Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

I don't hate the thought of Merriweather on the field. Minus the dumb penalties, I thought he and Hall were the serviceable part of our secondary last year.

If we had a competent FS, then I'd agree with you.

Since Haslett views his safeties as interchangeable, I'd be inclined to believe that it's true.

Haslett also thinks Cofield is a NT.  lol

If we had a competent FS, then I'd agree with you.

Haslett also thinks Cofield is a NT.  lol

Yeah - correct me if I'm wrong but Meriweather was primarily our "FS" last year once we benched Rambo wasn't he? I thought it was basically Meriweather at SS and Doughty at FS at that point. Brandon was pretty invisible at that position. I know he's had much more success at SS. If we sign him and not Clark, I'd be hoping someone really emerges at FS so Meriweather can play at his more natural position. 

We carried 5 SAF last year to start out ... Rambo/Merriweather/Thomas/Doughty/Gumbs

I think we are due one more SS and one more FS, whether that's through the draft or what.

I think signing Clark doesn't preclude us to avoiding the position in the draft. If Jimmie Ward or Deone Buchannon is there at 66, and especially if we trade back and get an extra 3rd and 4th, I could see us going with them there.

I think Ward and Buc will be gone by pick 66. At that point I think you're looking at a Terrance Brooks who could also help the defense.

But if Brooks is off the board by 66 there isn't a clear upgrade over what we got. Not to say the rest of the SAFs after Brooks are undraftable but wouldn't imo be viewed as starter/instant upgrade.

Walter Football actually has a run on SAF in the 2nd ... Buchannon, Ward ... then guys like Ed Reynolds, Terrance Brooks and Craig Loston ... all tabbed by Drafttek as 4th/5th rounders going in the early 3rd. So I guess it's 100% dependent on how the draft unfolds ... but I'm inclined to think it could go like last year when you had a lot of the top SAF falling down the board ... to a point where the Skins got Phil Thomas in the 4th and Bacarri Rambo in the 2nd ... both guys people were penciling in as 2nd and 3rd rounders leading up to the draft. And 2 months out, who really knows. 

I guess it depends on where you go and whether or not you trust your own evaluations but the sights I trust like nfldraftscout and my own opinion never had Thomas or Rambo as 2nd or 3rd round SAFs. Thomas and Rambo went just about where I expected. The top SAFs didn't fall last year the draftnik community's inflated perception of some SAFs made them 'appear' to 'fall' or 'slide' when imo they were never ranked highly to begin with.

I'm not familiar with Richardson.  When was he signed?

mid last season, the same time as Kyle Nelson and Josh Hull.  He was mostly a special teamer, but late in the season he played a little bit on D

Edit: and I see I messed up his name, Yes, I mean Trenton RObinson.

Depth for training camp, fine ... but Richardson can't be on the final 53. There's a case to be made that Gumbs shouldn't either. But irregardless, you need at least 2 safeties on the final roster that are not on the roster right now. Sign Clark/Meriweather/Doughty then fine ... but until then I'm moving forward under the assumption that we'll likely sign one of them and draft a guy

There's people out there saying Gumbs should be a starting safety.

At this point in the process might as well wait out a SAF til June for the next wave of cuts when cost is down.

If we've waited this long we may as well finish slow playing the SAF hand.

Maybe we can get Clemons for cheaper then before? Either that or move Hall to FS this year, lol.

It could be that my memory is totally shot... But... Clark with the Redskins played along side Sean Taylor, correct? Didn't he get his first starts filling in for Andre Lott and Matt Bowen? And didn't we replace him with Adam Archuletta?

That leads me to believe that with the Skins he played strong safety, not free.

He played free for Pittsburgh as Polamalu is their SS.

So he could play either role if signed. Which means Meriweather could either be a total plan B or a compliment to Clark.

Didn't say that he was right, or wrong. I'm just saying thats what he's said. Besides, when Clark was here he primarily played SS anyway, then played FS in Pittsburgh

No I know, just messing with you.

I already know how this plays out.

Reed Doughty will play SS and pay us back for all the years he's been kept around by being one of the greatest safeties to every play the game.  His season will earn him the MVP, as would any DB who picks off over 20 passes. Mediaites will be debating whether or not he "really is that good", since he only returned 7 of his INTs for TDs.

All our receivers will be on IR by week 2 and Griffin will reinvent the passing game by throwing his rocket-like passes 80 yards down the field, and showing his knee is fully recovered by catching each one, after torching DBs down the field.  It will result in Roger Goodell and the "Competition" committee stealing the "self-pass" penalty from basketball so that we can no longer run that "no-receiver" offense that Gruden and Griffin spent weeks coming up with.

Alfred Morris will not be forgotten, as he will be the first RB ever to get over 3,000 yards, while being tackled less than 100 times, so his knees will be fine.

By season's end, Lauvao will be the right side of the OL, Trent will be the left, and Lich will be the interior (having gained over 600 pounds during the offseason accidentally over compensating while trying to "put-on" weight to satisfy his new HC).  Since we only use Those three, Griffin, and Morris (while Reed is brought in just for "fun"), we create a new formation that includes six lucky fans who stand around and cheer on the players.

The defense is mostly made up of Cofield, Baker, Hatcher, Orakpo, GHH (who stands behind Orakpo reminding him that he better be earning the $11 million he's getting this season), Kerrigan, and Doughty (the only member of the secondary necessary).

Fred Davis, having not been signed by any team, will retire from the NFL and open a store that sells alarm clocks for pot-smokers.  (Then, after making billions, he buys the Redskins from Dan Snyder, who, after winning the SB and being named greatest sports Owner EVER, figures he better quit while he's ahead).

Dan also runs for president creating his own political party which runs on the platform that he represents all minorities and their causes (since of course none of them have competing desires). As a "minority" his campaign includes anyone of a different race, religion, sexual preference, anyone who's ever been bullied, upset, offended, hurt, cried, moped, or just had a crapy day. His slogan is, "I like minorities so much, I bought a 1 billion dollar team named after them." His campaign is so successful that he not only wins the presidency, but Russia actually votes to succeed and join the United States of Dan Snyder the Best Sports Owner Ever, which leaves Crimea as the only place Putin is welcome.

Putin is then photographed wearing a sailor suit and crying.

Also, all current Redskins fans are rewarded for their suffering by receiving coastal inheritances in the location of our choice (but locations must include at least 1,000 acres, and oil rights will be granted for free).

Pretty sure that's how this season's going.

My un-educated hopes for the Redskins in what's left of free agency are:

!. RT- If Penn signs a reasonable deal I would sign him. If he wants too much I would let him go back to Oakland. Tampa overpaid for Anthony Collins to replace Penn and they didn't try and move him to RT so they must think he is slipping. Eric Winston is a free agent again and the fans have been wanting him for 3 or 4 years but I haven't heard him mentioned this year. He shouldn't cost much and I think he is younger than Penn.

2. FS- I don't know what Clark is expecting money wise but I have kind of soured on him because of his tweets and players at his age don't get big money anymore. I would rather go with Thomas Decoud on one of those one year "prove it" deals hoping he plays great looking for a better deal next year. 

3. WR- I know that I am in the minority but I like James Jones. He has matured and cut down on the drops the last two years and I think Garcon, Jones and Roberts would be a good line-up. Kenny Britt is interesting if he can be signed to an incentive full contract. Lance Moore is an under-rated player who has sure hands. I'm not sure what to think about Miles Austin, he always seems to be hurt but when healthy he looked very good.

4. I would like them to re-sign EJ Biggers to compete as the 4th CB, Rob Jackson to back-up Orakpo and Kerrigan & Brandon Meriweather for another year and hope that Phillip Thomas wins the job sometime through the season.

5. A few other players I would look at if the price is cheap are: Kyle Cook, Carlos Rogers, Akeem Jordan, Davin Joseph, Arthur Moats, Kerry Rhodes, Ed Dickson, Major Wright, Antone Cason and Eben Britton.

I know we can only afford a few of these players but I really hope they can at least sign a RT and FS before the draft.   

3. WR- I know that I am in the minority but I like James Jones. He has matured and cut down on the drops the last two years and I think Garcon, Jones and Roberts would be a good line-up. Kenny Britt is interesting if he can be signed to an incentive full contract. Lance Moore is an under-rated player who has sure hands. I'm not sure what to think about Miles Austin, he always seems to be hurt but when healthy he looked very good.

Signed with Carolina

Signed with Carolina

Not yet.  All he said was that he wants to play with Cam Newton.  He hasn't signed anything yet.

I think we have enough guys with James Jones' skill set.  I also think Rodgers made him look much better than he really is.  I'd prefer we focus on getting a 6'2" - 6'5" WR either through FA (Britt) or through the draft so we can throw more fades in the red zone without it being obvious that we're about to do it (having Reed lined up out there makes it obvious).  With Garcon and Roberts we're going to be limited to slants, drags, and outs when we're passing inside the 10 yd line.

Thanks man I should have known that but my mind has been racing the past few days b/c of my uncle.

No harm meant, I'm an occassional ESer so don't know too much about what goes on around here amongst members. Hope all is well!

...also didn't read further into your comments, my apologies :blush:

Didn't say that he was right, or wrong. I'm just saying thats what he's said. Besides, when Clark was here he primarily played SS anyway, then played FS in Pittsburgh

Right, but no doubt we're looking at him to fill FS for us….not return to SS just for ol times sake. haha.

It could be that my memory is totally shot... But... Clark with the Redskins played along side Sean Taylor, correct? Didn't he get his first starts filling in for Andre Lott and Matt Bowen? And didn't we replace him with Adam Archuletta?

That leads me to believe that with the Skins he played strong safety, not free.

He played free for Pittsburgh as Polamalu is their SS.

So he could play either role if signed. Which means Meriweather could either be a total plan B or a compliment to Clark.

Yeah, good breakdown, i think its anyone's guess as to how we'd use BM if we retain him.

Archived