Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Was just going through it, you got Coey Davis, Mike Williams and Solomon Thomas in the top 10.  McKinley at 22.  Budda Baker 24.  Alvin Kamara at 26 -- that's higher than I recall seeing him anywhere else.   Lot of corners in the top 32.   Peppers all the way down to 33.  Malik McDowell at 39. 

I've seen Marcus Williams in the 2nd round a bunch including by DJ here, I've not looked at him but he sounds like a tailor made FS.

Malik McDowell at 39?  Is the media hype train fading with him?  Budda Baker at 24.  Damnit.  There goes my thought of trading down and picking him up early 2nd.

Marcus Williams only has 1 cutup, but it's from 2015.  I'm looking forward to them adding some recent ones of him.

Speaking of Free Safeties named Marcus, I just watched Marcus Maye's lone cutup from 2016.  Big fat yawn.  He looks like just a guy at the college level surrounded by lots of defensive talent.  He doesn't look like a McCloughan "football" player either.  He's mocked often in the 3rd round.  I'm projecting round 6 or 7.

4. Marcus Williams, S, Utah

marcus-williams-int

Few safeties have made an impact quite like Williams who has two interceptions, two passes defensed, and a forced fumble/recovery while chasing down a running play. He’s the nation’s top-graded safety through three weeks and he’s yet to miss a tackle on his 16 attempts, all this after showing well as a run defender his first two years at Utah. Last season he took a step forward in coverage, and that continued development is crucial for his draft stock. Williams is another case of the competition level heating up in the coming weeks, but he’s caught the eye with his playmaking ability through three games.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-4-rising-nfl-prospects-on-our-radar/

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cleveland-browns-bowl-watch-utah-safety-marcus-williams-122716

According to The Salt Lake-Tribune: “Williams’ game is powered by immense physical gifts: He has a 38-inch vertical leap (best on the team) that allows him to high-point passes. His sideline-to-sideline speed is probably the best among Utah’s defenders, and it’s rare to see a quarterback throw deep on Utah’s secondary and Williams not at least contest the targeted receiver.”

Williams is not content to get by on just his athleticism, however, but puts in the time during the week to prepare for game day, according to The Salt Lake-Tribune:

Williams, who watches as much as two hours of film per day throughout the week. Even on game day, Hatfield spies him watching clips of the receivers and quarterback they’ll be facing in only a few hours. Those clips are a gold mine for Williams: They tell him what routes the receivers like to run. They tell him how the quarterback will try to look him off his coverage. He reads the ways that the offense will try to attack — and how they’ll be vulnerable.

Williams is projected to be a second-round selection is he enters the draft, so the Browns won’t be looking at him in the Top 10. But with a pair of second-round picks and a huge hole in the secondary, he could be in play for the Browns on day two of the draft.

Utah will be in action on Dec. 28 at 8:30 p.m. when they take on Indiana in the Foster Farms Bowl.

This article originally appeared on fansided-gray_logo.svg

2 hours ago, RonPaul said:

hi i'm new,  any idea when i will be privileged to be able to post my own thread topic??

I think williams and justn evans texas a&m are a push

Welcome rookie. Go get me a coffee, 2 creams and 2 sugars. We will talk about your posting privileges later.

5 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

There is no way McKinley runs a 4.4 or Solomon Thomas runs a 4.5.  The media guys tweeting this have not watched film and are gullible.

I could see Thomas running mid to high 4.7s though.  He actually looks fast on the field.  Almost always the first one off the line of scrimmage.

9 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Depending on how much firepower we add on defense in FA, I could see us taking a G in round 2 to completely solidify our OL. I could see Feeney (IU) or Lamp (WKU) being great picks. Not a sexy pick, but I think both will be pro bowl G's

Lamp's name is getting sexier in the mocks where I've seen him mention by some as a first rounder.  DJ had him ranked as the 16th best player in the draft.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

As long as he's not the 17th.

I definitely don't have Lamp that high. He moves well and has shown power, but with his measurables I think it's very unlikely he sticks at T and is formidable. I could see him slip into the end of round 1 (Seattle might pull trigger) but no way do I select him at 17, DJ is light years ahead of me surely but I don't see that as a justifiable ranking

Woah.  I like that PFF mock draft.

Honestly, there is nothing outlandish in it.  They seem to base their picks on college production.  Only a few critiques, like I think they've got Fournette going way too low and Foster going too high, but it wouldn't shock me if it happened the way they predict.  I also think they've got McDowell way too low, but that's the way the groupthink seems to be headed on him.

If Christian McCaffrey slips into the second round, then I would rather trade up for him than pick Fournette at 17, and Fournette is absolutely incredible value at 17.  McCaffrey, Fournette, and Watson are the three best offensive players in the class, and they're all about the same.  McCaffrey at like 36 > Fournette at 17.

I just want to see us be aggressive in this year's draft. I feel like our last two 1st round picks were the safest picks to make. I think we went with Scherff over Williams because Scot didn't want to take a chance of picking anyone at 5 in his first draft with us that had any concerns or red flags like Williams had at the time and then last year he stuck with his BPA philosophy when drafting Doctson even though we needed to go BDPA (Best Defensive Player Available). Sure Scherff has turned into a Pro Bowler in just his second year and Doctson looked to be the real deal coming out of TCU if we can only get him on the field but we desperately need playmakers specifically on defense. So what I'm hoping for in this draft is if a guy like Soloman Thomas or Malik Hooker or any of the guys that have showed they can just take over a game and have to be accounted for when they're on the field were to start slipping or fall outside of the top 10 then let's go get 'em. I know Scot rarely ever trades up only back to acquire more picks but I feel like we have to come away with a day one difference maker in the first round this year. Just my two-cents.

I've haven't watched a lot of players yet but judging on what I've watched and what am reading about these guys.  For the moment for me -- and these are guys who have a realistic shot of being there at #17 judging by current mocks

Defense:  Solomon, McKinley, Jarrad Davis (I know this is high for the moment but I think he might have Shazier type of measurables, leader too in the London fletcher mold which we need).  I am intrigued by a DT but got to learn more about McDowell, Brantley, Wormley.

Offense:  Cook, Fournette (seems a long shot, though).  Corey Davis, Mike Williams, OJ Howard seem like monsters so if Scot loves one of them, I'd trust it.

In the 2nd round where I got ways to go to studying prospects but for the moment

Defense: Carl Lawson, Demarus Walker, Carols Watkins, Budda Baker, Marcus Williams

Offense:  Jordan Leggett, D'onta Freeman, Alvin Kamara

Steve ‏@SteveDraft_

Redskins scouts had formal interviews with UM RB De'Veon Smith, CB Channing Stribiling and Auburn WR Tony Stevens today at E-W Shrine pract.

2:18 PM - 17 Jan 2017

Measurables for these 3 guys.

Smith - 5'10 and 7/8ths, 224 lbs.  Small hands.

Stribling - 6'1, 179 lbs, Arm length 31 & 3/8ths inches.  Small hands.

Tony Stevens - 6'3 and 5/8ths, 204 lbs, solid hand size.

What I see here is a preference for heavier backs.  Not quite the size of Matt Jones or Fat Rob, but 224 isn't far off.  This corner does not fit the "Seattle prototype", so I'm wondering if McCloughan just doesn't care as much about that.  Stevens is a big target.  Has a similar wingspan to last year's UDFA Maurice Harris.

30 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Steve ‏@SteveDraft_

Redskins scouts had formal interviews with UM RB De'Veon Smith, CB Channing Stribiling and Auburn WR Tony Stevens today at E-W Shrine pract.

2:18 PM - 17 Jan 2017

Measurables for these 3 guys.

Smith - 5'10 and 7/8ths, 224 lbs.  Small hands.

Stribling - 6'1, 179 lbs, Arm length 31 & 3/8ths inches.  Small hands.

Tony Stevens - 6'3 and 5/8ths, 204 lbs, solid hand size.

What I see here is a preference for heavier backs.  Not quite the size of Matt Jones or Fat Rob, but 224 isn't far off.  This corner does not fit the "Seattle prototype", so I'm wondering if McCloughan just doesn't care as much about that.  Stevens is a big target.  Has a similar wingspan to last year's UDFA Maurice Harris.

I like Stribling A LOT. Good length and I absolutely love his style of play. He competes when the ball is in the air similarly to the best of 'em at the DB position. 

27 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I like Stribling A LOT. Good length and I absolutely love his style of play. He competes when the ball is in the air similarly to the best of 'em at the DB position. 

Just watched him.  He's built like a toothpick and kind of plays like it.  He tries to get off blocks sometimes, but isn't strong enough, and looks disinterested in tackling running backs.

He's got some serious issues with off coverage, he needs to be worked up there.  He is however much better at press bail coverage.  Like much better.  Looking at his film (specifically Wisconsin cutup), he's making great plays in press bail and getting worked over by a WR in off coverage.  He's good at not just getting a hand on the ball in the air, but disrupting the catch point.  He'll be out of position yet snake a hand through to poke away the ball as the WR is trying to secure the catch.  WR's against him will need to catch away from their body, catch it cleanly, and have strong hands.  Do not want him lined up against Dez Bryant, but against Terrance Williams?  Sure.

So if we want our corners to be in a WR's face, which we CLEARLY do since we're paying Josh Norman top dollar, then Stribling could be a good get in Day 3.  I don't know what you do about him on 1st down or short yardage.  He is a glaring weak link against the run or screens to his side.

Pro Football Focus' Mock Draft 3.0 has an interesting option for you guys. Highly doubt this scenario occurs, since there's no way the Panthers pass on him, but just to give you guys a glimpse of what mock drafter's claim as a possibility:

Here it is:

17. Washington Redskins

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

One of the most intriguing prospects in the draft, Fournette has the power and speed that turns heads, but the question marks in the pass game may make him more of a mid-round option. The Redskins will gladly take him here as they love to run downhill behind one of the better run-blocking offensive lines in the league. Fournette is just one year removed from leading the nation in rushing grade and missed tackles forced with 83, and if he’s back to his sophomore year form, the Washington offense has added yet another piece to one of the league’s best units.

3 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Just saw a BAL reporter tweet the Ravens can afford to let Brandon Williams go because a SECOND YEAR UDFA NT dominated in run support in limited snaps this past year. Can this be the offseason we get lucky and Scot hits a homerun? We really, really need one

Dontarie Poe will most likely also be out there.  DL is in pathetic shape as anyone knows.  If Poe and Williams are both available - I think I'd go for Poe although he did have back surgery 2 yrs ago

Updating the previous list to include 3 new guys we've apparently talked to in EW Shrine Game practice.

Burgundy Burner ‏@BurgundyBurner

The Redskins have interviewed/met with the following players at the East-West Shrine game practices:

11:54 AM - 18 Jan 2017

Getting this info from these sheets.

East Team

West Team

RB De'Veon Smith - 5'10 and 7/8ths, 224 lbs.  Small hands.

CB Channing Stribling - 6'1, 179 lbs, Arm length 31 & 3/8ths inches.  Small hands.

WR Tony Stevens - 6'3 and 5/8ths, 204 lbs, solid hand size.

WR Billy Brown - 6'3 and 3/8ths, 254 lbs, gigantic hands

DE Avery Moss - 6'3 and 1/8th, 262 lbs, 34" arm length, good hand size

OT Erik Austell - 6'3 and 1/8th, 290 lbs, small hand size and extremely short arm length for an OL.

Billy Brown is massive for a WR.  254 lbs?  Damn!  Avery Moss checks all of the boxes for measurables so far.  No idea what to think about that OT's measurables, maybe we're looking for a new long snapper or something?

Edit:  We met with another guy.

DT Joey Ivie - 6'3, 300 lbs, average hands, meh arm length (32 and 1/2 inches)

Archived