Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

Clark/Meriweather are free and strong could be servicable. Clark/Doughty could probably be the same.

And I know we supposedly aren't interested in Clemons, but Clemons/MeriDoughty could work too.

Mainly, if Meri or Doughty is back, they should be in the box.

Asked this yesterday and got lost in the shuffle. Why are they wanting to sign a LT and expect him to play RT instead of targeting a RT if that is the needed position?

Well ... RT is kind of a weird position. To get a good RT you usually need to draft them and as they progress in their career they transition to LT. There are only so many players that can come out of the draft and immediately play LT and that's why they're always top picks. Even Eric Fischer, last year's #1 overall pick, was a RT.

You either pay mid-range LTs big money to play RT. Penn, at 30, is "on the downside" of his career and obviously wasn't the answer for Bucs at LT or they would have kept him. SO yeah, at this point, he might transition to RT. 

Top RT money is around $5-6 million a year. Mid-range RT money is in the $2-4 million range. 

Penn for $4m a year for 3-4 years would be a solid deal. Any amount that he counts against the cap this year would be made up by the $2.5 million in savings from cutting Polumbus.

Still shocked Chester hasn't been released?

Also, signing Merriweather to play FS, combined with drafting a FS/SS in the 3rd would complete a nice off-season on the defense.

We just finished the season 3-13 and last in the NFCeast 5 out of the last 6 seasons there's NO reason why we should take anything Redskins Park decides in regards to the roster serious. lol

Just because he hasn't played FS before doesn't mean he's out of position. Is Darrell Young out of position? He played LB  at Villanova but he's one of the best FB's in the league because his skill set fit FB more than LB. David Amersons skill set is better suited for FS, he's a 6'2" 210 pound ball hawk with exceptional range and good instincts, doesn't have quick hips and can't play press man and needs work at the top of his break on back pedals. 

Like I said Amerson can play CB and he can play FS but his skill set is better suited at FS, does that mean we should move him to FS? NO but is he someone who could play FS and maybe play in a few pro bowls? Yes if he can get his open field tackling down. 

You're so definitive about it, yet you've never seen him play FS.  If you'd have stopped at he had the skill set to play FS, that'd be different.  You went all in talking about potential pro bowls at the FS spot.  

When you change positions to a position you've never played, you're out of position.   I don't see how that's debatable.  Now, you can succeed in making the transition like Young, but when you first make the move and haven't proven you can play in the new spot, you're out of position.  Having a skill set doesn't mean you'll automatically succeed.  

Apparently the Bucs are listening to offers for Jeremy Zuttah. He has been a solid center for them and he might be released. Any interest?

I'm sure we'd be interested in him if he got released. He's got that Tamba Bay connection.

Bring him and Kenny Britt in and we'd have picked up two former Rutgers players.

Still shocked Chester hasn't been released?

I think that Chester won't be released until they actually see on the field what the other guards can actually do.  My guess is that they would like one of the 2nd or 3rd year guys to beat him out, but they don't want to cut him just in case they can't.  

LeRibeus has a history of weight issues, and while it's reported that he might have finally worked himself back into shape by the end of last year, you can't be sure what you're going to get until you see him on the field.  At least in Mini-camps, if not in training camp.

Hurt was hurt all last year. On PUP and then IR, if I'm not mistaken.

GHH's comment about the fact that Shanahan was the devil and just didn't want to play young OL guys just to screw with the team aside, Gettis couldn't beat out a horrible Chester or Kory L. last year. I'm in the camp saying if he was showing enough in practice, he probably would have gotten a nod, at least in the last game, because Shanahan actually did reward those guys who practiced well. So, I'm going with the fact that he just didn't show enough to get on the field.  

Shawn Lauvao is new, and they haven't seen him yet.

So, unless they absolutely need the cap space, you keep Chester until you can see if LeRibs has progressed, Hurt is healthy, Gettis has improved, and Lauvao is the guy you thought he was. Then you cut him later if you have other guys who have stepped up. 

I am not sure what criteria people judge our SAF play.

But my biggest issues with our SAFs is tackling.

Coverage is really hard to judge through stats and our Cover 3 heavy scheme our SAFs didn't have a lot in terms of coverage responsibilities. I don't recall Meriweather getting beat a lot by the post or the seam. The coverage weaknesses that I saw were man coverage against the TE w/Doughty and early in the season when Biggers/Rambo were in deep middle coverage they were lost/abused in zone. But the staff seemed to realize this and reduced their coverage snaps.

Adding a pass rush will help some in the areas above but it will also help any SAF we bring in.

But what about tackling? Those guys missed a lot of tackles. Tackling ability would be nice.

Right now it seems the FO is content to play the waiting game with the available SAFs.

As the off-season progresses the price for all players available goes down.

Whatever salary demands Clemons wants (I assume he wants the most of the remaining SAFs) will come down the same goes for the rest of the SAFs including Meriweather.

But I would really prefer to land SAFs other then Meriweather and Doughty. And Doughty is one of my fav Redskins a true role model but business is business.

so if we were to sign Kenny Britt what is the over/under of him getting a DUI in his first 3 months here?

There were a lot of posts of this type about Josh Gordon, and he managed to have a pretty decent year and has avoided trouble.

So it is possible. I am sure if/when the Skins sign him there will be clauses in the contract to protect the team.

Otherwise, why not give him a try. A player with speed and talent that needs some maturity.

Also, they way RGIII likes to work closely with his receivers could really help with Britt.

For those worried about OL size, if we sign Penn, and with this OL (LT Trent, LG Lauvao, C Lich, RG Chester, RT Penn), we'd have an average weight of 314.6, which would put us at 16th for heaviest OL in the league last season.

I don't really think it matters that much, but they'd be heavier than Seattle, NO, GB, Eagles, and Pats OLs. (and tied with Cleveland's from last season).

If Adam Gettis took over for Chester then it would go down, he's 292 and Chester is 309.  If LeRibeus takes over, it would go up slightly (312 lbs).

Again, I don't really think it makes a big difference since good OL play is more important than size, but I've read several comments on it.

You're so definitive about it, yet you've never seen him play FS.  If you'd have stopped at he had the skill set to play FS, that'd be different.  You went all in talking about potential pro bowls at the FS spot.  

When you change positions to a position you've never played, you're out of position.   I don't see how that's debatable.  Now, you can succeed in making the transition like Young, but when you first make the move and haven't proven you can play in the new spot, you're out of position.  Having a skill set doesn't mean you'll automatically succeed.  

Agreed.

I feel like I say this all the time now but I was one of Amerson lone supporters prior to him wearing the Burgundy and Gold. But Amerson is decent tackler for a CB but right now doesn't display the anywhere near the tackling ability to be a fulltime FS. Further CB is a more valuable position then SAF it doesn't make much sense to me to move a starting caliber CB to SAF.

For those worried about OL size, if we sign Penn, and with this OL (LT Trent, LG Lauvao, C Lich, RG Chester, RT Penn), we'd have an average weight of 314.6, which would put us at 16th for heaviest OL in the league last season.

I don't really think it matters that much, but they'd be heavier than Seattle, NO, GB, Eagles, and Pats OLs. (and tied with Cleveland's from last season).

If Adam Gettis took over for Chester then it would go down, he's 292 and Chester is 309. If LeRibeus takes over, it would go up slightly (312 lbs).

Again, I don't really think it makes a big difference since good OL play is more important than size, but I've read several comments on it.

Adam Gettis weight is now 315, he or Leribus have to be starting LG in my opinion, if Chester is still here next year we are in big trouble.

If Adam Gettis took over for Chester then it would go down, he's 292 and Chester is 309. If LeRibeus takes over, it would go up slightly (312 lbs).

I don't know that size is so important. With teams running Dlines like the Seahawks do, size might not matter.

If we sign Penn, I think I can take a deep breath and relax a bit. Still very concerned about our ILBs though.

I';m very concerned about a lot of areas of our team but ti is what it is and there's only so much you can attend to. 

Riley and Hayward will probably have to suffice for this year at least. We could do worse. 

Hail. 

No, it's Haslett who said the safeties are interchangeable. I'll find the quote in a bit.

I'd like to see the quote again to refresh my memory. My recollection though is that he said every coach would love to have two safeties that are interchangeable, but that it's very rare to have two players that are adept in the box and in deep coverage - hence the designation of FS vs SS.

Meriweather is an interesting one - one one hand, he is much better suited to the SS role, on the other hand, he was quite poor in tackling last year (a rather key trait for a SS). We can only hope that was due to different angles and such playing deep.

I'm fine with Meriweather returning (to compete at SS) given Thomas' health concerns, but I'd make sure at least one FS is brought in to compete with Rambo.

At the very least we need a FS that can clean up when our 'gambling' corners miss... and I'm pretty confident that Meriweather shouldn't be that guy.

I agree with your premise, but I think Gettis and Ribs are now both over 312... LeRibeus possibly well over that. Lich. also mentioned beefing up, so we'll see.

If we sign Penn, I think I can take a deep breath and relax a bit. Still very concerned about our ILBs though.

By most accounts, Riley was top rated ILB on market this year, hopefully he continues to improve. I figure we're likely gonna get a Skov, Smallwood in draft. I don' know why Angerer has not signed yet, but we're probably better than most are writing.

I';m very concerned about a lot of areas of our team but ti is what it is and there's only so much you can attend to. 

Riley and Hayward will probably have to suffice for this year at least. We could do worse. 

Hail. 

Don't forget about Sharpton ... he's the definite #2 starter right now next to Riley. At least he will compete with Keenan Robinson for that spot ... don't think Hayward was brought in to start ... only as depth / ST.

personally, I'm pretty comfortable with the ILB core right now. Maybe not for the future, but we don't have to address it further this year. As has been stated, we kept 4 ILBs last year, and right now we pretty much have that core for at least 2014

Hail. 

I think it may be safer to assume that Sharpton will be preferred to Hayward. I'm rooting for Keenan but it's hard to predict his recovery success.

I agree with your premise, but I think Gettis and Ribs are now both over 312... LeRibeus possibly well over that. Lich. also mentioned beefing up, so we'll see.

I'm wondering how all that playing around with weight will transfer to the field.  LeRiebus, for one, was been +- 40 lbs or so the last year and change.  Gettis put on about 20-25.  If he's never played that big, I'm curious to see how he does at that size.  

So whats the feelings like here at ES today?  Do we feel good about Penn putting his name down on a contract from the Skins before day is over?

I'm not all that excited about Penn personally. He was over weight in Tampa and at 340 (which is around what he reportedly played at last year) I don't think he is much of an upgrade on Polumbus. If he suddenly got the message, put in the work and played at 315 he would potentially be a big upgrade though.

In any case I would think he will be looking for somewhere he can play or compete for a LT spot since they get paid more than RTs. If he has no takers there we may have a shot but as I have said before in this thread I'd want any contract to have some weight clauses in it.

I think it may be safer to assume that Sharpton will be preferred to Hayward. I'm rooting for Keenan but it's hard to predict his recovery success.

Don't sleep on Hayward = I think he will have a good shot at winning that second ILB spot.

Archived