Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

Just now, Hail2theSkins24 said:

@Bonez3 Pretty harsh. I think he can develop into a very good pass rusher. 3rd-4th round type guy 

I know he has high grades but I just go off the limited film available. I'm not a scout, but I've now watched 2 films on him and do not see him as an impact player. Somebody will draft him before the 4th round, but I wouldn't. 

I like coming in here and putting my names to things, right or wrong. Time will tell

4 hours ago, fanfrompotomac said:

We're all talking about the spine of our defense. Well I think Shawn springs mentioned it easier but you need an animal at ilb. Raekwon McMillan from OSU could b a target. Like most in the board I think Solomon would be my top choice as a dlinemam, but he won't be there at 17, guarantee it. 

My draft crush is Budda Baker out of Washington. Add him along side cravens at ss and you've got some dogs out there!and we need more attitude, more dogs!

And can people stop overlooking Ben Boulware?!?? In the late rounds would love to grab him.

Had to do it... One of the best 

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wish Kiper was occasionally right and Hooker falls to us. That'd be amazing.

Hooker, Adam's, O.J. and Ru are the 4 I'm hoping for.

That's totally unrealistic man.  Hooker is top 10 if not top 5, cinch

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

I'd really like to get Caleb Brantley with our first pick and Marcus Williams with our 2nd round pick.

Nab a ILB and a rusher like Melvin Ingram with our cap space and the defense is looking a lot better. 

Then let SM find some gems with the rest of the picks

How do you deploy Brantley?  as a 5 tech?  from what I've seen he's not a good fit for a 3/4.  Too short for 5 tech, not a natural nose. He fits best as a 3t in a 4/3 IMO.

19 hours ago, RonPaul said:

Well, I finally found a really good draft app and here's my redskins mock

from 

http://draftwired2.com:8888/apps/DraftWired

Trades:
(88) from OAK for (111, 122, 156)

Picks:
Rd 1   Pk  17 - Zach Cunningham (ILB) Vanderbilt
Rd 2   Pk  49 - Alvin Kamara (RB) Tennessee
Rd 3   Pk  81 - Chris Wormley (DE 3/4) Michigan
Rd 3   Pk  88 - Obi Melifonwu (SS) Connecticut
Rd 5   Pk 162 - Ahkello Witherspoon (CB) Colorado
Rd 6   Pk 203 - Carlos Henderson (WR) Louisiana Tech
Rd 7   Pk 239 - Derek Rivers (OLB 3/4) Youngstown State

I'm a big fan of Cunningham, reminds me of a young Derrick Johnson.  Kamara actually reminds me of a sturdier version of Jamaal Charles

You might have guessed, the Chiefs are another team I follow. 

Have said it before, I am a big fan of drafting Kamara,great  all-round back.Think he's going to be a star for some NFL team,I am hoping it's going to be the Redskins.

2 hours ago, RonPaul said:

That's totally unrealistic man.  Hooker is top 10 if not top 5, cinch

How do you deploy Brantley?  as a 5 tech?  from what I've seen he's not a good fit for a 3/4.  Too short for 5 tech, not a natural nose. He fits best as a 3t in a 4/3 IMO.

There's about 20 guys in the top 10 right now. I know it's unrealistic that Hooker slides to us, which I said, but that doesn't change how happy I'd be if he did.

JP Finley on the radio today doubled down on the idea (he said the same yesterday) that they may closely consider McDowell and Chris Wormley

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/football/2017/01/20/spartans-malik-mcdowell-enigma-heading-into-nfl-draft-season/96852576/?hootPostID=c4c82e619de98e9f08f835919bb7ce69

ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said this year has the makings of a “great defensive draft,” especially at cornerback and on the line.

But one player whom NFL teams are struggling to rate is Michigan State defensive tackle Malik McDowell.

“He’s an enigma,” Kiper said in a teleconference Thursday. “He’s got all this talent and he showed it two years ago and then, this year, it was underwhelming. His grade kept dropping -- he’s now 20 on (my) big board. I got him going to Oakland at 24. He should be in the top five, based on talent. He should be a top-five pick, but the production wasn’t there, the consistency wasn’t there.”

After a strong sophomore season in which he totaled 4.5 sacks and 13 tackles for loss, McDowell had just 1.5 sacks and seven TFLs while appearing in nine games for the Spartans in 2016. His interest in playing appeared to wane at times, and he missed part of the season with an ankle injury.

NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks wrote that McDowell is “one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft” because of his inconsistent effort and poor technique. NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranks McDowell the No. 39 prospect overall.

“He needed to really step up, and I thought he could have been one of the elite defensive players in this draft,” Kiper said. “As I said, his performance was underwhelming, so he’s kind of an underachiever now, and somebody’s going to roll the dice.”

One reason Kiper and others believe that McDowell still could land in the first round is because of the lack of blue-chip defensive tackles available. While Kiper put six cornerbacks and four safeties in the first round of his mock draft, he had just two defensive tackles: Alabama’s Jonathan Allen, a consensus top-five player, and McDowell.

“He can provide (inside pressure),” Kiper said. “I mean, there’s no question he could end up being a really good pick (at No. 24) if you can push the right buttons and get this kid to maximize all that ability.”

On 1/19/2017 at 8:41 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Foster is the kind of Bully we need in the middle of our defense. I don't know if he's smart or a leader though.

I think he's unquestionably a leader.  He leads by example.  He's a beast on special teams.  He gets to the spot and blows people up.  Other players feed off of guys like that.  Kinda reminds me of a bigger Karl Joseph, just in his thirst to arrive and do damage.  He's a monster.  I like the play at 0:42.  

I'm also interested to see what QBs guys here like.  I don't think we'll be in the market, but it's certainly a possibility.  I've watched Trubisky play a lot and I think he's gonna be a quality starter in the league.  He had some OL/WR injuries that I think hurt him a little.  I just think he's a smart kid that's good at recognizing defenses and getting the ball where it needs to go.  I hope for his sake he doesn't go to Cleveland.  Maybe he'll get to go to San Fran and learn from Kyle.

Also, I would put edge rusher as a priority in this draft.  I think it's just as weak of a position for us as any on our defense.  Hell, I'm not even sure we have a guy that would be considered as an edge rusher.  I imagine that will change next year.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Foster just has that London Fletcher vibe to him.

Hes a missle. 

I watched some clips of Davis and McMillan today. Davis is smaller than craven. McMillan would be great, if we miss on Foster. Cunningham is looking like a slightly better A. Robinson to me unfortunately. 

We are obviously going to reload on defense in free agency and the draft. 

But I really hope we come away with a TE in this draft. It's a deep group and with Reed's injury history, the importance of the TE in our offense, and Davis being a FA (and old), its definitely a need, even if not immediately.

I would also be excited for a pass catching RB like Cook if he fell to our spot in the 1st. We still haven't found a legit RB besides Thompson and he will be a FA next year (and may be expensive to keep if he has another great year). Cook would be dynamic for us.

I'm hoping this is the draft that forms the backbone of the roster as Cousins leads this team to the playoffs. And I think it happens; Scot earns his money and we fortify the team with solid contributors in a variety of roles.

A speed rusher at OLB would be nice. I don't think Takk McKinnley is that guy. Watching his tape, I don't see an elite get off, or much flexibility. He doesn't seem to have great hand use, or a great counter move. He looks like an Orakpo/Kerrigan typer rusher. Mostly power, with a bit of speed. Nothing to sneeze at, but not a new/unique skill set for our D. 

Per GBNreport/Twitter, it also looks like he may have a torn labrum that may need surgery. May push him further down the 1st. 

5 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I have a couple questions for our resident draftniks because I don't know enough about the players available. 

IF we decide to move on from Cousins and he ends up going to SF...

who do you draft with the number 2 pick?

who's the best defensive player we can get at number 2?

I'd say you hope someone wants to jump ahead of Chicago, like the Jets, to get a QB and trade back.

Or you force the Bears to move up one spot to secure it and can still slide back a little hoping someone still wants to come up for Watson or Cook.

Adam's, Peppers, Hooker are, IMO the best behind Garrett who's been the consensus #1 for everyone for a while.

Allen, Barnett and Humphrey should also be in the top 10. Williams too, with the way speed rushers are over values, especially in a draft of one.

I wish we lost to the ****ing Bears and were picking at 10.

9 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I have a couple questions for our resident draftniks because I don't know enough about the players available. 

IF we decide to move on from Cousins and he ends up going to SF...

who do you draft with the number 2 pick?

who's the best defensive player we can get at number 2?

If the scenario unfolded that Kirk ended up going to SF, I think part of the talks would involve Scot already having a trade partner to move out of that #2 slot.

We have 5 picks through the first 4 rounds. I think he'd want to turn that into 8 or 9 picks to make a trade at all viable. Ideally you'd want to end up with a couple of first rounders and a probably 3 second rounds. 

IF we did trade with the 49ers and get their #2 pick along with other picks, I wouldn't be shocked if we actually traded up from #17 to get another blue chipper. We had a shot at Ryan Kelly last year but weren't willing to move up, but I think McC knows just how badly we need some more top notch talent and may be willing to give up some of the ammunition to ensure it.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

IF we did trade with the 49ers and get their #2 pick along with other picks, I wouldn't be shocked if we actually traded up from #17 to get another blue chipper. We had a shot at Ryan Kelly last year but weren't willing to move up, but I think McC knows just how badly we need some more top notch talent and may be willing to give up some of the ammunition to ensure it.

We'd be at 10- 12 if we didn't beat the ****ing Bears. Yay feel good win.

Assuming the Skins get the 2nd overall and a 2018 1st, yeah I think McCloughan shops that pick and trades back to 5-8 or wherever, picking up an early 2nd and some other kind of compensation.

Say they get DL stalwarts in Fa with some the money they would've allocated to Cousins, then go maybe ILB/FS in the 1st?

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Assuming the Skins get the 2nd overall and a 2018 1st, yeah I think McCloughan shops that pick and trades back to 5-8 or wherever, picking up an early 2nd and some other kind of compensation.

Say they get DL stalwarts in Fa with some the money they would've allocated to Cousins, then go maybe ILB/FS in the 1st?

Like I said earlier, if someone wants to jump ahead of the Bears for the top QB, it could force the Bears to move up one spot, say for a 3rd. Someone may still want to jump the Jets for Watson, giving us another 2nd or 3rd. Maybe buffalo(10) or arizona(13). 

Point is, that second could bet us multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks. While staying in the top 10 in the first to get a crack at Hooker or Adams.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We'd be at 10- 12 if we didn't beat the ****ing Bears. Yay feel good win.

Well, IF we were bad enough to have lost to the Bears, I highly doubt that pick would fix our needs.  How about if we'd lost to the NYG in the first game or had split with the Eagles?  What about Baltimore or Minnesota?  Record-wise at least, the Giants were obviously the better team.  The Eagles, Baltimore and Minnesota are all pretty much our equals.  Losing to their likes could just have meant we were a mediocre team that got unlucky.  Losing to the Bears would likely indicate we were a bad team that got lucky.

Archived