Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

I just get the vibe that as much as we like the early round inside backers this year that between the front office devaluing the position and our recent mid to late round picks at the position they wont be wearing B&G this year.

I think ILB will be treated like WR and CB in that we keep throwing mid-late round picks at the problem until someone blossoms. I think we're high on Martrell Spaight, and we havent even seen what we have in Steven Daniels yet. 

Unless Reuben Foster falls in our lap and Manusky bangs on the table for him, picks like Duke Riley and Connor Harris are more likely. I had my fingers crossed that Haasan Reddick would stay in sleeper-status but his stock blew up this week. I think his ceiling is Navarro Bowman with better pass rushing moves and due to him playing the position for the first time in the pros I'd go as far as to say he has the highest potential in the entire class.

1 minute ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I think we're high on Martrell Spaight, and we havent even seen what we have in Steven Daniels yet. 

You can still be high on Spaight and develop Daniels all you want while at the same time bringing in legit competition. If Compton or Mason Foster are starters next year, then the FO has failed, point blank. 

Personally, I tender Compton only to bring in a FA LB to challenge his roster spot, then draft a dude to run laps around him in order to slam dunk his roster cut. Don't mind double dipping LB, honestly. 

8 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

You can still be high on Spaight and develop Daniels all you want while at the same time bringing in legit competition. 

I'm with you 100%. I just get the feeling that the competition is more likely to come from another mid to late round pick and what we have in house, rather than our 1st or 2nd rounder. Unless like I said, Foster is there at #17 and our new defensive coordinator bangs on the table for him.

The bargain deals ILBs have been signing in FA further proves my point that the front office may not feel like they aren't worth a high pick.

Its all speculation, of course. We may, as fans, think ILB is a bigger need than it really is because the play may improve with upgrades to the dline that keep them clean. 

2 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I just get the vibe that as much as we like the early round inside backers this year that between the front office devaluing the position and our recent mid to late round picks at the position they wont be wearing B&G this year.

What? We treat WR with 2 of our highest paid players and a 1rst round pick.

CB is the top paid player in the league and a 3rd and 4rth round pick.

ILB is a street free agent, UDFA starting and 2 end of the draft flyers.

Only thing more neglected than ILB is safety, where we put slow corners and ST players from other teams.

What a joke. I hope next year we're a legit team.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

ILB is a street free agent, UDFA starting and 2 end of the draft flyers.

Team carried 6 ILBs on the roster last year, 5 active, with Daniels on IR.

Current state: Compton is a RFA, Foster has one remaining yr under contract, Garvin is an UFA, Zach Vigil has one yr remaining on contract, Spaight through 2018, Daniels through 2019.

There are an additional two guys with futures contracts. The likelyhood those guys play for us, let alone make the 53, pretty slim. 

So you got four in-house, currently. 

If you do nothing about bringing back Compton or Garvin, you've lost 2 of the 6, and the 2 came from the active 5. In the most basic tit-for-tat scenario, one FA and one draftee is basic math. 

When I thought about what I wanted to do, I actually felt like signing two FAs and drafting two ILBs interested me a lot. The idea being have 8/9 guys compete for 5/6 spots. Ultimately, have a new starting two and preferably a new back-up two, with the chance of Compton and Foster cut.  

Preliminarily I wanted Jamie Collins and Sio Moore, with the draft list completely unfinished, but R. Foster and J. Davis were the two who I didn't have reservations on. Someone like Vince Beigel is one I could see transition from OLB to stack. With Collins gone, I've got to open that FA list up again. Jon Bostic was another guy I noticed at first glance. How bout you? 

He drafted an all pro at 11 in SF and was totally crazy about this one unknown ILB prospect the first years he came here. 

So I don't think he devaluates the LB position. It's just that he didn't like one when we where on the board. In 2015 he was kinda out position. Stephone Anthony went just before our second round pick and Kendricks and McKinney where probally rated below Preston.

2016 we could have take Ragland or Jack with first rounder.  But first one was probally lower on Scot his board and second one had injury red flags. Jones was just picked by the Falcons before our second rounder came up. We then did pick a LB in Su'a. In the 3th round we could have taken Virgil.  

So there werent a lot of times I would have said. Scot you should have taken the ILB. Yeah maybe in 2015 because I was high on Kendricks but I understand Preston. Thought he was also a first round talent. 

Like I said... I'm doing my best to speculate given the information we have at our disposal spoon fed from us via first hand accounts and the media, draft history, the faith of the coaching staff in Will Compton, etc. Either theory could be correct or incorrect and if I'm way off base I'd still be over the moon if we take Foster, Davis, Reddick, any of them. Just as it stands my gut feeling is that we find a way to justify a Dlineman, Corner, or FS with our 1st or 2nd rounder.

Now if we go further back you could make the case that Scot likes him some inside backers too ie: Willis, Bowman. I just think the game has changed a little since then with the evolution of the modern offenses and therfore I think scots philosophy has adjusted accordingly.

either way, ill be happy if we select SOMEONE on defense haha

4 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Said since the start of the regime when Knighton was signed. Hasn't happened. At this point I'm basically saying prove it. 

We just keep kickin that can.

The inside linebackers actually played a lot better when the defense had both Knighton and Hatcher. 

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

What? We treat WR with 2 of our highest paid players and a 1rst round pick.

CB is the top paid player in the league and a 3rd and 4rth round pick.

Exactly. Scot has a history of putting more resources into Wide Receiver and DB via draft picks more than any other position. He loves taking skill positions in the first round and even in years where he doesn't take a WR or DB in the first he almost always takes a mid to late round flier on a WR, DB, and to a lesser extent QB.

Garcon was already onboard, Jackson and Norman were both rare occurences that fell into our lap in free agency, Fuller supports the idea that he likes to take multiple shots at DB in the mid to late rounds and even Breeland if you think that Bruce was paying for his scouting services the year before we brought him onboard full-time.

Again, im not arguing for one approach or the other. Simply trying to take the best educated guess at who might be wearing the B&G next year based on our GMs tendencys. Does it upset me too that some of my favorite prospects and certain positions get wiped off the board because of that? Yup. But Scot also knows a lot more than me.

@Monk4thaHALL I'm in total agreement. Id love to sign Timmons. We've had luck with older vet LBs and having a coach on the field with a bunch of young guys wouldn't hurt.

I really wanted Hendricks that year too. Wish Scot didn't outsmart himself with Anthony. Wanted Mata last year.

I'd be happy signing 2 FAs and using our first 2 picks on the position honestly, along with a later pick.

I don't know where to project Reddick. He played mostly with his hand down in college, but is going to be asked to stand up in the NFL. At the Senior Bowl, he apparently looked great in space and ran with receivers as well as DB's did at times. I'd take him over Jarrad Davis for his apparent range in coverage and pass rushing ability. Reddick just looks like the more versatile and dynamic athlete. I wouldn't be stunned to see Reddick go 17, but could also see him going mid to late second because of the change in position. While I like Reddick, I am hoping someone truly dynamic falls to 17.  Dalvin Cook, Jabril Peppers, Reuben Foster, Malik Hooker, Solomon Thomas. I think Thomas may be the least likely to fall out of that group. His stock seems so hot right now.  

Also, Everyone has been talking up DL, which is an obvious need, but nobody has really been talking about fixing our pass rush. We don't have a truly dynamic player there, and Scott partially built his defenses in San Fran and Seattle on the foundation of a great pass rush. What do you guys think we do there?

33 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Senior Bowl take:  OJ Howard ... man among boys.

Agree. He is special. Imagine a 2TE set with Howard and Jordan Reed. He may creep up out of our range. Honestly, if there is no impact defender at 17, and we go heavy on DL and safety in the draft, imagine Cam Robinson at RG. Williams-Scherff-Long-Robinson-Moses. That line is scary good. 

48 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am probably the most defense minded jerk on this board and O.J. is my top choice. 

Assuming everything I've read about Howard is true and he is available at 17, I'd at least have a hard time going another direction. People need to remember that the offense RZ issues were a large part of why we did not win our division.  I'd also say that a large part of our offensive and defensive performance suffered when Reed was not the man getting all those forward hand-offs.

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Well, there is at least one word in that post I agree with.

But Howard could easily be my top choice depending on if any of a few defenders drop or not.

I think you're alright.

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Assuming everything I've read about Howard is true and he is available at 17, I'd at least have a hard time going another direction. People need to remember that the offense RZ issues were a large part of why we did not win our division.  I'd also say that a large part of our offensive and defensive performance suffered when Reed was not the man getting all those forward hand-offs.

I'm pretty soured on Reed.

50 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I wouldnt be unhappy with OJ. He could also be prime trade bait if he lasts to us at 17. 

Need to go watch some cut ups of Kareem Hunt and Zay Jones after their performances today. 

Duke Riley and Montravius looked good too.

Zay Jones -- with that dude's catch radius -- red zone target we need :) though I admit I had no idea who the heck the dude was until this week.   Now people are talking him up as a possible 2nd-3rd rounder. 

Jordan Willis had a big day.  Noticed they only have 2 draftbreakdown games for him.  I liked what I saw against Stanford (haven't watched the other yet) -- he's a disruptive guy, swim move, created fumbles.  He played against the RT though.  Played wide a lot.  I know he tested well speed wise at the senior bowl but he's a long strider so wonder if he's a true speed rusher.   IMO if we add another edge guy -- I think it needs to be a guy with quick step burst that can just tee off.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I would say that if we draft Howard and Doctson is healthy next year, there are no excuses for Cousins to not excel in the red zone.

I like Howard but specific to your point as to the red zone -- I'd replace him with Fournette or Adams or Kamara or Foreman or choose a stud in this NFL draft.   IMO the red zone issues won't be fixed merely via more passing weapons -- the running game is essential to it.   

The draft is so loaded and deep at CB and RB be surprised if one isn't drafted -- arguably TE, too.    Wonder the same about speed edge rusher. Maybe Scot could trade down in the first by making a deal with his pal John Scheider -- and he can more picks.    The one thing I hate about this draft is its tailor made to solving two (aside from O line) of the Giants major issues which is RB and TE.  That's my nightmare about Howard, seeing him play for NY.  That and Cook playing for Philly.

Archived