Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

All our receivers will be on IR by week 2 and Griffin will reinvent the passing game by throwing his rocket-like passes 80 yards down the field, and showing his knee is fully recovered by catching each one, after torching DBs down the field.  It will result in Roger Goodell and the "Competition" committee stealing the "self-pass" penalty from basketball so that we can no longer run that "no-receiver" offense that Gruden and Griffin spent weeks coming up with.

Maybe if we use 10 guys to block we could actually keep Robert upright for more than 2 seconds

And I feel like those are the same folks that hype players up way more than they deserve. Not saying gumbs is garbage or even non roster material. Just think it's dangerous to pencil him in as tour starter.

I agree, I really like Gumbs but I felt the exact same about Pugh last offseason and look how that turned out, lol.

Who knows. Right now as it stands any guy out of who we have can emerge as a solid player. Would be nice if it was just one. Gumbs has shown the most up to this point, I think.

And Merriweather at FS impressed me last season. His number one job is to not get beat deep and he did that well. But, yeah, would be awesome if we can put him at SS and Clark at FS.   

I feel like i'm in the minority, but I feel BM was perhaps one of our 2 or 3 strongest players on the defense last year in the last few games of the season. I feel after he made his dumb comments and knocked himself out with that retarded hit he actually played some pretty sound football.

Where did our SAFs play last year?

Brandon Meriweather played only 25% of his snaps inside the box (free)

Doughty played 74% of his snaps inside the box (strong)

I think people having foggy memories may be a testament to BMer playing well. You just don't notice a free all the time. Lets say his coverage's were perfect, the pattern full, the QB looks elsewhere or gets sacked. We don't always know. 

I am no authority but when your FS is making plays, the defense sucks. Or when you see the FS getting abused, he and the defense sucks.  

It has been argued that our defense got better as the year progressed and I think the stats back it. That is when he got snaps over Rambo IIRC. 

Long story short, BMer may be a serviceable free with a competent front 7. Just like Madieu became in the back half of 2012 when we ramped up pressure on QBs early in games, and not out of desperation late. 

I too think we will likely continue the slow play and look for an upgrade this summer. 

I dont understand all the shocked folks about Clark's tweets.

I remember him running his mouth over twitter about the Skins every time the Steelers played us. Pretty sure they were long threads on these forums, too. I particularly remember him running his mouth when we let Carlos go.

Be a bit frustrated with re-signing Merriweather if it happened.  With as poor as the pass defense was last season I'd hate to be running in place.

I wish people would comprehend that an improved pass rush and slightly different scheme, even with the same talent as last year, will result in improvement. We're not running in place.

Where I will agree with this general thought is that we're also not running very fast. It's a slow jog. But a change in scheme and an increase in pressure would result in an upward trend with the same talent. If that talent in the secondary gets worse (injuries, decline in play, etc) then we're staying in place or moving backwards.

And again, having said all that, I would also like a new safety added.

I could live with BM on a nice 2yr 5mil deal. Very serviceable for now. I bet Clarks asking for way too much.

I'm not a fan of Merriweather, certainly not at FS. He did an OK job last year when pressed into service at FS but he is better suited to playing more as a SS in the box. I could live with him as a stop gap at SS but I'm hoping Thomas comes back from the injury he had and wins that spot. Merriweather needs to cut out the head hunting - having an attitude and wanting to intimidate is part of playing defense but in the modern NFL you just cant go around trying to take players heads off. 

Safety is still the glaring issue on defense we have so far failed to address. Worth noting though that its still a long time before we play our first game and a lot can still happen.

Since Haslett views his safeties as interchangeable, I'd be inclined to believe that it's true.

I thought that was from Gregg Williams, when talking about Taylor and Landry? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure I've heard Haslett say that. I thought we've played the traditional FS/SS roles in this defense.

Walter Football actually has a run on SAF in the 2nd ... Buchannon, Ward ... then guys like Ed Reynolds, Terrance Brooks and Craig Loston ... all tabbed by Drafttek as 4th/5th rounders going in the early 3rd. So I guess it's 100% dependent on how the draft unfolds ... but I'm inclined to think it could go like last year when you had a lot of the top SAF falling down the board ... to a point where the Skins got Phil Thomas in the 4th and Bacarri Rambo in the 2nd ... both guys people were penciling in as 2nd and 3rd rounders leading up to the draft. And 2 months out, who really knows. 

I get every draft magazine under the sun every year, I got Kiper's booklets the whole drill.  Yeah Drafttek can be wild with their predictions so anything is possible with them.  But recalling the others, Thomas was a 3rd to 4th round prediction by most that I recall. Rambo a 4th to 5th rounder maybe a straggler or two had him in the late third.  Don't recall anyone penciling in Rambo in particular in the 2nd round.  Maybe real early in the process?    Mocks are often off, but they are often dramatically off in January. 

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2014/02/18/draft-analysts-high-on-ward-split-on-lynch-as-nfl-qb/aj6n1s9/

“Jimmie Ward has done a great job. A, in his career, and B, at the Senior Bowl [in January],” said Mayock, who has been with the NFL Network since 2005. “I think the only negative on him is [NFL] teams worry about his durability, but the kid never misses a game anyway. I think he’s a great football player and I think he’s going in the second round.”

Kiper, who has served as a draft analyst for ESPN since 1984, said Ward is the third-best safety in the draft behind Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton Dix and Louisville’s Calvin Pryor.

“Jimmie Ward is an outstanding player,” Kiper said. “He’s not the big safety [NIU listed him at 5-11, 192 pounds this past season] but I think he fits today’s NFL which is coverage ability, and the fact he’s around the action so much and makes so many impact plays. “I think he could go second or third round,” Kiper said. “I think he’s going to be a fast-riser, I liked him in terms of the safety position.”

I thought that was from Gregg Williams, when talking about Taylor and Landry? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure I've heard Haslett say that. I thought we've played the traditional FS/SS roles in thus defense.

No, it's Haslett who said the safeties are interchangeable.  I'll find the quote in a bit.

I wish people would comprehend that an improved pass rush and slightly different scheme, even with the same talent as last year, will result in improvement. We're not running in place.

Where I will agree with this general thought is that we're also not running very fast. It's a slow jog. But a change in scheme and an increase in pressure would result in an upward trend with the same talent. If that talent in the secondary gets worse (injuries, decline in play, etc) then we're staying in place or moving backwards.

And again, having said all that, I would also like a new safety added.

I do get that, but I also think that the safety position itself was played poorly last season even taking into account difficiencies in pass rush.  To some degree they are even symbiotic.  A good pass rush improves coverage, but good coverage also improves the effectiveness of the pass rush.

I do get that, but I also think that the safety position itself was played poorly last season even taking into account difficiencies in pass rush.  To some degree they are even symbiotic.  A good pass rush improves coverage, but good coverage also improves the effectiveness of the pass rush.

They're completely symbiotic.

But here's the point: We either haven't had the resources, we're striking out with the guys we want, or we're not overly interested in the free agents out there in the secondary. We are adding to/attempting to plug holes in our front, though. So the strategy seems to be primarily focused on improving the pass rush to improve the secondary deficiencies.

Which makes sense given that our secondary is comprised of risk takers. When your secondary is made of guys that like to gamble for the big play, then your pass rush is your biggest weapon. Porter is a gambler. Hall is a gambler. Merriweather is a gambler (should he return). Amerson, to some extent, is a gambler. They like to gamble. A pass rush makes the gamblers more dangerous.

Yes, they can cover, but they take risks. If you're going to go with a bunch of guys who are ball hawking, the best way to make sure they are protected from making too many mistakes is to make sure that QB gets rid of the football in a hurry.

Be a bit frustrated with re-signing Merriweather if it happened.  With as poor as the pass defense was last season I'd hate to be running in place.

Merriweather isnt a bad safety at all......idk what yall talking about him and clark starting with thomas rambo n reed doughty behind hhim....is pretty good... Look at the year we made the playoffs who were our safeties.....??? doughty and ???? i cant even remember!!

KDawg i cannot agree more with what you say . It is an interesting deviation in direction we are used to . When we posted top 5 top 10 defenses then we would stop the run and put money and resources into the secondary ( i think in 1 4 year stretch (2004,2005,2006, 2007) we selected DB, DB, Nothing, DB in the first round of the draft) . While it was fun to point to that high defensive ranking and our defense definatly took a few names, they were stiffling, not scarry .

This year, i think this defense is going to be feast or famine, but it is going to be exciting, a pas rushing front 5 (Kerrigan, Baker, Coefild, Hatcher Orakpo) the ILB looking after the run, potentially a run stuffing S if we let either Merriwether or Doughty roam around just behind the LBs (one head hunter one strong tackler- neither resigned obviously) and then have the balhawking/gambleing CBs in Hall/Porter and Amerson feast on the hurried balls and quick pass attack - And all we would need is a good high free safety ...hmmm

I would like to see Thomas possibly get a shot there but comming of an injury is going to be rough and in that situation a gambler at S really is not going to be a good thing .... anyway ...

In addition about KDawgs point on the system change can improve talent . A lot of our secondary players are young guys they may with another NFL season behind them be that much better anyway ..

It could be that my memory is totally shot... But... Clark with the Redskins played along side Sean Taylor, correct? Didn't he get his first starts filling in for Andre Lott and Matt Bowen? And didn't we replace him with Adam Archuletta?

That leads me to believe that with the Skins he played strong safety, not free.

He played free for Pittsburgh as Polamalu is their SS.

So he could play either role if signed. Which means Meriweather could either be a total plan B or a compliment to Clark.

Thank you for clearing that up. 

Archived