a realistic and neat simulator and a group draft that is killer you should go to http://draftwired2.com:8888/apps/DraftWired

Keep in mind that draft boards for all of the sites and media guys are much more fluid for Day 2 and Day 3 prospects.  You'll see guys projected to go Round 6 in January, suddenly projected to go a few rounds earlier in April.  There are a lot of players, a lot of tape, and a lot of stuff to talk about with scouts.  We're just in the 2nd big pre-draft event (Senior Bowl), and media guys spend a lot of time trying to rub elbows with Scouts, GM's, Coaches, etc to get their take on prospects.

The Combine is the biggest event, not just because of the measurables, but because Media guys get access to a ton of NFL personnel.  So media big boards start shifting around.

11 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I can see somewhat why you're getting upside with Riley. He looks fluid and coordinated. He seems to run pretty well. But he's also overpursuing. He was missing cutback gaps in the Ole Miss tape. Then he decided to take the inside shoulder of a pulling tackle instead of the outside shoulder for containment on a counter-trey in the Ole Miss tape. Back to Back plays.

He bounced a gap on the goalline as well that produced a TD. He also doesn't look particularly physical taking on linemen. That's to say, he losses battles when guys get onto him. His most impressive plays seem to come when he's shooting a gap. Not sure if those instances are coach called run blitzes or he's just reading and reacting upfield.

While I've only looked at the two cut-ups, my off the cuff grade was roughly 3rd/4th round.

One thing I like about him, is that while he's got a lack of experience, he's shown significant growth throughout the season.  His early season game against Wisconsin wasn't as good as his later season games.  I think he's still got potential, and he can be more than what he's shown.  He might not make the mistakes he made next season as he did the season prior.

I think most of them are him reading and reacting upfield.  I see a pause, him do a mirror step or something with the RB or FB then go downhill.

He isn't decisively engaging and winning with OL, but he's not letting himself be blocked on some of these plays, he's try to get around fight through it.  The play starting around 44 seconds of the Ole Miss tape is something I'm referencing.  He absorbs the WR block and then starts moving down hill, absorbs the OL shoulder into him, then bends around the OL to share in the tackle.

Check out the play against Alabama at 5:40.  Not a 3rd down stop like Patrick Willis, but similar type of tackle.  Willis's play was a bit better in how he navigated the blocker in front of him, but Riley reading and flowing with the RB is impressive here.  (Doesn't have the teammate hype that Willis or Foster created, which would've been a perfect comparison if that had happened)

Very next play at 5:50, it's a bad angle to see the blockers and what's going on, but the end result is that Riley is magically through the line and has wrapped up the RB's legs with #18 helping clean it up.

11 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I haven't really examined Beckwith's tape but between the two I like Beckwith more just from watching both in the Riley cut-ups. He's got a tad bit more size and seemingly more strength, though Beckwith running around 2nd level blocks doesn't help him in my book. Beckwith doesn't seem to have any depreciable loss of speed to Riley, at full speed. And it seems that Beckwith has more forceful tackles, but I'd have examine his tape to really stand by that. 

What I don't like about Beckwith is what you mention, he's big but not as physical with blockers.  He's also not the guy whose trying to take them on first, that's Duke Riley.  He flows over the top and around, but without the Reuben Foster speed to make it look like a good idea.  He doesn't have that Chris Borland maneuvering that somehow could get into and out of traffic with ease and navigate all the way to the sideline.  Borland wasn't fast, but he didn't lose time because he took good angles and navigated blockers really well.  I don't think Beckwith has that.  I think Beckwith's change of direction is a little limited but his straight line speed is alright.  He does hit hard when he can line up the runner, and I think that's why he's gotten more hype over the college season.

P.S.  We had a long (I think?  Not really sure) meeting with Ben Gedeon, ILB from Michigan at the Senior Bowl.  From watching Gedeon, he's measured as a good sized ILB, 6'1 and 5/8ths and 243 lbs at the Senior Bowl.  I think he's a Day 3 pick from film (check out #42 in Wormley, Glasgow, or Peppers film on draftbreakdown, there's no specific cutup for Gedeon) but his best trait is clearly his quick reads and decision making.  He recognizes the play and goes downhill, he plays "fast" despite not being actually fast, so it looks like he's got more wheels than he has.

That reminds me of Su'a Cravens, play recognition and then acceleration downhill towards it.  Cravens can blow plays up in the backfield from his read and react.  I'm thinking quick read and decisive react is one of the traits that Scot McCloughan is looking for in box defenders, ILB or SS.  Duke Riley has that read and react ability as well.

Redskins reportedly met with Lamar CB Brendon Langley and Michigan DT Ryan Glasgow at #seniorbowl , per @walterfootball

Broncos and Redskins have interviewed slot/PR Trent Taylor. FYI, he's had no concussions. #seniorbowl @NFLFemale

#SeniorBowl standout WR Josh Reynolds getting a lot of attention from #Redskins, who are in the market for receivers

Montravius Adams
A three-year starter as a nose tackle at Auburn, Adams checks in at 6-foot-4, 309 pounds. 

During his time with the Tigers, Adams appeared in 52 games, collecting 151 tackles along with 11 sacks, three fumbles forced, three fumbles recovered and two interceptions.

Adams – who confirmed he met with the Redskins in Mobile -- participated in this year’s Senior Bowl to show he can be a “consistent player” regardless of the system he is placed in

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/A-Look-At-Some-Of-The-Senior-Bowl-Defensive-Linemen/6f001efe-08e2-4195-9fcb-530a8f8b5aea

Washington Redskins - USC offensive tackle Zach Banner and Ohio defensive end Tarell Basham 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017meetings5.php#5loGQ6YXpQkkpZ1F.99

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

#SeniorBowl standout WR Josh Reynolds getting a lot of attention from #Redskins, who are in the market for receivers

Watching some of him now.  Tall, fast, large catch radius, can go up and get contested passes over corners.  Doesn't have the Josh Doctson leaping ability and insane body control, but very few do.  He tries to do a few things with setting up routes, but most of what they ask the WR's to do are basic.  A bit of a long strider, he's got some deep speed once he opens up his stride.  CBS is projecting 4th round.  That's probably right.  I think he could be good value in the 4th, but I can see why teams might pass on him.  Not seeing an ability to plant hard and change direction while moving, but then again Texas A&M offense might not even ask him to do that.  Haven't seen deep digs or something to really show how he handles those routes.

Biggest takeaway, the Texas A&M QB blows.  He's awful.  Plenty of times where he just misses the WR, TE, whoever by 5 yards in a random direction.  He also thinks he's far faster scrambling than he actually is.

Here is a list of prospects we've met with from the East/West shrine game through this weeks Senior Bowl practices. Feel free to add names that I may have missed.

E/W Shrine 

Tony Stevens - WR - Auburn (6'4" 213)
Joey Ivie - DL - Florida (6'3" 300)
De'veon Smith - RB - Michigan (5'11" 228)
Channing Stribling - CB - Michigan (6'2" 182)
Avery Moss - OLB - Youngstown St. (6'4" 270)
Eric Austell - OT - Charleston So. (6'4" 285)
Billy Brown - WR - Shepherd (6'4" 245)

Senior Bowl
Connor Harris - ILB - Lindenwood (5'11" 241)
Forrest Lamp - OT/OG - WKU (6'4" 295) 
Josh Reynolds - WR - Texas A&M (6'3" 187)
Marquez White - CB - FSU (6'0" 184)
Brendan Langley - CB - Lamar (6'0" 199)
Ryan Glasgow - DT - Michigan (6'3" 299)
Zach Banner - OT - USC (6'8" 361)
Tarell Basham - EDGE - Ohio (6'4" 259)
Duke Riley - ILB - LSU (6'1" 231)
Ben Gedeon - ILB - Michigan (6'2" 243)
Trent Taylor - WR - La. Tech (5'8" 177)
Montravius Adams - DL - Auburn (6'3" 308)

1 hour ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Cant get youtube video to embed for some reason... its a highlight cut up of Demontae Kazee FWIW

i know people likely wont watch since its not embeded but its seriously worth the click guys

Fixed it for ya. :) 

Jarrad Davis is quickly becoming one of my favorite players in this draft.  His closing speed is incredible and he covers very well for an ILB.  I'm starting to feel like he may end up being an ever better pro than Foster.  It's impressive watching him just toss OL out of his way and blowing up plays in the backfield.  He's a tremendous talent that I feel would be more than worthy of the 17th pick.

I think I'd put my top 5 for our pick currently at:

1.Solomon Thomas

2.Jarrad Davis

3.Dalvin Cook

4.Cam Robinson

5.Mike Williams

And a wild card for our first round pick I'd say TJ Watt.  Not simply based off of his last name, the guy is a stud. Seems like the type of player Scot would love to have on the roster and I doubt he'd last to our second round pick.

9 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Jarrad Davis is quickly becoming one of my favorite players in this draft.  His closing speed is incredible and he covers very well for an ILB.  I'm starting to feel like he may end up being an ever better pro than Foster.  It's impressive watching him just toss OL out of his way and blowing up plays in the backfield.  He's a tremendous talent that I feel would be more than worthy of the 17th pick.

Hes another player that makes me want to trade back. I'd much rather have a Jarrad Davis or Haasan Reddick AND one of the second tier D-lineman like Tomlinson/Adams/Watkins/Brantley over taking Reuben Foster or Malik McDowell.

The overall improvement to our defense would be much greater, not to mention I feel like the drop off from the second tier of DL and especially the ILBs go from first year starters to developmental prospects.

The media says we are high on Malik McDowell but im not buying it. Not a senior and has well documented questions about his love of the game and inconsistent effort. If Scot is going to take a shot on an underclassman or a questionable effort guy I think hed be more comfortable with the odds in a later selection like Montravius. He has the same questions about him but at least he has more tape, got to see his coachability in the senior bowl practices(did great from the reports ive seen), etc.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Redskins met with Michigan ILB Ben Gedeon today for around 10+ minutes today I'm told per source. ILB one of several needs on defense.

Anyone that watched any game knows ILB is a major need.

1 hour ago, Taylor703 said:

Isn't he smaller than Cravens? We need big bully backers inside if we're one gapping.

Just now, DC Lumber Co. said:

Hes another player that makes me want to trade back. I'd much rather have a Jarrad Davis or Haasan Reddick AND one of the second tier D-lineman like Tomlinson/Adams/Watkins/Brantley over taking Reuben Foster or Malik McDowell.

The overall improvement to our defense would be much greater, not to mention I feel like the drop off from the second tier of DL and especially the ILBs go from first year starters to developmental prospects.

The media says we are high on Malik McDowell but im not buying it. Not a senior and has well documented questions about his love of the game and inconsistent effort. If Scot is going to take a shot on an underclassman or a questionable effort guy I think hed be more comfortable with the odds in a later selection like Montravius. He has the same questions about him but at least he has more tape, got to see his coachability in the senior bowl practices(did great from the reports ive seen), etc.

Yeah dude, I agree. I'm shocked at how little the draft guys seem to think of Davis.  To me he's every bit the LB Foster is and his coverage skills might even be better.  I can't watch him without marveling at his speed on the field.  

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Anyone that watched any game knows ILB is a major need.

Isn't he smaller than Cravens? We need big bully backers inside if we're one gapping.

Hes 6'1" - 240lbs. Not small at all. Same size as Patrick Willis. Reuben Foster is 6'1" 245

Id say hes right behind Foster with his hitting and ability to be a "bully"/enforcer type. 

EDIT- Correction: He's listed as 6'2" - 238 but I think youll see his official height be 6'1" and some change after the combine.

49 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Jarrad Davis

When I watched Davis in 2015 he gave me an overall impression similar to Stephone Anthony. Davis' teammate Antonio Morrison was a big hitter, a crusher. Whereas Davis through his passion was a tone setter in his own way. Davis does have his portfolio of hard hits too.

Morrison has had playing time in all 16 games this his year rookie after being a 4th round pick. Together they really complimented each other's sentences, metaphorically, as football players. 

Davis has been described by his coaches as intense, very motivated and totally committed to football. I don't think you'll ever have to worry about effort from him. He definitely has that closing speed, but it has gotten him in trouble because he's really a straightline heat seeker. So, at times he'll commit to the attack with a full head of steam and the ball carrier makes a last second adjustment to avoid the hit. 

I think Davis still has some needed improvement in pass coverage. If it's Man and he's able to run with the route immediately, he definitely has enough speed to keep pace. So you know, Wheel route, TE drag, stuff like that he's good with the immediate turn and run things. In Zone, not so much, kind of lost. 

Davis is similar to Foster in that both bring great intensity and passion. So that definitely counts. I do think Davis' 2015 tape is better than this year, but he has been dealing with an ankle injury all season, so take account for that in film study. 

53 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I'm shocked at how little the draft guys seem to think of Davis.  

By draft guys you mean?

Jeremiah, for example lists him #30 in his Top 50. To me that's more than complimentary. 

Archived